Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Vs. Bengals Game Day Thread

LucasOilStadium

Random stats:

Andrew Luck finished with 73% completion percentage and threw for over 300 yards.

Dalton threw for 75% completion percentage. We obviously did not affect him one bit. 

Mixon ran for 5.6 ypc. while Jordan Wilkins ran for 2.9 ypc. The O-line was very ineffective in the run game, and I predict this will be a problem all season.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

I read that of the 16 teams that go 0 - 1, an average of only 4 - 5 of those make it to the playoffs. So it is not an easy task, especially for a young team.

That's a misleading statistic.  If 4-5 of the teams that go 0-1 make the playoffs, then that means that 7-8 of the 16 teams that go 1-0 make the playoffs.  So losing your first game cuts your chances in half.  Considering that you generally have to go at least 10-6 to make the playoffs (sometimes you get in at 9-7 or 8-8), of course it is more likely that a playoff team will win their first game than lose it.  That should be expected.  The statistic gives the impression that the first game is somehow more important than the other games, though.  It isn't.  If you were to compile statistics for the second game of the season, I'm sure you would come to a similar result.  The 16 teams that win the second game of the season are more likely to make the playoffs than the 16 teams that lose the second game of the season.  I'm sure the same is true for the 3rd game, the 4th game, etc.  Once you get to the last three or four games of the season, the statistics probably start to deviate because teams rest starters, etc.  The only reason that the first game is more important is for morale purposes.  A team that wins its first game will feel better and play more confidently going into Week 2 than a team that loses its first game.  In the standings, though, the first game is no more important than any other game.

27 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

If Doyle holds it..we'd have won

And yet anyone with a brain knows that isn't true.  The odds were long.  

Doyle ran a fine route, made a solid catch, and put the ball away.
Unfortunately, the defender hit him hard and on the money to make his own Great play.
  This is for the group of whiner's on board  today.  You :censored::P

1 hour ago, JCPatriot said:

That's a misleading statistic.  If 4-5 of the teams that go 0-1 make the playoffs, then that means that 7-8 of the 16 teams that go 1-0 make the playoffs.  So losing your first game cuts your chances in half.  Considering that you generally have to go at least 10-6 to make the playoffs (sometimes you get in at 9-7 or 8-8), of course it is more likely that a playoff team will win their first game than lose it.  That should be expected.  The statistic gives the impression that the first game is somehow more important than the other games, though

I didn't, and maybe it doesn't give importance, it just reveals what has happened in NFL history. Past performance does indicate future performance.. YMMV... OTOH...

It isn't.  If you were to compile statistics for the second game of the season, I'm sure you would come to a similar result.  The 16 teams that win the second game of the season are more likely to make the playoffs than the 16 teams that lose the second game of the season. 

Now you need to compile statistics for 0-2 teams, vs. 1-1 teams and 2-0 teams.  Not each game in insolation.

I'm sure the same is true for the 3rd game, the 4th game, etc.  Once you get to the last three or four games of the season, the statistics probably start to deviate because teams rest starters, etc.  The only reason that the first game is more important is for morale purposes.  A team that wins its first game will feel better and play more confidently going into Week 2 than a team that loses its first game. 

Well, I feel it is also important to lead your rivals, and not chase them.

In the standings, though, the first game is no more important than any other game.

In and of themselves, true.    But losing it possibly could mean an early indication your team just isn't very good as well, thus the reduce chance for playoffs as well.  What do you speculate about only around 25% of teams 0-1 in the NFL history making the playoffs vs. 50% of 1-0 teams making the playoffs?

On 9/9/2018 at 8:06 AM, DraftMaster said:

I think this game will be like the Packers game in 2012 where it was an emotional game for the team due to Pagano's cancer so they fell behind early but then came back and won the game. Now in 2018 I think things will be emotional for the players for seeing Andrew Luck back. Gimme the Colts 30-27 in a great comeback fashion, just like the game against the Packers in 2012.

So pumped for this game GO COLTS!:rock:

What is unbelievable is, you should've been right. Had Doyle not fumbled we probably would've won 30-27. We would've had 1st and 10 at the 18 had Doyle not fumbled, probability of winning at that point was around 75%.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

What is unbelievable is, you should've been right. Had Doyle not fumbled we probably would've won 30-27. We would've had 1st and 10 at the 18 had Doyle not fumbled, probability of winning at that point was around 75%.

Woah, I didn't realize that...Well that makes me feel 6.2% better. On to Washington!

• Like 1