Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

CFB: Following 2019 Draft Prospects

On 10/19/2018 at 8:19 AM, stitches said:

Watched Stanford vs Arizona State(I swear I'm not intentionally trying to watch Stanford games)

In case you've missed it - I still love Arcega-Whiteside. He might not have the explosive athleticism that N'Keal Harry from Arizona state has, but I do prefer him to Harry. Harry was somewhat disappointing to watch. I'm not sure if it was the way he was used(a lot of weird screens, sweeps, short slants, etc. or because of Harry. That young sophomore corner, no. 11 for Stanford is something else. Pretty much erased a potential 1st round WR in Harry from the game for 3 quarters of the game. WOW. I know he's not eligible but I have to find his name - Paulson Adebo. He looked awesome and had an interception and several PBs against Harry and he once did it on a jump ball where Harry was supposed to be at his best. 

Harry finished the game with 90 yards on 8 receptions but most of those yards were when Stanford switched to prevent defense at the end of the game and Adebo just gave him a ton of cushion on one play and he made a great sliding catch on intermediate post route on 3d and long and on the second big catch Adebo showed his inexperience when he tried to undercut a route and end the game right there in the final 2 minutes but misjudged the throw and it went over his head for about 25 yards gained by Harry. What was impressive was that even though he failed on the undercut he still had the balance and speed to immediately change direction and chase down Harry and only give him 25 yards gain, when in most cases this one goes for a much bigger gain, if not a TD. I am interested to see how he develops next year. 

Arcega Whiteside had a drop (something rare for him) but had another solid game with 90 yards and a TD, he also drew defensive pass interference calls on at least ...2-3 more occasions for what could have been 60-70 more yards. I really wish they'd use him more. He has great technique not only on jumpballs in the redzone but also when stacking defensive backs when he gets a step on them on post routes. If he gets the position you are not getting back into the play as a DB, he's just too big and too crafty... and has some speed. I wonder what he runs at the combine. I don't think he will be a burner, but to me he looks like he could be a 4.5 40 athlete, which would be pretty good for a 6'3" 230 receiver. 

@NewColtsFan Any info on Adebo? Or other thoughts on the game? 

I am SOOOOO sorry.   Been meaning to respond to this and life keeps getting in the way.

Our DB coach is the highly respected Duane Akina.   He made his name being the DB coach at Texas during the best of the Mack Brown years when Texas was turning out top DB's most every year.     Reportedly,  Akina is telling Stanford people that Adebo might be as good as any DB he's ever coached. 

Of course,  that has most Stanford people really frustrated.    We red-shirted Adebo last year.   He's mostly playing great this year.     That means,  we'll have him for one more year and he'll turn pro in 2020.     Stanford will only get two years of on the field performance from a top player.     That makes Stanford people loose their minds!

Oh,  and here's a bad note....    no update yet....   but JJAW hurt a knee Saturday night.   It does not look good.     If there's a possible upside,  maybe he slips in the draft if he might miss most if not all of 2019?      Maybe we get him a round or two later?      Possible...      just food for thought.

Will update when I can....

Again,  sorry for the delay respondig to you.      My bad.

• Thanks 1

I'd like to add a QB to our watch list.

Not one that will likely be drafted in the first two rounds.     Not even sure he gets picked in R3?

He's likely to go on Day 3,  perhaps in the 4th round.   Or perhaps even later.

He's got the unique name of Gardner Minshew.     He's ripping it up for Washington State.    He set all sorts of state records in Alabama in H.S.     Then, accepted a scholie to Alabama.    Yes,  THAT Alabama.    But I think quickly realized he'd never play. 

So, he went off to East Carolina where he did well.    After a year or two there, he went to a JC where he also did well.      Then, shows up at WSU.  

If I could compare him to anyone, I'd say a very, VERY poor man's Baker Mayfield.     Listed at 6'2", he's said to be closer to 6'1".    He's completing about 70 percent of his passes.    I know WSU's offense is very QB friendly,  and it doesn't always translate to the NFL.     

But he strikes me as a kid who just seems to have.....    it.     Whatever it is,  he's got it.   He's a gamer.   He's got moxie.    He doesn't have a huge arm.    He's not all that big.     He just outplays better teams and wins more than he should.    

If we trade Brissett, I'm looking for a back-up.    That will likely come in Free Agency, and I have my eyes open there.     But from College,  Minshew has got my attention.    I'm sure he'll be in some post-season all-star games.    Hope you'll keep an eye out for him!

1 hour ago, PeterBowman said:

Don't sleep on Sweat from Mississippi State.....he was making life very tough for the Alabama O line.

With the more wins we get, the more we drop in the range where drafting players like Sweat/Josh Allen/Burns/Gary become more reasonable. 

I love the defensive talent of this draft. This will be a very strong draft IMO. 

• Like 1

^this is why we need more playmakers for the offense. The lowest yards after catch in the league and we are still one of the best offenses in the league. Can you imagine what Luck can do with the newfound time his new O-line is affording him and some more help from his pass-catchers after the reception?! Hakeem Butler, here we come! 

1 hour ago, Matthew Gilbert said:

This was our guy! Too bad he's flown up every draft board in America.

Yep. He's been out of the world. Some have him as the number 1 guy on their boards. 

For me , if I were to rank the DT's in the class based on how they'd fit with the Colts , it'd be something like:

UT's:

1a. Quinnen Williams
1b. Ed Oliver
3. Jeffery Simmons
4. Rashan Gary (I think he'd be a monster 3-tech if he changed his body a little bit)
5. Jerry Tillery
6. Dre'Mont Jones
7. Christian Wilkins

NT's:

1. Derrick Brown (some might have him below Davis and Lawrence , but I like this guy)
2. Raekwon Davis
3. Dexter Lawrence

Anyone of these dudes would be a welcomed addition to our line , and with the depth of the position in the class , it's possible we could get two of them if we so choose.

• Like 2

On 11/13/2018 at 9:25 AM, stitches said:

^this is why we need more playmakers for the offense. The lowest yards after catch in the league and we are still one of the best offenses in the league. Can you imagine what Luck can do with the newfound time his new O-line is affording him and some more help from his pass-catchers after the reception?! Hakeem Butler, here we come! 

You make a good point with needing more playmakers, however, with what we currently have on offense, we’ve averaged 30 pp/game? Now imagine if we added a middle to above average defense that could get 2-3 more stops on defense and give the offense those 2-3 more possessions. How would this team look with just an average defense? Wow! 

I would hate hate to overbuild an offense to score 40/game just to watch the defense allow an opposing offense a cakewalk into the end zone each possession as well. Our defense is holding us back waaaay more than adding another playmaker on offense imho. 

On 11/13/2018 at 2:26 PM, Trueman said:

Yep. He's been out of the world. Some have him as the number 1 guy on their boards. 

For me , if I were to rank the DT's in the class based on how they'd fit with the Colts , it'd be something like:

UT's:

1a. Quinnen Williams
1b. Ed Oliver
3. Jeffery Simmons
4. Rashan Gary (I think he'd be a monster 3-tech if he changed his body a little bit)
5. Jerry Tillery
6. Dre'Mont Jones
7. Christian Wilkins

NT's:

1. Derrick Brown (some might have him below Davis and Lawrence , but I like this guy)
2. Raekwon Davis
3. Dexter Lawrence

Anyone of these dudes would be a welcomed addition to our line , and with the depth of the position in the class , it's possible we could get two of them if we so choose.

I’d go with Jeffrey Simmons in round 1, and then get Brown if we were there in the 2nd. Imagine that D-line.

42 minutes ago, Jdubu said:

You make a good point with needing more playmakers, however, with what we currently have on offense, we’ve averaged 30 pp/game? Now imagine if we added a middle to above average defense that could get 2-3 more stops on defense and give the offense those 2-3 more possessions. How would this team look with just an average defense? Wow! 

I would hate hate to overbuild an offense to score 40/game just to watch the defense allow an opposing offense a cakewalk into the end zone each possession as well. Our defense is holding us back waaaay more than adding another playmaker on offense imho. 

Oh sure, I don't think it's an either/or proposition especially for the Colts in our current position - a ton of capspace and multiple good picks. We can address both areas and in multiple ways. 

23 hours ago, stitches said:

Oh sure, I don't think it's an either/or proposition especially for the Colts in our current position - a ton of capspace and multiple good picks. We can address both areas and in multiple ways. 

Realistically the Colts only need to draft one WR this draft. It’s unlikely Ballard drafts another RB though. He’s drafted 3 over the past 3 drafts, and the staff seems to like that group.

The only picks the Colts might devote to offense are a WR who can start early and an OL for depth and development. The rest will go to defense.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Realistically the Colts only need to draft one WR this draft. It’s unlikely Ballard drafts another RB though. He’s drafted 3 over the past 3 drafts, and the staff seems to like that group.

The only picks the Colts might devote to offense are a WR who can start early and an OL for depth and development. The rest will go to defense.

I'm mostly with you on this post.    Mostly,  but not entirely.    After we trade Brissett,  we're going to have 5 picks in the first 2 days...     I'm predicting the following...

A DE or DT in the first round.

A DT or DE in the 2nd round,  whatever we don't take in the first.

A mostly developmental OL with our other 2nd round pick.   I don't think Ballard ever wants to be cut short on the OL again.

In the third round,  I have us taking a safety and a corner.   (The Brissett pick is here...)

The 4th round, I've lovingly dubbed "Toys for Andrew"...   I think we take a WR and (here's where we differ)  another RB.    Having only 3 RB's leaves no margin for error.   I think we take another. Lose even one RB for any reason,  and we'd have only two.    Not enough.    The pick replaces Turbin on the roster)    Ballard has shown he can find 4th/5th round RB's.   He does it again.

Fifth round,  here's where we take another LB hoping we find another Anthony Walker level backer.

Sixth round....   best player available.   If a developmental QB is here, like the Washington State kid, Minchew,  I'd personally grab him.    Otherwise,  I'm open to anything.

Seventh round....    again,  BPA with no preference of position.

I think my other picks will match up with the BPA philosophy as the draft unfolds.   I don't think we'd have to reach in any round to take the picks I project.

Again,  just my opinion....

• Like 1

5 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I'm mostly with you on this post.    Mostly,  but not entirely.    After we trade Brissett,  we're going to have 5 picks in the first 2 days...     I'm predicting the following...

A DE or DT in the first round.

A DT or DE in the 2nd round,  whatever we don't take in the first.

A mostly developmental OL with our other 2nd round pick.   I don't think Ballard ever wants to be cut short on the OL again.

In the third round,  I have us taking a safety and a corner.   (The Brissett pick is here...)

The 4th round, I've lovingly dubbed "Toys for Andrew"...   I think we take a WR and (here's where we differ)  another RB.    Having only 3 RB's leaves no margin for error.   I think we take another. Lose even one RB for any reason,  and we'd have only two.    Not enough.    The pick replaces Turbin on the roster)    Ballard has shown he can find 4th/5th round RB's.   He does it again.

Fifth round,  here's where we take another LB hoping we find another Anthony Walker level backer.

Sixth round....   best player available.   If a developmental QB is here, like the Washington State kid, Minchew,  I'd personally grab him.    Otherwise,  I'm open to anything.

Seventh round....    again,  BPA with no preference of position.

I think my other picks will match up with the BPA philosophy as the draft unfolds.   I don't think we'd have to reach in any round to take the picks I project.

Again,  just my opinion....

See the thing with taking a WR in the 4th is that it’s kind of late, so you’re likely getting another Daurice Fountain type of player. Someone who needs a lot of development or has limited upside. That’s why I have WR as a day 2 need. Preferably round 2. This draft is full of big outside WRs too. Guys that will go early. Most of these guys can start immediately too. Your boy JJ Arcega-Whiteside is one for example. I’d take him in the 2nd. 

As for the RBs, 4 is a little high. Even with an extra pick from a Brisset trade, the Colts need 1-2 DTs, a SS, a WR, an OL, a LB, a DE, and 1-2 corners. If they really had to take another RB, I think round 5 or later. 

I'm watching Oklahoma vs West Virginia but it's extremely hard to evaluate what you are seeing in this game because the defenses are so damn horrific. It's like they've told them they are not allowed to tackle or are obliged to take the wrong angle on every single play. 

With that said Marquise "Hollywood" Brown looks very dynamic/fast/explosive as a WR. I've been pondering something the last several weeks. I've been saying we need a big bodied receiver who can win in the air/end zone situations for years... but... the more I think about it the more I feel like horizontal separation is much more important and much harder to defend than trying to throw jump balls around the sticks or in the end zone. Sure, we can still use an Arcega-Whiteside type of receiver, but the more I think about it, the more I'm leaning towards the prospects that can separate on the ground rather than in the air. Of course, if you find one that can do both, that's ideal, but those are usually not in the range of where I hope we will be picking by the end of the season. 

Brown just looks electric. He looks almost Tyreek Hill level fast and explosive. He seems to have good hands and tracks the ball well even on hard balls over his head and shoulder and he has some run after the catch ability. I still am not sure how high he can go because he looks kind of small and small receivers of this type usually don't go very high so we might be able to get him late first or in the second? 

• Like 2

WR ANDY ISABELLA – MASSACHUSETTS (SR.)

If you thought Isabella was a small-school fluke, this past weekend’s performance might change your mind. Isabella went down to Athens and beat the brakes off a Georgia secondary loaded with NFL talent. He caught 15 of his 16 targets for 219 yards including both of his targets against highly-touted cornerback Deandre Baker. Isabella’s 4.17 yards per route is the best figure since Michael Gallup in 2016. Listed at only 5-foot-9, 186 pounds, Isabella may be limited to the slot at the next level, but that’s a role that’s only growing in importance in the modern NFL.

He isn't a one year wonder either. In 2016 he had over 800 yards, 2017 over a 1000 yards, and 2018 over 1600 yards. Wes Welker was the best slot receiver I had seen until I watched Isabella!

1812-Draft-Names-Andy-Isabella-768x432.jpg

Just curious on thoughts on Parris Cambell

If you watched my AWESOME Ohio State Buckeyes trounce the team from Michigan  (THE Ohio State)  .... Thats right....... THE

You see a great talent

I see him being available in mid  to late round 2 (or 3)

If he is there in round 3, I would have trouble passing him up

He is a guy who will probably be the fastest guy in the draft this year

I dont really WANT to spend an early draft pick on offense this year

He is built like a RB, (205 and 6'1") and would create CRAZY mismatches

CBs seem to have difficulty tackling him 

If (When :) ) we get the extra second (or 3rd) round pick for the believed, alleged, proposed, trade for Brissett  :) ........ we should take him

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

If you watched my AWESOME Ohio State Buckeyes trounce the team from Michigan  (THE Ohio State)  .... Thats right....... THE

You see a great talent

If (When :) ) we get the extra second (or 3rd) round pick for the believed, alleged, proposed, trade for Brissett  :) ........ we should take him

Reggie Wayne 2.0 with another gear...IMO 2nd pick in the 2nd round...sure

2 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

You see a great talent

From what I've seen he lines up in the slot and/or in bunches almost exclusively. They also use him on jet sweeps and screen plays... which would suggest his coaches believe he can make plays after the catch/with ball in his hands. CBs have difficulty tracking him because again - they line him up in the slot and he runs a ton of crossing routes that create natural picks and/or routes from bunched up formations close to the box where the defense simply cannot sort through the traffic fast enough for his speed and he gets open on those crossing routes and slants. This all seems like the description of what Reich loves to do a ton and we don't have a reliable receiver to do what he does as a no. 3 receiver. With that said I have no seen evidence that he can consistently beat press-man outside and I haven't seen him excel in contested catch situations... which is alright if you draft him to be your slot receiver, but not great if you want to line him up one on one outside the numbers. 

I guess what I want to say is.... he seems like someone who would fit seamlessly in what we do, but there is somewhat of a ceiling about his value because he doesn't  seem like an X receiver. He's almost exclusively slot and I'm not sure how high of a pick you want to spend on this type of player. I guess a 3d-4th rounder would be alright, but I would prefer other receivers in round 1 and 2. 

• Like 1

On 11/25/2018 at 12:19 PM, stitches said:

From what I've seen he lines up in the slot and/or in bunches almost exclusively. They also use him on jet sweeps and screen plays... which would suggest his coaches believe he can make plays after the catch/with ball in his hands. CBs have difficulty tracking him because again - they line him up in the slot and he runs a ton of crossing routes that create natural picks and/or routes from bunched up formations close to the box where the defense simply cannot sort through the traffic fast enough for his speed and he gets open on those crossing routes and slants. This all seems like the description of what Reich loves to do a ton and we don't have a reliable receiver to do what he does as a no. 3 receiver. With that said I have no seen evidence that he can consistently beat press-man outside and I haven't seen him excel in contested catch situations... which is alright if you draft him to be your slot receiver, but not great if you want to line him up one on one outside the numbers. 

I guess what I want to say is.... he seems like someone who would fit seamlessly in what we do, but there is somewhat of a ceiling about his value because he doesn't  seem like an X receiver. He's almost exclusively slot and I'm not sure how high of a pick you want to spend on this type of player. I guess a 3d-4th rounder would be alright, but I would prefer other receivers in round 1 and 2. 

I would think that his athletic ability would make him an ideal 2nd round pick for us(not the Jets pick, but wherever our own pick ends up). 

I think the coaching staff would have a lot of fun designing plays for him, but you're right, he's not a guy who would start right away on the outside in year one...and quite honestly may not until year 3. He is certainly not as polished as Michael Thomas was coming out of OSU two years ago. But I don't believe he would be there in round three when we pick. His home run threat speed and YAC ability really set him apart from what we have now. 

I guess the big question on this is "where are we picking?" A month ago, we were back in the top 5, now we're around 15....If we're picking 20 or higher, I can get behind Campbell in the second round. 

On 11/24/2018 at 5:14 AM, stitches said:

I'm watching Oklahoma vs West Virginia but it's extremely hard to evaluate what you are seeing in this game because the defenses are so damn horrific. It's like they've told them they are not allowed to tackle or are obliged to take the wrong angle on every single play. 

With that said Marquise "Hollywood" Brown looks very dynamic/fast/explosive as a WR. I've been pondering something the last several weeks. I've been saying we need a big bodied receiver who can win in the air/end zone situations for years... but... the more I think about it the more I feel like horizontal separation is much more important and much harder to defend than trying to throw jump balls around the sticks or in the end zone. Sure, we can still use an Arcega-Whiteside type of receiver, but the more I think about it, the more I'm leaning towards the prospects that can separate on the ground rather than in the air. Of course, if you find one that can do both, that's ideal, but those are usually not in the range of where I hope we will be picking by the end of the season. 

Brown just looks electric. He looks almost Tyreek Hill level fast and explosive. He seems to have good hands and tracks the ball well even on hard balls over his head and shoulder and he has some run after the catch ability. I still am not sure how high he can go because he looks kind of small and small receivers of this type usually don't go very high so we might be able to get him late first or in the second? 

What do you think about Gary Jennings of West Virginia? He is the Draft Day 2 WR that I feel would really help our squad. He has a lot of receptions, he is not just a home run threat but also separates and gets a lot of catches underneath. 

He is a very good route runner too, IMO. 

2 hours ago, chad72 said:

What do you think about Gary Jennings of West Virginia? He is the Draft Day 2 WR that I feel would really help our squad. He has a lot of receptions, he is not just a home run threat but also separates and gets a lot of catches underneath. 

He is a very good route runner too, IMO. 

He seems like he's in better shape and faster this year than he was last year and it's paying off for him. I watched some film of him last year and even though he still had 1000 yard season he looked kind of... heavy.  I want to see how he tests. His main success has been 1. on go routes blowing the top of the defense by pure speed and 2. as type of a possession receiver on short routes around the sticks where he finds soft areas of the zone and gets open this way(he's very good at that)... I still don't see much nuance or sharpness of his route running though and in this way I kind of disagree with you about his route running.

Most of his big plays are on go routes where he simply outruns the defense or takes advantage of blown coverage. I don't see him get open with sudden breaks on his routes. He seems to have very good hands though. Very good. And he tracks the ball well in the air. He has OK play strength on jump balls . They try to use him on some screen plays, but IMO that's not his strength - he relies on his strength to power through defenders on those screens and I wouldn't say he's a playmaker with the ball in his hands. He cannot really make defenders miss. He kind of still... looks unspectacular/heavy on his feet... I don't know how to explain it because he seems like he might have the straight line speed, but IMO when it comes to agility and lateral movement and cuts and breaks off routes... he's... not good. 

I like Sills MUCH BETTER. 

Overall I wouldn't draft him any earlier than about round... 4-5? But honestly... I cannot really see a scenario where there wouldn't be a receiver that I like more than him wherever we are drafting. Even in round 4-5 I bet there will be some slot receivers that I would rather have(Renfrow?)... 

(Disclaimer: I've only seen a couple of games from last year and a couple this year). 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, stitches said:

He seems like he's in better shape and faster this year than he was last year and it's paying off for him. I watched some film of him last year and even though he still had 1000 yard season he looked kind of... heavy.  I want to see how he tests. His main success has been 1. on go routes blowing the top of the defense by pure speed and 2. as type of a possession receiver on short routes around the sticks where he finds soft areas of the zone and gets open this way(he's very good at that)... I still don't see much nuance or sharpness of his route running though and in this way I kind of disagree with you about his route running.

Most of his big plays are on go routes where he simply outruns the defense or takes advantage of blown coverage. I don't see him get open with sudden breaks on his routes. He seems to have very good hands though. Very good. And he tracks the ball well in the air. He has OK play strength on jump balls . They try to use him on some screen plays, but IMO that's not his strength - he relies on his strength to power through defenders on those screens and I wouldn't say he's a playmaker with the ball in his hands. He cannot really make defenders miss. He kind of still... looks unspectacular/heavy on his feet... I don't know how to explain it because he seems like he might have the straight line speed, but IMO when it comes to agility and lateral movement and cuts and breaks off routes... he's... not good. 

I like Sills MUCH BETTER. 

Overall I wouldn't draft him any earlier than about round... 4-5? But honestly... I cannot really see a scenario where there wouldn't be a receiver that I like more than him wherever we are drafting. Even in round 4-5 I bet there will be some slot receivers that I would rather have(Renfrow?)... 

(Disclaimer: I've only seen a couple of games from last year and a couple this year). 

That was going to be my next question, so you already were ahead of me. :) 

I was just talking to a guy who is a Steelers fan and West Virginia fan at work, he mentioned Sills right away for the Colts. Can Sills play inside and outside?

19 minutes ago, chad72 said:

That was going to be my next question, so you already were ahead of me. :) 

I was just talking to a guy who is a Steelers fan and West Virginia fan at work, he mentioned Sills right away for the Colts. Can Sills play inside and outside?

Yeah, I think he has more wiggle and suddenness of movement and runs better routes, but with him I'm not certain he has the speed. I would say he can play both inside and outside, but again - need to see how he tests. 

6 minutes ago, stitches said:

Yeah, I think he has more wiggle and suddenness of movement and runs better routes, but with him I'm not certain he has the speed. I would say he can play both inside and outside, but again - need to see how he tests. 

Do Tavon Austin and Kevin White concern you about the West Virginia pedigree as to how they translate to the NFL?

I was looking at this article and it said the last 10 years, the schools that produced the most NFL WRs are LSU, Ohio State and Oklahoma:

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/23316209/college-programs-most-nfl-draft-picks-last-10-years

28 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Do Tavon Austin and Kevin White concern you about the West Virginia pedigree as to how they translate to the NFL?

I was looking at this article and it said the last 10 years, the schools that produced the most NFL WRs are LSU, Ohio State and Oklahoma:

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/23316209/college-programs-most-nfl-draft-picks-last-10-years

Overall, I am against holding failures (or success) of players of the same school(or region or division) against players of the current draft. This is the reason you miss on a Carson Wentz or on a Darius Leonard, etc. Evaluate every player on his own merits and in his own context. If something about the system of the school is making it hard to evaluate the guy - take it into account, but again - do not hold players accountable for the sins of players of the past.  

• Like 1

On 11/13/2018 at 1:26 PM, Trueman said:

UT's:

1a. Quinnen Williams
1b. Ed Oliver
3. Jeffery Simmons
5. Jerry Tillery
6. Dre'Mont Jones
7. Christian Wilkins

NT's:

2. Raekwon Davis
3. Dexter Lawrence

When we draft...... I believe now around 20.......

I am hoping that Raekwon, Dexter, or Simmons are still on the board

A NT that can actually penetrate would be as good as a UT that can penetrate

I was a huge Gary fan, but after watching him get owned by a weak OL from Ohio State, I have cooled a bit   I see bust written all over him

I was also very high on Dremont Jones early in the year......... he has somewhat dissapeared 

It wouldnt suprise me at all if we went DE at the 20 spot either

• Like 2

18 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

When we draft...... I believe now around 20.......

I am hoping that Raekwon, Dexter, or Simmons are still on the board

A NT that can actually penetrate would be as good as a UT that can penetrate

I was a huge Gary fan, but after watching him get owned by a weak OL from Ohio State, I have cooled a bit   I see bust written all over him

I was also very high on Dremont Jones early in the year......... he has somewhat dissapeared 

It wouldnt suprise me at all if we went DE at the 20 spot either

I know I shouldn’t hold a players school against him but I’m not sure how I feel about Davis because it’s another Alabama defensive lineman. I only believed in being buried on the depth charge due to deep position groups up to a certain point. Where was he at last year? Was D’Shawn Hand really that much better of a player? Same for Williams. If he’s a top 5 player, why couldn’t he beat out Daron Payne?

But another DT you should put on your list is Jerry Tillery. He’s had an amazing year and his size is remarkable. Destroyed Stanford singlehandedly. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

I know I shouldn’t hold a players school against him but I’m not sure how I feel about Davis because it’s another Alabama defensive lineman. I only believed in being buried on the depth charge due to deep position groups up to a certain point. Where was he at last year? Was D’Shawn Hand really that much better of a player? Same for Williams. If he’s a top 5 player, why couldn’t he beat out Daron Payne?

But another DT you should put on your list is Jerry Tillery. He’s had an amazing year and his size is remarkable. Destroyed Stanford singlehandedly. 

He killed it in the playoffs last year. He was probably their best defender in the playoffs. It's kind of weird that he was supplanted by Williams this year and didn't really take the next step of his development to a dominant player. I expected better year from him and instead we got it from Quinnen Williams

About Tillery - I loved him against Stanford. He wrecked that game completely and he was toying with Herbig who I later learned is pretty highly regarded as a guard prospect in this class(top 100 pick possibly). I wouldn't mind drafting Tillery.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, stitches said:

He killed it in the playoffs last year. He was probably their best defender in the playoffs. It's kind of weird that he was supplanted by Williams this year and didn't really take the next step of his development to a dominant player. I expected better year from him and instead we got it from Quinnen Williams

About Tillery - I loved him against Stanford. He wrecked that game completely and he was toying with Herbig who I later learned is pretty highly regarded as a guard prospect in this class(top 100 pick possibly). I wouldn't mind drafting Tillery.

Tillery should be available around where we will pick (late teens-early twenties). I’d take him. He’s a legit first round talent. 7.5 sacks on the season. Astounding for a DT. He’s an ideal penetrating 3-tech, but can play the run if needed.

6 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

I watched a bit of Tillery early in the year and he didnt float my boat

I will watch a bit more

Raekwon has a swim move that is very impressive

I think he will be fine

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

I'm not sure I'm getting your argument here. Hand has the highest PFF ranking for rookie D-linemen and Payne (#13 overall pick) isn't too far off of his mark. Payne was one of the best DT prospects in last years class. Maybe that's why Williams "couldn't beat him out".

6 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

I watched a bit of Tillery early in the year and he didnt float my boat

I will watch a bit more

Raekwon has a swim move that is very impressive

I think he will be fine

I liked 3-4 guys close to 20 I felt we had a shot at:

Raekwon Davis

Josh Allen

Dalton Risner

Montez Sweat

The last 2, I remember  @stitches posting this:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2019-nfl-draft-inside-the-battle-between-mississippi-states-montez-sweat-kansas-states-dalton-risner/

I'd be happy with any of these. I am sure one or two of these will be drafted lower than 20 too, most likely Josh Allen.

3 hours ago, Matthew Gilbert said:

I'm not sure I'm getting your argument here. Hand has the highest PFF ranking for rookie D-linemen and Payne (#13 overall pick) isn't too far off of his mark. Payne was one of the best DT prospects in last years class. Maybe that's why Williams "couldn't beat him out".

Remember that PFF ratings should be taken with a grain of salt. They don’t actually evaluate the player. They evaluate the snaps and just compile data. My argument is that you have two guys getting the same hype that 2 players at the exact same position got last year. Either last years guys were overhyped or this next group is. Because you could even take it back to 2017 and talk about Allen, Robinson, and Reed.