Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts 2018 stat rankings after week 1

Lawrence Owen

I know it is only week 1, But after last year it is encouraging to see Indy's stats on both sides of the ball to be middle to upper tier in the NFL.  We'll get more of a feel as the weeks progress. I'd say by the time we play NE, we'll know truly what we have.  But for now, let's take a look at some key statistics.

Total Offense: 380.0    9th

Passing:           305        6th

Rushing:          75         26th    YPC 28th

3rd downs       11/17   65%  1st 

Total Defense:  330     14th

Passing:             229     17th

Rushing:            101     12th      YPC  5.1  29th

Sacks:                  2         Tied-14th

Turnover ratio: 2-2     Tied 15th       

These stats are promising.  Especially for such a young team.  The only real worry is rushing defense and offense.  I think time/experience will help our young defense on that. and the return of A.C./Good, and Mack, along with a little experience there also for our young RB's will also help.

• Like 2

Good stuff to start out on. The defense is better than I thought (Mixon's YPC against us not withstanding). Hopefully when Mack comes back, the rushing stat will rise on the rush offense. There is a good reason for that for now. We just need to improve our D-Line for our rushing defense, there's no way to get around that. Luckily, the 2019 draft will provide just that in the first 2 rounds.

35 minutes ago, lollygagger8 said:

Call me a homer, but I've said it before, and I'll say it again: 

Even if this defense is the middle of the road (they don't have to be special) the Colts have a great shot to make the playoffs and actually advance instead of being one and done. 

Seems has been that way forever, dont need a top ranked defense.. just dont give away "career days" to opposing offenses and we good!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, SOMDColtsfan said:

Seems has been that way forever, dont need a top ranked defense.. just dont give away "career days" to opposing offenses and we good!

Nothing like those games where a guy's run for 300 CAREER yards and drops 175 on us and is never heard from again after that.. Lol

• Like 1

3 hours ago, IinD said:

Nothing like those games where a guy's run for 300 CAREER yards and drops 175 on us and is never heard from again after that.. Lol

3 hours ago, SOMDColtsfan said:

Jonas Gray flashbacks

44 minutes ago, NorthernBlue said:

Jonas Gray flashbacks

Lol... So true.

I remember Quentin (don't remember his last name, Broncos RB) killing us once. Ron Dayne did his Walter Payton impression on us once also. 

You remember the guys name who killed us in that Miami playoff game in the early 00's where Vandershank missed one BAD...??

We've definitely had our bad moments against RB's..

The rankings are a bit misleading. I think that the Colts offense is very good, and the Colts defense is very bad.

The argument for the Colts defense not being very bad is that we held Dalton to below 250 yards passing, and held Mixon to below 100 yards passing.

Here is the flip side:

1. The Colts had 82 offensive plays to Cincy's 55. With only 55 offensive plays, the Bengals still had the lead in the 4th quarter, going on to win.

2. Dalton had a 75% completion percentage. The Colts defense did not affect him much. Sure, Hunt got his sacks, but overall, Dalton had a 75% completion percentage and 2 TDs.

3. Dalton didn't pass for over 250 yards, but he had 28 attempts, compared to Luck's 53. He simply did not have enough attempts to break 300 yards passing.

4. Mixon rushed for 95 yards on 5.6 ypc, and 1 TD. Mixon didn't break 100 yards rushing because he didn't have enough carries.

5. The Colts offense is ranked #1 in third down conversion, at 64.71%

Source: https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/third-down-conversion-pct

This greatly helped the Colts defense by keeping the Bengals offense off of the field.

Overall, the defense did not play well. They created turnovers, which was great. But for the most part, the Bengals dominated the Colts defense in both passing and rushing. It's logical to think that the defense will not continue to benefit from such a lopsided time of possession by the Colts offense.

11 hours ago, Lawrence Owen said:

I know it is only week 1, But after last year it is encouraging to see Indy's stats on both sides of the ball to be middle to upper tier in the NFL.  We'll get more of a feel as the weeks progress. I'd say by the time we play NE, we'll know truly what we have.  But for now, let's take a look at some key statistics.

Total Offense: 380.0    9th

Passing:           305        6th

Rushing:          75         26th    YPC 28th

3rd downs       11/17   65%  1st 

Total Defense:  330     14th

Passing:             229     17th

Rushing:            101     12th      YPC  5.1  29th

Sacks:                  2         Tied-14th

Turnover ratio: 2-2     Tied 15th       

These stats are promising.  Especially for such a young team.  The only real worry is rushing defense and offense.  I think time/experience will help our young defense on that. and the return of A.C./Good, and Mack, along with a little experience there also for our young RB's will also help.

Our defense just needs to be in the middle of the pack with our offense in the top 10. we did that! a few boneheaded plays gave the game to the Bengals

3 hours ago, Flash7 said:

The rankings are a bit misleading. I think that the Colts offense is very good, and the Colts defense is very bad.

The argument for the Colts defense not being very bad is that we held Dalton to below 250 yards passing, and held Mixon to below 100 yards passing.

Here is the flip side:

1. The Colts had 82 offensive plays to Cincy's 55. With only 55 offensive plays, the Bengals still had the lead in the 4th quarter, going on to win.

2. Dalton had a 75% completion percentage. The Colts defense did not affect him much. Sure, Hunt got his sacks, but overall, Dalton had a 75% completion percentage and 2 TDs.

3. Dalton didn't pass for over 250 yards, but he had 28 attempts, compared to Luck's 53. He simply did not have enough attempts to break 300 yards passing.

4. Mixon rushed for 95 yards on 5.6 ypc, and 1 TD. Mixon didn't break 100 yards rushing because he didn't have enough carries.

5. The Colts offense is ranked #1 in third down conversion, at 64.71%

Source: https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/third-down-conversion-pct

This greatly helped the Colts defense by keeping the Bengals offense off of the field.

Overall, the defense did not play well. They created turnovers, which was great. But for the most part, the Bengals dominated the Colts defense in both passing and rushing. It's logical to think that the defense will not continue to benefit from such a lopsided time of possession by the Colts offense.

When you know you have a unexperienced and young defense you play KEEP AWAY. Yes we do need a better run game but it will come around especially when AC is back. I think QN will be having guys run up his behind.

11 hours ago, Flash7 said:

The Colts had 82 offensive plays to Cincy's 55. With only 55 offensive plays, the Bengals still had the lead in the 4th quarter, going on to win

That's the scariest stat of the lot. We have 50% more plays them the opposition and still manage to lose by 2 scores. Eek!