Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Corey Coleman

Here's an excerpt fro NFL.com

"Coleman played in 57 offensive snaps over three preseason games in Buffalo, per Next Gen Stats, and caught just one of six targets for a total of seven yards.

Even with the restricted time caveat, that Coleman couldn't make a team that owns a glaring need at receiver speaks volumes. With Coleman set to make $1.5 million in 2018, the Bills weren't even willing to carry the 24-year-old on the roster long enough to see if more practice time would help overcome some of the on-field issues.

According to Spotrac, the Bills will actually lose salary-cap space by cutting Coleman. The staff believed so little in the receiver's ability to improve that the team took a loss instead of trying to make it work."

• Thanks 1

I think he is definitely worth a look.   Cleveland thought he was worth a 1st round pick.   The Bills thought he was worth trading a 7th round pick for him.   Not the best 2 teams to trust, but before the 2016 draft, he was looked at pretty favorably.

Analysis

Strengths

Instant blur off the snap. Feet turn over at a blinding pace and he devours cushion before cornerbacks know what hit them. Able to get over the top of every corner he faced and demands safety help over the top. Works back to the ball. Explosive leaper with ability to climb ladder and win the 50/50 ball and body control to secure the acrobatic catch. Touchdown maker finishing 2015 with 20 receiving touchdowns. Smooth, speedy stems to the post will be difficult to mirror and match for NFL cornerbacks. Easy route adjustments in space. Defenders who try to jam and miss pay the iron price (touchdowns). Able to make tacklers miss in tight spaces. Has experience as ball carrier and punt returner. Heavily targeted (39 percent) in Baylor's high­-flying attack.

Weaknesses

Does his best work from outside the numbers, but lacks desired NFL size to play outside. Allows cornerbacks to leverage him against the sideline on deep throws. Takes longer than expected to gear down for comeback routes after hitting top speed. Ran limited number of simple routes. Hands are a concern. Fails to catch away from his body. Dropped 10 passes for a drop rate of 11.9 percent. Loses focus and concentration on routes that work towards the middle of the field or when he senses defenders are closing in. Had sports hernia surgery that forced him to miss his bowl game.

Draft Projection

Rounds 1 or 2

Sources Tell Us

"He's my top receiver. Now this is for what we do so he's going to be tops for me. He can do a lot of things and I'm not worried about those simple routes because he's got some gifts to work with. Like him a lot more than (Laquon) Treadwell or the Notre Dame guy (Will Fuller)" -- AFC wide receivers coach

NFL Comparison

John Brown

Bottom Line

Dangerous vertical talent with the ability to get over the top of defenders who fail to recognize his blazing quickness off the line of scrimmage. Coleman can get instant separation to create favorable passing windows and is one of the top playmakers in this draft. Coleman's issues with drops near the middle of the field could be a concern if teams see him next as a slot receiver due to his lack of size. Regardless, he can line up outside and win and he offers immediate punt return help.

COMBINE RESULTS

Height: 5'10 ⅝"

Weight: 194 lbs.

40 Time: 4.37s

3-Cone: N/A

Short Shuttle: N/A

PRO COMPARISON: Steve Smith, Baltimore Ravens
FINAL GRADE: 7.00/9.00 (Round 1—Rookie Starter)

11 minutes ago, Myles said:

Analysis

Strengths

Instant blur off the snap. Feet turn over at a blinding pace and he devours cushion before cornerbacks know what hit them. Able to get over the top of every corner he faced and demands safety help over the top. Works back to the ball. Explosive leaper with ability to climb ladder and win the 50/50 ball and body control to secure the acrobatic catch. Touchdown maker finishing 2015 with 20 receiving touchdowns. Smooth, speedy stems to the post will be difficult to mirror and match for NFL cornerbacks. Easy route adjustments in space. Defenders who try to jam and miss pay the iron price (touchdowns). Able to make tacklers miss in tight spaces. Has experience as ball carrier and punt returner. Heavily targeted (39 percent) in Baylor's high­-flying attack.

Weaknesses

Does his best work from outside the numbers, but lacks desired NFL size to play outside. Allows cornerbacks to leverage him against the sideline on deep throws. Takes longer than expected to gear down for comeback routes after hitting top speed. Ran limited number of simple routes. Hands are a concern. Fails to catch away from his body. Dropped 10 passes for a drop rate of 11.9 percent. Loses focus and concentration on routes that work towards the middle of the field or when he senses defenders are closing in. Had sports hernia surgery that forced him to miss his bowl game.

Hmm...an inability to run intricate routes to go along with the drops tells me he won’t succeed in this offense that Reich is trying to establish 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Boiler_Colt said:

I love this forum. Player X stinks on two other teams but surely we can turn him around. lol

Probably because those teams were the Browns and the Bills.   Not really teams you like to use as a benchmark.   I just think he will be 1 of several WR's that we should look at.  

20 minutes ago, Luck 4 president said:

Remember last year when the browns almost won a game? Then Coleman dropped a wide open TD late in the 4th. He’s trash. There’s a reason the Browns only received a 2020 7th round pick for him.

I believe that was against the Steelers, and it was embarrassing. They still got something from the Bills though, as he got released lol.

1 hour ago, Boiler_Colt said:

I love this forum. Player X stinks on two other teams but surely we can turn him around. lol

Im sorry I can’t give this post more than one like.    I’d give it 1,000?if I could!

Its still early but I’m confident this will be my favorite post if the day!   Well done!

:colts:

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Myles said:

Probably because those teams were the Browns and the Bills.   Not really teams you like to use as a benchmark.   I just think he will be 1 of several WR's that we should look at.  

Say what you want about the Browns but outside of QB, TE, Safety, and K, their roster is way better than ours

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Luck 4 president said:

Remember last year when the browns almost won a game? Then Coleman dropped a wide open TD late in the 4th. He’s trash. There’s a reason the Browns only received a 2020 7th round pick for him.

Oh yeah, that's where I remember the name from...No thanks, we shouldn't take him.

• 2 weeks later...