Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ballard is not impressing me.....

threeflight

38 minutes ago, #12. said:

Ballard's and competition - all talk, apparently.  In fact, it seems the quickest way off the team is to actually show something on the field - Simon, Melvin, Hankins, Anderson.

If this is what you're doing, if you are giving the reps to Basham and Turay regardless, then do the same throughout the team.  If you do, that's fine, but stop with the phony competition talk.

Were you there with these players on a daily bases? Were you there during every training camp and practice?  Unless you were there, there is no way you can judge what players stay or go.

28 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Were you there with these players on a daily bases? Were you there during every training camp and practice?  Unless you were there, there is no way you can judge what players stay or go.

So if the Colts cut or otherwise got rid of Luck, Brissett, Hilton, Nelson, Braden Smith and Darius Leonard, there's no way anyone could judge that unless they were with the players on a daily basis?  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BeanDiasucci said:

So if the Colts cut or otherwise got rid of Luck, Brissett, Hilton, Nelson, Braden Smith and Darius Leonard, there's no way anyone could judge that unless they were with the players on a daily basis?  

If it has to be explained I was talking about the bubble players then I would be wasting my time explaining that to you.

• Like 2

On 9/2/2018 at 1:52 PM, BeanDiasucci said:

That's such a strawman, if there was one.

18 minutes ago, rock8591 said:

That's such a strawman, if there was one.

I don't think it is a straw man. CrazyColt's argument is that unless you are with the players every day, and at training camp and at practices, there's no way you can judge what players should be cut. I didn't create a different argument, a straw man. I gave a more extreme example of the same argument. There are many ways you could potentially judge which players should be cut without being with them every day. You might have watched some of them throughout their careers leading up to this camp, might be a former or current coach or player who is a really good observer of preseason games, or maybe you just have a good sense from studying a number of sources; you just might have great insight about a starter on the team or about a bubble player. Of course, you may be very wrong, as well. I just don't accept the argument, though, that the only people allowed to have a valid or reasoned position on who should be cut are those who are with the players every day. Because GMs and coaches turn out to wrong some times, while fans and other educated followers sometimes turn out to be right.  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, BeanDiasucci said:

I don't think it is a straw man. CrazyColt's argument is that unless you are with the players every day, and at training camp and at practices, there's no way you can judge what players should be cut. I didn't create a different argument, a straw man. I gave a more extreme example of the same argument. There are many ways you could potentially judge which players should be cut without being with them every day. You might have watched some of them throughout their careers leading up to this camp, might be a former or current coach or player who is a really good observer of preseason games, or maybe you just have a good sense from studying a number of sources; you just might have great insight about a starter on the team or about a bubble player. Of course, you may be very wrong, as well. I just don't accept the argument, though, that the only people allowed to have a valid or reasoned position on who should be cut are those who are with the players every day. Because GMs and coaches turn out to wrong some times, while fans and other educated followers sometimes turn out to be right.  

Actually that is what a strawman argument is, when you create an extreme situation that is really outside of the realm of possibility and use that exaggerated scenario as proof the original comment is not valid.

To the rest you, can have an opinion about players all you want and noone is saying otherwise but most people act like because they watch the preseason games and read a few reports online they understand what is going on, when in reality they have about 10% of the information the coaches and GMs use to base their decisions.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Actually that is what a strawman argument is, when you create an extreme situation that is really outside of the realm of possibility and use that exaggerated scenario as proof the original comment is not valid.

To the rest you, can have an opinion about players all you want and noone is saying otherwise but most people act like because they watch the preseason games and read a few reports online they understand what is going on, when in reality they have about 10% of the information the coaches and GMs use to base their decisions.

I can think of multiple posters where that concept is beyond their comprehension.

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

i'll admit i wasnt overly impressed with ballards first year, and it was hard to be optimistic when they were 1-5.  i was worried that we are wasting most of lucks career

i think CB would understand, you are what your record says right?