Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Biggest surprise of roster cuts

CR91

3 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

The Trading of a TE

I was surprised about Daniels getting traded too...especially since Travis is banged up. But the end result of that trade is what surprised me: it caused Fountain to be cut, and I thought he'd made the team with his performance Thurs. night. 

6 minutes ago, CR91 said:

I know you're joking, but you can't replace the :goat:

Actually, I know it’s funny but I’m not joking.

We are a young team and not competing for anything until 2020 (according to so many on the Mack was traded to Chicago thread).

Vinny’s not going to be a part of that. It’s likely this year is his last. Might as well find the next Colts kicker and I thought Badgly was a great candidate.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Gotta be Simon.  Its great to want to get the younger kids to play but we also have to win some games.  Should have cut him in the spring like everyone expected.

Fountain will go to the PS, so all is well there.

The Oline moves are not surprising.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Flash7 said:

Actually, I know it’s funny but I’m not joking.

We are a young team and not competing for anything until 2020 (according to so many on the Mack was traded to Chicago thread).

Vinny’s not going to be a part of that. It’s likely this year is his last. Might as well find the next Colts kickerandi thought Badgly was a great candidate.

So you think we should let AV go set the all time scoring record for some other team???  :headspin:That’s madness. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Hoose said:

I was surprised about Daniels getting traded too...especially since Travis is banged up. But the end result of that trade is what surprised me: it caused Fountain to be cut, and I thought he'd made the team with his performance Thurs. night. 

If you believe Daniels was good, then this just shows how badly we need WRs.

I’m slightly surprised that we let Simon go, as well as Fountain but I’m guessing they are gambling that Fountain gets to the PS with other teams vets getting dropped. I’m probably most shocked that we kept Hunt over all the other DE/DL we let go. I’d say he is the low guy on the drop pole. I’d hate to be one of those fringe guys right now because they may change teams 3-4 times before the season is over. 

2 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

So you think we should let AV go set the all time scoring record for some other team???  :headspin:That’s madness. 

What does a kicker’s scoring record really mean to a team? In the grand scheme of things, not much.

Having a good kicker for years to come is more important than allowing AV to set a record. Especially when you know he’s going to retire sooner rather than later.

31 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Simon getting cut?

Clark, Milton, and Glowinski making the team?

Keeping Hunt over Mccain simon and Roaches?

McCain was put on IR.  Simon is easily the biggest surprise of the cuts.  Out of no where.  Especially when he was one of the only starters that was doing positive things and getting noticed on the D-line.

Fountain may not make waivers...i hope he does...but probably won't. 

Ross Travis being put on IR, and dealing Daniels to Seattle, puts Swoope as 3rd TE.  (I thought he was looking better than most people on here was saying)

I am SOOO glad Vuj got let go.

Walker looked really good in preseason.  top 10 back-ups i thought.  So i'd be surprised if he make waivers again this year.

Clark saved his job in the game vrs the Bengals.  (i wish he hadn't...lol)

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Flash7 said:

What does a kicker’s scoring record really mean to a team? In the grand scheme of things, not much.

Having a good kicker for years to come is more important than allowing AV to set a record. Especially when you know he’s going to retire sooner rather than later.

The kicker they let go isn't as good as vinny right now.   No reason to change.   If the kid was amazing,   maybe

1 hour ago, CR91 said:

I know you're joking, but you can't replace the :goat:

Well I was watching a certain player on the Carmel Freshman Football team earlier when they was playing Center Grove (my boys' school). He had a couple touchbacks from kickoffs. Maybe this kid will get to play one day in the NFL with his dad. 

18 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

The kicker they let go isn't as good as vinny right now.   No reason to change.   If the kid was amazing,   maybe

If the Kicker isn’t worthy of being the Colts kicker of the future, that’s fine, if that’s the case.

We have to look at the future of this position. No one expects AV to play for another few years; it’s likely this is his final year. At that point, we will have to find his replacement.

My take is that Badgley has had a great preseason, (including all practice sessions where it’s been reported he was solid). I would hate to give up on a good kicker for one more year of AV. And of course, I like AV. I have nothing against him.

Overall, it’s not a big deal.

I'm surprised and not happy that we released Simon. Even if Ballard thought Simon wasn't going to fit the defensive scheme or last the entire 16 games, he could've still let him play a few games and trade him. He was clearly effective in this scheme and could be productive somewhere else, our defense needs playmakers in the worst of ways.

All I can do is shake my head and hope Ballard knows what he is doing.

1 hour ago, colt18 said:

I'm surprised and not happy that we released Simon. Even if Ballard thought Simon wasn't going to fit the defensive scheme or last the entire 16 games, he could've still let him play a few games and trade him. He was clearly effective in this scheme and could be productive somewhere else, our defense needs playmakers in the worst of ways.

All I can do is shake my head and hope Ballard knows what he is doing.

Reports where he tried to trade him and could find no takers and his contract would have become guaranteed tomorrow.