Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Waive TE Erik Swoope

TKnight24

5 minutes ago, TKnight24 said:

Denico is injured. Ridgeway is fine 

Yeah, I know Ridgeway is healthy and Autry is banged up. However, last week we went into the game with only 3 DT's because Ridgeway being inactive. So if Autry missed this Sundays game and we didn't elevate Ward we would still be going into the game with same number of D-linemen as last week. Which tells me that they don't fully trust Ridgeway. I understand the reason behind the move,  just don't think it looks good for Ridgeway. I hope he balls out against Washington though. 

Not a big fan of this cut for the simple fact that if Doyle or Ebron gets hurt, you would have nothing as far as a no2 TE behind them now. TE was probably our best overall position behind QB, and we are taking a part of it and releasing it. Lets hope Doyle and Ebron stay healthy all year.

• Like 2

At the end of the day...Swoope was the TE3 on this team...so it's probably not a huge loss (unless a couple guys get hurt).

But as a big fan...this sucks for him. Dude busts his butt learning how to play TE, makes it to the NFL..and shows that he belongs. Then works his way back from injury...only to get waived one game into the season in favor of a glorified FB (I bet Hewitt and Luck are buddies)...when it will be very hard to catch on with another team.

But the NFL is a tough business...and Ballard overturning the roster is to be expected. Ridgeway can't be comfortable...though it would have made more sense to waive him since he plays on the DL.

In the meantime, are they only going to roll with 3 TEs on the 53-man?

6 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Not a big fan of this cut for the simple fact that if Doyle or Ebron gets hurt, you would have nothing as far as a no2 TE behind them now. TE was probably our best overall position behind QB, and we are taking a part of it and releasing it. Lets hope Doyle and Ebron stay healthy all year.

Hewitt is now TE3....

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I'll have to do a little research on him. I honestly know nothing about him at this time.

He's the guy that we got from the Bengals... my friends that are Cincy fans didn't know a whole lot about him either. To be fair, it doesn't look like there's much about him to "know."

http://www.nfl.com/player/ryanhewitt/2550206/profile

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I'll have to do a little research on him. I honestly know nothing about him at this time.

He's an H-back...who has mostly been used as a FB for blocking. Was in CIN for the past four seasons...and played with Luck at Stanford for a couple seasons. Considering that CIN has been nearly as bad as IND at running the football over the past few years...it's hard to know if Hewitt is even good at his job. But I guess we will find out.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, krunk said:

I think we have plans on running the football this week.  That's why we are going with the H Back Hewitt.  Manusky defenses are usually bad against the run.

Also looks like AC might not be out there either. With the OL shuffling and not fully healthy, they might want the extra blocker.

I can see someone kicking the tires on Swoope, he has likable attributes.

Last week Eberflus put the "Nascar" package in, and it was a regrettable move. The young speed rushers don't have their act together, so it was a sloppy, undisciplined, cluster that played a role in the  momentum shift.

Working Ridgeway & Ward on the inside, and limiting the urge to go too small in there, is a more sound approach. IMHO of course!

• Like 2

Bittersweet indeed.  I like Swoope and feel it's likely he will be picked up by another team.  On the other hand, very excited to see Jihad Ward in a Colts uni.  For those who don't know, Ward was a 2nd round pick (44th overall) by the Raiders in 2016.  He has a TON of talent, but the combination of raw talent as a rookie and the fact that the Raiders moved him around the field into too many different positions kind of "ruined" him.  With 2 years under his belt, I'm hoping the Colts will plug him in at DT and allow him to really develop.  

4 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

I will hope that Autry plays very little from now on.
We have to add edge blocking so gooooo Hewitt.

I honestly thought Autry was brought here to be an inside pass rusher on obvious passing downs only, and that he would start at DE.  I was surprised to see him starting DT, IIRC.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, jchandler7 said:

Yeah, I know Ridgeway is healthy and Autry is banged up. However, last week we went into the game with only 3 DT's because Ridgeway being inactive. So if Autry missed this Sundays game and we didn't elevate Ward we would still be going into the game with same number of D-linemen as last week. Which tells me that they don't fully trust Ridgeway. I understand the reason behind the move,  just don't think it looks good for Ridgeway. I hope he balls out against Washington though. 

They did it because autry is hurt and probably won't play it's simple doesn't make sense just have 2 DT'S active on gameday

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VaAllDay757 said:

They did it because autry is hurt and probably won't play it's simple doesn't make sense just have 2 DT'S active on gameday

That's not true. Read my reply again. We went into last week's game with 3 DT's = Woods, Autry & Stewart. Ridgeway was inactive. This week with Autry out we would still have 3 DT's = Woods, Ridgeway & Stewart. So....my point was the coaching staff must not have much faith in Ridgeway bc they were ok going into the game last week with only 3 but this week they are making sure they have 4. Like I already stated, I understand the logic though.