Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts projected salary cap 2019

Steamboat_Shaun

3 minutes ago, Flash7 said:

My thoughts on John Simon:

1. He is probably an average player, but he hustles his tail off. As a fan, I see it and I appreciate it. I do not think that he's anything more though. (But I do think he was better than Basham and Turay at the moment) and would have given us a better chance of winning. So I do not think we improved the roster for 2018 by cutting him. Perhaps for 2019 and beyond, but that's hoping players develop. Sometimes, as with T.J. Green, you can have all the talent in the world....

2. He was given an opportunity to show that he can transition from the 3-4 to the 4-3. Most fans and most "journalist" that followed the Colts actually thought he transitioned well, thus the surprise when he was cut.

3. Simon was cut to allow for more playing time for Basham and Turay. From what we have seen, Simon was more deserving of that playing time. But it was a tough decision for Ballard and for the most part, understand it, but it gives the impression that 2018 is a throw-away year, which as a fan, especially of Andrew Luck, I don't like.

They tried to trade him, & no one wanted him. He has 1 visit scheduled so far with the Jets. He's injury prone. Even though I did like what I saw from him in the 9 games he played last year, I seriously doubt that he ends up being a starter for anyone unless there's a team out there that has a rash of injuries & is desperate for a LBer.

That's not to say that I think we should've kept Margus Hunt over Simon, but that's a different conversation altogether.

1 minute ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

They tried to trade him, & no one wanted him. He has 1 visit scheduled so far with the Jets. He's injury prone. Even though I did like what I saw from him in the 9 games he played last year, I seriously doubt that he ends up being a starter for anyone unless there's a team out there that has a rash of injuries & is desperate for a LBer.

That's not to say that I think we should've kept Margus Hunt over Simon, but that's a different conversation altogether.

1. If Simon were not waived, he would be the Colts starter, correct?

2. If he's the starter for the Colts and could not get traded, what does that tell you about our back ups, who are now forced to start? 

3. This was a move to give the younger guys playing time, and that's fine. But we are not a better roster without Simon. We had Turay and Basham and Simon, and now, only two of the three. We have gotten weaker. No way around that.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Flash7 said:

My thoughts on John Simon:

1. He is probably an average player, but he hustles his tail off. As a fan, I see it and I appreciate it. I do not think that he's anything more though. (But I do think he was better than Basham and Turay at the moment) and would have given us a better chance of winning. So I do not think we improved the roster for 2018 by cutting him. Perhaps for 2019 and beyond, but that's hoping players develop. Sometimes, as with T.J. Green, you can have all the talent in the world....

2. He was given an opportunity to show that he can transition from the 3-4 to the 4-3. Most fans and most "journalist" that followed the Colts actually thought he transitioned well, thus the surprise when he was cut.

3. Simon was cut to allow for more playing time for Basham and Turay. From what we have seen, Simon was more deserving of that playing time. But it was a tough decision for Ballard and for the most part, understand it, but it gives the impression that 2018 is a throw-away year, which as a fan, especially of Andrew Luck, I don't like.

I think Ballard spelled it out as simple as can be.
 Simon lacks the height, weight, and speed for what Ballard understands to be necessary to play either of the end positions at the level Ballard is aiming for.
 Love the hustle but really, the cut was easy. Ballard had to be hoping Simon would be healthy and playing well at cut time to be trade bait. The end.
 And there is every reason to believe that one or both of the players you mentioned will contribute at a good level as Colts going forward.
 Sorry, but if you don't see this season and next as developmental seasons... lots of luck

Just now, throwing BBZ said:

I think Ballard spelled it out as simple as can be.
 Simon lacks the height, weight, and speed for what Ballard understands to be necessary to play either of the end positions at the level Ballard is aiming for.
 Love the hustle but really, the cut was easy. Ballard had to be hoping Simon would be healthy and playing well at cut time to be trade bait. The end.
 And there is every reason to believe that one or both of the players you mentioned will contribute at a good level as Colts going forward.
 Sorry, but if you don't see this season and next as developmental seasons... lots of luck

You start by mentioning Ballard spelled out his reasoning for cutting Simon, (which I am aware of) and then you mention that the cut was easy, which Ballard specifically said was a very hard decision for him. Odd.

I understand this is a developmental season. I get it. I freaking get it. But I don't have to like it for Luck's sake. It's another year where he will not be given a shot to win it all do to the roster. (Grigson's fault, before the Ballardites take this the wrong way).

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

seriously? i would trade ours for any others in the south and its not really close 

You're entitled to that opinion. But I'd definitely take Mack/Wilkins over Miller/Blue, & Henry/Lewis. The only thing the Colts lack is a power runner, but we had that for 3 seasons in Frank Gore, & it got us nowhere, so I don't see that as a flaw.

Just now, Steamboat_Shaun said:

You're entitled to that opinion. But I'd definitely take Mack/Wilkins over Miller/Blue, & Henry/Lewis. The only thing the Colts lack is a power runner, but we had that for 3 seasons in Frank Gore, & it got us nowhere, so I don't see that as a flaw.

i think the titans are clearly better with henry and lewis, id trade all of ours for them

the texans may not be great with foreman injured, but we have injuries and suspensions too.  he should be back soon, and when he is i dont see how we are better 

the only team in the league i see as worse right now is the 49ers after their starter went down.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

pff anyone? https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-nfl-rb-rankings-for-2018

and no im not just going by that and they are not the only ones saying it

i like mack but we are really lacking in consistency 

How can you say we're lacking in consistency when we haven't even played a game yet? You're predicating all of this on what we saw in the preseason, & everyone knows Reich purposely kept things very basic in all of those games.

25 minutes ago, DougDew said:

If true, why is this a smart strategy?  Going into an offseason where you sort of corner yourself into spending a lot of money.  That seems to be ripe for buying free agents because you have to, and over paying in the process.

Come on Doug get with the program.
Maybe, after this season of player development, he may want to extend some contracts in 2019, sign his own impending free agents that his staff believes are good fits.
 Like Castonzo, Kelly, Sheard, Ebron, Doyle, Geathers, Ridgeway, and a couple others that many here enjoy dismissing. That could take a few bucks, ya think?

6 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

pff anyone? https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-nfl-rb-rankings-for-2018

and no im not just going by that and they are not the only ones saying it

i like mack but we are really lacking in consistency 

"The Colts are at No. 32 more because we have no clue what to expect when their three-deep at the position has touched the ball a grand total of 118 times in the NFL, and not because there is no hope."

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

"The Colts are at No. 32 more because we have no clue what to expect when their three-deep at the position has touched the ball a grand total of 118 times in the NFL, and not because there is no hope."

yes im projecting, but how is that any different than what you are doing?  

someone like frank or AP could give us that consistency im talking about.  i dont know why you are bringing up our previous records with frank, he looked like one of our best players during those bad years and i dont think we adequately replaced him with hines and wilkins 

3 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

someone like frank or AP could give us that consistency im talking about.  i dont know why you are bringing up our previous records with frank, he looked like one of our best players during those bad years and i dont think we adequately replaced him with hines and wilkins 

The main difference is I'm not suggesting that our RBs couldn't be better, nor am I suggesting that we have the best RB group in football, I'm not saying anything close to that. But you're saying, in a very matter-of-fact tone, that we undoubtedly have the worst group in the league, by far, which to me seems to be a bit hyperbolic.

10 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

Come on Doug get with the program.
Maybe, after this season of player development, he may want to extend some contracts in 2019, sign his own impending free agents that his staff believes are good fits.
 Like Castonzo, Kelly, Sheard, Ebron, Doyle, Geathers, Ridgeway, and a couple others that many here enjoy dismissing. That could take a few bucks, ya think?

Sure.  I don't know how much money that will be.  I assume the draftees and recently signed players will have play up closer to the ends of their contracts before they are extended.   I don't see any franchise type tags in that group coming next year.

6 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

The main difference is I'm not suggesting that our RBs couldn't be better, nor am I suggesting that we have the best RB group in football, I'm not saying anything close to that. But you're saying, in a very matter-of-fact tone, that we undoubtedly have the worst group in the league, by far, which to me seems to be a bit hyperbolic.

it just comes off that way in text, nothing is matter of fact when making season predictions 

my original point, on topic is frank or ap would have been upgrades and both are on very modest one year deals.  i could see peterson choosing the skins over us for the same money, but its not like we couldnt offer a little more 

22 minutes ago, Flash7 said:

You start by mentioning Ballard spelled out his reasoning for cutting Simon, (which I am aware of) and then you mention that the cut was easy, which Ballard specifically said was a very hard decision for him. Odd.

I understand this is a developmental season. I get it. I freaking get it. But I don't have to like it for Luck's sake. It's another year where he will not be given a shot to win it all do to the roster. (Grigson's fault, before the Ballardites take this the wrong way).

Good grief, of course he said that to Simon's face and to the public, it is required PR.

Then he fired him. Odd indeed. chuckle
And you can bet Ballard was bummed when Simon tweaked the same neck injury.
Try selling that to potential trade partners that actually could use him in THEIR system.

Odd that people here make it all about one player when it takes so many really good players to actually compete for the SB. 
lmao that Manning had 3 touchdowns and 7 interceptions in HIS Colts SB playoff run.

(Rex Grossman).

19 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

aaron, Hines isn't a RB. He may get a few carries out of necessity but the guy is built for movement, receiving, a gadget player. If he can't develop into that guy, Reich and Ballard will go looking for the next one for Reich's system.
 I agree Frank is still running good, and boy oh boy i have no faith in Mack's pass blocking. Prayers.
 This is gonna be a tough year running it and RB pass blocking. Hopefully better as the unit develops.
 The draft or FA in 2019 for a quality RB.

3 hours ago, CR91 said:

I said it before and Ill say it again. Ballard is smart for not using the cap in this year's FA. It was imo the weakest FA ive seen in many years. When a G highlights the best Free agent, that just tells me there wasn't a whole lot of good talent hitting the market.

Yeah,  Why would we want Norwell and Nelson together on our OL.   How dumb is that?

9 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Yeah,  Why would we want Norwell and Nelson together on our OL.   How dumb is that?

A) Colts, among several other teams, were in the running for Norwell, he chose Jacksonville, end of story.

B) Braden Smith was 2X First Team All SEC guard, & he's 10s of millions of dollars cheaper than Norwell. Once he takes over the role of starting RG (will happen at some point this season) we'll be set at the guard position for the foreseeable future, & didn't need to break the bank to achieve it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Flash7 said:

Yeah I can see where you’re coming from. On the flip side of the coin, if Ballard develops this team the right way by giving guys playing time, maybe, just maybe, we have dynasty in the making. Building a dynasty takes loads of patience. But if done right Andrew could win multiple Super Bowls and you can have all the Andrew Luck of your hearts desire. The colts will compete for the super bowl for the next 5-7+ years. I’m not worried. I’m okay with the slow developmental seasons right now for the greater good of building a dynasty. 

I want my team to be considered one of the greatest teams ever. And I can’t say that when there are teams like the Steelers, 49ers, and patriots sitting at the top. 

Are you an Andrew Luck fan first? And then Colts? (Just curious) 

I watched the colts with Peyton, and I’m watching it with Andrew and I will continue to watch them for the rest of my life. So my viewpoint is team first. Because that’s how you win football games. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, NannyMcafee said:

Yeah I can see where you’re coming from. On the flip side of the coin, if Ballard develops this team the right way by giving guys playing time, maybe, just maybe, we have dynasty in the making. Building a dynasty takes loads of patience. But if done right Andrew could win multiple Super Bowls and you can have all the Andrew Luck of your hearts desire. The colts will compete for the super bowl for the next 5-7+ years. I’m not worried. I’m okay with the slow developmental seasons right now for the greater good of building a dynasty. 

I want my team to be considered one of the greatest teams ever. And I can’t say that when there are teams like the Steelers, 49ers, and patriots sitting at the top. 

Are you an Andrew Luck fan first? And then Colts? (Just curious) 

I watched the colts with Peyton, and I’m watching it with Andrew and I will continue to watch them for the rest of my life. So my viewpoint is team first. Because that’s how you win football games. 

Great post.

I am a Colts fan who also happened to work at Stanford during the Luck years. So from my perspective, things worked out beyond belief. My favorite team drafted my favorite college player.

I too want Luck to be surrounded by a talented team (IMO we have missed the spot too often). There will be growing pains, which I understand. It's like having surgery. You have surgery today in order to have a better tomorrow.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Hyperbolic?

Well...    If we’re not the worst, we're pretty close to...

To paraphrase Bum Phillips...   if we’re not first in our class, it sure don’t take long to call roll...

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Hyperbolic?

Well...    If we’re not the worst, we're pretty close to...

To paraphrase Bum Phillips...   if we’re not first in our class, it sure don’t take long to call roll...

I'm more of a wait & see kind of guy, in other words, just because we don't really know yet what we have in our RB group, I'm not going to just default to calling them the worst in the league. If that's how someone else wants to approach it, so be it, but I think it's a little rash to go that far.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

I'm more of a wait & see kind of guy, in other words, just because we don't really know yet what we have in our RB group, I'm not going to just default to calling them the worst in the league. If that's how someone else wants to approach it, so be it, but I think it's a little rash to go that far.

I dont rule oy that by the end of the season the Colts RB group could be ranked much higher.   I’m only talking about right now — today.

I don’t think it matters whether our group is ranked 32, 30, or even 28.   By any objective measure,  it’s just not that great as of now.

1 hour ago, CR91 said:

are you serious? The colts did make a bid for him and they lost. Wasn't like they didn't want him

OMG  Seriously?  Your post stated Ballard was smart not to use his cap space on a weak FA market when a guard was the highlight of FA.   Hello!  He did try to sign Norwell so I guess he thought he was worth pursuing after all and he would have gladly used his cap space to get him. Doesn't matter if he signed him or not.   He tried and he was very smart to try in that very weak FA market. 

3 hours ago, richard pallo said:

OMG  Seriously?  Your post stated Ballard was smart not to use his cap space on a weak FA market when a guard was the highlight of FA.   Hello!  He did try to sign Norwell so I guess he thought he was worth pursuing after all and he would have gladly used his cap space to get him. Doesn't matter if he signed him or not.   He tried and he was very smart to try in that very weak FA market. 

no my point was he didnt overspend on a weak FA class

On 9/6/2018 at 12:35 PM, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Out of curiosity I took a look at our projected salary cap for next offseason, & wow, the Colts have A LOT of money to play with...

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cap/2019/

And the list of free agents next season looks nice as well.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/

wait is that 122 million in cap space. If so that is insane

• Like 1

17 hours ago, aaron11 said:

it just comes off that way in text, nothing is matter of fact when making season predictions 

my original point, on topic is frank or ap would have been upgrades and both are on very modest one year deals.  i could see peterson choosing the skins over us for the same money, but its not like we couldnt offer a little more 

If you feel that way might as well sign jamaal charles. He still out there

2 hours ago, Stephen said:

If you feel that way might as well sign jamaal charles. He still out there

i have not followed him as closely as Frank or AP, but he could be worth a look if healthy.   would probably take an injury to mack for us to consider him now

This spring, Ballard will probably have to spend money in free agency.  He apparently tried to get a veteran starting G last spring, and wound up filling the need(s) with Slauson for security, then Nelson for quality.  And then also drafted Smith pretty high.

I assume he's going to be looking at positions of need.  Pass rusher, WR, CB, RT.  He doesn't seem like a GM who will spend expensive resources on a RB.

It doesn't matter if its a strong free agency class overall, or a weak one.  It only matters if its strong in the areas you need.  He's not going to cut off his own nose by spending big money to find guys to compete with high draft picks, like ILBs or Gs, so whatever quality is there tends not to matter a lot.

5 minutes ago, DougDew said:

This spring, Ballard will probably have to spend money in free agency.  He apparently tried to get a veteran starting G last spring, and wound up filling the need(s) with Slauson for security, then Nelson for quality.  And then also drafted Smith pretty high.

I assume he's going to be looking at positions of need.  Pass rusher, WR, CB, RT.  He doesn't seem like a GM who will spend expensive resources on a RB.

It doesn't matter if its a strong free agency class overall, or a weak one.  It only matters if its strong in the areas you need.  He's not going to cut off his own nose by spending big money to find guys to compete with high draft picks, like ILBs or Gs, so whatever quality is there tends not to matter a lot.

Ballard is smart, he knows once the players who are Free Agents see that Luck is healthy and we are improving that some of those players will want to come here if the money is close compared to other teams. A 4-12 team isn't too appealing without Luck but a team with Luck healthy and possibly 9-7 is.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, CR91 said:

no my point was he didnt overspend on a weak FA class

I guess I dont understand Hankins, Simon and Frank Gore...

I am not sure those were smart decisions...and they would not have handcuffed us financially in any way..

Being young now doesn't guarantee being good in the future at the same positions

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, DougDew said:

He doesn't seem like a GM who will spend expensive resources on a RB.

they dont cost that much, frank and ap are on 1 year deals with low cap hits.  Charles would probably get something similar if he signs

i wouldnt want us to pay bell what hes looking for, though he seems interested in us and our money.  

I like Frank Gore

But........ A rb, in this new offense must be able to catch the ball as well as run the ball

Frank Gore DID lose a step, and he wasnt a great pass catcher out of the backfield

The biggest question I had was the handling of Simon.........

WHY NOT, let him TRY SSLB??

In regards to Hankins.........  he HAS been a FA for awhile....... Not a single team took a swipe........  There is a point there someplace

I’d mostly be looking at that list for a RT. Gostowski is an option if Vinny retires too. Ballard will lean heavily on the draft again. There aren’t that many more dire positions he needs to draft for though. OL is solidified from LT to RG, although we could use and understudy for Castonzo. If Geathers stay healthy, he and Hooker are a deadly duo at safety. CB is a poor group but none of the FAs on that list really intrigue me. LB has Leonard and some unknowns so we’ll see. We have 3 young RBs. Everything else we need would be better served coming from the draft (DT, CB, DE if necessary, etc...)