Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Andrew Luck now the 8th highest paid QB

lollygagger8

Crazy how much QB's get paid nowadays.....

It wasn’t too long ago that Indianapolis Colts quarterback Andrew Luck was considered the highest-paid quarterback in NFL, but that title now belongs to Aaron Rodgers of the Green Bay Packers.

When Luck signed his mega-deal, the Colts invested a five-year deal worth $122,970,000 million with $47 million guaranteed, per Over The Cap.

The past two seasons has seen Luck’s contract move down the list in terms of the highest paid quarterbacks. Since signing that five-year deal in 2016, Luck has been passed over seven times as the average salary for quarterbacks increases.

In terms of average annual salary, Luck is now the eighth-highest paid quarterback per year in the NFL. Here’s a look, per Over The Cap:

Aaron Rodgers – $33,500,000

Matt Ryan – $30,000,000

Kirk Cousins – $28,000,000

Jimmy Garoppolo – $27,500,000

Matthew Stafford – $27,000,000

Derek Carr – $25,005,000

Drew Brees – $25,000,000

Andrew Luck – $24,594,000

While many scoffed at Luck’s deal in 2016, it turns out the Colts are getting a bit of a bargain. The contracts for quarterbacks will likely continue to rise, and Luck will likely continue to move down the list as more quarterbacks get paid.

https://coltswire.usatoday.com/2018/08/29/indianapolis-colts-andrew-luck-eighth-highest-paid-quarterback-nfl-aaron-rodgers/

• Like 3

Pennies on the dollar for Andrew Luck now. Looks like we're getting a good deal now. Good for Rodgers though. I was almost certain he would have signed a contract extension late last year or this year and put a down payment on Hawaii. lol

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, csmopar said:

as much as i cant stand Tom Brady... all these QBS combined have just 2 superbowl Rings, Brady has 5 and isn't on this list.  Brady actually is the second LOWEST paid superbowl winning QB... Foles being the lowest paid.

One does not have to like Brady (I sure do not) to respect that guy. He has consistently taken less money to give them more flexibility to build that team around him and cement his legacy.

That is why he will likely go down as the GOAT.

I still would have always preferred Manning when all things were equal.

But all things are not and were not equal and as he keeps taking less than he is worth and allowing them to build that team up, he keeps adding to his legacy in the twilight of his career.

If more big-time players did what he did, this league would get lopsided pretty quickly.

Luckily most players realize the lack of longevity in their football careers and thus will try to cash in whenever and wherever they can, which helps keeping talent mobile and allows a little bit of parity.

• Like 1

Once a player signs a contract, they shouldn't worry about the contract comparative game, until it is time to negotiate a new contract.  Luck was paid very fairly at the time and the commitment is in the books.  What players subsequently sign for is entirely irrelevant.  

When Andrew signed his contract there were quite a few who complained and whined about him getting too much money and it would hamper the team from spending money on other players.

My comment at the time was in a couple of years his contract would look like a bargain.

The thing is when the QB does get a huge percentage of the cap and then when the star players cash in it does hamper the cap. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, csmopar said:

as much as i cant stand Tom Brady... all these QBS combined have just 2 superbowl Rings, Brady has 5 and isn't on this list.  Brady actually is the second LOWEST paid superbowl winning QB... Foles being the lowest paid.

Not only does Brady have a small contract Belichick does not keep too many high dollar players around. He trades his players who are due a big contact and just keeps players who work in his system.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Freenyfan102 said:

The only reason Andrew luck is on the list is because the stupid owner wanted to Make at that time the highest paid QB in the League. That is it yes we did go to the playoff three years in a row. So of the money could have been sent to be used to acquire better free agents.

Just maybe the 'stupid' owner of the Colts signed Luck to the contract he did knowing it would be a bargain later down the road?  Luck earned every penny of the contract he got.

I guess you have not been paying attention to how Ballard said and how he is building this roster. That is through the draft and not free agency. But don't let that get in the way of your hate narrative of Irsay.

• Like 1

On 8/30/2018 at 7:06 PM, TomDiggs said:

One does not have to like Brady (I sure do not) to respect that guy. He has consistently taken less money to give them more flexibility to build that team around him and cement his legacy.

The reason he has 5 rings is NOT that he takes less money. The reason is Belichick. Manning went to 4 superbowls with 4 different head coaches: Tony Dungy, Jim Caldwell, John Fox and Gary Kubiak. Just chew on this list, because this is the difference. If you are blessed to play your ENTIRE - almost 20 years - carreer under arguably the best coach of all time, you will have your rings. Not one, not two.

Taking less than he could did help maybe here and there, but not much. His 22 mills hit vs Lucks 24 or even Cousin's 30 is not much of a difference nowadays. With almost 170 millions cap space, you can easily manage 5-6 millions by book keeping it "cleverly". And there were times (actually twice), when Brady was temporarily the highest paid QB. It just eroded quickly, as contracts usually erode. Him being underpaid has I think more to do with Belichick's rigorous financial approach, that you get your contract, you play out your contract, than Brady deliberately and willingly taking less. I think Brady just doesn't care that much, because he is insanely wealthy anyway. Look at Gronk for example. He is in similar shoe as Brady, he is underpaid as well. And he complains about it every year. Why? I guess, because for him, it actually does matter how much he earns.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Just maybe the 'stupid' owner of the Colts signed Luck to the contract he did knowing it would be a bargain later down the road?  Luck earned every penny of the contract he got.

I guess you have not been paying attention to how Ballard said and how he is building this roster. That is through the draft and not free agency. But don't let that get in the way of your hate narrative of Irsay.

Its year Two and we still have a crappy Oline and still can't run the ball and only one good receiver if he shows up. Building through the draft how many Super Bowls did the Colts win building through the draft.....1
New England Gets it Colts don't.

2 hours ago, Freenyfan102 said:

Its year Two and we still have a crappy Oline and still can't run the ball and only one good receiver if he shows up. Building through the draft how many Super Bowls did the Colts win building through the draft.....1
New England Gets it Colts don't.

I am sure the Patriots fans have plenty of forum room for you. They are pretty easy to find.

14 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

I love luck as much as the next guy but how has he earned his contract? In the two years he’s had this contract his played 9 games. I’m sure he will live up to his contract eventually but as of right now he has not.

On ‎8‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 3:26 PM, crazycolt1 said:

When Andrew signed his contract there were quite a few who complained and whined about him getting too much money and it would hamper the team from spending money on other players.

My comment at the time was in a couple of years his contract would look like a bargain.

You weren't crazy

On 8/30/2018 at 10:13 PM, lollygagger8 said:

Crazy how much QB's get paid nowadays.....

It wasn’t too long ago that Indianapolis Colts quarterback Andrew Luck was considered the highest-paid quarterback in NFL, but that title now belongs to Aaron Rodgers of the Green Bay Packers.

When Luck signed his mega-deal, the Colts invested a five-year deal worth $122,970,000 million with $47 million guaranteed, per Over The Cap.

The past two seasons has seen Luck’s contract move down the list in terms of the highest paid quarterbacks. Since signing that five-year deal in 2016, Luck has been passed over seven times as the average salary for quarterbacks increases.

In terms of average annual salary, Luck is now the eighth-highest paid quarterback per year in the NFL. Here’s a look, per Over The Cap:

Aaron Rodgers – $33,500,000

Matt Ryan – $30,000,000

Kirk Cousins – $28,000,000

Jimmy Garoppolo – $27,500,000

Matthew Stafford – $27,000,000

Derek Carr – $25,005,000

Drew Brees – $25,000,000

Andrew Luck – $24,594,000

While many scoffed at Luck’s deal in 2016, it turns out the Colts are getting a bit of a bargain. The contracts for quarterbacks will likely continue to rise, and Luck will likely continue to move down the list as more quarterbacks get paid.

https://coltswire.usatoday.com/2018/08/29/indianapolis-colts-andrew-luck-eighth-highest-paid-quarterback-nfl-aaron-rodgers/

Thank you Ryan Grigson 

3 hours ago, HectorRoberts said:

I love luck as much as the next guy but how has he earned his contract? In the two years he’s had this contract his played 9 games. I’m sure he will live up to his contract eventually but as of right now he has not.

I guess you forgot the first three years of his career. You know, record breaking?  There is where he earned his money.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, HectorRoberts said:

I can say the same thing about guys that make more than he does like Cousins, Stafford, Carr, and really Garoppolo?? None of those guys have won 1 Playoff game. Luck has won 3 Playoff games and has been in a Title Game. Luck is now the 8th highest paid QB, I think that is about right.

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah I Posted that above and Carr went 6-9 last season and makes more money but yet he didn't respond to my post. 

It's amazing that he is so negative he forgets that Luck broke a bunch of first three year QB records and them went 8-7 while getting beat into the turf and getting injured.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, crazycolt1 said:

It's amazing that he is so negative he forgets that Luck broke a bunch of first three year QB records and them went 8-7 while getting beat into the turf and getting injured.

Yeah I don't see us worse than 8-8 this season either if Luck plays all 16. Nobody really knows what this team will be, so alot of it is feel and guessing but I know when Luck is healthy he wins more than he loses. 

2012 11-5

2013 11-5

2014 11-5

2016 8-7 and like you said he was playing with bad shoulder all season.

15 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah I don't see us worse than 8-8 this season either if Luck plays all 16. Nobody really knows what this team will be, so alot of it is feel and guessing but I know when Luck is healthy he wins more than he loses. 

2012 11-5

2013 11-5

2014 11-5

2016 8-7 and like you said he was playing with bad shoulder all season.

I plan on staying optimistic especially with Luck on the field but there is so many unknowns it's hard to say. We could catch lightning in a bottle but just as well could have all those unknowns bite us big time too.

The thing that not too many are bringing up is the whole new coaching staff.  Things may look good on paper but till it's put on the field it is a huge unknown.

The other is just the youngness of this team. As most of us know rookies and second year players have a tendency to make a lot of mistakes plus they haven't learned how to play and win as a team yet. 

I  honestly think we should improve as the season goes along as long as injuries don't hit us too hard.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

I guess you forgot the first three years of his career. You know, record breaking?  There is where he earned his money.

Yes he earned his money for the first 3 year but he has not YET earned it since signing his 122 million dollar contract. I’m sure he will earn it after he gets back on the field but over the last 2 seasons we have paid almost 50 million dollars for him to play 9 games.

40 minutes ago, HectorRoberts said:

Yes he earned his money for the first 3 year but he has not YET earned it since signing his 122 million dollar contract. I’m sure he will earn it after he gets back on the field but over the last 2 seasons we have paid almost 50 million dollars for him to play 9 games.

Making an issue over Luck getting paid while he was injured is petty of you.  Every player under contract gets paid no matter if they are injured or not.

54 minutes ago, HectorRoberts said:

who cares?  its not our money

that cap space wouldnt have won us games with no qb either