Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Browns Releasing WR Josh Gordon

I think those who are hoping for Gordon to end up with the Colts are far more likely to be very disappointed.

Even though it’s not drugs or alcohol, it’s about trust.   If the Browns won’t trust Gordon, why should Ballard?

I don’t see this happening...

Also...    it appears the Browns will try to trade Gordon for whatever they can get.    Don’t see Ballard jarring with a pick(s) in this case.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think those who are hoping for Gordon to end up with the Colts are far more likely to be very disappointed.

Even though it’s not drugs or alcohol, it’s about trust.   If the Browns won’t trust Gordon, why should Ballard?

I don’t see this happening...

Also...    it appears the Browns will try to trade Gordon for whatever they can get.    Don’t see Ballard jarring with a pick(s) in this case.

Could not agree more!

I don't think Ballard would have taken a chance on Gordon regardless, but if he were to do so it would have been only if he were eligible for waivers in my opinion.

Gordon's contract is one year and only $790k for 2018.

If he were on waivers and all you had to do was claim $790k to give him a trial and a look then maybe, maybe we would have considered.

But with Gordon being a vested vet and not eligible for waivers, now we either have to trade for him and give up a pick (not likely to happen at all for such a risky player) or we have to outbid other teams on him if he is cut and can sign anywhere (where despite our enormous cap space, there is no way we would be the high bidder in my humble opinion).

Ballard has preached culture and how it is important when signing guys to big deals that they fit the locker room and can fit in despite their contracts, etc.

The idea of giving any significant money to a guy who has been suspended a lot, missed training camp to get himself right, is one strike away from being done, and now has the murky issue of being chronically late to meetings in a time where he should be proving himself would send the type of message Ballard is trying to avoid.

So again, the only way to get him would be to give him a tiny "prove it" offer. And chances are there is going to be some team out there willing to give him more if they feel they are only a piece or two away.

I would love to kick the tires on Gordon just in case he was finally right, but the truth is that even if we got him for a year and he proved his worth, i would then not want to give him any big long term deal w all his historical issues too.

So in the end i can't see the Colts going after him whatsoever.

I do hope he lands somewhere where he can showcase his talent and that he does have his life together and there has not been any relapse to cause his release.

• Like 1

On 9/15/2018 at 11:50 PM, TomDiggs said:

Could not agree more!

I don't think Ballard would have taken a chance on Gordon regardless, but if he were to do so it would have been only if he were eligible for waivers in my opinion.

Gordon's contract is one year and only $790k for 2018.

If he were on waivers and all you had to do was claim $790k to give him a trial and a look then maybe, maybe we would have considered.

But with Gordon being a vested vet and not eligible for waivers, now we either have to trade for him and give up a pick (not likely to happen at all for such a risky player) or we have to outbid other teams on him if he is cut and can sign anywhere (where despite our enormous cap space, there is no way we would be the high bidder in my humble opinion).

Ballard has preached culture and how it is important when signing guys to big deals that they fit the locker room and can fit in despite their contracts, etc.

The idea of giving any significant money to a guy who has been suspended a lot, missed training camp to get himself right, is one strike away from being done, and now has the murky issue of being chronically late to meetings in a time where he should be proving himself would send the type of message Ballard is trying to avoid.

So again, the only way to get him would be to give him a tiny "prove it" offer. And chances are there is going to be some team out there willing to give him more if they feel they are only a piece or two away.

I would love to kick the tires on Gordon just in case he was finally right, but the truth is that even if we got him for a year and he proved his worth, i would then not want to give him any big long term deal w all his historical issues too.

So in the end i can't see the Colts going after him whatsoever.

I do hope he lands somewhere where he can showcase his talent and that he does have his life together and there has not been any relapse to cause his release.

I do agree that Ballard would probably not really consider him, but why are you assuming large money with this? Many teams will not entertain him at all let alone giving up some large amount. He might get a 1 year 1mil deal from someone in hopes he can actually play every game.

Again, I do doubt Ballard even looks his way and I agree with you there.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DaColts85 said:

I do agree that Ballard would probably not really consider him, but why are you assuming large money with this? Many teams will not entertain him at all let alone giving up some large amount. He might get a 1 year 1mil deal from someone in hopes he can actually play every game.

Again, I do doubt Ballard even looks his way and I agree with you there.

My assumption of decent money is simply that folks spend when they feel there is a missing piece they want and if they have cap room to do so. And it only takes one team to do it.

I could easily see him land some incentive filled deal for much more than $1M.

But all of that is a moot point since Cleveland will likely trade him and someone will give up a pick (my guess is a conditional 4th or 3rd rounder) in order to have him for this year cheap at his 790K salary and have his RFA rights next year.

I think the real challenge for a team like ours is more-so that if he is actually good you then need to pay the man. And no matter if he was good for a year or not, I would be hesitant to invest any significant long term money in him w any guarantees based on his history.

Which means some team that is far more risk tolerant will make that move.

I am super curious to see where he ends up today (assuming he is actually moved today as rumored).

2 minutes ago, TomDiggs said:

My assumption of decent money is simply that folks spend when they feel there is a missing piece they want and if they have cap room to do so. And it only takes one team to do it.

I could easily see him land some incentive filled deal for much more than $1M.

But all of that is a moot point since Cleveland will likely trade him and someone will give up a pick (my guess is a conditional 4th or 3rd rounder) in order to have him for this year cheap at his 790K salary and have his RFA rights next year.

I think the real challenge for a team like ours is more-so that if he is actually good you then need to pay the man. And no matter if he was good for a year or not, I would be hesitant to invest any significant long term money in him w any guarantees based on his history.

Which means some team that is far more risk tolerant will make that move.

I am super curious to see where he ends up today (assuming he is actually moved today as rumored).

I mean I agree with majority of what you are saying. I do not think he gets moved today but rather gets cut (and not today either). I see this as the Browns trying to get something from nothing. You have a player who supposedly hurt himself and this is why you want to trade/cut him.  Well that right there negates a possible trade if the injury is legit. Plus a team can give him an incentive type contract if he is cut, but again I still do not see the money being any large amount. You have a guy getting dropped from a team that tried everything for the guy and now 2 games in he is going to be possibly released. Many teams are going to see this and not want him in the locker room let alone paying him. Again, something around 1mil for the next 13 games maybe.