Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

'Andrew 5,000'

oldunclemark

We dont figure to blow out a lot of teams and we may not have a great running game.

But we have receivers and tight ends....new blood in the offensive line....and a coach who likes to throw and was one of the

originator students of the hurry-up, no huddle offense..

and, we have a guy at the wheel who has 'a particular set of skills'

You know it. I said it. If Andrew Luck plays all 16 games, he will throw for 5,000 yards.

Get ready for the new and improved 'Andrew 5,000'

Edited by oldunclemark
spell
  • Like 3

Remember....   one of the first comments made by Reich when he was hired is that he wants the 2018 Colts to have a top-10 running game.

Honestly,  I don’t even think we want Luck Tobias’s for 5,000 yards.    I’m guesding closer to 4,000-4,500 is what we ideally like.   And perhaps 1750-2000 rushing yards would make Reich and Ballard happy.

I think if we’re throwing for 5,000 yards we're coming from behind way too much.

Just thinking out loud...    perhaps some food for thought...

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Gabriel Alexander Morillo said:

If by receivers you mean TY Hilton...

I feel sorry for TY.  Never played on a team that had a top 10 defense or played next to another talented receiver.  Dude gets doubled every play and still produces.  Yet, he's never talked about when it comes to star/elite level WRs.  

Lots of people think our running game is gonna suck.  I'm not one of them.  Our inner o-line is built to run even more than pass protect.  Nelson is a run mauler.  Smith is a run mauler.  Slausson, same.  Heck, even Good (when he's healthy and on the field).  A team with a real inner o-line don't need 'star' RB's.  They MAKE 'star' RB's.  Frankly, I think we have more talent in Mack and Wilken's than people generally think.  I bet between the two of them we do get 1500+ yards. (not including our other RB's and Luck)

9 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Remember....   one of the first comments made by Reich when he was hired is that he wants the 2018 Colts to have a top-10 running game.

Honestly,  I don’t even think we want Luck Tobias’s for 5,000 yards.    I’m guesding closer to 4,000-4,500 is what we ideally like.   And perhaps 1750-2000 rushing yards would make Reich and Ballard happy.

I think if we’re throwing for 5,000 yards we're coming from behind way too much.

I think a running game is very important too. Opens up everything else when you can run the ball down people's throats. Control the clock. Wear the defense down. Makes focus so much in stopping run you kill them with the play action. Love it

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TKnight24 said:

Nope. See Drew Brees this past season. That’s what I want Luck to be. If he’s that, that means the running game and defense is working. And even then Brees threw for 4K 

Don’t need Luck throwing for 5k. That means something isn’t right 

That's not necessarily true....that's fear talking

Andrew throwing for 5,000 means he's healthy and we're productive...right? All good

I reject the argument that a QB throwing for 5,000 yards is bad for the team...

Its like saying a guy who hits 50 home runs...isn't good at bunting and advancing runners

• Like 1

10 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

That's conventional thinking NCF and it isn't wrong.....

But how much do you care HOW we win IF we win?

Colts probably dont have a Top-10 running game this season..(I think that's a safe bet) ..and we will be coming from behind. (another lock) ...those 2 points are why Andrew will throw for 5,000. 

There is no 'ideal'....We want to win 10 or 11 and make the playoffs.

We have the receivers...….it's going to happen. It starts today.

………. and you'll love it..

Edited by oldunclemark

1 hour ago, Lawrence Owen said:

Lots of people think our running game is gonna suck.  I'm not one of them.  Our inner o-line is built to run even more than pass protect.  Nelson is a run mauler.  Smith is a run mauler.  Slausson, same.  Heck, even Good (when he's healthy and on the field).  A team with a real inner o-line don't need 'star' RB's.  They MAKE 'star' RB's.  Frankly, I think we have more talent in Mack and Wilken's than people generally think.  I bet between the two of them we do get 1500+ yards. (not including our other RB's and Luck)

Do you think we will be in the Top-10 in the NFL in rushing, L.O.?

11 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

We dont figure to blow out a lot of teams and we may not have a great running game.

But we have receivers and tight ends....new blood in the offensive line....and a coach who likes to throw and was one of the

You know it. I said it. If Andrew Luck plays all 16 games, he will throw for 5,000 yards.

The 1st half of the season looks to be a rough one, JMO of course.
And i am looking forward to the development of "the new" Lucky.
As of today, the idea that we have the receivers is Way Out There.

• Like 1

I'm very worried about the offense to open the season. The running game is suspect for us (even with Mack), our WR's besides Hilton are unknown or inconsistent right now, and Ebron hasn't convinced me he is going to make a big difference with the current sample size yet. Luck is very rusty right now. I expect to start out very slow on opening day as the Bengals have a very good D-Line and will probably create some pressure. 

Luck should improve throughout the season. He isn't getting 5,000 yards with this offense though. It will be the defense that carries us and protects the offense all year IMO. That's where we have a lot of new talent that I believe in. Our bad WR luck will make it hard on Luck unfortunately. 

I expect 8-9 wins if Luck figures it out after a few games. This will be a very fun year with all the new talent from the last two drafts, but still a transition year. Ceiling is a wildcard IMO, so I'm hoping for the best.

2 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

The 1st half of the season looks to be a rough one, JMO of course.
And i am looking forward to the development of "the new" Lucky.

I hear you.

...I've looked forward to this day for a long time..

We have as good a QB as anybody we'll play....we wont need luck if we have Luck

8 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I'm very worried about the offense to open the season. The running game is suspect for us (even with Mack), our WR's besides Hilton are unknown or inconsistent right now, and Ebron hasn't convinced me he is going to make a big difference with the current sample size yet. Luck is very rusty right now. I expect to start out very slow on opening day as the Bengals have a very good D-Line and will probably create some pressure. 

Luck should improve throughout the season. He isn't getting 5,000 yards with this offense though.

Ebron is an excellent pass catching tight end..your issues with him notwithstanding.

Forget pre-season.. Doyle and Ebron produced last year..

Ryan Grant and Chester Rogers don't have to be great..because Andrew will get them the ball.   The league is cracking down on illegal contact....we get more calls.  And LeVeon Bell aint walkin' through that door anytime soon.

It starts today.

You'll see.. Check back with me at 4 p.m.

1 minute ago, oldunclemark said:

Ebron is an excellent pass catching tight end..your issues with him notwithstanding.

Forget pre-season.. Doyle and Ebron produced last year..

Ryan Grant nand Chester Rogers don't have to be great..because Andrew will get them the ball.

It starts today.

You'll see.. Check back with me at 4 p.m.

Lets hope for the best. New hope for a new season.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Luck should improve throughout the season. He isn't getting 5,000 yards with this offense though. It will be the defense that carries us and protects the offense all year IMO. That's where we have a lot of new talent that I believe in. Our bad WR luck will make it hard on Luck unfortunately. 

I expect 8-9 wins if Luck figures it out after a few games. This will be a very fun year with all the new talent from the last two drafts, but still a transition year. Ceiling is a wildcard IMO, so I'm hoping for the best.

I respectfully disagree with this statement.  The D is a complete unkown at this point with such youth and inexperience.  It may come down to that, but I have a very difficult time predicting that before the first snap of the season.  I think we have to outscore our opponents because our D is not keeping up their end.

We shall see...

11 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

That would be fine and dandy.  However what would impress me more is if he can keep his INT total in single digits.  We already know he can be a gun slinger.  But can he do that AND do a better job of protecting the football?  That's what I want to see in an "improved" version of Andrew Luck.

5 hours ago, smittywerb said:

I feel sorry for TY.  Never played on a team that had a top 10 defense or played next to another talented receiver.  Dude gets doubled every play and still produces.  Yet, he's never talked about when it comes to star/elite level WRs.  

Ummmm... He played next to Reggie Wayne for 2 years and has been complimented by a few decent WRs.  Maybe they haven't all been allstars but how many teams have more than one Superstar receiver?  TY's problem is that he is the "Ghost"... meaning he disappears sometimes in games and has difficulty beating double teams.  If he really wants to be considered elite then he needs to be able to produce even when double teamed.

6 minutes ago, NagelHausForge said:

Ummmm... He played next to Reggie Wayne for 2 years and has been complimented by a few decent WRs.  Maybe they haven't all been allstars but how many teams have more than one Superstar receiver?  TY's problem is that he is the "Ghost"... meaning he disappears sometimes in games and has difficulty beating double teams.  If he really wants to be considered elite then he needs to be able to produce even when double teamed.

He had Reggie for 1 full year.  The next year he played 7 games.  But after that, Dorsett?  Moncrief?  Nicks?  Over-the-hill Andre johnson?  PLEASE! lol  I wouldn't call them decent besides Moncrief but he couldn't stay on the field.

Refer to this list: https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2777814-ranking-every-nfl-receiving-corps-heading-into-the-2018-season#slide16 We rank #24.  And this was before preseason.

Not saying we need star receivers to compliment TY, but someone else who can take pressure off him is needed.  BADLY.

29 minutes ago, Coltsman1788 said:

That would be fine and dandy.  However what would impress me more is if he can keep his INT total in single digits.  We already know he can be a gun slinger.  But can he do that AND do a better job of protecting the football?  That's what I want to see in an "improved" version of Andrew Luck.

I don't care about interceptions.....

….Its safe to say we don't have an impact running game...

...and we will be behind in games....

….We have to attack...up tempo..no huddle...and we need 300 yards or so passing per game to win..

But addressing your concerns, we don't have to bomb it....the double tight end attack suggest more of a short pass posessions attack....2 of our best 3 receivers are our tight ends..

..To win 10 games...Andrew needs to throw 30-40 times..I think we all know that.  Rely on your best player...Everybody else does

Edited by oldunclemark

9 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

I don't care about interceptions.....

….Its safe to say we don't have an impact running game...

...and we will be behind in games....

….We have to attack...up tempo..no huddle...and we need 300 yards or so per game to win..

But addressing your concerns, we e don't have to bomb it....the double tight end attack suggest more of a short pass posessions attack....2 of our best 3 receivers are our tight ends..

..To win 10 games...Andrew needs to throw 30-40 times..I think we all know that

Interceptions are important.  You should care.  I understand that they will occur but the frequency of occurrence matters and can be the difference in games won and lost.   To your point, I'm hopeful that the new offensive scheme will help Luck to perform better on that front.  We know he has to still be aggressive but will also need to couple that with safer throws and better decision making if he is to truly elevate his game.

5,000 yards?

Tom Brady led the league in passing yards last year with 4,577 yards. 

Tom Brady passed for 5,000 yards once in 18 years.

Peyton Manning passed for 5,000 yards  once in 18 years.

Dan Marino passed for 5,000 yards once in 17 years.

Matthew Stafford did it once in 9 years.

Philip Rivers, Eli Manning, Ben Roethlisberger, have never passed for 5,000 yards.

Dan Fouts, Joe Montana, John Elway never did it.

Why do some people think it's a reasonable goal?

Probably because Drew Brees did it 5 times.

12 minutes ago, Coltsman1788 said:

Interceptions are important.  You should care. 

Andrew has throw 68 interceptions in 5 years.....

Last time he played...31 TDs..13 interceptions...Im just not concerned about it

Last time he was healthy...4,761 yards...40 TDs..16 interceptions

Its a myth that Andrew throws 'too many' interceptions

I care about wins....and making the playoffs.

Andrew's made the playoffs 3 of 5 years and he's never had a losing season.

No reason not to be very, very optimistic today

Edited by oldunclemark

13 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

Andrew has throw 68 interceptions in 5 years.....

Last time he played...31 TDs..13 interceptions...Im just not concerned about it

Last time he was healthy...4,761 yards...40 TDs..16 interceptions

Its a myth that Andrew throws 'too many' interceptions

I care about wins....and making the playoffs.

Andrew's made the playoffs 3 of 5 years and he's never had a losing season.

No reason not to be very, very optimistic today

The myth is your choice to believe that it doesn’t matter.  Especially when Andrew Luck himself admits he needs to work on that part of his game. Not to mention that it has been a point of emphasis for both the present and previous coaching staffs.  If you want to know why Luck hasn’t widely been proclaimed as elite by NFL pundits and fans outside of the Colts fan base...it’s the turnover problem.  His QBR would be much better if he improved that aspect of his game.  Right now he is one of several good young QBs in the league. He has yet to truly separate himself from Russell Wilson, Cam Newton or Matt Ryan. 

Sure Luck can still get us wins and maybe into the playoffs.  That’s not the ultimate goal however. That would be great for this season but to eventually deliver this franchise to the promise land, Luck can not continue to chuck INTs all over the place. 

24 minutes ago, Coltsman1788 said:

The myth is your choice to believe that it doesn’t matter.  Especially when Andrew Luck himself admits he needs to work on that part of his game. Not to mention that it has been a point of emphasis for both the present and previous coaching staffs.  If you want to know why Luck hasn’t widely been proclaimed as elite by NFL pundits and fans outside of the Colts fan base...it’s the turnover problem.  His QBR would be much better if he improved that aspect of his game.  Right now he is one of several good young QBs in the league. He has yet to truly separate himself from Russell Wilson, Cam Newton or Matt Ryan. 

Sure Luck can still get us wins and maybe into the playoffs.  That’s not the ultimate goal however. That would be great for this season but to eventually deliver this franchise to the promise land, Luck can not continue to chuck INTs all over the place. 

It's really not how many picks Andrew throws.  He's gotten better at the amount.  It's WHEN he throws them.  

When he gets into the redzone, he is so focused on getting a TD..he forced to many into real tight spaces.  If he just calms down in  the redzone..and not try to force the issue,..he'll be fine.

2 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

Do you think we will be in the Top-10 in the NFL in rushing, L.O.?

Also,..People say we have no receivers besides T.Y.  This is just not true.  WR's are not the only receivers.  Doyle, Ebron will have big seasons.  The RB's on screen plays and dump off's.  And Rodgers can play.  

A good all around O makes for a good O.  And it all starts with the O-line.

27 minutes ago, Coltsman1788 said:

ts a myth to say that a QB with 68 interceptions and 132 TDs in 5 years "chucks INTs all over the place"  You'r working with a stereotype of Andrew. The facts dont fit that arguement.

I dont care about QBR and my goal is to win the divison and make the playoffs.

That's all you can do during the regular season.

With Andrew..we have that chance..I'm very optimistic

2 minutes ago, Lawrence Owen said:

Also,..People say we have no receivers besides T.Y.  This is just not true.  WR's are not the only receivers.  Doyle, Ebron will have big seasons.  The RB's on screen plays and dump off's.  And Rodgers can play.  

A good all around O makes for a good O.  And it all starts with the O-line.

9 minutes ago, Lawrence Owen said:

top 15 IMO.  There is a lot of good rushing teams out there.  And many Outstanding RB's who are healthy now.

Top-15?   Really? Who will start today?

2 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

ts a myth to say that a QB with 68 interceptions and 132 TDs in 5 years "chucks INTs all over the place"  You'r working with a stereotype of Andrew. The facts dont fit that arguement.

I dont care about QBR and my goal is to win the divison and make the playoffs.

That's all you can do during the regular season.

With Andrew..we have that chance..I'm very optimistic

An average of 14 INTs per season is too many.  That’s not a stereotype.  There is room for improvement.  We will just have to respectfully disagree.  It’s almost game time anyway.  

9 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

Top-15?   Really? Who will start today?

/Sorry, just got back.  Obviously Wilkins this game...lol.  But I like Mack.  I think he'll be so much better in the gut of the line than last year.  Watching him play the few first preseason carries, it showed. This run game will get better as the season goes on.  When A.C. comes back especially.  And if Good can get back and stay healthy. (not holding breath tho)

As for the passing game, I think this game proved my point that we have more weapons receiving than people give credit for. We'll be fine. Still young and will only get better as the season goes.

On 9/9/2018 at 12:14 AM, NewColtsFan said:

True but I don't see it as us having the players yet for a top 10 run game. 

Now maybe it's plausible.  I believe the Bengals do have a good D-Line and with some experience maybe Nelson can become a better run blocker.  But it's not the look of a team with a top 10 run game.

And it's not like we where down most of the game either.  So I'm guessing Luck's throwing had more to do with that being the only reliable way to move the ball. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

True but I don't see it as us having the players yet for a top 10 run game. 

Now maybe it's plausible.  I believe the Bengals do have a good D-Line and with some experience maybe Nelson can become a better run blocker.  But it's not the look of a team with a top 10 run game.

And it's not like we where down most of the game either.  So I'm guessing Luck's throwing had more to do with that being the only reliable way to move the ball. 

not a chance we will be top ten, we have not even been top 20 since peyton manning was here

losing gore set us back too, we will see what a good rushing team looks like again next week

• Like 1