Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Unrest in Steel City?

PrincetonTiger

9 hours ago, LockeDown said:

It’s not an odd critique. They won Super Bowls with Tomlin. The issue is they used to have Lebeau and they drafted stars on defense.  Haven’t been the same since.  

But you said the GM hasn't prioritized the defense which I don't think that's true given how many resources they have put into that side of the ball.  They won Superbowl with Tomlin with a dated scheme that had it's last hay day.  That's a coaching issue not a GM issue. 

Lebeau was fading already that isn't the issue, it's the Tomlin effect on his DBs.  For all of the stars and talent they have they play tons and tons of zones and don't cater to the players they currently have.  They no longer have a game changing safety nor below average corners.  If they play press and force the QB to read a deeper route TJ Watt and Bud Dupree would be sack leaders by now.  But instead they play it super safe with corners 10-15 yards off coverage with an athlete in Artie Burns and a corner like Haden that is just a waste. 

7 hours ago, Surge89 said:

But you said the GM hasn't prioritized the defense which I don't think that's true given how many resources they have put into that side of the ball.  They won Superbowl with Tomlin with a dated scheme that had it's last hay day.  That's a coaching issue not a GM issue. 

Lebeau was fading already that isn't the issue, it's the Tomlin effect on his DBs.  For all of the stars and talent they have they play tons and tons of zones and don't cater to the players they currently have.  They no longer have a game changing safety nor below average corners.  If they play press and force the QB to read a deeper route TJ Watt and Bud Dupree would be sack leaders by now.  But instead they play it super safe with corners 10-15 yards off coverage with an athlete in Artie Burns and a corner like Haden that is just a waste. 

Maybe I’m wrong then because those names you mention don’t even ring a bell.  How do you know they are great if they have never played in the right system and produced ?

14 minutes ago, LockeDown said:

Maybe I’m wrong then because those names you mention don’t even ring a bell.  How do you know they are great if they have never played in the right system and produced ?

Ah it's hard to argue against this because the basis of your argument is off ...  TJ Watt was AFC defensive player of the week multiple times as a rookie.  Bud Dupree I'll give you that he's more just me based on his athleticsm that I watched coming out of the draft years back.  Joe Haden is a known commodity and pro bowler and Artie was a first round pick...  That's not mentioning Cam Heyward who is widely regarded as a top 5 DT/DE in the AFC and Ryan Shazier who was regarded as the best linebacker in football before his injury.... I'm not even a Steelers fan and I know these names.  

This is Tomlin's fault.  And it started last year, when he allowed Le'Veon Bell to name his own time and place to come to camp.  Just because he was 'so valuable to the team'.  Uh-uh.  Nope.

They tried to curb it this year by fining Bell, and taking a hard stand.  But the damage is done.  Now Antonio Brown believes he can do the same thing, and for the same reason.  He's 'so valuable to the team'.

It's time for Tomlin to lay down the law.  If you don't want to be here, then Get Out.  I would rather go to war with the worst players in the league, as long as they want to be here.

"Rather proclaim it, Westmorland, through my host,
That he which hath no stomach to this fight,
Let him depart; his passport shall be made, 
And crowns for convoy put into his purse;
We would not die in that man's company
That fears his fellowship to die with us." 

-- William Shakespeare, Henry V, Act 4, Scene 3

On 9/19/2018 at 11:39 PM, LockeDown said:

It doesn’t matter. In the end, their GM has decided offense is more important than defense and I don’t think they win another Super Bowl until they change that.  In fact, they can’t seem to get to the SB anymore. 

They took up the old Polian blueprint which only leads to disappointment

in the playoffs. Their old blueprint worked well with strong lines and

effective running game.