Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Adam Vinatieri: 1st Ballot HOF

TKnight24

1st ballot Hall-of-Famer...?

Good question.

It may defend on the year he retires..

Adam isn't retiring after this season (I dont think) but lets say Adrian Peterson, Frank Gore,  Richard Sherman, Antonio Gates and Larry Fitzgerald retire after this season..

It would be tough for Adam V. in a year like that

2 hours ago, coltsva said:

How could the best player of all time at his position not be a first ballot Hall of

Famer?

Shame on voters if he isn’t.

Well.....

Ray Guy is the best punter in history and he’s not even in the Hall, first ballot or otherwise...   not THAT is a shame...

So Adam going in on the first ballot is more likely that he won’t than he will...

Also...   with all this love for Adam flowing...   I wonder what the reaction will be if he goes in as a Patriot and not a Colt.   Two of his game winning kicks gave New England Super Bowl titles...

Just saying...

13 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Well.....

Ray Guy is the best punter in history and he’s not even in the Hall, first ballot or otherwise...   not THAT is a shame...

So Adam going in on the first ballot is more likely that he won’t than he will...

Also...   with all this love for Adam flowing...   I wonder what the reaction will be if he goes in as a Patriot and not a Colt.   Two of his game winning kicks gave New England Super Bowl titles...

Just saying...

I am pretty sure Ray Guy was inducted into the HoF about 2-3 years ago.

Edit - went into the Hall in 2014.

Also, there is no going in as a player from a specific team in the NFL.

• Thanks 3

15 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Well.....

Just saying...

There is a lot wrong with this post.   You should really fact check

• Like 1

3 hours ago, coltsva said:

How could the best player of all time at his position not be a first ballot Hall of

Famer?

Shame on voters if he isn’t.

Well because he is a kicker who may be trumped by other position players 5 years after he retires.

That's how.

He is going into the HoF.  It is just not close to a lock that he goes in on the first ballot.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Well.....

Just saying...

Different tha baseball, NFL Hall of Fame players are not assigned to a team upon entry.  Very doubtful he'll go in on first ballot.  Morten Anderson who is the NFL all time leading scorer got in on his fifth attempt.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Guy went in about 15-20 years after he retired.    The discussion was about whether AV is going in on the first ballot.    THATS the big picture.

You want to address that point?

Guy is in.   Players don't go in as a member of a team.   AV will not be a first ballot hall of famer.  Neither will any kicker

2 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

Guy is in.   Players don't go in as a member of a team.   AV will not be a first ballot hall of famer.  Neither will any kicker

Feel free to look at the thread.    Look at the other posts.     Other posters noted my mistakes.   But they were kind about it.    They were nice about it.     Civil.    Decent.     There was only one poster who decided to stick a knife in me and twist it.     If you're not sure who I'm talking about,  look around....    if there's a mirror in your home,   I'm sure you'll find the guy.

And we both know why you did this when it wasn't necessary.....   you're not fooling anyone.

Don't lose sight of the fact kickers are still frowned upon by some as not being football players. Stupid but true. My point is if they feel that way why then are the players on their knees arm-in-arm when the game's outcome depends on the kickers attempt at a field goal or extra point??!!

• Like 1

I don’t think a lot of people realize just how good Adam has been. He will have every meaningful kicker record by this year (he’s only two away on the game winning field goals). 

Punters are inportant and are critical on a team, but kickers win games. Adam has kicked some of the most high-pressure kicks on the biggest stages. 

Hands down he’ll get in. First ballot will be close, especially if we have more cry baby WRs creating the backlog.

• Thanks 1