Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Quenton Nelson owns Geno Atkins


Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, AZColt11 said:

I'm excited.  I know I know, you don't draft a guard that high.  Well.......what if you do and then you draft the tackle high the following year?  Talk about building a line!  

 

Easiest way to run the football better. We are getting there... Let these guys develop, and people are going to wake up and realize the Colts aren't messin around anymore... 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, #12. said:

I didn't think he owned him either.  

 

On this play, you don't think he owned him? What else could he have done? 

 

I didn't mean in general, although he handled him very well, especially for a rookie. Atkins makes top tiered veteran guards look bad often. He hardly did that against Q. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

 

On this play, you don't think he owned him? What else could he have done? 

 

I didn't mean in general, although he handled him very well, especially for a rookie. Atkins makes top tiered veteran guards look bad often. He hardly did that against Q. 

Killed him.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, MPStack said:

I’m pretty sure that Nelson is going to be really good, but G. Atkins had a pretty good game overall. I’d also say Atkins won the match up in this game.  

Atkins didn't really do anything all game like your crazy nelson won the matchup tbh

Link to post
Share on other sites

It's a very impressive show of strength against a top tier player.

 

Overall I hope this isn't a theme for our season though. Celebrating one very good highlight which made a questionable impact on the result of the play while Luck has to throw 50 times and the team overall is picking up losses rather than wins. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, ClaytonColt said:

It's a very impressive show of strength against a top tier player.

 

Overall I hope this isn't a theme for our season though. Celebrating one very good highlight which made a questionable impact on the result of the play while Luck has to throw 50 times and the team overall is picking up losses rather than wins. 

 

I can go back and break down an entire series or two for you, as he had several... 

 

This one stood out for sure, but it was one play of many that Quenton Nelson was impressive Sunday.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, DougDew said:

And yet what was the team's average yard per carry?

I have no idea. I heard the game while driving across Missouri. Seemed like a lot of runs were 7yards, 4 yards, 6 yards, thru the first 3 quarters.  Those seemed rare these past 4-5 years. I’m excited about the new offense!

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, DougDew said:

And yet what was the team's average yard per carry?

 

3.4 with two second string tackles and 2 rookie runningbacks... against a top tiered defensive front. I didn't say the whole line played great, did I? But if you couldn't see holes that haven't been there the past several years, you need to visit your optometrist. Nice try to be a * though. 

  • Like 6
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

 

3.4 with two second string tackles and 2 rookie runningbacks... against a top tiered defensive front. I didn't say the whole line played great, did I? But if you couldn't see holes that haven't been there the past several years, you need to visit your optometrist. Nice try to be a * though. 

We also have a first round C, and reports are that Slauson played well.  

 

So what you're saying is, when we spend a high pick on a T (like we should have), only then will the running game improve?  Go figure.

  • Like 1
  • Confused 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, jimmy g said:

I have no idea. I heard the game while driving across Missouri. Seemed like a lot of runs were 7yards, 4 yards, 6 yards, thru the first 3 quarters.  Those seemed rare these past 4-5 years. I’m excited about the new offense!

I read where the running game stunk again.  Just more confirmation that Tackles are the more IMPORTANT positions in an oline.

  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, DougDew said:

We also have a first round C, and reports are that Slauson played well.  

 

So what you're saying is, when we spend a high pick on a T (like we should have), only then will the running game improve?  Go figure.

 

No. What I said was we were playing with backup tackles. Reading comprehension is hard, I know. 

 

37 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I read where the running game stunk again.  Just more confirmation that Tackles are the more IMPORTANT positions in an oline.

 

You read?? So you didn't watch the game?? I was there in prime seating, and I just reviewed film for 2 hours and the running game was night and day compared to what we have had in the past... with rookie runningbacks. Everyone in the building could see it. The two biggest mistakes we made was throwing bad screen passes when we should have ran the dang ball. 

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

 

 

@DougDew apparently didn't see anything, he just read reports... 

 

Yes exactly, I like to rely on my own eyeballs. I learned not to trust not true years ago. 

 

Just sucked we coughed up the game but this this team is going to be good. Need to clean up the mistakes. It's going to be awesome to watch these young guys develope.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Nelson played his first real game against one of the best D-linemen in the game today. Sure he had a handful of misses, but the dude is a beast, and played his * off.

 

I agree, when he gets a year under his belt, game over for Defenses. 

 

Ballard has said that was the easiest pick he's ever been a part of for a reason. 

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

 

I can go back and break down an entire series or two for you, as he had several... 

 

This one stood out for sure, but it was one play of many that Quenton Nelson was impressive Sunday.

You could do if you liked, it would clearly be a more thorough overview. 

 

Like I said though while QN chucking around a lineman is visually impressive I'm not going to get giddy about it while our longest run is 12 yards, we total 75 on the ground, Luck is throwing 50+ times and - most importantly - we're picking up losses.

 

When Nelson's brawling is helping us pick up results I'll be impressed by it. While it's just for show I can't help feel like it doesn't actually matter that much.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, lollygagger8 said:

Nelson played his first real game against one of the best D-linemen in the game today. Sure he had a handful of misses, but the dude is a beast, and played his * off.

 

I agree, when he gets a year under his belt, game over for Defenses. 

 

Ballard has said that was the easiest pick he's ever been a part of for a reason. 

He is proving why he was the right pick.   Actually went later than many thought he should go.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Unless he's going up against Aaron Donald, this will probably be his toughest matchup this season. And he got it in his first real pro game too, with a backup LT next to him. Given the circumstances he did about as well as you could expect. Sure he lost a snap here and there (it happens to even the best of them, especially when there were over 80 offensive plays), but he also destroyed Adkins on a few plays too. The scary part for the rest of the league is that he's only going to get better.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DougDew said:

And yet what was the team's average yard per carry?

 

Come on man, you know that one man does not make the OL. It is great that Nelson might do his part but the OL is as good as the sum of all parts and the continuity. As good as Nelson is, just like any rookie OL, being a year on an NFL regimen will only make him stronger and more savvy as time goes on. His floor being high is what excites fans, to extrapolate the ceiling.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, LockeDown said:

I like the Q nickname.

 

 O linemen are supposed to take a few years to develop but this guy obviously holds himself to a different standard. Colts have a unique opportunity to build an historically good Oline should they choose to do so. 

I love the pick but I will say, as a guard picked this high, he had better hold himself to a higher standard. I was for this pick btw and I’ll be for a RT 1st round pickup as well in 2019 or a high level FA pick up at RT if it’s a younger guy going into his second contract and they fit the Colts scheme. Solidify that online first. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, ClaytonColt said:

You could do if you liked, it would clearly be a more thorough overview. 

 

Like I said though while QN chucking around a lineman is visually impressive I'm not going to get giddy about it while our longest run is 12 yards, we total 75 on the ground, Luck is throwing 50+ times and - most importantly - we're picking up losses.

  

When Nelson's brawling is helping us pick up results I'll be impressed by it. While it's just for show I can't help feel like it doesn't actually matter that much.


Clearly... 

 

Luck threw 50 times because Frank didn't value running the football when he could use quick hitters (that were very successful.) 


No offense to you, but Nelson didn't lose this game. TY dropping a deep ball in the 3rd quarter did. Viniateri missing a key fieldgoal did. Jack Doyle fumbling the ball inside the 10 did. Andrew throwing an interception in the red zone did. Frank calling a run play on 3rd and goal from the 2 in the first half and settling for a fieldgoal did. Nelson's brawling did in fact help pick up results. In a season opener when teams like the Dallas Cowboys gave up 6 sacks, I think our offensive line performed mighty well, given who they were facing.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DougDew said:

We also have a first round C, and reports are that Slauson played well.  

 

So what you're saying is, when we spend a high pick on a T (like we should have), only then will the running game improve?  Go figure.

When Constanzo comes back healthy, he was a very good run blocker and that side should really open up for the run or have others overload that side which opens big cut back lanes on ththe other side. Have some optimism dude. Jesus!! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:


Clearly... 

 

Luck threw 50 times because Frank didn't value running the football when he could use quick hitters (that were very successful.) 


No offense to you, but Nelson didn't lose this game. TY dropping a deep ball in the 3rd quarter did. Viniateri missing a key fieldgoal did. Jack Doyle fumbling the ball inside the 10 did. Andrew throwing an interception in the red zone did. Frank calling a run play on 3rd and goal from the 2 in the first half and settling for a fieldgoal did. Nelson's brawling did in fact help pick up results. In a season opener when teams like the Dallas Cowboys gave up 6 sacks, I think our offensive line performed mighty well, given who they were facing.

No offense to you but I never said Nelson lost the game. I'm just saying that one element of an overall poor running game within a lopsided offensive strategy which resulted in a loss doesn't float my boat.  It's insignificant to me.

Link to post
Share on other sites

All that "impact player in 1st round", "OG is not impact player" thing is overrated. Impact CB? Opposing QBs will throw at other CB. Impact ILB? Welcome RPO. Impact rusher? Hello run game (counters, traps, reverses). Impact WR? Donald, Atkins, Campbell will broke block faster than that WR get open.

Reich wants his QB to pass a lot of short passes, passes for middle part of the field. So having good/great interior OL is critical.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, ClaytonColt said:

No offense to you but I never said Nelson lost the game. I'm just saying that one element of an overall poor running game within a lopsided offensive strategy which resulted in a loss doesn't float my boat.  It's insignificant to me.


Our #6 pick playing well against an elite defensive tackle in his first start is insignificant... 

I'm not intending on attacking your opinion, but that is kind of ridiculous don't you think? What is significant to you? What floats your boat, please share.

You did not say he lost the game, that is correct, my apologies. What you said was he didn't help us pick up any results. I think all of can agree that you are wrong on that. If it hadn't been for Quenton Nelson, there would have been zero offensive production in this game, because Geno Atkins and Carlos Dunlap would have had their way every play. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

This is at the very least a good sign that Nelson is going to be a good player.  

 

Walterfootball claimed that there was another run by Wilkins for 12 yards in which 

 

"His best run was a 12-yarder in which rookie guard Quenton Nelson destroyed Geno Atkins." 

 

http://www.walterfootball.com/nflreview.php#ixzz5QnzngOK6

 

Not sure which one he was talking about since I was unable to watch the game.  But obviously there was more then one instance in which QN pushed Atkins around.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Thread of the Week

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • In no particular order:   1. Jonathan Adams Jr - WR - Arkansas State https://www.espn.com/college-football/player/_/id/4241053/jonathan-adams-jr   2. Emeka Emezie - WR - NC State https://www.espn.com/college-football/player/_/id/4240120/emeka-emezie   3. Bo Melton - WR - Rutgers https://www.espn.com/college-football/player/_/id/4259305/bo-melton   4. Brenden Jaimes - T - Nebraska https://www.espn.com/college-football/player/_/id/4240800/brenden-jaimes   5. Tommy Doyle  - T - Miami (Ohio) https://www.espn.com/college-football/player/_/id/4038986/tommy-doyle   6. Cam Sample - DE/DT - Tulane https://www.espn.com/college-football/player/_/id/4243923/cameron-sample   7. Garret Wallow - LB - TCU  https://www.espn.com/college-football/player/_/id/4241807/garret-wallow   8. Shemar Jean Charles - CB - App State https://www.espn.com/college-football/player/_/id/4036430/shemar-jean-charles
    • Thought it was every other week... Might be completely wrong also.
    • To steal a quote from Jskinnz, "oh dear god". Never thought I'd read that from you especially with how much you criticized me for wanting Jenkins.
    • Cosmi is the better prospect, but Jenkins is the more likely option at 21. I can't see Cosmi getting out of the top 20
    • I noticed one site focusing on the Colts picked Reed to start instead of Glowinski. I wonder if Glowinski could be part of a trade, maybe to move up in the first round to get Darrisaw, or someone like that.
  • Members

    • BlueShoe

      BlueShoe 682

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • GoColts8818

      GoColts8818 4,688

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • RockThatBlue

      RockThatBlue 1,345

      Moderators
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • WoolMagnet

      WoolMagnet 3,212

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • twfish

      twfish 1,122

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • MPStack

      MPStack 3,421

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • MarquisJ

      MarquisJ 370

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • funktacious2

      funktacious2 440

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Horshoekid1986

      Horshoekid1986 7

      Rookie
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Aces101

      Aces101 198

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
×
×
  • Create New...