Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Khalil Mack to the Bears

21isSuperman

Bears have a QB on rookie deal, so adding beasts to D is a very Seattle type move (when Wilson was on rookie deal).  But what was the cost? Were any AFC teams even in the hunt?

An anonymous GM said yesterday -

“If I was a betting man, I’d bet on Mack playing out the year with Oakland,”

But also added-

“Because if you are going to give up two ones, and then Aaron Donald is going to come in at a really high number, and then Mack is going to want more than that, it’s a lot.”

“The Jets and Chicago are two teams that could do it, in my mind,” the GM told Sando. “But it’s a lot.”

So maybe he was right about the Bears part. I wonder if Leonard Floyd and draft picks are the deal?

2 minutes ago, stitches said:

WOW! They did get two 1sts! Damn! I didn't expect that. Might even be more. 

I was going to respond to your post in the other thread before it was locked. 

That's all they really had to offer. Had to be 2 1st from them.

4 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

I'm curious to know whether these decisions are being made more by Gruden, or by McKenzie.  As much as I like(d?) Gruden, if what Raiders fans are saying is true about him making all these personnel decisions, I'm very glad the Colts didn't hire him

The three happiest teams with this trade are Denver, KC and San Diego...

• Like 2

I'm no cap expert by any means, but looking at the Raiders cap, it looks like they could have given Mack the money he wanted.  I'm not saying they should have - I'm personally against giving anyone other than a QB $20+ mil per year - but it looks like they had the space for it if they wanted to.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

Great move for the Bears.....I think they have an extra No.1 next year anyway..

Beras have been down for a few years and now that defense with Roquan Smith, Danny Trevethan and Kahlil Mack

They don't have additional picks. They have actually have traded their 2nd round pick. So they will be without 1st and 2nd this year and without an additional 1st sometime in the future... 

10 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

I'm curious to know whether these decisions are being made more by Gruden, or by McKenzie.  As much as I like(d?) Gruden, if what Raiders fans are saying is true about him making all these personnel decisions, I'm very glad the Colts didn't hire him

Gruden used his own scouting team rather than McKenzie's-

https://247sports.com/nfl/oakland-raiders/Bolt/Jon-Gruden-reportedly-using-own-personnel-over-Reggie-McKenzies-scouts-in-free-agency-116974205/

Overhauled the personnel department-

http://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/oakland-raiders-nfl-draft-scouting-jon-gruden-reggie-mckenzie/ywqky8ucqml01q67rff78bziv

Hired 13 new coaches-

http://www.espn.com/blog/oakland-raiders/post/_/id/20958/jon-gruden-officially-adds-13-coaches-to-his-raiders-staff-including-tom-cable

And put his thumbprints over every move-

https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local/Raiders-Recent-Moves-Show-Gruden-is-in-Charge-481510551.html

I think the answer is clear.  It's to $100 million dollar man...  He would have brought in a boatload of older vets here too.  I like Ballards approach.

7 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

Bears wont finish last now..That defense is real

NFC central teams just unmarked the Bears games as W's on their calendars...

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

I'm no cap expert by any means, but looking at the Raiders cap, it looks like they could have given Mack the money he wanted.  I'm not saying they should have - I'm personally against giving anyone other than a QB $20+ mil per year - but it looks like they had the space for it if they wanted to.

i read they may have a cash problem even though they have cap space

its just speculation from writers, but there is that moving fee plus building a new stadium 

4 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

Still waiting for the details on this....

…...Its not just 2 No. 1s for Mack, apparently....

Raiders just cut a (disappointing but high round draft too) DE and traded their best.  I'm sure they'd like Leonard Floyd in return somehow, maybe even giving back a mid round pick too. We'll see.

10 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

I think that's it...….they didn't want to....

This is Gruden taking control....with a little cap space

11 minutes ago, stitches said:

They don't have additional picks. They have actually have traded their 2nd round pick. So they will be without 1st and 2nd this year and without an additional 1st sometime in the future... 

You're right..I'm thinking about the Colts....

….I like the Bears but this trade would've put the Colts in the Playoffs

27 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I have no idea what is going through Chucky's mind, he's being a mad man as usual with that crazy grin!

He used his hard leverage to get a ransom for a player he apparently didn't want.  I was not on board the Gruden train to Indy... especially glad now.  We'd be the 'oldest' team in the league again.  :grumpy2:

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Mr. Too Proud said:

I don't know how to feel about this gamble... Didn't the Saints give up 2 first rounders for their pick this year? If so and depending on who else they threw in I'm calling this a win for the Bears and the AFC QBs lol

When you have a young QB on low pay...you have to make your move.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

You're right..I'm thinking about the Colts....

….I like the Bears but this trade would've put the Colts in the Playoffs

I doubt that.   Even if it did,   you're giving up the future.   The only way a trade like this makes sense is if you are on the cusp of winning the Superbowl.  The colts aren't,  and neither are the bears

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DougDew said:

So the Bears give up two high first round picks AND have to shell out cap space equal to Aaron Donald, for just one player who isn't a QB?  How could this possibly be a good deal for them?  

It looks like Gruden fleeced them.

I guess it depends on what they do with the first round picks they're getting in return, but what are the chances they find someone with Mack's talent with either one of those picks?  They also have the luxury of having their QB on a rookie deal, so they can use that extra cap space to surround him with talent on both sides of the ball.  The Bears have a pretty solid defense built up.  It depends on how Trubisky develops going into his 2nd year.

8 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Gruden used his own scouting team rather than McKenzie's-

https://247sports.com/nfl/oakland-raiders/Bolt/Jon-Gruden-reportedly-using-own-personnel-over-Reggie-McKenzies-scouts-in-free-agency-116974205/

Overhauled the personnel department-

http://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/oakland-raiders-nfl-draft-scouting-jon-gruden-reggie-mckenzie/ywqky8ucqml01q67rff78bziv

Hired 13 new coaches-

http://www.espn.com/blog/oakland-raiders/post/_/id/20958/jon-gruden-officially-adds-13-coaches-to-his-raiders-staff-including-tom-cable

And put his thumbprints over every move-

https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local/Raiders-Recent-Moves-Show-Gruden-is-in-Charge-481510551.html

I think the answer is clear.  It's to $100 million dollar man...  He would have brought in a boatload of older vets here too.  I like Ballards approach.

NFC central teams just unmarked the Bears games as W's on their calendars...

Makes me that much happier the Colts didn't hire him.  As much as I like him as a coach and think his Xs and Os knowledge is off the charts, his personnel decisions this offseason have been extremely puzzling.

7 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

He used his hard leverage to get a ransom for a player he apparently didn't want.  I was not on board the Gruden train to Indy... especially glad now.  We'd be the 'oldest' ream in the league again.  :grumpy2:

I'd have made this deal.....the Colts seem comfortable with waiting on youth and future drafts...I'm not

Edited by oldunclemark