Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Stupid play calling on last possession

masterlock

Very disappointed and frustrated with the play-calling on the Colts' last series. With 43 seconds to win the game, no attempt whatsoever to stretch the field. Instead, Luck throws 5 short, underneath passes and squanders precious time. No attempt at intermediate-to-long passes until 5 seconds left, and then it takes Jacoby to throw the Hail Mary. 

29 minutes ago, #12. said:

I was more disappointed with the red zone play calling.  

I have to agree strongly with this comment...

If Turbin is in the line-up, I'm thinking that running a heavy-body RB behind our strong interior OL should be an option to explore. And Christine Michael is NOT a scratch from what I can see: he wasn't called on even once to carry the ball! 

Even if our longer term plans don't include him, he should be used, even if only to spell Wilkins for a few plays, but not have to resort to trick plays to Hines.

Just my $0.02...

3rd down at the 3 to ice the game, first mistake is not calling time out to go over the next 2 plays.  2nd mistake is throwing a fade to a 5-8 shrimp w/ not enough field to drop it in, Tom Brady couldn’t make that throw.    3rd mistake, you have Luck under center & he can’t react to any pressure!  3rd down play should have been a run, with a hurry up play depending on success on the run.  At least you keep the d honest & selling out for one or the other.  Hard to believe that 2 runs couldn’t have netted a td with RK, QN & MS up the middle.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, NDcolt said:

3rd down at the 3 to ice the game, first mistake is not calling time out to go over the next 2 plays.  2nd mistake is throwing a fade to a 5-8 shrimp w/ not enough field to drop it in, Tom Brady couldn’t make that throw.    3rd mistake, you have Luck under center & he can’t react to any pressure!  3rd down play should have been a run, with a hurry up play depending on success on the run.  At least you keep the d honest & selling out for one or the other.  Hard to believe that 2 runs couldn’t have netted a td with RK, QN & MS up the middle.

I agree with this post with one caveat: our two running backs (Hines and Wilkins) were having some tough slugging going downhill vs. the PHI D-line. However, as I stated earlier, the decision not to try another back (Michael) in these short yardage situations, even if only to "sell" play-action, still confounds my admittedly senior mind!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, NDcolt said:

I would agree and said as much to my wife at the time.  Why not try the run, you only had to get to the 1 to get a 1st down there, you don't need to reach the end-zone.  And then you would still have 4th down with a hurry-up as you said were it not successful.  I'm sure Frank is kicking himself after that one.

• Like 1

I really was impressed with our D this game EXCEPT for the one drive that they gave repeated first downs under penalties to the Eagles. That one drive to me was why we lost this game IMO.

We had this problem in our last loss as well and the penalties their I believe cost us that game as well.

For as solid as our D has been the penalties at key times cost us. To get a PI call on a 2nd and 26 was ridiculous and then on a 4th and 2 we get a penalty that gave them the first down. Those two plays were KEY to giving up the points that indeed cost us this game. (IN MY OPINION)

• Like 2

9 hours ago, masterlock said:

Very disappointed and frustrated with the play-calling on the Colts' last series. With 43 seconds to win the game, no attempt whatsoever to stretch the field. Instead, Luck throws 5 short, underneath passes and squanders precious time. No attempt at intermediate-to-long passes until 5 seconds left, and then it takes Jacoby to throw the Hail Mary. 

So let me see if I got this straight....  

The Colts had first down on around the Eagles 10 with about a minute and a half to go.    We had FOUR cracks at the go-ahead touchdown.

We did not score and blew that golden oppportunity. 

But you’re MORE UPSET that we had the ball around our own 25 with just under a minute to go and didn’t score from 75 yards out with no time outs.

Seriously?     I mean.....   seriously?!?

Dear God,  this makes no sense....

Wowza.....

5 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

The Colts had first down on around the Eagles 10 with about a minute and a half to go.    We had FOUR cracks at the go-ahead touchdown.

But you’re MORE UPSET that we had the ball around our own 25 with just under a minute to go and didn’t score from 75 yards out with no time outs.

Wowza.....

Huh? Who said I was "more upset"? 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Wowza.....

Where did he say he was "MORE upset" over? 2 different drives and situations, stayed on topic with his title, never mentioned the drive before. Just curious why so nasty about it?

• Like 1

16 hours ago, masterlock said:

The Eagles where in a prevent defense.  Any attempt to stretch the field would have been met with 5 Eagle defenders.  You can't really "stretch the field" against a prevent defense.  However you can get a free 10 yards on a short pass or a run.  

The play calling was good in the final drive.

My issue with the play calling was in the red zone, especially after the defense gifted us 2 turnovers.  Half the plays ran where passes into the endzone to Ebron.  Part of this might have been Luck's fault, it felt like he was forcing those throws.

We should have ran the ball or done some sort passes to try and get right on the goal line for the score.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Happy2BeHere said:

I really was impressed with our D this game EXCEPT for the one drive that they gave repeated first downs under penalties to the Eagles. That one drive to me was why we lost this game IMO.

We had this problem in our last loss as well and the penalties their I believe cost us that game as well.

For as solid as our D has been the penalties at key times cost us. To get a PI call on a 2nd and 26 was ridiculous

It was defensive holding, not PI

8 hours ago, Happy2BeHere said:

and then on a 4th and 2 we get a penalty that gave them the first down. Those two plays were KEY to giving up the points that indeed cost us this game. (IN MY OPINION)

There were more...

6 hours ago, Luck 4 president said:

The whole game was terrible. 2 yard passes every play. So predictable and easy to cover. If it wasn’t for that PI on the underthrown deep ball to TY we wouldn’t have scored a TD. Luck’s (season) YPA of 5.3 yards is one of the lowest in history. Something needs to change

I requires everyone knowing and practicing the whole playbook.  I'll wager Reich is still installing.  My guess is the 'easy' and 'shorter stuff  (what the majority here have clamored for for almost 5 seasons) was first items. The rest comes depending upon how the guys are doing in the classroom, and the game plan (tailored to an opponent). Then they have to practice it.  A lot. Ideally, not until they get it right, but until they don't get it wrong. But with reduced number of padded practices, and heavy reliance on walk throughs, it is tough on a young team.

55 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Exactly. Had the refs allowed us to play football, that drive never happens and we win the game. 

All 5 penalties on that massive Eagles drive weren't really penalties?  I wish I could have stayed to see the game live, but on radio this is what I heard during that drive-

It seems the youth and inconsistency of our D has showed up here in the 4th quarter.  I could not believe all the penalties that we were getting. I also know we fans will call penalties against us bogus or ticky tack, so I wont even ask again.  But it sounded bad on radio.  Among normal football and even some really good football plays on that drive, I heard -

** Defensive Holding Hairston - only 5 yards but gave them an important 1st down! (and erased a 2nd and twenty six!).

a bit later-

** 1st and 10, Hunt lines up in neutral zone, 1st and 5 now.

** Next play, illegal contact Pierre Desir, declined because of a 12 yard completion gain.

** 4th and 5 at Indy 42, incomplete pass, but Defensive holding J. Sheard, 5 yds auto 1st down

** 2nd and 7 at Indy 9, pass complete for 6, no play, 5 yard defensive offside, A. Muhammad

2nd and 2 from Indy 4, run up the gut, TD

17 plays, 11 minutes and 18 seconds run off, but still time for an Indy comeback.

Yes I heard the couple sacks in there etc.. but it seemed all good plays were essentially wiped out by mental mistakes/penalties.  I was thinking this is what young inexperienced teams do. Especially against seasoned veterans like defending Super Bowl champs.

We have a lot of things to learn, but can/will grown throughout the season.  I'm hopiing these guys really gel next year, and some vets aren't in the training room instead of the games.

7 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

The Eagles where in a prevent defense.  Any attempt to stretch the field would have been met with 5 Eagle defenders.  You can't really "stretch the field" against a prevent defense.  However you can get a free 10 yards on a short pass or a run.  

The play calling was good in the final drive.

My issue with the play calling was in the red zone, especially after the defense gifted us 2 turnovers.  Half the plays ran where passes into the endzone to Ebron.  Part of this might have been Luck's fault, it felt like he was forcing those throws.

We should have ran the ball or done some sort passes to try and get right on the goal line for the score.  

I'm sorry, but you couldn't be more wrong. Doesn't matter that the Eagles were in a prevent defense. The Colts were down 4 points, and so the game was ALREADY LOST unless they drove the length of the field. With 43 seconds left, 89 yards to go, and the game on the line, you can't let the Eagles defensive alignment dictate your play-calling.  In that situation, you have to take a chance, and rely on your players to simply execute. Sometimes, you have to win in contested situations DESPITE the odds.

The results speak for themselves. The defense rests. ;-)

6 hours ago, masterlock said:

I'm sorry, but you couldn't be more wrong. Doesn't matter that the Eagles were in a prevent defense. The Colts were down 4 points, and so the game was ALREADY LOST unless they drove the length of the field. With 43 seconds left, 89 yards to go, and the game on the line, you can't let the Eagles defensive alignment dictate your play-calling.  In that situation, you have to take a chance, and rely on your players to simply execute. Sometimes, you have to win in contested situations DESPITE the odds.

The results speak for themselves. The defense rests. ;-)

You would very likely have play called an  interception.  Reich had Luck take what was given. get closer to mid field. Then Jacoby Brissett (with an arm Luck does not yet have back in full) had a Hail Mary opportunity. Yes, hitting them, they are rare, but better than interception tryoing to get in scoring range....  IMO.

23 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Wowza.....

For the life of me I just can’t figure out why they didn’t try to go downfield.

Dn6fLrsU8AAuZ-s?format=jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

17 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

You would very likely have play called an  interception.  Reich had Luck take what was given. get closer to mid field. Then Jacoby Brissett (with an arm Luck does not yet have back in full) had a Hail Mary opportunity. Yes, hitting them, they are rare, but better than interception tryoing to get in scoring range....  IMO.

It's all a risk at that point. But I think you have to take shots in that situation.  Maybe you get a flag and end up with a 30 yard penalty that also stops the clock and then you don't need nearly as long of a hail mary...or one at all. And teams have proven, especially against the Colts, that you can move the ball against prevent defense. PHI's strength is the DL, not secondary.

Or maybe it does get intercepted...but dinking and dunking the clock away to set up an incredibly low percentage 60 yard hail mary is not an effective or efficient way to play out that game.

If Luck can't make those throws (and I have my doubts he can)...then I think Brissett should have been in from the start. 

14 hours ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

So you just give up then? It's not like PHI invented the prevent defense. Mixing in a 6-8 yard pass is fine...but throwing nothing but those plays right into their hands and doesn't increase your chances of winning. The game is over anyways if you don't get the ball downfield...so take some shots. Maybe someone makes a play...or maybe they might even get a flag thrown. None of that happens with short passes to a guy running out of bounds.

"Stupid" is a poor word to describe the playcalling, but I don't think it was good playcalling. Throwing a bunch of a short passes that hardly move the ball upfield...only to set up a monster hail mary when the tallest WR on this team is barely 6' tall...is doomed to fail from the start. 

(On that note...I have no idea why Swoope wasn't in. And what was Ebron doing trotting downfield? He is probably the only real threat to bring that ball in. Colts need 1-2 big athletic WRs on this team.)

Still, that series pales in comparison to the 3rd and 4th down plays the on the earlier posession.

13 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

So you just give up then? It's not like PHI invented the prevent defense. Mixing in a 6-8 yard pass is fine...but throwing nothing but those plays right into their hands and doesn't increase your chances of winning. The game is over anyways if you don't get the ball downfield...so take some shots. Maybe someone makes a play...or maybe they might even get a flag thrown. None of that happens with short passes to a guy running out of bounds.

"Stupid" is a poor word to describe the playcalling, but I don't think it was good playcalling. Throwing a bunch of a short passes that hardly move the ball upfield...only to set up a monster hail mary when the tallest WR on this team is barely 6' tall...is doomed to fail from the start. 

(On that note...I have no idea why Swoope wasn't in. And what was Ebron doing trotting downfield? He is probably the only real threat to bring that ball in. Colts need 1-2 big athletic WRs on this team.)

Still, that series pales in comparison to the 3rd and 4th down plays the on the earlier posession.

Not to break down your entire post, but I'd bet good money they weren't going to call anything on a shot from there (pass interference wise).

I think it was a lose/lose situation honestly. I mean 20 seconds is nothing really for that much field to cover.

15 hours ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

For the last time, the Eagles coverage doesn't matter in that situation. You have to play the hand you were dealt, which is 89 yards to go  43 seconds. That means putting 5 receivers out there and counting on superior execution. 

The results speak for themselves. 'Nuff said.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, IinD said:

Not to break down your entire post, but I'd bet good money they weren't going to call anything on a shot from there (pass interference wise).

I think it was a lose/lose situation honestly. I mean 20 seconds is nothing really for that much field to cover.

Yeah...given what we saw in that game...they aren’t flagging PHI. 

But I agree it’s a lose/lose situation. The only way to change that is to take risks and get it downfield. 

But again, I don’t really care about that series (except from what it might say about Luck’s arm at this point). The earlier plays at the goal line were so bad.

2 hours ago, masterlock said:

For the last time, the Eagles coverage doesn't matter in that situation. You have to play the hand you were dealt, which is 89 yards to go  43 seconds. That means putting 5 receivers out there and counting on superior execution. 

Yep. You don’t win by conceding. 

Either Luck couldn’t make those throws or they didn’t believe they could get that superior execution from the current skill position talent.

Could be somewhere in between...the latter is an issue onto its own. But hopefully it’s one they will address in the off-season.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, masterlock said:

They have 6 DBs playing 20 yards off the line of scrimmage, & none of our WRs are getting behind that. So the Colts’ strategy was to get it to the 50 & try for the Hail Mary, how is that such a bad idea?

• Like 1

I can't believe people think Reich was calling for short throws.  A few things... one, there are other receivers.  What routes did they run... were they 'open'?  Doesn't the QB have the ability to-

1. go through progressions... hit the most open receiver

2. change a play... get out of a bad play and into a good play

The QB in 2 minute drill mode is as/more important then the HC/OC.  The Colts prior drive deep into Eagles Redzone showed Luck's skills at moving the team a long way in a short period of time.

At the Colts beginning of the last drive, the Eagles radio announcers called it before it happened.  They mentioned the Eagles would play off and force short plays and Colts would try to get far enough downfield in the minimal time left to attempt a Hail Mary.  It exactly played out that way.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

I can't believe people think Reich was calling for short throws.  A few things... one, there are other receivers.  What routes did they run... were they 'open'?  Doesn't the QB have the ability to-

1. go through progressions... hit the most open receiver

2. change a play... get out of a bad play and into a good play

The QB in 2 minute drill mode is as/more important then the HC/OC.  The Colts prior drive deep into Eagles Redzone showed Luck's skills at moving the team a long way in a short period of time.

At the Colts beginning of the last drive, the Eagles radio announcers called it before it happened.  They mentioned the Eagles would play off and force short plays and Colts would try to get far enough downfield in the minimal time left to attempt a Hail Mary.  It exactly played out that way.

That's exactly how any coach plays that situation.   Take your free 10 yards a couple times.  Get close enough to make one heave into the endzone and hope your guys can come away with the jump ball.  

• Like 1

The Hail Mary actually had a shot. If TY had seen the ball, he could have caught it at the back of the end zone off of the tip. 

That attempt isn't even feasible if Luck just tries to force the ball downfield against prevent defense. Instead they went from the 11 to almost midfield, and then took a shot at the bomb. And it almost worked. 

• Like 2

I have been avoiding this thread.  I figured with a title like that it would include at least a couple, probably a few people who have no understanding of football or how to play the game and then try to claim by not doing it their way the Colts were not playing to win but playing to not lose.

But I finally broke down and read this thread.  I don't know if I should say I WAS NOT disappointed or I WAS disappointed.  I was NOT disappointed in that the thread was exactly was I thought it would be.  I was disappointed in that there are still people, who claim to be football fans, yet have no understanding at all of situational football.  I mean my word, one poster actually made the statement that the coverage doesn't matter, :realitycheck:  Come on, what kind of *ic statement is that?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Coffeedrinker said:

I have been avoiding this thread.  I figured with a title like that it would include at least a couple, probably a few people who have no understanding of football or how to play the game and then try to claim by not doing it their way the Colts were not playing to win but playing to not lose.

But I finally broke down and read this thread.  I don't know if I should say I WAS NOT disappointed or I WAS disappointed.  I was NOT disappointed in that the thread was exactly was I thought it would be.  I was disappointed in that there are still people, who claim to be football fans, yet have no understanding at all of situational football.  I mean my word, one poster actually made the statement that the coverage doesn't matter, :realitycheck:  Come on, what kind of *ic statement is that?

I don't know which is worse, the comments in this thread or the Bell thread.  I read through both and wanted to bash my keyboard against the computer screen.