Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Offense Not Sexy Right Now But...

Tombstone

Why does so many people want to have 20 yard chunk plays every snap and then complain when so many fail and drives stall? Chunk plays are higher risk than 5.9 yard avg plays. Yes they are fun to watch and when they work it’s awesome but I am just as thrilled to see drives last 6 minutes and wear out defenses and then play risky in the fourth Q when the defense is exhausted and your success of hitting chunk plays should then increase. If it means going to the playoffs with a 5.9 ypp/avg or sitting at home with a 10.2 ypp/avg, I’m fine with 5.9 or 5.1 is a matter of fact. Give me 4.1  ypc runs, followed by 5.9 ypp during every series and we should win games. 

• Like 9

11 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Pretty sure that's a first down every 2 attempts.   The mentality of this offense is to put the ball in the hands of the playmakers and take a few deep shots.   Mission accomplished so far

Teams with that low of an average don’t win often. Certainly not playoffs teams.

Maybe it will reach 7YPA before it’s said and done. But it is an issue if it doesn’t get better.

The rules are designed in favor of the offense to encourage scoring.  Scoring in the 20's is not going to cut it.   Maybe it will improve but we really don't have any playmakers besides TY.   No one is afraid of our other receivers.   It's too bad because we have the QB but no real weapons for him to exploit. 

Just now, richard pallo said:

The rules are designed in favor of the offense to encourage scoring.  Scoring in the 20's is not going to cut it.   Maybe it will improve but we really don't have any playmakers besides TY.   No one is afraid of our other receivers.   It's too bad because we have the QB but no real weapons for him to exploit. 

Ebron has a td in each of the last 2 games.  Grant had a great game against the Bengals.   What big name weapons has Tom Brady ever had outside of Moss

• Like 1

Wow, the negative nancies around here get old. The Colts just beat a team they weren't supposed to beat. Luck is only in his second game back after all those lost months. New coaches; new scheme; youngest squad in the league (if you discount Vinny); and still, the whining is incessant. This is a year that will frustrate and exhilarate. Get used to it and enjoy the ride. Its going to be bumpy, but fun. 

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Ebron has a td in each of the last 2 games.  Grant had a great game against the Bengals.   What big name weapons has Tom Brady ever had outside of Moss

Even when we play well it is easy for some to forget we are rebuilding and it is impossible to address every single weakness.  Even though it has been a while many people remember having Clark, Reggie, Marvin etc ... etc all at once so they are expecting it to be that way now.  I believe it will be that way at some point, just going to take a couple more years.

The staff did well with what we have by scheming and getting receivers open who otherwise would more than likely be covered in a less creative system (not mentioning OC names).

29 minutes ago, Jdubu said:

1) Why does so many people want to have 20 yard chunk plays every snap and then complain when so many fail and drives stall? Chunk plays are higher risk than 5.9 yard avg plays. Yes they are fun to watch and when they work it’s awesome but I am just as thrilled to see drives last 6 minutes and wear out defenses and then play risky in the fourth Q when the defense is exhausted and your success of hitting chunk plays should then increase.

2) If it means going to the playoffs with a 5.9 ypp/avg or sitting at home with a 10.2 ypp/avg, I’m fine with 5.9 or 5.1 is a matter of fact. Give me 4.1  ypc runs, followed by 5.9 ypp during every series and we should win games. 

Regarding the bolded:

1) I think that people aren't advocating for 20 yard chunk plays and then stalling out, rather, they're advocating for the Chiefs just did. Sustained drives as well as deep passes that result in points. Mahomes - 23 0f 28, 326yds and 6 TDs (4 the week before). This is exciting and efficient at the same time (only 5 incompletions). Keep in mind this is addressing what people want, not what is sustainable.

2) Those that you've mentioned are not the only options. Of course everyone would rather go to the playoffs, despite throwing for 5.9 ypp/avg as opposed to staying home and missing the playoffs, as indicated in your scenario.  But, theoretically you can also go to the playoffs with a highly efficient, downfield passing attack that puts up a lot of points, and a great rushing attack. I would much rather have that than the 5.9 ypa/avg. and the playoffs, if we're just going to randomly come up with scenarios for how and why we're in the playoffs.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jvan1973 said:

Pretty sure that's a first down every 2 attempts.   The mentality of this offense is to put the ball in the hands of the playmakers and take a few deep shots.   Mission accomplished so far

Chip away baby. Chip away.

Wanna know the secret to long drives? 3rd down conversions.  Wanna know the secret to 3rd down conversions? 3rd and short situations. Plain and simple.

I would also stress that our tackle situation is less than idea... which takes away opportunities to be agressive and put pressure on the back end of defenses... but that pressure is always there with Luck, TY, and now Ebron in the mix. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Hoose said:

Wow, the negative nancies around here get old. The Colts just beat a team they weren't supposed to beat. Luck is only in his second game back after all those lost months. New coaches; new scheme; youngest squad in the league (if you discount Vinny); and still, the whining is incessant. This is a year that will frustrate and exhilarate. Get used to it and enjoy the ride. Its going to be bumpy, but fun. 

Nothing frustrating if you put it in perspective... Just fun. 

Sit back and watch the young team grow... they are already exceeding our expectations.

• Like 1

This blueprint is the same the Patriots use.....bludgeon a defense with short passes, running plays, quick throws to running backs - THEN - once there is enough film of that then they do seam passes to the tightends, fake bubble screens and play action, over the top passes all for chunk plays.

They will come, you just have to be patient.

When Clarke and Haeg continue to show the ability to protect Luck and/or Castonzo comes back then we'll be able to run more seam routes with Ebron and Swoope (when/if he return to the 53) and Luck will have an extra half second to throw the deep ball.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Jdubu said:

Why does so many people want to have 20 yard chunk plays every snap and then complain when so many fail and drives stall? Chunk plays are higher risk than 5.9 yard avg plays. Yes they are fun to watch and when they work it’s awesome but I am just as thrilled to see drives last 6 minutes and wear out defenses and then play risky in the fourth Q when the defense is exhausted and your success of hitting chunk plays should then increase. If it means going to the playoffs with a 5.9 ypp/avg or sitting at home with a 10.2 ypp/avg, I’m fine with 5.9 or 5.1 is a matter of fact. Give me 4.1  ypc runs, followed by 5.9 ypp during every series and we should win games. 

Not to mention it helps keep your $120M+ QB from getting maimed while your young OL learns how to play in the NFL.

• Like 1

Looking back at that first touchdown drive of the Colts during Redskins game, that was the definition of sexy.  Sustained drive of several (I believe 10+) very productive “fore”plays followed by a beautiful and satisfying conclusion in the hands of #85. :fireworks:Was that PG13 enough for this forum?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

Well....    since you asked....

Rob Gronkowski...

As for WR’s...    Welker and Edelman for starters.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1