Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Hurricane could impact Redskins game

1959Colts

It seems Washington DC may get heavy wind and rain this Sunday.

Could the NFL possibly move, postpone or cancel the game?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/weather/2018/09/10/what-will-hurricane-florence-mean-washington-dc-area/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.f8ce6307f302

Scenario 1:  Florence tracks into southwest and west-central Virginia. (40 percent chance)

In this scenario, the storm would make landfall between northern South Carolina and the North Carolina Outer Banks and move northwest through central North Carolina into southwest or south-central Virginia, where it would slow or stall.

In the Washington region, there would be a sharp gradient between more-moderate rains to our north and northwest and extremely heavy rainfall to our southwest and south that could continue for days — even into early next week.

European-model rainfall forecast Saturday through Tuesday.

Serious, possibly disastrous flooding would occur in central Virginia and could spill into the central and northern Shenandoah Valley and north-central Virginia piedmont.

The immediate Washington region would receive several inches of rain, certainly enough to cause flooding but perhaps short of widespread, severe flooding.

Wind gusts would probably reach tropical-storm force, causing downed trees and scattered power outages.

As the storm moved north, southerly winds would push enough water up the Chesapeake Bay and Potomac River to cause minor tidal flooding.

The European weather model supports this scenario.

Scenario 2: Florence slowly tracks northward just west of Interstate 95 (25 percent chance)

In this scenario, the storm would make landfall between northern South Carolina and the North Carolina Outer Banks, and progress north through eastern North Carolina and east-central Virginia along the Interstate 95 corridor. It would eventually pass through Northern Virginia west of I-95.

This is a worst-case scenario for the region. It would push a large storm surge up the Potomac and Chesapeake Bay, causing severe coastal flooding, perhaps not unlike Hurricane Isabel in 2003 or the 1933 Chesapeake Potomac hurricane...

Scenario 3: Florence tracks well to our south, remaining in North Carolina (20 percent chance)

In this scenario, the Washington region generally dodges the bullet as the heaviest rain and strong winds remain well south of the region. Some rain and gusty winds could still skirt the area, especially on the south side, and cause pockets of flooding and a few downed trees, similar to the rain and wind this past weekend.

Scenario 4: Other (15 percent)

As or just after Florence makes landfall, steering currents will become weak, which turns its future motion into a bit of a wild card.

While we have outlined above what we think are the most likely scenarios, there's still the possibility it just meanders near the coastline or edges north or south of current expectations.

https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at1+shtml/092646.shtml?rainqpf#contents

image.thumb.png.8608145c2b2943f29983f5cd4ea19ed5.png

11 minutes ago, The Fish said:

I'd prefer they not play in a Hurricane, for a host of reasons. 

1. Our running game is subpar

2. Their run d is good

3. Our running d is subpar

4. Their running O is decent, so we'll get ran over...

Playing in the rain would lead to a Redskins win almost certainly...

Let's hope it gets moved to another location to avoid this loss!

• Like 3

Sounds like it will possibly go on for days, so moving it to Monday may not help.

We have a different bye week, so it couldn't be moved to a different week.  

It seems they usually like to move these games to a neutral site.  Where that would be, who knows.  They could play it here, I suppose.  Probably have to make a decision soon.  

Ravens play in Cincinnati Thursday, Carolina plays in Atlanta, so it appears this is the only game they would have to worry about.  

The Bengals play Thursday, so Cincinnati might be a possible neutral site inbetween, with not a lot of travel time.

32 minutes ago, DraftMaster said:

2. Their run d is good

I would agree with this.  Playing incliment weather especially heavy winds and rain would strongly benefit the Redskins.  

• Like 1

Games That Could Be Affected:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/2018/09/10/hurricane-florence-impact-nfl-mlb-college-football-schedules/1258800002/

NFL

Sunday, Sept. 16

Carolina at Atlanta, 1 p.m. 
Philadelphia at Tampa Bay, 1 p.m.
Indianapolis at Washington, 1 p.m.
New England at Jacksonville, 4:25 p.m.

I wonder what will happen to these 4 games. I hope the game is moved just for kicks:thinking:

1 hour ago, DraftMaster said:

2. Their run d is good

I hope they move it to Miami.

I'm like less than a hour away. haha

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DraftMaster said:

2. Their run d is good

Injures too. 

• Like 1

As of now, forecast is partly cloudy, 10-15 mph winds with a 20% chance of rain.

Because the hurricane’s path and movement is up in the air, things could change.

We’ve got tickets and I’m hoping the game will be played and rain/wind will not be an issue but if it is played, we’re going.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 1959Colts said:

Colts bye week is Week 9.

Falcons at Redskins Week 9

So that's off the table...So the only 3 options I can think of is:

1.Play anyway

2.Relocate Game (and possibly postpone)

3.Postpone and play in D.C. on monday or something.

From most to least likely (I think...)

Picked this game for my annual father/son road trip.  Bought some great tix (15 rows behind the Colts bench) from Stubhub.  Flying into Baltimore on Saturday then driving to downtown DC to stay.  I'm beyond bummed about this news however I did just get an email communication from the hotel with the updated forecast which is mostly cloudy with a high of 78 and 20% chance of rain.  Obviously things can change but this made me feel a little better.

• Like 2

unfortunately both teams bye weeks fall 5 weeks apart from each other. Because if they happened around the same time THEN they could have just used their bye week to play each other. 

They could always move the game to Indy, but it would suck for the Redskin fans who already bought tickets for the game this week and it takes away a home game for the redskins. Maybe move it to a neutral site like Cleveland or Cincinnati. 

21 minutes ago, DraftMaster said:

Looking more like a rain game we're gonna play on Sunday.

http://www.fox5dc.com/news/heres-what-the-dc-region-can-expect-from-hurricane-florence

Is it too early 2 say must win?

given the next 4 games are against @Philly, Houston, @New England, and @the Jets.....No it is not to early to say it is a must win game.  How the Colts got delt a schedule where 4 of their first 6 games are on the road is beyond me lol. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Deadpool said:

given the next 4 games are against @Philly, Houston, @New England, and @the Jets.....No it is not to early to say it is a must win game.  How the Colts got delt a schedule where 4 of their first 6 games are on the road is beyond me lol. 

But then look down the stretch. We have a lot of winnable home games later on. But yes, we gotta beat Washington because Philly and NE are almost guaranteed L's.

16 minutes ago, DraftMaster said:

But then look down the stretch. We have a lot of winnable home games later on. But yes, we gotta beat Washington because Philly and NE are almost guaranteed L's.

With Luck any team is beatable most likely will lose to NE but id like to see us slam it down their throat and i see us at 4-2  after our first 6 games with wins vs houston, washington,jets,patriots

1 hour ago, Deadpool said:

I have no problem with the bulk of our home games being played in the cold winter months, & getting those road games out of the way early. The consensus seems to be that this young team is going to need time to gel over the course of the season, so having them take their lumps on the road during the early part of the year seems like it could be beneficial.

1 hour ago, DraftMaster said:

I respectfully disagree with Philly. I think Reich’s familiarity with them gives us a decent chance in that game.