Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts projected salary cap 2019

Steamboat_Shaun

11 minutes ago, IinD said:

Cash money yo.

In all seriousness, this could have been the plan all along. I hate that nyj have all that cash. Some will go to NY instead on Indy because of location.

Let's hope Ballard works some magic.

It was definitely the plan all along, NFL GMs don't end up with over $100mil of cap space in his 3rd offseason on accident. That's enough money to win pretty much any bidding war that they may get into over a player, & one easy sell could be that the Indy local media is a petting zoo compared to NYC media, not to mention WAY cheaper cost of living. 

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

It was definitely the plan all along, NFL GMs don't end up with over $100mil of cap space in his 3rd offseason on accident. That's enough money to win pretty much any bidding war that they may get into over a player, & one easy sell could be that the Indy local media is a petting zoo compared to NYC media, not to mention WAY cheaper cost of living. 

Not seeing too many obvious players on that list that are fits, and seemingly Ballard's "type"  of target......  any suggestions?  I thought maybe a Shane Ray?

IMHO

How much money we spend next offseason, for FA is entirely driven by how we do in 2018

If we end up with a 3-13 season, we will have another year of great draft picks........

TOO far away to go crazy on FAs

If we go 8-8, I can actually see us getting 1 or 2 FAs to fill a hole, we sign our own

if we go 13-3 (not gonna happen)........  we sign our own

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Out of curiosity I took a look at our projected salary cap for next offseason, & wow, the Colts have A LOT of money to play with...

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cap/2019/

And the list of free agents next season looks nice as well.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/

yep... been saying it all offseason.  Plus, I do believe that next year is year 3 in the cycle in which they have to use 90% of the cap combined over those 3 years, so we'll have to spend money next year for sure.

• Like 1

I really hope Ballard goes hard after RB Tevin Coleman in free agency. Wouldn’t cost a ton, and could flourish as the starter with Mack, Wilkins, and Hines getting some reps also. 

Another guy I like is RT Daryl Williams from Carolina. We need to finally solve the RT position and Williams could do that. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

There are a lot of decent trench guys that'll be up for FA, & Le'Veon Bell.

There are a good amount of guys that I can see us going after if available. I just highly doubt Bell is wearing the shoe next year. Honestly I hope we do not sign him. That is a lot of money for a running back (assuming he still wants a lot).

Just now, DaColts85 said:

There are a good amount of guys that I can see us going after if available. I just highly doubt Bell is wearing the shoe next year. Honestly I hope we do not sign him. That is a lot of money for a running back (assuming he still wants a lot).

I'm kind of indifferent. But being one of the bigger names available, & the fact that there are several threads on this forum about trading for him, I figured I'd point him out.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DaColts85 said:

Yeah Tevin Coleman is a more likely target at RB over Bell by Ballard. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

I'm kind of indifferent. But being one of the bigger names available, & the fact that there are several threads on this forum about trading for him, I figured I'd point him out.

I can understand that haha.

1 minute ago, BProland85 said:

Yeah Tevin Coleman is a more likely target at RB over Bell by Ballard. 

Yea I agree. I would like to have Daryl as you pointed out as well. Resign AC and be good with both T spots.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Out of curiosity I took a look at our projected salary cap for next offseason, & wow, the Colts have A LOT of money to play with...

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cap/2019/

And the list of free agents next season looks nice as well.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/

Why is Jacksonville so in the gutter? -8.8 mil? I mean, I’m not complaining, lol. Just curious how you could do that as a gm

Also, with contract extensions, would that number lower? I’m not sure who will be a FA after this year for the Colts. 

4 hours ago, csmopar said:

yep... been saying it all offseason.  Plus, I do believe that next year is year 3 in the cycle in which they have to use 90% of the cap combined over those 3 years, so we'll have to spend money next year for sure.

The rule is not related to the cap, but actual cash spending. They can spend cash and still keep a lot of cap space (for example if a team signs a player for 5 years 60 mill with 30 mills signing bonus, the entire 30 mills signing will count against the 90% rule.)

3 hours ago, Shafty1313 said:

Huge year for DL in the draft too though, so doubt Ballard will pay premiums for positions he can draft early..... think Andrew Norwell/Quenton Nelson this year......

Yeah I would like to see getting an impact DL player early in the 2019 draft, and addressing RT, WR, RB, LB, and CB in free agency. 

5 hours ago, ColtsBlitz said:

Why is Jacksonville so in the gutter? -8.8 mil? I mean, I’m not complaining, lol. Just curious how you could do that as a gm

Also, with contract extensions, would that number lower? I’m not sure who will be a FA after this year for the Colts. 

Jags are ALL in on winning now, plain & simple.

As for the Colts, it’s looking like in Ballard’s 3rd offseason, they’re gonna have the most cap space, & the youngest roster in the NFL. At this point I’m pretty convinced that we’re in good hands.

19 hours ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

They'll be required to spend 90% of their cap money next year. A+ for trolling effort though.

thanks for the A, but i wasnt trolling

plenty of guys we could have gone after that wouldnt even hurt the cap beyond this year, so i will complain about that 

I said it before and Ill say it again. Ballard is smart for not using the cap in this year's FA. It was imo the weakest FA ive seen in many years. When a G highlights the best Free agent, that just tells me there wasn't a whole lot of good talent hitting the market.

6 minutes ago, CR91 said:

I said it before and Ill say it again. Ballard is smart for not using the cap in this year's FA. It was imo the weakest FA ive seen in many years. When a G highlights the best Free agent, that just tells me there wasn't a whole lot of good talent hitting the market.

This is a great point.

32 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

frank, AP, and simon to name three without looking anything up 

We already tried the Frank Gore experiment. The results: 8-8, 8-8, 4-12.

Adrian Peterson?

John Simon was here last year, he played 9 games, & our defense was ranked 30th. What am I missing with this guy, why is their such a love affair?

9 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Adrian Peterson?

John Simon was here last year, he played 9 games, & our defense was ranked 30th. What am I missing with this guy, why is their such a love affair?

we have the worst running back group in the league, and frank or yes AP would be an upgrade over what we have now.  both are on cheap one year deals that would not even affect next year

i wonder where our D will be ranked this year, 32? 

5 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

somebody has to be last, i think its us

who do you think mack and company are better than?

Who are they to be compared to when they've barely even played any football? Let them play and maybe we can talk about that later on in the season.  And honestly that's on both sides of the football. Everything is pretty new, the schemes and the young players.

48 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Adrian Peterson?

My thoughts on John Simon:

1. He is probably an average player, but he hustles his tail off. As a fan, I see it and I appreciate it. I do not think that he's anything more though. (But I do think he was better than Basham and Turay at the moment) and would have given us a better chance of winning. So I do not think we improved the roster for 2018 by cutting him. Perhaps for 2019 and beyond, but that's hoping players develop. Sometimes, as with T.J. Green, you can have all the talent in the world....

2. He was given an opportunity to show that he can transition from the 3-4 to the 4-3. Most fans and most "journalist" that followed the Colts actually thought he transitioned well, thus the surprise when he was cut.

3. Simon was cut to allow for more playing time for Basham and Turay. From what we have seen, Simon was more deserving of that playing time. But it was a tough decision for Ballard and for the most part, understand it, but it gives the impression that 2018 is a throw-away year, which as a fan, especially of Andrew Luck, I don't like.

22 hours ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

They'll be required to spend 90% of their cap money next year. A+ for trolling effort though.

If true, why is this a smart strategy?  Going into an offseason where you sort of corner yourself into spending a lot of money.  That seems to be ripe for buying free agents because you have to, and over paying in the process.

• Thanks 1