Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Feel better about our team after TNF.

Lawrence Owen

Bengals - Ravens.  Bengals offense made the Raven defense look silly.  4 TD's in the air, 4.25 YPC average for the RB's.  Ravens got 0 sacks, 0 int's.  

And this after the Ravens embarrassed the Bills 47-3.

Our defense at least was able to get some pressures/sacks, contest passes, make tackles and turn-overs.  Not saying our defense is great, far from it, but at least we can make impact plays from time to time. 

The Ravens defense is generally know for being 'tough', but our showed up better against the Bengals than theirs did. 

Makes feel a lot better going forward knowing they have a lot of room left to grow. 

Funny how the score came up EXACTLY the same (Bengals34-Colts 23/ Bengals 34-Ravens 23)

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Chrisaaron1023 said:

Yupp, except we were pretty dominate in our game. until the 4th qt :gloomy:..

Sounds like last year haha

The coaching staff, offensive system, defensive system were all imploded and

redone over the off-season. Comparing Sunday's game to Pagano and Chud's

tenure is a bit premature.

Let's all give the staff 6 to 8 games to get their program off the ground.

1 hour ago, DaveA1102 said:

I also took hope from the result last night, but it would be remiss of me not to point out that it might just be that the Bills are absolutely terrible! :yuk:

We will know more after another tough test against a Washington team that is strong on both sides of the ball.

Think it might be a case of Nathan Peterman is absolutely terrible.  If the Bills look as bad with Allen at QB then you could be right about the Bills but Peterman has the ability to stifle the Bills offense better than any defense in the league.

16 minutes ago, dodsworth said:

The coaching staff, offensive system, defensive system were all imploded and

redone over the off-season. Comparing Sunday's game to Pagano and Chud's

tenure is a bit premature.

Let's all give the staff 6 to 8 games to get their program off the ground.

I understand! I'm giving them all the time in the world lol, but it does still sting. Bengals looked so good against the Ravens, yet we were making them look silly for awhile. Just reminding me of a few games last year as well.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Chrisaaron1023 said:

I understand! I'm giving them all the time in the world lol, but it does still sting. Bengals looked so good against the Ravens, yet we were making them look silly for awhile. Just reminding me of a few games last year as well.

It's one of those should have had it games. The defense is young and has some bright spots and I see no reason it shouldn't improve. I have a gut feeling that maybe we have found a head coach in Reich that gets Andrew and understands how to utilize his skill set. Andrew seemed more fluid and comfortable than I've seen him in a long time and the more they work together the better he will play. I guess it would be hard to play in a vertical offense having to hold the ball that long and knowing your line can hold about as much as Dollar General toilet paper. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IkeAramba said:

Think it might be a case of Nathan Peterman is absolutely terrible.  If the Bills look as bad with Allen at QB then you could be right about the Bills but Peterman has the ability to stifle the Bills offense better than any defense in the league.

Peterman was poor but I don't see Allen doing much based on the lack of weapons and how poor that line is.  I can only see him getting hit....a lot.

They should have kept McCarron to at least give them the option rather than having no choice than to throw in the rook.

Its early in the season and players are still learning how to play together.  I think the Ravens are pretty good, and I've always thought the Bengals got disrespected as sort of a mob-rule pile-on thing.  I think both teams can beat us pretty easily, and the Bengals got the better of the Ravens this time.

21 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Its early in the season and players are still learning how to play together.  I think the Ravens are pretty good, and I've always thought the Bengals got disrespected as sort of a mob-rule pile-on thing.  I think both teams can beat us pretty easily, and the Bengals got the better of the Ravens this time.

Anyone but the dang Steelers! I live in Eastern KY and because the NFL "zones" there are so many Steeler fans it's irritating. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, IkeAramba said:

Bills will look worse. Allen is a bust. Teams desperately want the next Carson Wentz. Instead of being penalized for playing for a small school with weak competition, Allen's stock was raised

3 hours ago, DaveA1102 said:

I also took hope from the result last night, but it would be remiss of me not to point out that it might just be that the Bills are absolutely terrible! :yuk:

We will know more after another tough test against a Washington team that is strong on both sides of the ball.

Bill Polian always said that you don’t how good you are until at least 5 games in. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Flash7 said:

As for the Colts, no matter how you slice it, the defense played terribly.

https://www.stampedeblue.com/2018/9/13/17852276/indianapolis-colts-by-the-numbers-week-1-defensive-stats

Statistically it looks bad. And it's even worse considering, that our offense was dominating the game (Bengals had 50 offensive plays compared to the Colts's 80+ plays). And the Colts offense gave zero short field for the Cincy offense. Allowing 27 point in 50 plays without short fields is bad.

However, this was "different bad" than last year's or 2016's bad imo. There's soo much youth and inexperience there, that it was/is inevitable that there will be lackluster performances. But this time I see the end of the tunnel.  One of the reasons is that there are a boatload of young guys, who I believe that more of them will make the leap than not. The other reason is, that it looks like Eberflus's scheme is more like a cover 3 than a tampa/cover 2. Honestly, when I heard the word "tampa2" in february, I was very-very skeptical. :) Thank god, it looks like it's not THAT tampa2 I feared of. :)

6 minutes ago, Peterk2011 said:

Statistically it looks bad. And it's even worse considering, that our offense was dominating the game (Bengals had 50 offensive plays compared to the Colts's 80+ plays). And the Colts offense gave zero short field for the Cincy offense. Allowing 27 point in 50 plays without short fields is bad.

However, this was "different bad" than last year's or 2016's bad imo. There's soo much youth and inexperience there, that it was/is inevitable that there will be lackluster performances. But this time I see the end of the tunnel.  One of the reasons is that there are a boatload of young guys, who I believe that more of them will make the leap than not. The other reason is, that it looks like Eberflus's scheme is more like a cover 3 than a tampa/cover 2. Honestly, when I heard the word "tampa2" in february, I was very-very skeptical. :) Thank god, it looks like it's not THAT tampa2 I feared of. :)

I am looking forward to a better defense and would love for the young guys to grow and develop. I think that we are on our way, but I am still cautious. For example, TJ Greene had the size, speed and talent you'd want in a defensive player, but sometimes young guys do not develop and meet their potential. This happens often. The NFL is littered with physical specimens that never meet their potential, and that's my worry. We can wait for some of these guys to develop and they may never (but I understand that we have to give them every opportunity to grow and learn).

To the statement in bold: I think if we had started Brisett, in place of Luck like last year, we wouldn't have converted 65% of our third downs. The defense would have been fully exposed and would be undoubtedly worse than last year's defense. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Monday on the Forum: "I can't believe we couldn't even beat the Bengals, they're basically a JV squad."

Friday on the Forum: "The Bengals are an amazing team, & we almost beat them."

I and a few other never said that...if you look i did post that i was pleasantly surprised and encouraged on a post i made monday.  there were a lot of people who were also encourage that posted with me.

2 hours ago, Pacergeek said:

Bills will look worse. Allen is a bust. Teams desperately want the next Carson Wentz. Instead of being penalized for playing for a small school with weak competition, Allen's stock was raised

Other than him not starting week 1, do you have any other information about Allen?  The limited time I saw him in the preseason, I thought he looked pretty good. 

Is he Injured? 

I'd think they don't want to throw him to the wolves and ruin him like Ryan Leaf.

14 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Other than him not starting week 1, do you have any other information about Allen?  The limited time I saw him in the preseason, I thought he looked pretty good. 

Is he Injured? 

I'd think they don't want to throw him to the wolves and ruin him like Ryan Leaf.

I just know that, against high school level competition, he was inaccurate. Also sucked against the few big time programs he went against. It's obvious GM's had a fantasy vision about the next Carson Wentz. 

1 minute ago, Pacergeek said:

I just know that, against high school level competition, he was inaccurate. Also sucked against the few big time programs he went against. It's obvious GM's had a fantasy vision about the next Carson Wentz. 

I don't doubt that he was drafted on potential.  I was just wondering if he truly wasn't good enough to start week 1, or if he was injured, or if they are just bringing him along slowly and not caring about wins and losses early in the season.

1 hour ago, Lawrence Owen said:

I and a few other never said that...if you look i did post that i was pleasantly surprised and encouraged on a post i made monday.  there were a lot of people who were also encourage that posted with me.

I wasn't referencing you, but a lot of people were downplaying how talented that Bengals team is, & now I see a lot of flip-flopping.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

I wasn't referencing you, but a lot of people were downplaying how talented that Bengals team is, & now I see a lot of flip-flopping.

Well, new information changes things.  Considering how many knee jerk reactionists we have here, flip-flopping is as sure as gravity.

4 hours ago, Pacergeek said:

I do not feel better. We are known as a team that cannot finish games. No moral victories in the NFL. Last week, we choked away another winnable game.

Everyone knew the Colts were going to score. The bengals defense was getting gassed and if butter fingers doesn’t fumble away the game the momentum was all Colts. We score on that drive and this game just became a game full of optimistic outlooks. One play bro. One play changed that. I’m sure Doyle will either lose some playing time and be getting some punishment in practice. 

1 hour ago, OffensivelyPC said:

Well, new information changes things.  Considering how many knee jerk reactionists we have here, flip-flopping is as sure as gravity.

What new info? The Bengals roster is identical today as it was last Sunday. I said last week that they have one of the better rosters in the AFC, & some folks in here were having no part of that.

2 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

They're division rivals, & split almost every single season. The overall record of the series is 23-22, Bengals.

I'm just saying it's something to react to.  We have a lot of people here that react to everything from grass growing to dried paint.  It's not a surprise people think season long evaluations are legitimized by any games played by any team 7 days into the NFL season.  It's comical.

3 hours ago, NannyMcafee said:

Everyone knew the Colts were going to score. The bengals defense was getting gassed and if butter fingers doesn’t fumble away the game the momentum was all Colts. We score on that drive and this game just became a game full of optimistic outlooks. One play bro. One play changed that. I’m sure Doyle will either lose some playing time and be getting some punishment in practice. 

This has been the Colts' identity for the past 4 seasons. Blowing winnable games by making crucial mistakes in the 4th quarter of close games. This is what separates good teams in the NFL, being able to win tight ball games. Bad teams, like the Colts, figure out ways to lose these games

I actually watched most of the TNF game.
The Bengals got some really nice completions in the 1st half. Nice routes, nice throws, nice catches.
 It happens that way sometimes.

This changes nothing about my assessment of our young program.
 Washington will pose a variety of new challenges that will test/surprise and confound our team.
Should be tougher and more risky throwing lots of short quick passes.
We badly need Mack's ability to get outside. Hewiitt and our interior lineman will need a great game pulling.