Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The NFL has to get rid of ties

Hi-Tek

3 minutes ago, Hi-Tek said:

Seriously...every season. It's embarrassing to sports in general to have a tie. It's even worse when you are only playing 16 games. It is the dumbest rule in the NFL.

Explain how (without lengthening games and subjecting players to increased injury risk?)

The floor is yours...

10 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Explain how (without lengthening games and subjecting players to increased injury risk?)

The floor is yours...

Explain how players blow out their knees on non-contact plays when they are at practice. The floor is yours.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2

28 minutes ago, Hi-Tek said:

Seriously...every season. It's embarrassing to sports in general to have a tie. It's even worse when you are only playing 16 games. It is the dumbest rule in the NFL.

I like ties.....

.and it eliminates the need for some tiebreakers  at the end of the year..look at it that way

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

They aren't going to extend regular season games.  Ties are very rare

They're not that rare.

5 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

I like ties.....

.and it eliminates the need for some tiebreakers  at the end of the year..look at it that way

They are terrible. They serve no purpose. None.

56 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

The floor is yours...

Well in soccer you have penalty kicks. Why not have kick offs starting at 35 moving back 5 yds until someone misses...or go to college rules. Where you start possession at opponent 35 or something. Either way it probably is more exciting and less harmful for players.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

No result serves a purpose..it is what it is./

They're never going to play more than 5 quarters.

You must be young....all levels of football used to have tie games

Pretty presumptuous. I'm not young at all. And ties are stupid. They are especially stupid in the NFL.

4 hours ago, Hi-Tek said:

Explain how players blow out their knees on non-contact plays when they are at practice. The floor is yours.

Without trying to get all medical/technical on you, it is-

1. Coming to an abrupt stop from a full sprint

2. Landing from a forward jump (or stop) and the knee buckles medially under the load.

These caused by players getting stronger in areas to create the issue, but not taking equal time to get stronger in the required areas to prevent it from happening.

{IE: Not strong enough in the hips to sink them when stopping, thus extending hips with knees slightly bent in the stop, thereby contracting the quadriceps while the hamstrings relax and the ACL is ripe for rupture}

Prevention? Include a special exercise program that focuses on strengthening hips, legs, glutes, and hamstrings. This will go a long way in eliminating/reducing non contact ACL injuries.

Back to you, I feel your answer { last team to score wins } is unsatisfactory.  Because that tells me you feel a team that ties the game late wins because they scored last.

3 hours ago, dgambill said:

Well in soccer you have penalty kicks. Why not have kick offs starting at 35 moving back 5 yds until someone misses...or go to college rules. Where you start possession at opponent 35 or something. Either way it probably is more exciting and less harmful for players.

I'm sure the NFL competition committee discussed it among other options.  But then again, turning an NFL game into a real life Madden video game at the end is exciting for fans - like the Texas Tech / TCU game  that tied at 36, and then where each team scored two TD's and then one team got just a FG, then the other another TD to win: 56 -53

NFL changed OT rules and reduced OT time down to 10 minutes, for a reason.

10 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Back to you, I feel your answer { last team to score wins } is unsatisfactory.  Because that tells me you feel a team that ties the game late wins because they scored last.

i think it would be fine, ties are unsatisfactory 

it still keeps things interesting until the end

12 hours ago, Hi-Tek said:

1. It doesn't happen every year, it is more like every other year, which makes it pretty rare.

2. Now that @ColtsBlueFL has answered your question about injuries, why don't you answer his about how to eliminate ties without lengthening the game or increasing injuries?

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, dgambill said:

To the bolded, because that is no longer football.

On a side note, the fact that soccer would decide a championship on penalty kicks is a joke.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Hi-Tek said:

They're not that rare.

They are terrible. They serve no purpose. None.

Really? lets do some research...

Overtime rules were first introduced to the NFL in 1974. Since then, counting last night's game, there have been 23 games that have ended in a tie. 7 since 2012. out of a possible 1276. Since the first overtime rules were put into the game in 1974, there has been 11,360 games played, (not counting playoffs or preseason).  so .2, yes .2 percent of all the games played have resulted in a tie game.  and just .5 percent since 2012. You're not going to get much rarer than that. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

52 minutes ago, Cynjin said:

On a side note, the fact that soccer would decide a championship on penalty kicks is a joke.

shoot outs can be the most exciting part of the game in soccer, especially a 0-0 tie.  i dont think they are a joke at all

anything but a tie

33 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

shoot outs can be the most exciting part of the game in soccer, especially a 0-0 tie.  i dont think they are a joke at all

anything but a tie

Well I will say that compared to the actual match, a shoot out is probably more exciting.  However, it is no longer the game of soccer.  If they want to make the game more exciting there are other things they can do.  Deciding a championship on penalty kicks in ridiculous, IMO.  It is like deciding a Super Bowl on field goals.  Neither actually resembles the game that was played.  Why not decide the NBA championship with free throws?

1 minute ago, Cynjin said:

Why not decide the NBA championship with free throws?

not really necessary to prevent ties in basketball, but i would not hate it if they did that after double over time

i grew up playing 21, that usually comes down to free throws 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Cynjin said:

Well I will say that compared to the actual match, a shoot out is probably more exciting.  However, it is no longer the game of soccer.  If they want to make the game more exciting there are other things they can do.  Deciding a championship on penalty kicks in ridiculous, IMO.  It is like deciding a Super Bowl on field goals.  Neither actually resembles the game that was played.  Why not decide the NBA championship with free throws?

It most definitely does resemble what the game was. I take it you're never played soccer past rec then.  The point of shootouts is not about making it more exciting it's about the final test of skill to determine who has anything left in order to determine a winner. You try kicking a ball accurately and with pace after 120 minutes of straight running and contact.  NFL players can barely do it for 15-20.

34 minutes ago, Surge89 said:

It most definitely does resemble what the game was. I take it you're never played soccer past rec then.  The point of shootouts is not about making it more exciting it's about the final test of skill to determine who has anything left in order to determine a winner. You try kicking a ball accurately and with pace after 120 minutes of straight running and contact.  NFL players can barely do it for 15-20.

There you go, let one of the the non kicking football players on each side do an uncontested FG match with increasing distance!!! :huthut:     :td:

8 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

There you go, let one of the the non kicking football players on each side do an uncontested FG match with increasing distance!!! :huthut:     :td:

Lol...  Na I'm good with ties.  I don't understand what's the big deal in the regular season.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Cynjin said:

Well....by the name of the game "foot and ball" it is actually the truest form of the game. We really should call it pass ball lol. But I was joking...the fact the game ends in a tie is perfectly fine. So does soccer...unless its the post season or tournament. A game such as these that have been played for hours and still no winner decided doesn't need to continue just because someone can't stand to see two evenly matched opponents. However, my second suggestion going to college rules to me would be more exciting and much quicker to determine a winner. Especially forcing teams to go for two.

PS I don't like the rules either...but Hockey does it as well. If after 2 hours or more of constant running and competition neither team can decide a winner would you rather all the stars fall over of exhaustion and let subs determine the outcome or come down to an exciting thrilling ending? Either answer is fine...both perfectly acceptable...but the sport is for the fans..and to keep a game at a manageable time limit and to come to an exciting finish..well it satisfies both reasons for doing it. I'd prefer not to have to sit for 4 hours to find out a winner....and I'd also like to not have to watch two teams completely exhausted void of any of their ability tap the ball around until one side cramps up and someone gets a free shot on goal. I think watching guys in the 5th set at Wimbledon continue to serve on games at 40-39 is ridiculous instead of just playing a tie breaker....that might be changing soon too....I mean how fair is that if they have to come back the next day and have to play another match? Do I think kicking FGs until one misses is a good way to end a football game...no...but if you can't accept a tie then it's a solution..even if it seems a dumb one.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Surge89 said:

I definitely never played soccer beyond for recreation.   But that doesn't change the premise that is no longer soccer.  It is equivalent to deciding a football game with field goals or a basketball game with free throws.   That, to me anyway,  doesn't make sense.   NFL players can't do it because they don't train to run for that long.  It is not necessary for the sport.   However,  they are good enough athletes to run that long if they trained for it.

7 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Well....by the name of the game "foot and ball" it is actually the truest form of the game. We really should call it pass ball lol. But I was joking...the fact the game ends in a tie is perfectly fine. So does soccer...unless its the post season or tournament. A game such as these that have been played for hours and still no winner decided doesn't need to continue just because someone can't stand to see two evenly matched opponents. However, my second suggestion going to college rules to me would be more exciting and much quicker to determine a winner. Especially forcing teams to go for two.

PS I don't like the rules either...but Hockey does it as well. If after 2 hours or more of constant running and competition neither team can decide a winner would you rather all the stars fall over of exhaustion and let subs determine the outcome or come down to an exciting thrilling ending? Either answer is fine...both perfectly acceptable...but the sport is for the fans..and to keep a game at a manageable time limit and to come to an exciting finish..well it satisfies both reasons for doing it. I'd prefer not to have to sit for 4 hours to find out a winner....and I'd also like to not have to watch two teams completely exhausted void of any of their ability tap the ball around until one side cramps up and someone gets a free shot on goal. I think watching guys in the 5th set at Wimbledon continue to serve on games at 40-39 is ridiculous instead of just playing a tie breaker....that might be changing soon too....I mean how fair is that if they have to come back the next day and have to play another match? Do I think kicking FGs until one misses is a good way to end a football game...no...but if you can't accept a tie then it's a solution..even if it seems a dumb one.

If it were up to me, and it isn't, I would change the college rule to make the teams start at the 50 yard line, at least make the team get a first down or two before having the opportunity to kick a field goal. 

I don't like the hockey rule either.  I guess it's okay during the regular season, but I don't like it in the playoffs. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Cynjin said:

I definitely never played soccer beyond for recreation.   But that doesn't change the premise that is no longer soccer.  It is equivalent to deciding a football game with field goals or a basketball game with free throws.   That, to me anyway,  doesn't make sense.   NFL players can't do it because they don't train to run for that long.  It is not necessary for the sport.   However,  they are good enough athletes to run that long if they trained for it.

I think the fact is..it is still soccer. I guess you don't like shoot outs in hockey too..and that is fine...but what other way is acceptable to end the match? The longer the game goes on the quality of play drops immensely....to the point even if they are still running around and kicking the ball one could just as easily say...that isn't soccer. Other sports have a satisfactory way to end games because of the volume of scoring that is involved. I don't think its an awful way to end a game....after all they play a 30 minute overtime. I just can't think of another way to end it that would benefit the teams playing and the fans. Penalty kicks are a big part of soccer during a match so they I don't think they are a bad way to end a match. We would all prefer it not end that way but hey...it happens and both teams had their chances to end it before that.

3 hours ago, Cynjin said:

They only do that when absolutely necessary.

It's really odd to me that he brings up a comparison to soccer since soccer generally speaking is the game that allows and accepts the most ties.

Any regular season game in a soccer league allows for draws.  They are also allowed in the group stages of tournaments.

It's only when they get into the knockout stages of a tournament that they stop allowing draws and insist upon having a winner.  And P-kicks only come up after a 30 minute overtime period too.  

I'm not sure what the policy is if there is a tie after overtime of a playoff game in the NFL.  Anyone know?  But honestly regular season ties don't bother me that much.  And it is exceedingly rare.  They happen like once per season generally speaking.  

• Like 1

I see no problem with ending the game if it ends in a tie.  Why should a team take a loss after playing the game even for the whole game?  In football it's called a tie but in other sports it's called a draw.  This mentality of there has to be a winner after teams play even makes no sense to me.

• Like 1

Oh, I know...... disregard the final score all together, and award the win to the team that hold a lead for the longest period of time.

If that ends in a tie, go to the final score.

If that ends in a tie, go to the team with the most time outs left.

If that ends in a tie...... go to the team with the least 'what's a catch?' situations.

If that's a tie........    I don't want to watch football anymore...

• Haha 2