Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

CFB: Following 2019 Draft Prospects

Well, the college football season has started and we don't really have a general all purpose thread for discussing random prospects and sharing what we are seeing from the 2019 prospects so... here we go. 

Here are the first impressions I got from watching several games from Thursday and Friday:

1. Zach Moss, RB, Utah - Kyle Whittingham said this week that Moss is an "elite running back in the country" and his pupil was not going to cast a shade on his coach's statement - he had a great game showing very nice blend of quickness and breakaway speed(85 yard TD), deceptive power and ability to catch the ball - he had 150 yards and 1 TD on 16 rushing attempts and 3 catches for a 36 yards and another TD. He is definitely one to watch

2. Paddy Fisher, LB, Northwestern - I've been hearing and reading a ton about him as one of the best LBs in college football. I was quite disappointed by what I saw. He was taking poor angles, overruning his keys, missing tackle after tackle... he didn't look like he had anywhere close to elite athleticism and that's the impression I was left with when I was listening to people talk about him(they were saying he's better version of Leighton Vander Esche. Nope. At least not in this game.

3. I am watching Stanford vs San Diego State right now and this is the prospect that actually made me make this thread - I just had to throw in his name as one to follow especially for the Colts - JJ Arcega-Whiteside, WR from Stanford. I'm halfway through second quarter and he looks amazing... he's a huge receiver(6'3" 225... but he does actually look and play huge!). He's catching everything thrown at him that's remotely catchable, highpoints the ball, and even creates separation. I will need to watch more and better tape to see how his route running is, but he does end up separating. 

Who has caught your attention, be it positive or negative? 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, stitches said:

Well, the college football season has started and we don't really have a general all purpose thread for discussing random prospects and sharing what we are seeing from the 2019 prospects so... here we go. 

Here are the first impressions I got from watching several games from Thursday and Friday:

1. Zach Moss, RB, Utah - Kyle Whittingham said this week that Moss is an "elite running back in the country" and his pupil was not going to cast a shade on his coach's statement - he had a great game showing very nice blend of quickness and breakaway speed(85 yard TD), deceptive power and ability to catch the ball - he had 150 yards and 1 TD on 16 rushing attempts and 3 catches for a 36 yards and another TD. He is definitely one to watch

2. Paddy Fisher, LB, Northwestern - I've been hearing and reading a ton about him as one of the best LBs in college football. I was quite disappointed by what I saw. He was taking poor angles, overruning his keys, missing tackle after tackle... he didn't look like he had anywhere close to elite athleticism and that's the impression I was left with when I was listening to people talk about him(they were saying he's better version of Leighton Vander Esche. Nope. At least not in this game.

3. I am watching Stanford vs San Diego State right now and this is the prospect that actually made me make this thread - I just had to throw in his name as one to follow especially for the Colts - JJ Arcega-Whiteside, WR from Stanford. I'm halfway through second quarter and he looks amazing... he's a huge receiver(6'3" 225... but he does actually look and play huge!). He's catching everything thrown at him that's remotely catchable, highpoints the ball, and even creates separation. I will need to watch more and better tape to see how his route running is, but he does end up separating. 

Who has caught your attention, be it positive or negative? 

I was at the game and told my son to watch #20, Bryce Love. My son walked away from the game saying that #19 was his favorite player. Arcega-Whiteside had a heck of a game.

• Like 1

I watched Notre Dame vs Michigan and Jerry Tillery(DT, Notre Dame) seems interesting. He was very disruptive on the interior and was wreaking havoc all game long. 

For Michigan, Chase Winovich, DE looked better than Rashan Gary in this game. It's going to be interesting to see how he tests. His technique and hand usage seem pretty good, though. He wins with that right now, not sure how athletic he is. 

I also watched a bit of Alabama before the game got out of hand and Deionte Thomas(FS, Alabama) looked almost like Malik Hooker out there, very rangy, good athleticism. I liked Jonah Williams, too... very very very solid OT.  Alabama's QB looks like the real deal. 

Also... i'm just going to leave this one here:

As a big Stanford fan,  I too watched the game vs. San Diego State....

And as Stanford struggled to get its offense going in the first half,  I kept seeing one guy show up for the Aztecs.     #33,  Parker Baldwin.     He plays safety,  but it's described as something of a hybrid position.     Part safety, part corner, and part linebacker.

Baldwin is 6'2" and 215.     He looked athletic,  willing to engage,   to cross the line of scrimmage and makes plays in the backfield.     He just seemed to show up where the ball was.     I confess I was impressed.

I have Safety as a Day 3 need for us.     I have Baldwin on my radar....

If you happen to see SDSU as the year goes on,  look for #33.    He'll be where the ball is.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Matthew Gilbert said:

LSU/Miami game is about to kickoff. This one features a ton of future NFL talent. Keep and eye out for MLB Devin White and CB Greedy Williams of the LSU defense. Both are being considered top 10 level talent in the upcoming draft.

You gotta love a CB named Greedy 

• Haha 2

i'm watching Virginia Tech vs Florida state right now. Some surface impressions:

-no.94 on Virginia Tech's D, Trevon Hill, DE is one to watch. He looks to have great bend and get off. Even flashed a spin move(which looked a bit awkward but it shows he's trying different moves). Might be draftable by the end of the season (edit: he just gave up the edge for a huge run... that's why he's probably not a starter). Ricky Walker, VA Tech, DT on the interior seems disruptive too.

-Levonta Taylor(Florida State, CB) who I've seen pretty high on some pre-season cornerbacks lists looks very small and gets abused by bigger receivers. He also doesn't seem to track the ball in the air well. Virginia Tech is targeting him instead of the much less experienced corner on the other side and they are having a ton of success. He must have given up a 100 yards and a TD already and it's still Q2. 

-Brian Burns DE, Florida state - impressive spin move and closing speed in pursuit for the sack. Some people has him as a potential 1st round pick. This flash shows why. I want to see more consistent presence and pressure though. 

On 9/2/2018 at 7:43 PM, Matthew Gilbert said:

LSU/Miami game is about to kickoff. This one features a ton of future NFL talent. Keep and eye out for MLB Devin White and CB Greedy Williams of the LSU defense. Both are being considered top 10 level talent in the upcoming draft.

I watched the LSU/Miami game.  I do like D. White of LSU, very aggressive LB.  I also watched the Houston/Rice game, Ed Oliver is fun to watch, very disruptive.  I mentioned in another post that it would have been interesting to have seen Oliver play on a more talented Dline, where opposing teams could not focus so much attention on him.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Mack Wilson, LB, Alabama... I'm not sure LB will be priority in next year's draft since the LBs we got in the last two drafts seem to be doing pretty well so far, but Mack Wilson is the exact type of MIKE LB this scheme usually calls for - I have rarely seen a harder hitter at the position. He's ferocious. 

32 minutes ago, stitches said:

Mack Wilson, LB, Alabama... I'm not sure LB will be priority in next year's draft since the LBs we got in the last two drafts seem to be doing pretty well so far, but Mack Wilson is the exact type of MIKE LB this scheme usually calls for - I have rarely seen a harder hitter at the position. He's ferocious. 

He isn't available until the 2020 draft correct?  He does look pretty good. They have a few guys that look solid and are a little lighter.

I'm watching Oregon vs Stanford.

-Justin Herbert is awesome! if I were a team needing a QB, I'd draft him no. 1 without batting an eye. Athleticism, accuracy and ball placement, arm strength, progression reads. I love him! I think he will be great. 

-Not so enamored with Costello from Stanford, lock onto his target from the snap, doesn't really go through progressions, or if he does they are simple and half field progressions. I've heard people hype him as a potential NFL QB... I don't see it. 

-Stanford has another set of two TEs who will probably play in the NFL... I think the one with number 82 is named Smith... I like him. Good route runner, physical at the catch point, good hands... seems to have good size. 

-I have no idea why they are not using Arcega-Whiteside more. Watching this game and Costello continuously ignoring his best receiver is borderline criminal. His technique on establishing position for jump balls and winning the jump ball in the red zone is a thing of beauty. I have no idea how most teams would stop that if Shaw or Costello actually decided to use it with regularity. AW also seems to have good speed, not certain about his route running, but looked sharp getting out of his break on one of his long gains. 

-I wouldn't draft Bryce Love in the first 2 rounds. Maybe in the third... but I don't think he's as special as his stats from last season suggested. IMO he made a mistake returning to college. I can see his stock dropping significantly this year. 

-no. 13 from Oregon Mitchell,WR... he was open all day long. Someone to watch... seems shifty and a good route runner. 

@NewColtsFan, I'd love to hear your input on the Stanford prospects. You might include others I haven't mentioned(Holder? I've liked him for a while, how is he coming back from injury?)... 

• Like 1

On 9/23/2018 at 8:31 AM, stitches said:

I'm watching Oregon vs Stanford.

-Justin Herbert is awesome! if I were a team needing a QB, I'd draft him no. 1 without batting an eye. Athleticism, accuracy and ball placement, arm strength, progression reads. I love him! I think he will be great. 

-Not so enamored with Costello from Stanford, lock onto his target from the snap, doesn't really go through progressions, or if he does they are simple and half field progressions. I've heard people hype him as a potential NFL QB... I don't see it. 

-Stanford has another set of two TEs who will probably play in the NFL... I think the one with number 82 is named Smith... I like him. Good route runner, physical at the catch point, good hands... seems to have good size. 

-I have no idea why they are not using Arcega-Whiteside more. Watching this game and Costello continuously ignoring his best receiver is borderline criminal. His technique on establishing position for jump balls and winning the jump ball in the red zone is a thing of beauty. I have no idea how most teams would stop that if Shaw or Costello actually decided to use it with regularity. AW also seems to have good speed, not certain about his route running, but looked sharp getting out of his break on one of his long gains. 

-I wouldn't draft Bryce Love in the first 2 rounds. Maybe in the third... but I don't think he's as special as his stats from last season suggested. IMO he made a mistake returning to college. I can see his stock dropping significantly this year. 

-no. 13 from Oregon Mitchell,WR... he was open all day long. Someone to watch... seems shifty and a good route runner. 

@NewColtsFan, I'd love to hear your input on the Stanford prospects. You might include others I haven't mentioned(Holder? I've liked him for a while, how is he coming back from injury?)... 

My apologies to my main man, Stiches!    My partner in draft crime!

You were kind enough to reach out to me on Monday, and I'm only now responding.

I have much to share on this game,  as you might expect from a Stanford fan.    But I can't tonight....    I hope to find time tomorrow....

As for Herbert?    :omg:       Wow!    Holy Cow!    Checks every box.

As for Mitchel?     :heart:    :flowers:       I confess I have a HUGE man crush!

Looking forward to sharing more sometime Thursday!     Sorry for the delay,  been a very crazy week...   in mostly a good way.....

• Like 1

OK....   @Stiches       It's time to talk the Stanford-Oregon game.

For starters,  what's NOT to love about QB Justin Herbert.    Size -- check.    Arm -- check.    Accuracy -- check.     Athleticism -- Double check.    Wow, was he ever wonderful!    Dazzling,  eye popping, jaw dropping performance!    But I'd offer a word or two of caution.....    I'd like to see him do this all season long.    I want to see Herbert being great week after week after week.     And he's been very good,  but not great leading up to Stanford.    Oregon had played Bowling Green,  Portland State and San Jose State to open the season, and Herbert was completing something like 56.7 percent of his passes coming into Stanford.     Suddenly, the kid couldn't miss.     We couldn't pressure him and we couldn't cover anyone.    Herbert completed 25 of his first 27 passes.   Lights out.   Respectfully, I think Stanford helped him look great.    We laid a big fat egg of a defensive performance.   That's why I say I want to see Herbert be this good all season long.   If he is, well then his name may be called first.    Honestly,  I'd love to see him return to school for the 19 season.   Because even after this year, he'll only have one and a half seasons starting top level football.   He was hurt and missed roughly half of last season.    He really needs more time.    Everyone needs more time.    But I know that won't happen.   He'll come out.

Next up....

WR Dillon Mitchell.     Here's my new man crush!    A receiveer who literally jumped off the screen at me.     Yes,  our very soft zone gave him tons of room,  but he looked natural running patters,  he seemed to make tough catches look easy,  and his YAC,  his running after the catch was sensational.    Love the kid.    Beautiful build,  incredibly light feet,  runs great patterns,  and best of all,  looks so comfortable catching the ball.    I'm keeping my eyes on him especially come the post season, the comebine and pro days....    I'd love for the Colts to get him,  but I suspect he's a Day 2 kid,  and I don't see us spending a Day Two pick on a receiver.    I think we'll be hunting lineman and more defense.

WR JJ Arcega-Whiteside.     He's YOUR man crush!    JJ is a guy all Stanford people love.   The question is....   will his game translate to the NFL?     It's not clear how fast or quick JJ is.   It's one thing to physically dominate college DB's,   it's another to do that against NFL types.   That's a whole other world.    He's reportedly surprisingly fast in the 40...   but most Stanford people I know are a bit skeptical how he'll test.    And for JJ, that will be everything.    Right now,  he looks like another Day two kid to me.   But if he doesn't test well,  he could slip to the 4th round.    To his credit,  in all my years,  JJ is one of the best I've ever seen at using his body to wall-off DB's trying to knock the ball away.   He shields the DB and also makes the catch.   And the thing of it,  we typically use him in the Red Zone and the whole Stadium knows where we are going and most opposing defenses STILL can't stop the play.    On the NFL level,  the handle that better, I think.      He knows who to high point the ball, and at 6'3" and 225, he's a load to deal with.      Remember,  testing is the key here....

And here's a new name to offer....    I suspect you'll know him,  but some here won't.    And he played a new position in the Oregon game,  and that might just make him a target for a certain pro football team that plays in Indiana....     The kid is OL Nate Herbig.    Normally, he's our Right Guard.   He's played LG too.   But our starting RT was mostly hurt last week, and barely played.   So, instead of moving up the back-up,  we slid Nate over to RT and inserted a new RG.    And the buzz around the program is that Herbig looked damn good.    Much better than we expected considering it was his first game out in space like that.     Herbig is BIG.    Has a great nickname.   He's from Hawaii,  and his teammates call him......    Big Island!     A big boned kid that is 6'4" and more than 330.   I don't know his arm length.   But the surprising thing about him,  what makes him so unusual, is that he has surprisingly light feet for a lineman so big.    Really light feet.   It's not uncommon to see big Nate leading Bryce Love down the field.    Nate moves really well for a big man.    To be clear,  Herbig is NOT Quentin.    Nelson is far better,  far more polished.   Nate should probably come back to school for the 19 season,  but no one expects him to.   I think he's a top-50 kid,  so I see him going in the top half of the second round.    Right where I expect the Colts to take their next OL.      Believe me,   I'm watching for this!

OK....    that's it for now....   Stanford has more kids to consider....    but most are Day Three kids. Some worth serious consideration....   others perhaps are either late round kids,  or undrafted free agents that might make a roster,  or certainly a practice squad.

• Thanks 1

@NewColtsFan I just watched Stanford vs Notre Dame. Herbig looked good in spurts especially in the run game but Jerry Tillery absolutely annihilated him and the whole O-line on passing downs and with variety of moves. Wow. I mentioned him earlier in the thread when I watched him vs Michigan. He's shaping up to be a premier interior lineman in this coming draft. I think he's cementing his stock as a potential first rounder and if he keeps it up and tests well(seems like he might test very well at least from the tape it looks like he's explosive and athletic), he might even challenge for top half of the first round. He's definitely one of my favorites. 

Arcega-Whiteside had some trouble against Julian Love, who many think is a first round corner. I liked that matchup a ton. Love limited Whiteside for the majority of the game but he still managed to get one of his patented red zone box out TDs even against an elite cornerback talent. In this one you could see some of AW's limitations when it comes to shiftiness and ability to create separation at an elite level, though... I still love him and would be OK if the Colts picked him anywhere in the late-first to second round. 

Both Notre Dame WRs Chase Claypool and Miles Boykin seem like draftable prospects too. I like Claypool better though. 

After the Stanford vs Notre Dame game, I watched Ohio State vs Penn State. This Juwan Johnson WR is interesting... he's huge and he seems lumbering a bit(potential TE convert?) but he has really nice hands. He seems like he's draftable(day 3 maybe?). On Ohio State - Chase Young looks sensational. It's not just that he's got the athleticism... he looks like he's a smart player with some nice awareness. When he realized he cannot get to the QB in time he immediately went into pass deflection mode and secured a very important stop at the end of the game. I really like him... I am not sure if he's eligible this year? 

I've been watching a ton of WRs and I'm in love with this class. There are a ton of WRs that will be able to help us and potentially even turn into a WR1 or at least WR2 types for us. Collin Johnson for Texas is tantalizing. He's huge and he has athleticism and great catch-ability. Look at this catch:

Just look at it:

This is a 6'6" 230 wide receiver making those leaping catches in the end zone. Insane. I fell in love with him last year in the first game of the season vs USC when he had something like 250 yards receiving, but then he somehow managed to fly under the radar for the rest of the season. Well, that's not the case this year. He seems like he's having a great season this year and would be an interesting evaluation come draft time. 

Now I'm going to watch LSU vs Ole Miss for another dose of potential first round WR play. I wonder who of Ole Miss' 3 elite receivers will get matched against Greedy WIlliams? Whoever it is it will be a good matchup to watch.

• Thanks 1

I just watched Ed Oliver(Houston vs Tulsa). I have never seen so many double and yes... TRIPLE teams against the same player. He freaky, especially in the run game. Great burst off the ball, great strength at point of attack. He was handling double teams very well to the point where they started throwing a third offensive lineman against him at times. IMO he still doesn't look too disruptive on passing downs though... The double and triple teams might have something to do with it. The announcers said he might be closer to 6'0 and 275 than he is to his listed 6'2" 285 and I can imagine NFL teams letting him slip a little bit. It would be crazy if we managed to get him. He would be a perfect "seek and destroy" lineman in our scheme. Extremely athletic and explosive, even if a little undersized. 

^those are all linemen, not a TE or RB getting in on a triple team. 

• Like 2

On 10/5/2018 at 1:35 PM, stitches said:

I just watched Ed Oliver(Houston vs Tulsa). I have never seen so many double and yes... TRIPLE teams against the same player. He freaky, especially in the run game. Great burst off the ball, great strength at point of attack. He was handling double teams very well to the point where they started throwing a third offensive lineman against him at times. IMO he still doesn't look too disruptive on passing downs though... The double and triple teams might have something to do with it. The announcers said he might be closer to 6'0 and 275 than he is to his listed 6'2" 285 and I can imagine NFL teams letting him slip a little bit. It would be crazy if we managed to get him. He would be a perfect "seek and destroy" lineman in our scheme. Extremely athletic and explosive, even if a little undersized. 

^those are all linemen, not a TE or RB getting in on a triple team. 

Ed Oliver isn't slipping anywhere. Outside of a freak injury, him and Bosa are going 1 and 2. Oliver so closely compares to Aaron Donald. Oliver just doesn't have the help defensively at Houston that Donald did in Pitt and still what he's doing is beyond impressive.

On ‎10‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 1:35 PM, stitches said:

The announcers said he might be closer to 6'0 and 275 than he is to his listed 6'2" 285 and I can imagine NFL teams letting him slip a little bit.

I can't see him slipping. Aaron Donald was that size and he flew up the draft boards once all of the workouts and testing were done.

On 10/9/2018 at 11:46 AM, Matthew Gilbert said:

I can't see him slipping. Aaron Donald was that size and he flew up the draft boards once all of the workouts and testing were done.

There are also concerns about his ability to rush the passer. So he might not necessarily go in the top 3. Especially if a few QB needy teams pick early.

19 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

There are also concerns about his ability to rush the passer. So he might not necessarily go in the top 3. Especially if a few QB needy teams pick early.

Interesting take. Are you basing this on his zero sacks this year? I don't know many guys that can get to the QB when they're atleast double teamed if not triple teamed every single play. I can see a QB needy team moving up to draft a QB. But at this point, I can't see Oliver getting out of the top three. His film is there and he is going to have insane test numbers. We might see one of the best three cone times for a D-Linemen ever.

• 2 weeks later...

Watched Stanford vs Arizona State(I swear I'm not intentionally trying to watch Stanford games)

In case you've missed it - I still love Arcega-Whiteside. He might not have the explosive athleticism that N'Keal Harry from Arizona state has, but I do prefer him to Harry. Harry was somewhat disappointing to watch. I'm not sure if it was the way he was used(a lot of weird screens, sweeps, short slants, etc. or because of Harry. That young sophomore corner, no. 11 for Stanford is something else. Pretty much erased a potential 1st round WR in Harry from the game for 3 quarters of the game. WOW. I know he's not eligible but I have to find his name - Paulson Adebo. He looked awesome and had an interception and several PBs against Harry and he once did it on a jump ball where Harry was supposed to be at his best. 

Harry finished the game with 90 yards on 8 receptions but most of those yards were when Stanford switched to prevent defense at the end of the game and Adebo just gave him a ton of cushion on one play and he made a great sliding catch on intermediate post route on 3d and long and on the second big catch Adebo showed his inexperience when he tried to undercut a route and end the game right there in the final 2 minutes but misjudged the throw and it went over his head for about 25 yards gained by Harry. What was impressive was that even though he failed on the undercut he still had the balance and speed to immediately change direction and chase down Harry and only give him 25 yards gain, when in most cases this one goes for a much bigger gain, if not a TD. I am interested to see how he develops next year. 

Arcega Whiteside had a drop (something rare for him) but had another solid game with 90 yards and a TD, he also drew defensive pass interference calls on at least ...2-3 more occasions for what could have been 60-70 more yards. I really wish they'd use him more. He has great technique not only on jumpballs in the redzone but also when stacking defensive backs when he gets a step on them on post routes. If he gets the position you are not getting back into the play as a DB, he's just too big and too crafty... and has some speed. I wonder what he runs at the combine. I don't think he will be a burner, but to me he looks like he could be a 4.5 40 athlete, which would be pretty good for a 6'3" 230 receiver. 

@NewColtsFan Any info on Adebo? Or other thoughts on the game? 

On 10/11/2018 at 10:00 AM, Matthew Gilbert said:

Interesting take. Are you basing this on his zero sacks this year? I don't know many guys that can get to the QB when they're atleast double teamed if not triple teamed every single play. I can see a QB needy team moving up to draft a QB. But at this point, I can't see Oliver getting out of the top three. His film is there and he is going to have insane test numbers. We might see one of the best three cone times for a D-Linemen ever.

Small sack numbers and most draft sites haven’t been impressed with his pass rushing numbers.

4 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Small sack numbers and most draft sites haven’t been impressed with his pass rushing numbers.

To admit I haven't watched him play this year, other than some highlights, but apparently when Todd Herreman left for Texas last year Major Applewhite switched to a 3-4 and Ed has been playing as the NT. 

That explains why his stats are the way they are. I have no idea why they are using him like that as Herreman played him as a 3tech in his 4-3 defense. 

I still don't see anyone beating Bosa and Oliver out for the top 2 spots. Herbert definitely won't as he hasn't been that great against subpar competition. If Dwayne Haskins were to come out this year he'd go before Herbert. 

On 10/20/2018 at 10:06 PM, BleedBlu8792 said:

To admit I haven't watched him play this year, other than some highlights, but apparently when Todd Herreman left for Texas last year Major Applewhite switched to a 3-4 and Ed has been playing as the NT. 

That explains why his stats are the way they are. I have no idea why they are using him like that as Herreman played him as a 3tech in his 4-3 defense. 

I still don't see anyone beating Bosa and Oliver out for the top 2 spots. Herbert definitely won't as he hasn't been that great against subpar competition. If Dwayne Haskins were to come out this year he'd go before Herbert. 

He's been getting better in pass-rush too. He has 3 sacks and 7 TFL in the last 2 games for Houston. He's starting to put it all together and it's a sight to watch. I've seen 2 games of him this year and the number of double and triple teams he was getting was astounding - opponents just cannot handle him and he still is stacking up numbers. 

The real question for him by NFL scouts will be his size and position, but that might play into our hands(by him falling to us, or falling enough for us to be able to trade up to get him if Ballard truly believes in him). IMO he's the absolute perfect 3-tech for our scheme. He's probably a bit undersized for most teams, but that Tampa 2 relies heavily on GO-GO-GO mentality after the snap and doesn't rely on huge run stuffers. The fact that he's actually elite at run defense would only help.

I still don't see how he falls to us unless we lose huge majority of our remaining games, but oh well... one can only dream. Aaron Donald with even better tape and production still fell to the teens so who knows... 

Here's PFF's latest video on the top defensive linemen. He's currently ranked as their second best lineman in the country and his pass-rush grade is one of the highest in the country too at 88+...

1 hour ago, stitches said:

He's been getting better in pass-rush too. He has 3 sacks and 7 TFL in the last 2 games for Houston. He's starting to put it all together and it's a sight to watch. I've seen 2 games of him this year and the number of double and triple teams he was getting was astounding - opponents just cannot handle him and he still is stacking up numbers. 

The real question for him by NFL scouts will be his size and position, but that might play into our hands(by him falling to us, or falling enough for us to be able to trade up to get him if Ballard truly believes in him). IMO he's the absolute perfect 3-tech for our scheme. He's probably a bit undersized for most teams, but that Tampa 2 relies heavily on GO-GO-GO mentality after the snap and doesn't rely on huge run stuffers. The fact that he's actually elite at run defense would only help.

I still don't see how he falls to us unless we lose huge majority of our remaining games, but oh well... one can only dream. Aaron Donald with even better tape and production still fell to the teens so who knows... 

Here's PFF's latest video on the top defensive linemen. He's currently ranked as their second best lineman in the country and his pass-rush grade is one of the highest in the country too at 88+...

He'll fit virtually any 4-3 team as they are normally 1-gapping with their front 4. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/22/2018 at 4:02 PM, BleedBlu8792 said:

He'll fit virtually any 4-3 team as they are normally 1-gapping with their front 4. 

Idk the reports on him are all over now. He’s slipping in all major mock drafts. I take it to mean that the size concerns mean people see him as an UT.

6 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Idk the reports on him are all over now. He’s slipping in all major mock drafts. I take it to mean that the size concerns mean people see him as an UT.

That really doesn't mean much. Once he goes through the combine, with that added to his game film, he's only going to solidify himself as a top-2 pick. The guy is playing WAY out of position at UH and he's still extremely disruptive, and that's with below average talent around him. He's an Aaron Donald clone. I could only imagine the type of player he would be at Texas, instead of UH, where teams can't target him each and every play because of inferior talent around him. 

I look for him to do 30+ reps on the bench and run in the 4.6's in the 40 at 285 at the combine. I don't believe there is a better DT in college football right now.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BleedBlu8792 said:

I don't believe there is a better DT in college football right now.

I watched LSU vs Alabama early tonight , and let me tell ya , Quinnen Williams is comin' , if he isn't level with Oliver already. Wow , was he incredible.

That kid is going top 5 , and I wouldn't be surprised if he's taken ahead of Oliver in next year's draft. 

11 hours ago, KB said:

So I know Anthony Walker isnt a world beater, but he has played admirably. If Devin White is available with our first pick do we take him. Could make a potent LB core for the foreseeable future.

I think Mack Wilson needs some love too. 

14 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

I'm not sure why he would be slipping in mock drafts.   He has done nothing but play at a very high level all year.  He has really good burst and like most Alabama Dlinenmen, he has great hand use.

10 hours ago, Trueman said:

I watched LSU vs Alabama early tonight , and let me tell ya , Quinnen Williams is comin' , if he isn't level with Oliver already. Wow , was he incredible.

That kid is going top 5 , and I wouldn't be surprised if he's taken ahead of Oliver in next year's draft. 

Think about what you said in your quote above. Remember Ed is playing next to inferior talent than what Williams is and is also playing as a 1-tech NT in UH's 3-4 front, at 285 lbs mind you, which is beyond mind-boggling. AND he's still been disruptive against double and triple teams. 

Again, once he goes through the combine and shows off his strength and athleticism at his size, and he'll test better than the majority of LB's, he'll solidify his top-2 status. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BleedBlu8792 said:

Think about what you said in your quote above. Remember Ed is playing next to inferior talent than what Williams is and is also playing as a 1-tech NT in UH's 3-4 front, at 285 lbs mind you, which is beyond mind-boggling. AND he's still been disruptive against double and triple teams. 

Again, once he goes through the combine and shows off his strength and athleticism at his size, and he'll test better than the majority of LB's, he'll solidify his top-2 status. 

I have thought about it. I understand Oliver is dealing with more by playing out of position on less talented squad; he's an incredible player. 

I'm just saying Quinnen Williams is bloody ridiculous. He was the best player on the field for either team last night and I don't think it was particularly close. He also fits the height/weight NFL prototype better than Oliver and his pass rush moves are more advanced , imo. He's ranked as the best player in the country by PFF and it's his first year starting. For me , Oliver is more scheme dependant than Williams. I think more teams will feel Williams would be a cleaner fit for their teams. (ie :3-4 or 4-3's) . I'm not taking anything away from Oliver by suggesting this. This kind of stuff happens in the draft every year.

You can speak with certainty if you choose , I'm just saying Williams is going to make it really interesting at the very least. It's not a certainty in my mind. 

On 11/4/2018 at 2:08 AM, Trueman said:

Idk about him. Where was he when Da’Ron Payne was there? When it comes to Alabama prospects you have to look for players who were playmakers for multiple seasons. Like Minkah Fitzpatrick, C.J. Mosely, and Calvin Ridley. You have to be cautious with these guys from Bama who pop up onto the scene as soon as another player goes pro. But Alabama has overhyped lineman every year. Remember A’Shawn Robinson and Jarran Reed? Oliver has been on the radar since last season.

On 11/3/2018 at 1:44 PM, Defjamz26 said:

You're not going to like this....    but from where I sit,  there are no "major mock drafts" at this time of year.     There's just lots of darts being thrown at lots of boards.

The serious mocks start coming out in 2019.

• Like 1