Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Difference between our current d?

Trace Pyott

I’m not too savvy with football schemes but from what I’ve seen and most likely I’m wrong but it seemed like our new defense was more attacking and going through gaps to get to the QB where our defense last year was more concerned about plugging those gaps and making the linebackers make tackles is that a fair way of looking at it?  Also I cannot remember a colts defense since I’ve been a fan (1998) that had the up the middle penetration we have had the last two games. Man if only we had guys like Mathis and freeney on the edge. Wow it would be fun to watch.  

• Like 1

Eberflus has been doing a real nice job with guys up front stunting them and having them slant and just attack. And boy has Hunt found himself a home in this defense. He should have had another sack there in that last minute too. He’s just a big strong dude, and when he locks his long arms out on guards with short arms, good luck to the guard. Plus he’s real tall which is nice because if he’s getting push and gets his hands up... he can really affect throwing lanes for the opposing QB.

• Like 2

I watched the 10 minute highlights on Youtube again (4th time). Hassan Ridgeway was blowin' up the middle almost every defensive play! When Sheard got the sack it was Ridgeway that got the initial push which opened the gap for Sheard. It's really unfortunate that Hassan has a strained calf muscle. I hope he heals quickly and comes back with a vengeance. 

There are some things that both Off. & Def. need to shore up, but they're on their way.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, CR91 said:

Thats the difference between a 3-4 to a 4-3. Less gap responsibility and more attacking gaps for the dline

I wouldn't put it that way.  There are multiple variations of a 3-4 defense...both 1-gap and 2-gap.  So it's the difference between a 1-gap defense and a 2-gap defense.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, J@son said:

I wouldn't put it that way.  There are multiple variations of a 3-4 defense...both 1-gap and 2-gap.  So it's the difference between a 1-gap defense and a 2-gap defense.

Of course, but the main objective of the 3-4 is for the dline to take up multiple lineman so they free up the LBers to make plays 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, J@son said:

In a 2-gap defense that's true.  Not in a 1-gap 3-4 though :)

First time I’ve ever heard two different systems for a 3-4. Could you give an example of two teams that run a 1 gap and a 2 gap just to get a better look at things? I appreciate the knowledge!

12 minutes ago, MarquisJ said:

First time I’ve ever heard two different systems for a 3-4. Could you give an example of two teams that run a 1 gap and a 2 gap just to get a better look at things? I appreciate the knowledge!

The Colts actually ran both under Pagano, just at different times.  When Pagano first came over, the Colts were primarily a 2 gap 3-4 defense.  But then they drafted Hendry Anderson and David Parry, released Josh Chapman and Montori Hughes and for the next couple of years were primarily a 1-gap 3-4.  This, incidentally, is why I've never fully bought into the "Anderson didn't fit this defense" argument.  :)

Aside from that, the most well known 1-gap 3-4 guy is Wade Phillips.  His defenses have almost always been a 1-gap 3-4 defense.  Pittsburgh on the other hand I think has primarily been a 2-gap 3-4 for many years now.  

• Like 3

4 hours ago, GoColts00 said:

I watched the 10 minute highlights on Youtube again (4th time). Hassan Ridgeway was blowin' up the middle almost every defensive play! When Sheard got the sack it was Ridgeway that got the initial push which opened the gap for Sheard. It's really unfortunate that Hassan has a strained calf muscle. I hope he heals quickly and comes back with a vengeance. 

There are some things that both Off. & Def. need to shore up, but they're on their way.

I noticed that during the game as well, he was getting serious penetration like he was during the pre-season. One play he nearly intercepted a snap. I hope he can get back soon, he looks like a guy on a mission this year.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, J@son said:

The Colts actually ran both under Pagano, just at different times.  When Pagano first came over, the Colts were primarily a 2 gap 3-4 defense.  But then they drafted Hendry Anderson and David Parry, released Josh Chapman and Montori Hughes and for the next couple of years were primarily a 1-gap 3-4.  This, incidentally, is why I've never fully bought into the "Anderson didn't fit this defense" argument:)

Aside from that, the most well known 1-gap 3-4 guy is Wade Phillips.  His defenses have almost always been a 1-gap 3-4 defense.  Pittsburgh on the other hand I think has primarily been a 2-gap 3-4 for many years now.  

Watching Anderson with the Jets is kind of bitter sweet. Glad is on a good D now and playing lights out. He seemed such an awesome guy. 

• Like 1

On 9/18/2018 at 9:56 PM, Alex22 said:

Watching Anderson with the Jets is kind of bitter sweet. Glad is on a good D now and playing lights out. He seemed such an awesome guy. 

Awesome guy, average to below average player, frequently injured.

2 games with the Jets, 1 tackle.

2 minutes ago, rock8591 said:

Awesome guy, average to below average player, frequently injured.

2 games with the Jets, 1 tackle.

His role is primarily to soak up blockers not to rack up the tackles. I have been watching him and he looks good much better than his '1 tackle'. However, I don't think he is a fit in our new scheme. 

On 9/18/2018 at 4:35 AM, Trace Pyott said:

I’m not too savvy with football schemes but from what I’ve seen and most likely I’m wrong but it seemed like our new defense was more attacking and going through gaps to get to the QB where our defense last year was more concerned about plugging those gaps and making the linebackers make tackles is that a fair way of looking at it?  Also I cannot remember a colts defense since I’ve been a fan (1998) that had the up the middle penetration we have had the last two games. Man if only we had guys like Mathis and freeney on the edge. Wow it would be fun to watch.  

I think this is do to DT Al Woods balling out this year. I had wrote him off last year, but this year he has come out the gates jacking up interior olinemen. Marcus Hunt too. Lets hope it gets better and better as the year progresses. 

Kudos to the new coaching staff.

On 9/18/2018 at 3:35 AM, Trace Pyott said:

It’s a good observation.  Mind you, there are many variations / hybrids of defenses these days, and base defense is used only 1/3 of the time or less. (Sub packages dominate in these pass happy times)

Jason kind of boils it down to easy to handle size.  A 2 gap defense typically has bigger, less explosive less speedy players lined directly right up on the Offensive player in front of him (Nose T on center, Ends on the Tackles, or shaded just slightly on their outside shoulder).  They have to ‘read’ the play as it develops, then try to plug the most appropriate (of the 2) gap up in front of them.

1 gap players (typically 4 -3 alignment, like we are now runnning) are often smaller/quicker/faster and more explosive than 2 gap D linemen, and they are lined up off the shoulders (and in a gap) of the Offensive guys in front, and their responsibility is determined pre-snap.  And their goal is quickly split and penetrate that gap as fast as they can. The linebackers have a gap to mind now as well, but it is designed to keep the WILL (Leonard) as free as possible to flow and make plays.  And everyone is tasked to attack the ball/carrier. At all times, as fast as they can, while first executing their main responsibility. It appears to be working.