Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Path to 53 (Colts Roster Cuts Thread)

TKnight24

13 minutes ago, TomDiggs said:

Love me some D'Angelo Henderson

I would cut C.Michael in an instant to take a chance on Henderson's potential.

Even if Michael is our only vet until Turbin gets back.

I like Henderson as well and would replace Michael with him. 

Eagles released DE Steve Means. He is a pretty good player. Would like to see colts make a move. 

Packers roster is completely unbalanced. 8 wrs, 3 QBs, 4 TEs and only kept 2 rbs and 5 dl. Their roster will chg quite a bit and some talent might become avail. 

42 minutes ago, Pacergeek said:

Welcome to the 2018 Colts, where if you suck, you still make the roster.

You absolutely have to be one of the most negative people on this forum. Do the Colts do anything you have approved of ? 

• Like 2

Couple thoughts:

- None of the moves really surprised me. As Stephen Holder mentioned on Twitter, John Simon was playing late snaps in a couple pre-season games. A hint that he might be on the roster bubble.

- Reece Fountain did not show much in the pre-season. It would be nice to keep him on the practice squad, but if not, then it is not a big deal.

- Good to see the two young linebackers - Zaire Franklin and Matthew Adams - both make the squad (for now). They both have a lot of potential. 

- Big fan of Zach Pascal. Happy to see him make it (for now). He adds value on special teams.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

If Ebron doesn't step up for us, I can see the Colts having a bottom 10 offense, even with Luck. Not impressed. Injuries and misses have decimated the WR position.

ebron will be fine. I'm more concerned with the run defense

2 hours ago, Horse Shoe Heaven said:

No real surprises, except Simon and to a minor degree Fountain not based on hes play but him being a draft pick. My hope is he, Ishmael and Walker get on the practice squad. Happy for Webb, Odum, Matt Adams, Clark, Franklin, Pascal he deserved it & Delaire. Surprised that Glowinski made it. Disappointed in the Travis injury, and Daniels being traded.

glowinski is only there to be cut during waiver claims

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TomDiggs said:

One thing I find interesting is that there doesn't seem to be any exact rationale or reasoning for who stays and goes.

If it was simply "everyone has a fair shot and we do not care about exactly where you were drafted" then Simon makes the team over a guy like Bashem.

On the other hand a guy like Pascal made it over Reece Fountain based on his performance despite Fountain being a draft pick.

And yes I know Bashem was a 3rd rounder compared to Reece being a 5th. But we cut Zach Banner like it was no big deal when he was a 4th.

I would love to see these guys day in and day out to get a read on what the coaches see in them that leads to their decisions. I find it fascinating.

zach made it over fountain because of return ability. Delair made it because they cut simon. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jdubu said:

You absolutely have to be one of the most negative people on this forum. Do the Colts do anything you have approved of ? 

I'm not trying to be negative. Just stating the truth. Colts cut Simon, whom is good at football. Colts keep Basham, whom is not good at football. Hines also made the team, whom is only good at fumbling the football. Only the Colts would have such an incompetent philosophy. 

Just now, Pacergeek said:

I'm not trying to be negative. Just stating the truth. Colts cut Simon, whom is good at football. Colts keep Basham, whom is not good at football. Hines also made the team, whom is only good at fumbling the football. Only the Colts would have such an incompetent philosophy. 

Umm.  Stick to the Pacers, then?  

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, TomDiggs said:

One thing I find interesting is that there doesn't seem to be any exact rationale or reasoning for who stays and goes.

If it was simply "everyone has a fair shot and we do not care about exactly where you were drafted" then Simon makes the team over a guy like Bashem.

On the other hand a guy like Pascal made it over Reece Fountain based on his performance despite Fountain being a draft pick.

And yes I know Bashem was a 3rd rounder compared to Reece being a 5th. But we cut Zach Banner like it was no big deal when he was a 4th.

I would love to see these guys day in and day out to get a read on what the coaches see in them that leads to their decisions. I find it fascinating.

You are answering your own questions as you cite draft picks getting cut  along with preseason producers.

You are suggesting that you have to have all the data for it to make sense...that’s the answer 

2 hours ago, Stephen said:

zach made it over fountain because of return ability. Delair made it because they cut simon. 

Well I think Zach put performed Fountain too.

2 hours ago, Stephen said:

not really fountain is still raw

Agreed.  That’s what the PS is for.  To help polish raw guys.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pacergeek said:

Problem is, I’ve not seen anything you’ve posted on this forum as anything positive. I’d quit following a team that was so “inept “ in everything they do. At least wait to complain when the real season and systems are in place. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

The main reason Simon was cut was he was making more than vet minimum. We're not winning now anyway, so saving a couple million here and there is what the thinking is.

Combination of a few things:

1. Scheme - he showed alright, but we kept him on roster in hopes of him giving them some trade value. Didn't work. 

2. Youth reps - we need to see what we have in our guys. A year setting behind a Delays their growth.

3. Injury - This ties in with 1, as if he didn't reinjure his neck, we probably would of been able to trade him. Also scares you on long term lookout.

4. Money - probably the least of the reasons, since we have plenty, but with the other 3 factors it plays in.

• Thanks 1

Now that Simon is gone and Daniels is already traded I can't think of any player who the Colts could trade that would make sense in hopes of filling a need on the roster.   I don't see Ballard trading a draft pick so I guess it all comes down to the waiver wire tomorrow.  Here's wishing Ballard good hunting. 

2 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Now that Simon is gone and Daniels is already traded I can't think of any player who the Colts could trade that would make sense in hopes of filling a need on the roster.   I don't see Ballard trading a draft pick so I guess it all comes down to the waiver wire tomorrow.  Here's wishing Ballard good hunting. 

Theoretically the trade window closed at 4 est