Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Andrew Luck

NannyMcafee

25 minutes ago, NannyMcafee said:

I think the main thing we should take from this game is Andrew looked pretty freakin great for a game that was shaking rust off. Yeah there was some stuff to clean up, but at least we were successful on 3rd down for the majority of the game. Can’t say how many 3 and outs we had during the pagano era. Seemed like we could never get a 3rd down anymore. Glad to see we have made improvement. Go colts, it was a fun game. 

I wouldn't call losing a home game by 11 to the bengals 'fun' but glad you enjoyed it.

• Like 1

He played a good game.

Took some big hits however and was still under a lot of pressure. Play calling eased the pass rush from the defense a bit though.

Was exciting to see him have a chance to come back and win the game. Just didn’t happen though.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NannyMcafee said:

I call a game that is competitive fun when we haven’t been competive in 2 years. 

Was a fun game to be at minus the overwhelming amount of Bengals fans there .  

3 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

I wouldn't call losing a home game by 11 to the bengals 'fun' but glad you enjoyed it.

We were a few iffy calls away from victory game easily could have went a very different direction .

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, pgt_rob said:

Now all of the Castonzo haters know how a game goes without him. He's much more valuable than some think. 

And imagine this WR group with the 5th/6th/7th Rd picks for TY that many were on board with?

We clearly see that an 'average or above average' LT makes a huge difference.

Andrew's presence was felt on the field and in the stands. When the ball was in his hands, I truly believed we could win the game. That's a feeling I haven't had in a while. 

Yes, he made some mistakes, forced a handful of throws, and did his trademark sacrifice of his body. But I saw the rust shaking off play by play, and I witnessed Luck getting into a rhythm.

It wasn't "Aaron Rodgers throwing three touchdowns on a bum leg" good, but it was still impressive after over a year of missing action. It was good to see him back. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, IinD said:

And imagine this WR group with the 5th/6th/7th Rd picks for TY that many were on board with?

We clearly see that an 'average or above average' LT makes a huge difference.

Are you saying we probably would have won with one of those guys?
TY caught 5 of 11 passes thrown his way with a little drop.  

What a Great passing game Reich and his staff put on the field/
 4 and 5 wide, spreading the field getting guys wide open play after play. 

Beautiful to watch.
And the execution by these new players for a game one was Awesome.

Andrew Luck.... oh my!  He looked like a Hot Tom Brady, Flacco in his SB run.
 Ball after ball after ball was belt ____ high, leading his receivers, with great touch.
 Finally, he was throwing the BBZ that all the expectations projected he would deliver.
  I saw enough on both sides of the ball to get me really excited about what is coming ahead.
  Yes, that game was fun to watch.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

Are you saying we probably would have won with one of those guys?
TY caught 5 of 11 passes thrown his way with a little drop.  

Simply saying if you took ty off this team the WR's would be even worse.

Can't knock or want to get rid of the few talented guys we have. Main thing was how people say Stanzo' is horrible. I was extending that to ty as well. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

I don't understand why everyone acts like there's some huge amount of shame in losing to the Bengals. They have one of the more talented rosters in the AFC this year, a fantastic front 7, & a very solid offense. That team is going to win 10 or 11 games, & likely their division, & they were simply the better team yesterday.

• Like 1

A running game would help tremendously. If there is a big name in the off-season Ballard needs to pull the trigger and help this line out.

A few of the screens I think Luck should have just thrown the ball into the ground. Their defense was all over them and we ended up losing yards on quite a few

12 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

I don't understand why everyone acts like there's some huge amount of shame in losing to the Bengals. They have one of the more talented rosters in the AFC this year, a fantastic front 7, & a very solid offense. That team is going to win 10 or 11 games, & likely their division, & they were simply the better team yesterday.

The Bengals (in pokemon terms for me), would be like losing to a kid who just turned 15 and entered the 15+ age group. They are the third best team in their division (in all likelyhood), and we made their best players look like stars with no resistance. The offense was better than I thought, and we used them somewhat creatively, but Mixon decimated the D-Line, and the Bengals had a lot of big plays against us. 

Imagine what teams with elite QBs and RBs can do against us if we are struggling against the Bengals. Not the best start to the season. At least Luck looks like he shook off the rust early.

1 minute ago, Jared Cisneros said:

The Bengals (in pokemon terms for me), would be like losing to a kid who just turned 15 and entered the 15+ age group. They are the third best team in their division (in all likelyhood), and we made their best players look like stars with no resistance. The offense was better than I thought, and we used them somewhat creatively, but Mixon decimated the D-Line, and the Bengals had a lot of big plays against us. 

Imagine what teams with elite QBs and RBs can do against us if we are struggling against the Bengals. Not the best start to the season. At least Luck looks like he shook off the rust early.

Mixon had a good day, he ran for 95, not sure if I'd call that "decimating," but either way he was solid. AJ Green had 6 catches, & they forced fumbles on 2 of them, which is something I think we'll be seeing a lot of moving forward, & Nelson held his own VERY well against Geno Atkins. Aside from a few key plays, I'd say their stars, at least the matchups that I was most concerned about, were held in check for the most part.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Mixon had a good day, he ran for 95, not sure if I'd call that "decimating," but either way he was solid. AJ Green had 6 catches, & they forced fumbles on 2 of them, which is something I think we'll be seeing a lot of moving forward, & Nelson held his own VERY well against Geno Atkins. Aside from a few key plays, I'd say their stars, at least the matchups that I was most concerned about, were held in check for the most part.

Mixon got 17 carries for 95 yards and a td, that's over 5.5 yards per carry. He also got 5 receptions for 54 yards. Safe to say he had his way with us. Green also got 6 receptions for 92 yards and a td as well, not to mention the defensive td the Bengals got. Our running game was very poor again (we'll see if it improves with Mack), and Luck started slow again (only 3 points in the first quarter). The positive is that Luck spread the ball around, but no one really broke out any big plays besides the Ebron TD. At least the draft picks are looking ok, but we were heavily overmatched, and it wasn't an impressive first game by this team and Coach Reich.

7 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

we were heavily overmatched, and it wasn't an impressive first game by this team and Coach Reich.

:scratch:  "Heavily outmatched" ??!??  We almost won the game...  Until Fejedelem (who?) made that AMAZING play on Doyle (and let's give credit where credit is due), Luck & Co. were driving for what looked to be a game-winning TD.

Luck looked good.  The defense caused turnovers.  I thought Reich actually managed the game pretty well.  Unless you were expecting to blowout the Bengals 49-0, then yes, this was an impressive first game.  We just didn't win.  But we ALMOST did.  :thmup:

How different the tune would be in this forum if we had scored on that last drive and won the game...  :dunno:

• Like 1

Just now, Lucky Colts Fan said:

:scratch:  "Heavily outmatched" ??!??  We almost won the game...  Until Fejedelem (who?) made that AMAZING play on Doyle (and let's give credit where credit is due), Luck & Co. were driving for what looked to be a game-winning TD.

Luck looked good.  The defense caused turnovers.  I thought Reich actually managed the game pretty well.  Unless you were expecting to blowout the Bengals 49-0, then yes, this was an impressive first game.  We just didn't win.  But we ALMOST did.  :thmup:

How different the tune would be in this forum if we had scored on that last drive and won the game...  :dunno:

Mixon had his way with us, 17 carries for 95 yards. 5.5 yards per carry. 5 receptions for 54 yards as well. Green did his usual thing. 6 receptions for 92 yards and a td. Our running game was nonexistent, Luck started out slow and we only scored 3 points in the first quarter. 

This was only the Bengals, mind you. Andy Dalton and a young offense had their way with us. I was expecting the defense to do better than this. We put up no resistance against them. Like I said above, imagine when we play teams with elite QBs and RBs. This was a winnable game, and we made it look very difficult. I guess I was expecting more from coach Reich. I'll give it 3 more weeks before judging though.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

What a Great passing game Reich and his staff put on the field/
 4 and 5 wide, spreading the field getting guys wide open play after play. 

Beautiful to watch.
And the execution by these new players for a game one was Awesome.

Andrew Luck.... oh my!  He looked like a Hot Tom Brady, Flacco in his SB run.
 Ball after ball after ball was belt ____ high, leading his receivers, with great touch.
 Finally, he was throwing the BBZ that all the expectations projected he would deliver.
  I saw enough on both sides of the ball to get me really excited about what is coming ahead.
  Yes, that game was fun to watch.

It is great to see the beginnings of a well constructed team. It was fun!

7 hours ago, NannyMcafee said:

I call a game that is competitive fun when we haven’t been competive in 2 years. 

Bengals are at minimum a solid team.  At best probably a play off team.

Colts hung with them and if you change a play or 2 the Colts could have won.  

Not saying I like losing but it bodes well that the Colts might be competitive this season.  

6 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Mixon had his way with us, 17 carries for 95 yards. 5.5 yards per carry. 5 receptions for 54 yards as well. Green did his usual thing. 6 receptions for 92 yards and a td. Our running game was nonexistent, Luck started out slow and we only scored 3 points in the first quarter. 

And yet we still almost won the game... so... what is your point?  This is the NFL.  Of course the two best players on their offense are going to put up some stats.  But we held them each to <100 yds and only one TD, which is pretty impressive for a new defense starting multiple rookies.

We aren't the '85 Bears on defense, but it's not like Mixon ran for 200 yds and 3 TDs or Green caught 15 balls for 200 yds and 3 TDs...

10 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Andy Dalton and a young offense had their way with us.

What game were you watching?  I saw Dalton under a lot of pressure in the pocket (thank you Margus Hunt), and he threw for <250 yds, so its not like he went off on our secondary...  And if not for some missed tackles and stupid penalties, we would have bottled up their offense pretty well.  The Colts had more offensive yards than Cincy... so Luck & Co. had their way with the Bengals too, right?  :scratch:

5 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

We had lead lots of times last year going in 2nd half. Wouldn't you call that 'competitive'?

And in the previous season we went 8-8. I think that is 'competitive'.

I like to see growth. I like to see competitiveness through each QTR. not % for 3 and a half QTRs and then some competitiveness. 

The colts are young, and showed more to me than the colts have for the last 2 and a half seasons. There are still a lot of holes. There is more to building a team than winning games every Sunday. They’re headed in the right direction. Andrew hasn’t played for over a year. There is rust. I don’t know what you expect. If you’re not having fun then stop watching. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jared Cisneros said:

This was only the Bengals, mind you. Andy Dalton and a young offense had their way with us. I was expecting the defense to do better than this. We put up no resistance against them. Like I said above, imagine when we play teams with elite QBs and RBs. This was a winnable game, and we made it look very difficult.

yeah, that kind of thing tends to happen when you have a lot of young, inexperienced players getting substantial playing time...not to mention the veteran players learning a new scheme and new teammates.  

I guess I was expecting more from coach Reich. I'll give it 3 more weeks before judging though.

wow, even the Browns give a new HC at least one full season (most of the time) :P

15 minutes ago, NannyMcafee said:

I like to see growth. I like to see competitiveness through each QTR. not % for 3 and a half QTRs and then some competitiveness. 

The colts are young, and showed more to me than the colts have for the last 2 and a half seasons. There are still a lot of holes. There is more to building a team than winning games every Sunday. They’re headed in the right direction. Andrew hasn’t played for over a year. There is rust. I don’t know what you expect. If you’re not having fun then stop watching. 

Lol....I expect them to lose because they have some serious lack of talent. Even with Luck. Hopefully it changes sooner than later.

But you make us sound like we're a small college team going up against GIANT COLLEGE TEAMS like Alabama. Clemson, Georgia etc.... And is excited that the game was competitive vs the Bengals. Lol

It's the NFL bro, 90% of games are supposed to be competitive. You know, "any given Sunday" quote.

You can think anyway you like, but some of us don't want to have the outlook/mentality of a Brownie fan has had the past couple decades.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jared Cisneros said:

This was only the Bengals, mind you. Andy Dalton and a young offense had their way with us. I was expecting the defense to do better than this. We put up no resistance against them. Like I said above, imagine when we play teams with elite QBs and RBs. This was a winnable game, and we made it look very difficult. I guess I was expecting more from coach Reich. I'll give it 3 more weeks before judging though.

They're gonna do that to most teams they play against. AJ Green is elite, John Ross is starting to look like he was worth that 1st round pick, Eifert, when healthy, is as reliable as they come, & Mixon is every bit as good as advertised.

And I don't really know what more you expected from Reich, for the majority of the game, he was coaching circles around Marvin Lewis, but in the end, the Bengals were the more talented team. They have polished, veteran experience at all the positions that we have rookies & 2nd year players, particularly on the defensive side of the ball, & that ended up making a huge difference, especially in the 2nd half.