Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Vontae Davis ... retires?

MTC

14 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Anyone making this a thing about the Bills are clueless.

There are bad teams every year and when was the last time you heard about a player quitting during a game?

Never.

Thus is a BAD LOOK for Vonte.   A terrible mistake.   Sorry he did this.  I suspect he’ll regret it someday...   at least I hope he does.

Awful.

Well said, and there are plenty of J. Allen haters out there loving this because he was picked before two other QBs. J. Allen is not the problem, the Bills are just a bad football team in which a veteran quit on his team. 

• Like 1

Vontae never sounded like the sharpest guy ever in interviews so who knows what happened.

Not the coolest way to do it, but I equate this to someone quitting a job on their lunch break, which I've seen first hand.

If you literally can't do it, I suppose it's just an unfortunate event.

1 hour ago, IndySouthsider said:

You said it. A game.

A game in which the players are paid professionals. Would you just walk on out on your job? 

At the least you tell the coach your head isn't right and let him bench you for the rest of the game and retire with your head high. 

It really shouldn't be a point of contention that what he did was at best bizarre. 

1 minute ago, SteelCityColt said:

A game in which the players are paid professionals. Would you just walk on out on your job? 

At the least you tell the coach your head isn't right and let him bench you for the rest of the game and retire with your head high. 

It really shouldn't be a point of contention that what he did was at best bizarre. 

Very true

I saw it happen once before during my coaching days

We were on the road and one of the players made a stupid mistake and was pulled out immediately to be talked to and back talked the assistant then HC took off his pads and walked into the stands

25 minutes ago, SteelCityColt said:

You can better equate it to quitting your job during a presentation that you and your co-workers have prepared for.    One that you are part of and are helping to deliver.  

• Like 1

18 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Thus is a BAD LOOK for Vonte.   A terrible mistake.   Sorry he did this.  I suspect he’ll regret it someday...   at least I hope he does.

I think the's going to regret not waiting a few hours to "retire", probably by today. A guy that can get to the NFL has an ego and he's probably not going to enjoy being labeled a quitter by armchair types (me) from now until forever. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I don’t think the guarantee holds if you quit.    I could be wrong, this is unchartered territory, but that’s what I believe to be true.

I swear I read yesterday that he was going to make all that money. 

I googled and found this so you are right: 

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2018/9/17/17869020/buffalo-bills-can-recoup-nearly-all-vontae-davis-contract-money-following-retirement-signing-bonus

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, SteelCityColt said:

I understood he was inactive for week 1 and needed at least to be active for 1 game to guarantee his contract. This feels planned. 

Its bizarre for sure, but we don’t make people be where they don’t want to be.

33 minutes ago, IndySouthsider said:

I understood he was inactive for week 1 and needed at least to be active for 1 game to guarantee his contract. This feels planned. 

Its bizarre for sure, but we don’t make people be where they don’t want to be.

His contract isn't guaranteed.   He is going to lose about half the contract

Look, I am not backing the guy, but trying to imagine what he faced. What if he had a watershed moment, and realized he could not play one more down...not one. Would you feel better of him to be a liar and tell the coach he couldn't play when asked? I have had a similar watershed moment but it was at work...not in sports. It is quite powerful. Regardless, he was truth and not a liar. 

On 9/17/2018 at 6:14 PM, Flying Elvis said:

Few if any of us know the toils of playing football at that level. I can't blame him for walking away, literally, but it is true he should have remained on the sidelines until the game was over. That part he will sorely regret.

Hey there @Flying Elvis,

I tend to agree with your perspective on this situation. Sometimes, an athlete just reaches a point in their lives where they say "I'm out. It's over. I don't want the football grind anymore. I've made my money & wanna walk away now."

While I concur that it wasn't professional & it did leave his teammates high & dry, I won't crucify him for this. Bills fans have a reason to be upset. I just can't slam a guy who used to play for INDY.

Just remember that exiting like this prevents any other team from taking a flyer on you down the road so, be absolutely sure that you never want to play in this league ever again Vontae. Good luck man.

• Like 1

Off topic:

Do you mind if I ask you a question @Four2itus regarding your signature slogan?

What is it about You Tube that displeases you? Not making any judgments here BTW. Just curious.

The 1 thing I dislike about you tube are the ads that run before a video starts or commercials in the middle of lengthy highlight videos.

Thanks for your answer in advance. Sorry your You Tube experience was an unpleasant one my friend. :hat:

• Like 1

Meh.  A guy quit his job in the middle of his shift.  It happens all the time.  If he is good with it I am good with it.  People need to realize these players are just employees for a company.  If he doesn’t want to work anymore it isn’t my place to judge.  Most would act differently and that is our choice.  He will be forgotten in a month or two. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, AwesomeAustin said:

Meh.  A guy quit his job in the middle of his shift.  It happens all the time.  If he is good with it I am good with it.  People need to realize these players are just employees for a company. 

Not a great comparison.    It is more like a guy working his shift at a warehouse.   The tough part of the job is when the truck comes in and him and a few co-workers have to hand unload the truck.   The tough part.   Then he walks out and leaves the others to do it alone.   

It's a "d ick" move.     Not the end of the world and you are right, he'll be forgotten vary soon. 

12 hours ago, Myles said:

Not a great comparison.    It is more like a guy working his shift at a warehouse.   The tough part of the job is when the truck comes in and him and a few co-workers have to hand unload the truck.   The tough part.   Then he walks out and leaves the others to do it alone.   

It's a "d ick" move.     Not the end of the world and you are right, he'll be forgotten vary soon. 

When anybody quits mid shift they always do it before the hard task. Dude said he had enough and left.  I’ve had employees do this exact thing.  Doesn’t phase me a bit an I honestly forget about them being gone before the end of the day. I run multiple construction crews so it happens 3-4 times a year and why I’m laid back.  Maybe I should care more but I don’t lol. 

On 9/17/2018 at 3:42 PM, jvan1973 said:

His contract isn't guaranteed.   He is going to lose about half the contract

Potentially more.

2 hours ago, King Colt said:

I just saw this morning VD could lose 4.3 million collecting $700,000 instead of potentially $5,000,000. He must have suffered some very strong emotional issues to do what he did. I would keep an eye on him in his new life. There should be reasons to worry. 

Yes, he very well might.  Bills are expected to (fill out paperwork) go after 16/17ths of his $1.5 million signing bonus.  In addition, He forfeits each game day check here on out (the remainder of his 2.25 million base salary). On top of all that, he had $250 thousand 53 man roster bonus, and a $750 thousand 46 man roster bonus, both of which he will lose the majority of.

No worries, though... he has made around $35 million over his career.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Does he receive Half of game check or the full game check ??

haha

:spit:

Funny, yet it does raise a reasonable uncertainty. However, players get paid weekly, (base salary, 17 checks) not by game.  Also, he participated all week in meetings, practice, and 1/2 the game.  I doubt they try to get any of that weeks pay returned.  Bonus money and future checks, can they get back? Yes.

• Like 1