Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ballard is not impressing me.....

threeflight

15 minutes ago, threeflight said:

That's a pretty moderate package for someone of his caliber.

You don't remember who some of our first round picks have been over the years?

Do names like Dorsett, Werner, Kelly, Brown, Hughes, and Gonzales not ring a bell???

How many of those picks were Ballards?  They seem to belong to GMs who ended up getting fired and thus don’t reflect Ballard’s judgement at all.

something else to consider.  Mack wants QB type money.  That means the Colts would have been paying him what they pay Luck.  That’s a lot of money to have tied up in two players and would have likely costs the Colts other good players to go around them in the future.  So it’s not just the loss of draft picks to consider it was the finacal side too.

it all doesn’t matter now as he’s going to the Bears but if you are going to mortgage the future in draft picks on a guy when you are rebuilding and then turn around and pay him like your franchise QB you had better darn not miss and he better not get hurt.  That’s a lot to put in one guy.  Don’t believe me go ask the Vikings and Cowboys about Herschel Walker.

1 hour ago, threeflight said:

That's a pretty moderate package for someone of his caliber.

You don't remember who some of our first round picks have been over the years?

Do names like Dorsett, Werner, Kelly, Brown, Hughes, and Gonzales not ring a bell???

Kelly was a good pick but you are using other GM'S picks as an 

indicator of what Ballard would decide on drafting?

1 minute ago, dodsworth said:

No I am saying first and second round picks are hit and miss....for any GM.

Mack was a major hit therefore worth a first and second.  Actually looks like he is worth 2 firsts to the Bears.

Congrats to the Bears.  They are making major inroads towards improving their team.

The Colts?  We got Luck back.  Besides that?  Where are we getting better?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, dodsworth said:

I would look at the list and also notice if the picks were in the first half or the second half of the round.  Luck, Kelly, Hooker, and Nelson were in the first half and, going back to Freeney (Polian), were solid. Whereas the rest were near the bottom of the round.

About the only picks the Colts have had that late that has worked out, as far back as I can remember, is Dallas Clark and Reggie Wayne.  Even Tarik Glenn and Marvin Harrison (Bill Tobin) were picked in the 17 to 19 range.

If you want to measure Ballard's performance against previous GMs, let see what happens after we have a playoff team and he's picking towards the bottom of the round.....and see if any of those players have a hard time making the roster of a playoff caliber team.

12 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I would look at the list and also notice if the picks were in the first half or the second half of the round.  Luck, Kelly, Hooker, and Nelson were in the first half and, going back to Freeney (Polian), were solid. Whereas the rest were near the bottom of the round.

About the only picks the Colts have had that late that has worked out, as far back as I can remember, is Dallas Clark and Reggie Wayne.  Even Tarik Glenn and Marvin Harrison (Bill Tobin) were picked in the 17 to 19 range.

If you want to measure Ballard's performance against previous GMs, let see what happens after we have a playoff team and he's picking towards the bottom of the round.....and see if any of those players have a hard time making the roster of a playoff caliber team.

The teams at the bottom of a round pick for need or luxury so they do often make the roster 

9 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

The teams at the bottom of a round pick for need or luxury so they do often make the roster 

Yeah, the Colts record of picking that late has been even less than that, for the most part.  They hang around for a few years, go somewhere else, then out of the league.  Except for Jerry Hughes I think.

38 minutes ago, threeflight said:

Mack was a major hit therefore worth a first and second.  Actually looks like he is worth 2 firsts to the Bears.

Congrats to the Bears.  They are making major inroads towards improving their team.

Offensive line. Tight end. Safety. We have a linebacker (finally) that has a tremendous ceiling. Defensive line outside of a stud end rusher (how many teams have one?). What we finally have is a young team. No more washed up FA picks that don't do anything for us short term and certainly not long term. We have a lot of talent on this roster. It's all 20-24 year old guys that need a little bit more time than people like you think we should give them. Sending two first round picks and more for a player that you have to pay stupid money to isn't good management for a longterm approach. Bears obviously want to make a splash now, and quite frankly Ryan Pace needs to. He's in year 4 of his process. That's like Ballard coming off a 5-11 season and a new coach two years from now and making moves like this right before the season. Desperate people do desperate things. It's a quick fix to get some W's that is going to sting next offseason and possibly the next several... 

• Thanks 1

Well I'm very impressed with CB. He is finally building a team I've hoped for for a very long time. From the lines out. It all starts up front with the big uglies. Also by building through the draft. Not ala FA Super Bowl team on paper like the redskins & eagles have tried 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, DougDew said:

About the only picks the Colts have had that late that has worked out, as far back as I can remember, is Dallas Clark and Reggie Wayne Edit: AC was picked 22.  Even Tarik Glenn and Marvin Harrison (Bill Tobin) were picked in the 17 to 19 range.

Oops, double post.

58 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Can't really complain about the picks of hall of famer Harrison, Wayne or even Clark

for that matter but the proof is in the pudding as to only having one title between 

them while having one of the best QBs of all time under center.

Ballard is trying to reform the 'soft as warm butter' makeup of this team by not

going skill players early. We have seen this movie and it almost always ends up

with a beat down from a physical team.

3 minutes ago, dodsworth said:

Ballard is trying to reform the 'soft as warm butter' makeup of this team by not

going skill players early. We have seen this movie and it almost always ends up

with a beat down from a physical team.

?   I'm not sure if I could go that far.

Hooker isn't a trench guy nor was ever known for his tackling stoutness.   I'd put Leonard, Turay, and Lewis as guys in their positions as more quick than tough.  Not that they're not tough....but they're not really built for it.  Wonder how they'll all perform against JAX. 

I thought the last guy was the "iron sharpens iron" guy more so than Reich, whose known more for a timing offense.

But so far, I like Reich's approach to practice over CP. 

Not sure how tough Josh McD would have been.

4 minutes ago, DougDew said:

?   I'm not sure if I could go that far.

Hooker isn't a trench guy nor was ever known for his tackling stoutness.   I'd put Leonard, Turay, and Lewis as guys in their positions as more quick than tough.  Not that they're not tough....but they're not really built for it.  Wonder how they'll all perform against JAX. 

I thought the last guy was the "iron sharpens iron" guy more so than Reich, whose known more for a timing offense.

But so far, I like Reich's approach to practice over CP. 

Not sure how tough Josh McD would have been.

Touche' on pointing out the questionable physicality of some of the players above

but point being is his early picks are going lines and defense instead of skill players.

It's obvious early on that the defense will not be put on the back burner under

Ballard's watch. Although Turay and Lewis may not be the most physical

D linemen, they will be a part of a platoon of fresh bodies getting reps

throughout the grind of the game.

Just now, dodsworth said:

Touche' on pointing out the questionable physicality of some of the players above

but point being is his early picks are going lines and defense instead of skill players.

It's obvious early on that the defense will not be put on the back burner under

Ballard's watch. Although Turay and Lewis may not be the most physical

D linemen, they will be a part of a platoon of fresh bodies getting reps

throughout the grind of the game.

I like the trenches, and prefer those selections over RBs, that's for sure.  I just wish we could have gotten a WR or CB instead of quicker guys for the middle of the D.

11 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I like the trenches, and prefer those selections over RBs, that's for sure.  I just wish we could have gotten a WR or CB instead of quicker guys for the middle of the D.

Possibly drafting a different D linemen or defensive player this early then maybe, but

not a WR this early. That would be in the mindset of building a soft roster.

Maybe in the future when the roster is solid then maybe use a 'luxury' pick on a high

round skill player. Even then I would still prefer to go best available defender

or lineman.

After watching 20 plus years of soft football, I am just so ready to go in a different

direction.

8 minutes ago, dodsworth said:

Possibly drafting a different D linemen or defensive player this early then maybe, but

not a WR this early. That would be in the mindset of building a soft roster.

Maybe in the future when the roster is solid then maybe use a 'luxury' pick on a high

round skill player. Even then I would still prefer to go best available defender

or lineman.

After watching 20 plus years of soft football, I am just so ready to go in a different

direction.

Overall, I agree with you. 

But a big part of the Colts early build is to keep Luck healthy.  People seem to think all you need to do is add a couple of tough guys on the Oline and all is well.

Luck needs to get rid of the ball early, and a shifty WR with route and hands is desperately needed to give Luck an option to throw too.  We have nobody, NOBODY, like that.  Even TY isn't that kind of WR.

3 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Overall, I agree with you. 

But a big part of the Colts early build is to keep Luck healthy.  People seem to think all you need to do is add a couple of tough guys on the Oline and all is well.

Luck needs to get rid of the ball early, and a shifty WR with route and hands is desperately needed to give Luck an option to throw too.  We have nobody, NOBODY, like that.  Even TY isn't that kind of WR.

I believe we all will be pleasantly surprised when Reich unloads his aggressive

playbook and the receivers we have on the team will do quite well.

I agree having a shifty slot guy would be nice for this offense though.

Had fun bantering with you Doug. :thmup:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, needanoline63 said:

Releasing John Simon was not cool. On an already bad defense? Smh

I guarantee you there's a reason. 

They put him on the trade block and didnt didn't even get a 7th for him. 

That said, at the moment , I am left scratching my head a bit

These are the defensive players the team has cut this offseason due to the scheme change: Jon Hankins, Henry Anderson, John Simon, Rashan Melvin.  Uhhhh what?

And the fact Ballard did it to keep a guy, Basham, who can't play?  Boggles my mind.

Why did that happen?  EGO.  Because Ballard drafted Basham and Simon was just a FA pick up.

I told you guys last winter that Ballard came across to me as a guy with a huge ego, and this confirms it.

Not buying this at all.  This team is gonna be bad and possibly unwatchable. Luck tends to start slow in games and get better. If the D is getting gashed on the ground it will shorten games and make comebacks unlikely.    Letting a playmaker go to keep someone who is a prayer is incompetence at its finest. So many (too many) similarities between Ballard and Grigson.

What is the plan here?  Because I don't see one.  Getting rid of hardworking GOOD players sends a very bad message to the rest of the team.

I'm done with the guy.

These are the defensive players the team has cut this offseason due to the scheme change: Jon Hankins, Henry Anderson, John Simon, Rashan Melvin.  Uhhhh what?

And the fact Ballard did it to keep a guy, Basham, who can't play?  Boggles my mind.

Why did that happen?  EGO.  Because Ballard drafted Basham and Simon was just a FA pick up.

I told you guys last winter that Ballard came across to me as a guy with a huge ego, and this confirms it.

Not buying this at all.  This team is gonna be bad and possibly unwatchable. Luck tends to start slow in games and get better. If the D is getting gashed on the ground it will shorten games and make comebacks unlikely.    Letting a playmaker go to keep someone who is a prayer is incompetence at its finest. So many (too many) similarities between Ballard and Grigson.

What is the plan here?  Because I don't see one.  Getting rid of hardworking GOOD players sends a very bad message to the rest of the team.

I'm done with the guy.

Cool story bro. 

I'm done with the guy.

Im sure ego is the only reason...

Maybe Heath, Age, and Scheme Play a role.

I understand Simon was one of the only play makers on the defense but it’s not like he is going to be a game changer. Other good rosters wouldn’t bat an eye having to cut Simon. The Colts however have a bad roster right now. Ballard is trying to make them younger, faster, and healthier.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, bravo4460 said:

Im sure ego is the only reason...

Maybe Heath, Age, and Scheme Play a role.

I understand Simon was one of the only play makers on the defense but it’s not like he is going to be a game changer. Other good rosters wouldn’t bat an eye having to cut Simon. The Colts however have a bad roster right now. Ballard is trying to make them younger, faster, and healthier.

I disagree.  I think Simon is a really good player.  And on the Colts D?

He would be considered one of their best players.

To cut the guy?

Fits in with the narrative I have been talking about for a year.

CB is an ego driven narcissistic man.

• Like 1

Ballard - "We're going to build this locker room with guys who fit what we are trying to build, it's going to take time" (paraphrase)

I have listened to his message, and he seemed to make it clear that this years winning total was not top of the priority list. What if Simon is not likely to be playing in 3 years? What if the staff thinks there might be a young man in the building that might be "That" guy in 3 years, but needs to reps and roster spot to make it happen?

I hear the term ego used a lot when describing those who do not take the path one might have chosen themselves. To me, being embarrassed because your team is not winning is far more ego based. 

It's a game of entertainment. At least for me, I am being entertained, and I am quite excited about the upcoming season. Going along with the ride is so much more fun than finger pointing, blaming, and not liking the entertainment. Hell, giving up and saying screw it is more fun than staying and hating. 

But, to each their own. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, threeflight said:

I agree.  10/10 story.

Well, your first paragraph is 50% wrong. Anderson was traded and Melvin walked in free agency. And I’d say Delaire coming in and showing well had more to do with Simon being cut than Basham did, just my opinion though. I’m not thrilled about it either, but good lord.

The rest of your post is just nonsense.

I'm done with the guy.

Ridiculous. This team is not a contender yet. It will take time, and Ballard is going to have to churn this roster to get it to contender status. The roster he inherited was awful. I liked Simon too, but his likability has nothing to do with putting the best players on the field for the new 4-3 D. Lets wait and see what happens before condemning Ballard and the Colts to permanent purgatory this season. Has it occurred to you that the Colts haven't played a single regular game yet with this roster? 

2 hours ago, threeflight said:

I'm done with the guy.

You can add Mingo to the list. And maybe not bringing back under performing Moncreif too. Who I didn't expect or mind not bringing him back but if he was still here he'd easily be our WR2.

But Hankins, Melvin, Simon, Mingo etc... All not here for the same reason. MONEY

6 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

No need to scratch your head. He was due $3 million on monday.

6 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

You can add Mingo to the list. And maybe not bringing back under performing Moncreif too. Who I didn't expect or mind not bringing him back but if he was still here he'd easily be our WR2.

But Hankins, Melvin, Simon, Mingo etc... All not here for the same reason. MONEY

We have nearly 60 million before releasing Simon. Highly doubt money was the major factor in this case. 

On 8/31/2018 at 9:32 PM, Surge89 said:

My issue is with the approach to the draft and how we took players with questions instead of players who had a more solid 2nd round grade. This was a weak defensive end class. That has not been argued and we double dipped on 2 players from that class.  

Grade by whom? Media people? Ex-nfl coaches who are not any more in the NFL? 

I mean, c'mon. I get it, you did not like what Ballard did with out 2nd round picks. Honestly, me neither. I wanted Landry and Josh Jackson to, so, I wasn't impressed by Smith and Leonard neither. (I was high on Turay though).

But man, I'd never say Ballard's picks were wrong because there were players who had more solid grades. That's just plain silly. Those who make those grades (grades that we know of, not real, NFL team grades, which we never know) are outsiders compared to those people who sit in those war rooms, and put thousands and thousands hours in evaluating, watching, scouting those players.

I'm not saying that GM's, scouts don't make mistakes. They do. I'm not saying that Ballard didn't make mistakes. He probably did. But we just don't know it yet. 

p.s.: He did not double dip on 2 DE-s. Tyquan Lewis is not a DE in 4-3, he is an inside lineman.

It's probably too early to conclude much about Ballard, but I too have had some head-scratching moments with some of his decisions, most notably, letting Rashan Melvin walk, releasing Jon Hankins last year, and now John Simon. IMO, you don't let good football players walk, especially if they're not breaking the bank. And please, save the 'wasn't a good fit for the scheme' arguments. Don't tell me an extra 1/10 of a second in the 40-yard dash, an exra 15 pounds, 2 inches of height or other measurable, is relevant to 99 percent of the plays that transpire on the field in the course of a typical game.

• Thanks 1

On 8/31/2018 at 3:50 AM, zibby43 said:

Now that you mention it, I'm actually fairly impressed by Ballard's first 2 drafts as GM given all the scheme and coaching changes.

Malik Hooker FSOhio State - Very promising; potential stud

Quincy Wilson CBFlorida - Quality depth (at this point)

Tarell Basham OLBOhio - Inconclusive; must make roster this year

Zach Banner OTUSC - Whiff

Marlon Mack RBSouth Florida - Arguably most talented RB on roster; must stay healthy

Grover Stewart DTAlbany State - Whiff

Nate Hairston CBTemple - Started at Nickel; potential to be serviceable Nickel

Anthony Walker Jr.ILBNorthwestern - Ill fit for new scheme

Maybe Ballard should have stuck with Zach Banner a bit longer? 

OL Zach Banner landed a spot on the Steelers 53-man roster

Steelers notebook: Mammoth offensive lineman survives roster cuts

https://triblive.com/sports/steelers/14036148-74/steelers-notebook-mammoth-offensive-lineman-survives-roster-cuts

On 9/1/2018 at 10:20 AM, threeflight said:

Mack is an experienced vet at this point in his career. We have over 15 players on our roster that are first or second year players. We aren’t going to be great, but I don’t see how we can say we aren’t improving. Nelson and Leonard are automatic improvements in my eyes. As well as Hooker coming back and Geathers. I’m also pretty sure all of those players are getting paid less than Mack combined. We will have some breakout players this year, I can feel it. Having Luck back allows other players to step up bc he will be doing his thing, keeping us in the game

Impressive? No, at this point far from it.

The real answer tho will be this upcoming season & next with Luck a franchise QB on team, thats if he can stay healthy and even if he can't he sure should have a plan if he doesn't. Which is Brisset.

If our won/lost record is woeful this season & especially next WITH A FRANCHISE QB then truly Ballard is more  than un-impressive.

Like Parcells said "you are what your record is".

Ballard's and competition - all talk, apparently.  In fact, it seems the quickest way off the team is to actually show something on the field - Simon, Melvin, Hankins, Anderson.

If this is what you're doing, if you are giving the reps to Basham and Turay regardless, then do the same throughout the team.  If you do, that's fine, but stop with the phony competition talk.