Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Waive TE Erik Swoope

TKnight24

2 minutes ago, jchandler7 said:

That's not true. Read my reply again. We went into last week's game with 3 DT's = Woods, Autry & Stewart. Ridgeway was inactive. This week with Autry out we would still have 3 DT's = Woods, Ridgeway & Stewart. So....my point was the coaching staff must not have much faith in Ridgeway bc they were ok going into the game last week with only 3 but this week they are making sure they have 4. Like I already stated, I understand the logic though. 

You do realize stewart was on the injury list too right? He's not guaranteed to play either

4 minutes ago, VaAllDay757 said:

You do realize stewart was on the injury list too right? He's not guaranteed to play either

FULL participation...but ok. My only point in this thread was that it seems the coaching staff may be down on Ridgeway. 100% speculation on my part. I may be wrong. You obviously disagree and that is perfectly fine your entitled to your opinion no biggie.  

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, jchandler7 said:

FULL participation...but ok. My only point in this thread was that it seems the coaching staff may be down on Ridgeway. 100% speculation on my part. I may be wrong. You obviously disagree and that is perfectly fine your entitled to your opinion no biggie.  

Ridgeway is fine you don't know the coach's gameplan it's just your speculation

7 hours ago, shastamasta said:

At the end of the day...Swoope was the TE3 on this team...so it's probably not a huge loss (unless a couple guys get hurt).

But as a big fan...this sucks for him. Dude busts his butt learning how to play TE, makes it to the NFL..and shows that he belongs. Then works his way back from injury...only to get waived one game into the season in favor of a glorified FB (I bet Hewitt and Luck are buddies)...when it will be very hard to catch on with another team.

But the NFL is a tough business...and Ballard overturning the roster is to be expected. Ridgeway can't be comfortable...though it would have made more sense to waive him since he plays on the DL.

In the meantime, are they only going to roll with 3 TEs on the 53-man?

I can flat out guarantee you that Luck and Hewitt are buddies.

I can also flat out guarantee you that their friendship had NOTHING — ZERO — to do with the decision to keep Hewitt over Swoope.

I have no idea why you felt compelled to go there...    that’s a whopper of a head scratcher....

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I can flat out guarantee you that Luck and Hewitt are buddies.

I can also flat out guarantee you that their friendship had NOTHING — ZERO — to do with the decision to keep Hewitt over Swoope.

I have no idea why you felt compelled to go there...    that’s a whopper of a head scratcher....

It was meant to be tongue-in-cheek. I didn't even make the Luck/Stanford connection until I saw what year Hewitt entered the league.

But on the surface, I do feel like Swoope is getting a raw deal here. Injuries happen I guess.

19 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

It was meant to be tongue-in-cheek. I didn't even make the Luck/Stanford connection until I saw what year Hewitt entered the league.

But on the surface, I do feel like Swoope is getting a raw deal here. Injuries happen I guess.

Thanks...    appreciate that....

And for what it’s wirth, I agree...   Swoope us getting a raw deal...    I hope he managed to work his way back to our roster...    sort of the way Matt Jones did for a number of weeks..

I like Swoope...   always have...   not happy to see him leave...    hope it’s not the last time we see him.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, DougDew said:

I honestly thought Autry was brought here to be an inside pass rusher on obvious passing downs only, and that he would start at DE.  I was surprised to see him starting DT, IIRC.

Autry was brought here as a DE/DT.    And so was Tyquan Lewis who is currently on IR.

And Ridgeway is another DT candidate,  but apparently, he's not playing well enough.

So,  who exactly should be playing the DT next to Woods/Stewart that isn't?     What is the problem here?

Seems like there has to be more to this than just needing to add a DT to the active roster. Because as someone pointed out there are carrying 5 safeties at the moment. Who knows what happens in the locker room, and on the practice field but there just has to be more to this than meets the eye...

1 hour ago, Crunked said:

Seems like there has to be more to this than just needing to add a DT to the active roster. Because as someone pointed out there are carrying 5 safeties at the moment. Who knows what happens in the locker room, and on the practice field but there just has to be more to this than meets the eye...

Maybe, (as someone pointed out) it’s all about getting above average blocking from the TE position.

I’ve always like Swoope; he looked like we could create mismatches with him. But if this move upgrades the blocking (which helps pass pro and the running game), I feel better about it.

23 minutes ago, coltsfeva said:

Maybe, (as someone pointed out) it’s all about getting above average blocking from the TE position.

I’ve always like Swoope; he looked like we could create mismatches with him. But if this move upgrades the blocking (which helps pass pro and the running game), I feel better about it.

I think that may have been the problem. He always looked like a guy who could create mismatches but it never really worked out for him. I've always thought he seemed like a good guy who worked his butt off to learn the game, and he did show a lot of raw potential. But he's been here since 2015 and produced 310 yards with one TD. Sadly, I think the Swoope experiment may be over. 

7 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Autry was brought here as a DE/DT.    And so was Tyquan Lewis who is currently on IR.

And Ridgeway is another DT candidate,  but apparently, he's not playing well enough.

So,  who exactly should be playing the DT next to Woods/Stewart that isn't?     What is the problem here?

That's what I said.  So, its not unusual to be surprised that he played one position only and not the other too.

Seriously, do you just try to form any criticism towards members' comments you don't like just to keep your post count up?

17 hours ago, shastamasta said:

I would think he isn't eligible at this point. He was on the PS for parts of 2014-16...and three years is the limit.

If he actually has 3 accrued seasons on the P.S., then you are correct, he is not eligible.

16 hours ago, shastamasta said:

I am not 100% sure what "season" means though. Hopefully, he has some eligibility so they can stash him for the inevitable injuries.

In the 53 man regular season, it is 6 or more games on Full Pay status on the active roster or IR.

Likewise, a player on the Practice squad must be on it for 6 of the teams regular season games in a year to accrue a Practice Squad  season, of which the Maximum allowed is 3, as pointed out above.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

That's what I said.  So, its not unusual to be surprised that he played one position only and not the other too.

Seriously, do you just try to form any criticism towards members' comments you don't like just to keep your post count up?

You completely ignore the fact that I answered your question as to why Autry is playing DT exclusively.    You seemed confused and I pointed out why and how the Colts are addressing it.

Perhaps you feel embarrassed that you couldn’t figure out what is obvious with just a little thought so you try to turn this into my problem. Again, Autry is playing so much because of injuries and performance from other players.   

As for my “post count.”    It’s been going DOWN most every year I’ve been here.   I averaged about 12 posts a day my first two years...    that dropped to about 11 posts a day in years 3 and 4...    then it dropped to 10 posts a day in years 5 and 6.    

This year...   I’ll likely be UNDER 10 posts a day.    I prefer a less is more approach.

All your questions answered....   again.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hoose said:

Has anyone determined if Swoope is still PS eligible? If so, I would expect him to show up there soon, maybe at the expense of Cox. 

No, if either of the below:

If he has been on full pay (or IR) on the 53 man roster for at least 6 games in each of 3 years (or more), NO. Not eligible.

If he has been on the practice squad for 6 or more games in each of 3 seasons, then again, he is Not Eligible.

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

You completely ignore the fact that I answered your question as to why Autry is playing DT exclusively.    You seemed confused and I pointed out why and how the Colts are addressing it.

Perhaps you feel embarrassed that you couldn’t figure out what is obvious with just a little thought so you try to turn this into my problem. Again, Autry is playing so much because of injuries and performance from other players.   

As for my “post count.”    It’s been going DOWN most every year I’ve been here.   I averaged about 12 posts a day my first two years...    that dropped to about 11 posts a day in years 3 and 4...    then it dropped to 10 posts a day in years 5 and 6.    

This year...   I’ll likely be UNDER 10 posts a day.    I prefer a less is more approach.

Hmmm.  I said I was surprised to see Autry start at DT.  That doesn't meant that I think I know better.  Is English your second language?

Okay.  So Autry played DT because he plays it better than Ridgeway?

And then there's Hunt.

So the feeling is that Hunt at DE and Autry at DT would be better than Autry at DE and Ridgeway at DT.  Then put Autry at DT on passing downs and replace Hunt with Simon?  Oops, wait a minute......

Yes, I'm surprised at that.  I'm obviously wrong, but I'm surprised the latter combination wouldn't have been better, and that Ridgeway at DT....and not Autry at DT....was the wink link holding it back. 

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

Hmmm?  How do you know that Autry was playing better at DT than Ridgeway and that Ballard simply didn't mess with the lineup to favor his signing over Grigson's?

I thought that conspiratorial thinking was common among people not named DougDew.  It was pretty common with the local media *'s a few years ago?

2 hours ago, DougDew said:

Hmmm.  I said I was surprised to see Autry start at DT.  That doesn't meant that I think I know better.  Is English your second language?

Okay.  So Autry played DT because he plays it better than Ridgeway?

And then there's Hunt.

So the feeling is that Hunt at DE and Autry at DT would be better than Autry at DE and Ridgeway at DT.  Then put Autry at DT on passing downs and replace Hunt with Simon?  Oops, wait a minute......

Yes, I'm surprised at that.  I'm obviously wrong, but I'm surprised the latter combination wouldn't have been better, and that Ridgeway at DT....and not Autry at DT....was the wink link holding it back. 

Again...   English appears to be YOUR second language.    You wouldn’t be surprised if you had been following the preseason where DT is what Autry played.   Or if you had noticed that Lewis was out on the IR.    Or if you had noticed that Ridgeway has been running third string.    But no,  you did none of those things and yet you try to make this my problem.   How very Doug Dew of you.

As for your lineup gymnastics...    this is the part of you that thinks you’re smarter than the GM and the coaches.

I can’t help that...    no one can.

2 hours ago, DougDew said:

Hmmm?  How do you know that Autry was playing better at DT than Ridgeway and that Ballard simply didn't mess with the lineup to favor his signing over Grigson's?

I thought that conspiratorial thinking was common among people not named DougDew.  It was pretty common with the local media *'s a few years ago?

Ahhhhh....   Conspiracy Theory Doug rises again!    Thar she blows! 

Always appreciate your....   unique view of things....   WRONG!   But unique.

8 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Again...   English appears to be YOUR second language.    You wouldn’t be surprised if you had been following the preseason where DT is what Autry played.   Or if you had noticed that Lewis was out on the IR.    Or if you had noticed that Ridgeway has been running third string.    But no,  you did none of those things and yet you try to make this my problem.   How very Doug Dew of you.

As for your lineup gymnastics...    this is the part of you that thinks you’re smarter than the GM and the coaches.

I can’t help that...    no one can.

Well, golly NCF, everybody did that with the previous regime.  I'm just taking their lead to question every move as being conspiratorial. 

What's difference now?

6 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Ahhhhh....   Conspiracy Theory Doug rises again!    Thar she blows! 

Always appreciate your....   unique view of things....   WRONG!   But unique.

LOL.. Just taking the forum's lead over tha past few years.

Wasn't every personnel/coaching lineup move a dopey one brought on by ego.  

What's the difference now?

BTW: wasn't the popular reason for QWilson not playing last year because the HC was a dope who couldn't judge talent?  Not because the player stunk.

11 hours ago, lollygagger8 said:

200.gif

Nooooooooooooooooooooo! 

Your memes always crack me up man. :D  I actually wanted Swoope to make it on our roster, but I get why Reich did what he did: Edge containment on running plays. Makes sense. Hate to lose Erik though. I know; I know. Only so many roster spots.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, HarryTheCat said:

But he's been here since 2015 and produced 310 yards with one TD. Sadly, I think the Swoope experiment may be over.

I only want concrete data/facts when I don't like a guy & want an excuse to downgrade him to the practice squad or release him. Not when I will search for any reason to keep a TE around. Just letting you know how I roll @HarryTheCat. If I like a guy, I tend to ignore stats.

Your post is solid. I can't really refute it. I just choose to put blinders on when reality contradicts when I believe in a guy that's all. I'll learn to accept it eventually.

1 hour ago, krunk said:

If Ebron goes down Swoope is an ideal guy to pass the torch to.

I am really surprised how well Ebron is playing for us. Pleasantly surprised I might add. Makes me wonder why he didn't click in Detroit. New city/change of scenery? Whatever it is; keep it up please.

Yeah, worst case scenario contingency plans are always smart moves to keep in your GM back pocket I guess.

Ebron is well on his way to erasing this Clapton parody spoof....

Good for him. He takes it in stride I really respect that. The ability to turn the page & start over.

• Like 2