Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Bridgewater to NO

PrincetonTiger

8 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

Pave the way for the rookie to start. Darnold has all eyes on him now. I like this move by the Saints. Bridgewater sits and stays healthy and eventually can take the reigns from Brees?

Darnold may have a higher ceiling potential, but is nowhere near the QB that Josh McCown is right now.   JM is showing him how to be a pro, from film study, to Q&A in meetings, to game plan install, to work ethic.  Sam will watch and learn without Bridgewater in the mix, unless the wheels fall off the Jets ‘plane’ and Jet Fan scream for the rookie.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Darnold may have a higher ceiling potential, but is nowhere near the QB that Josh McCown is right now.   JM is showing him how to be a pro, from film study, to Q&A in meetings, to game plan install, towork ethic.  Sam will watch and learn without Bridgewater in the mix, unless the wheels fall off the Jets ‘plane’.

Jets said Darnold starts game 1 against the Lions. Not going to argue on JM vs Darnold. Just stating the the rookie is going to start.

He has a great situation with McCown helping the guy (unlike most rook QB’s where the vet is trying to keep his job). Still Darnold hasn’t seen everything McCown has, so once on the field it’s trial by fire.  Team will game plan then and throw stunts, blitzes, and twists at him.  But if they feel he can handle it and NY fans, have at it!  

But I feel JM gives them a better chance at winning games early in the season. And it wouldn’t hurt Darnold to watch a few first either.  I just hope it doesn’t backfire on the Jets.  It would be tough to have to bench Sam for Josh, or leave him out there to be devoured for the whole season should things fall apart.

I'm happy for Bridgewater because he landed with a quality franchise in Bayou Country. Sean Payton & Drew Brees are both offensive geniuses. The perfect spot to resurrect his career.

Of course, I said the same thing when AP landed there too & that didn't unfold like I thought it would either. I do like Teddy though & want the man to get another shot.

The Saints are a juggernaut in that dome too. I'd be cool with learning at the feet of Brees. Absolutely man.

• Like 1

Just now, southwest1 said:

I'm happy for Bridgewater because he landed with a quality franchise in Bayou Country. Sean Payton & Drew Brees are both offensive geniuses. The perfect spot to resurrect his career.

Of course, I said the same thing when AP landed there too & that didn't unfold like I thought it would either. I do like Teddy though & want the man to get another shot.

The Saint are a juggernaut in that dome too. I'd be cool with learning at the feet of Brees. Absolutely man.

There is a lot of diffences between the 2

Not surprised by the Jets trading him away.  They were impressed with both, but Darnold was their top draft choice so they want to get the foundations of their future with him started.  Bridgewater loses his chance to start this year, but has gained the opportunity for many successful starting seasons once Brees has retired.  Great move for both sides.  Saints get the hopeful successor to Brees and the Jets get a 3rd round pick for taking a flier on Teddy.  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Being a QB in the NY metro area

Unfortunately (maybe) Sam Darnold is.  Look at the teams and timing of the Jets first 3 games.  Would it not be prudent to let McCown handle that, then slide Sam in?  If things go bad early, they will run Darnold off the field amd maybe out of town. 

Pat Kirwan tells the story of how they tried hard to get Brett Favre to the Jets when he was there. They failed and the Pack got him.  Then Favre immediately tossed a boatload of picks.  The talk in the Jets FO? Can you imagine if we had got this guy and he tossed those picks here? (negative fan response would be a massive understatement).

But from I heard, there was no question  Bridgewater was the best QB in camp for the Jets.  Darnold and McCown together made the most sense though, so a TB trade was forthcoming.

Because of N.O. trades, they have no #1 or #3 draft pick next year (just a 2). But they got Marcus Davenport  (instead of a projected Lamar Jackson) for the 1, and Teddy and a 6th for a 3rd.  I think they are ok with that.

2 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

There is a lot of diffences between the 2

Yes, you're absolutely right PT. Huge difference between a RB & a QB. I just wanted Adrian Pederson to flourish in Louisiana. Not blaming the man or even Coach Payton. I just thought he was gonna do great things in Jazz Country. I know; I know. Alvin Kamara made Pederson expendable or unnecessary. I get it. Good Luck Teddy. I'm rooting for ya.

Sidenote: I always get a kick out of that one Saints fan in the stands with a gold Predator mask on with dreads. It looks so bad caboose. It just does man. I like it. :thmup:

1 minute ago, southwest1 said:

Yes, you're absolutely right PT. Huge difference between a RB & a QB. I just wanted Adrian Pederson to flourish in Louisiana. Not blaming the man or even Coach Payton. I just thought he was gonna do great things in Jazz Country. I know; I know. Alvin Kamara made Pederson expendable or unnecessary. I get it. Good Luck Teddy. I'm rooting for ya.

Sidenote: I always get a kick out of that one Saints fan in the stands with a gold Predator mask on with dreads. It looks so bad caboose. It just does man. I like it. :thmup:

Teddy was expendable because of his injury,  AP  was not productive 

4 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Teddy was expendable because of his injury,  AP  was not productive 

I never said AP was not productive. I merely mentioned/inferred that Alvin Kamara's success early on made Pederson's release almost a foregone conclusion due to Kamara's speed, strength, & elusiveness my friend. 

Yes, Bridgewater was traded to get Sam Darnold some help on the OL.

I never said AP was not productive. I merely mentioned/inferred that Alvin Kamara's success early on made Pederson's release almost a foregone conclusion due to Kamara's speed, strength, & elusiveness my friend. 

Yes, Bridgewater was traded to get Sam Darnold some help on the OL.

I was trying to be nice 

1 hour ago, PrincetonTiger said:

All while not under a microscope

47 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Being a QB in the NY metro area

Yeah, being a field general in the Big Apple does come with an intense barrage of scrutiny no doubt. If you lose on Sunday there, they will eat you alive. It's brutal. I wouldn't wanna be a QB in Philadelphia either. If you win there, you're a God, but if you don't...They will crucify you like a witch in 1692 Salem baby. LOL!

Sam Darold can handle it though. He will stabilize that franchise for the next 12-15 yrs.

Yeah, being a field general in the Big Apple does come with an intense barrage of scrutiny no doubt. If you lose on Sunday there, they will eat you alive. It's brutal. I wouldn't wanna be a QB in Philadelphia either. If you win there, you're a God, but if you don't...They will crucify you like a witch in 1692 Salem baby. LOL!

Sam Darold can handle it though. He will stabilize that franchise for the next 12-15 yrs.

People said the last part about Mark Sanchez too

4 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

People said the last part about Mark Sanchez too

True, I can't refute that. But, regarding Sanchez, he had Darrelle Revis & Bart Scott to carry Mark if necessary. I just like Sam because he reminds me a lot of Eli Manning in one respect: Ignore the press, keep your head down, & go to work getting a little bit better each day.

I think Sam has a thick skin & that resolve will come in handy as he struggles early on. I like this kid & believe he's gonna survive the onslaught & make it.

1 hour ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

Huh? He will be in the best situation he will learn from a HOF QB and then take over a team with some great young weapons on offense

Thank you for saying this CF12. Teddy gets a lot of unwarranted criticism if you ask me. He's got a decent arm, can move the chains with his legs, & it bothers me when some people give up on black quarterbacks so early & throw in the towel like the man can't play. He can. He was starting in Minnesota before he messed up his knee.

Sorry to rant here, but it always perplexes me how average QBs like Matt Cassel get chance after chance to continue to play in this league & yet guys like Bridgewater are treated by some like damaged or second hand goods. Strange.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

Thank you for saying this CF12. Teddy gets a lot of unwarranted criticism if you ask me. He's got a decent arm, can move the chains with his legs, & it bothers me when some people give up on black quarterbacks so early & throw in the towel like the man can't play. He can. He was starting in Minnesota before he messed up his knee.

Sorry to rant here, but it always perplexes me how average QBs like Matt Cassel get chance after chance to continue to play in this league & yet guys like Bridgewater are treated by some like damaged or second hand goods. Strange.

Dont worry teddy will take over the saints and be in great shape he can grow with Kamara and Thomas very good position for him 

• Like 1