Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

New fantasy football league idea- Vampire


Narcosys

Recommended Posts

 

Saw an interesting idea called a vampire league.

 

Twelve team ppr league, one team is the vampire.

 

How it works.

 

11 teams snake draft like normal, while the vampire team does not. Once the draft is complete the vampire makes a team out of the remainders on the waiver wire. 

 

The catch: The 11 teams that drafted can neither trade nor pick up from waivers. 

 

If the vampire team beats another team, he gets to trade one of his starters for one of the other teams starters...and you have no say in who (Like positions).

 

I think this could be pretty fun, maybe use it for your last minute league.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 months later...
On 8/29/2018 at 1:42 PM, Narcosys said:

 

Saw an interesting idea called a vampire league.

 

Twelve team ppr league, one team is the vampire.

 

How it works.

 

11 teams snake draft like normal, while the vampire team does not. Once the draft is complete the vampire makes a team out of the remainders on the waiver wire. 

 

The catch: The 11 teams that drafted can neither trade nor pick up from waivers. 

 

If the vampire team beats another team, he gets to trade one of his starters for one of the other teams starters...and you have no say in who (Like positions).

 

I think this could be pretty fun, maybe use it for your last minute league.

 

This definitely sounds like a fun idea. Not sure how many GMs that have several Rams or Chiefs players would agree to Mahomes or Todd Gurley being poached because they lost on a bye week, LOL. :) 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎11‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 6:41 PM, chad72 said:

 

This definitely sounds like a fun idea. Not sure how many GMs that have several Rams or Chiefs players would agree to Mahomes or Todd Gurley being poached because they lost on a bye week, LOL. :) 

The Vampire can only take someone who was an active player, not benched, during the matchup. 

 

So a person can actually, if they think they are going to lose, can bench certain players to prevent them from getting taken.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Narcosys said:

The Vampire can only take someone who was an active player, not benched, during the matchup. 

 

So a person can actually, if they think they are going to lose, can bench certain players to prevent them from getting taken.

 

I really don't like the idea of the league, the more I am finding about it. It places too many things out of your control w.r.t your roster make up. It is hard enough to deal with variables related to player performance. It makes it worse with other GMs poaching your players that you invested time and strategy into drafting.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, chad72 said:

 

I really don't like the idea of the league, the more I am finding about it. It places too many things out of your control w.r.t your roster make up. It is hard enough to deal with variables related to player performance. It makes it worse with other GMs poaching your players that you invested time and strategy into drafting.

Lol, that's the point. The Vampire doesn't get the luxury of drafting anyone, leaving more valuable players to everyone else to have better teams and depth.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Luck 4 president said:

I feel like the vampire team would win the league every year. Like in my league Connor, Phillip Lindsay, Goff, Tyler Boyd, and bears defense were all undrafted. Those guys alone would win you a few games and by week 10 your team would be unbeatable due to poached players.

Not if the other players are smart. The technique of benching valuable players during a projected loss, may give the vampire the win, but come playoff time, they can still be stuck with a 2nd string team. But yes, the Vampire can build up and have a strong team at the end of the season. Since its a new idea, I'm not sure how it plays out. But you don't always have people like Connor and Goff go undrafted, more often not the waivers only have a few good players but can be inconsistent.

Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Narcosys said:

Not if the other players are smart. The technique of benching valuable players during a projected loss, may give the vampire the win, but come playoff time, they can still be stuck with a 2nd string team. But yes, the Vampire can build up and have a strong team at the end of the season. Since its a new idea, I'm not sure how it plays out. But you don't always have people like Connor and Goff go undrafted, more often not the waivers only have a few good players but can be inconsistent.

I don’t think this year is abnormal with good FAs. Every year you can get a top 5 QB off waivers. Last year Wentz & Watson. the year before that MVP Matt Ryan... this year Goff and Trubisky. And there are always breakout RBs. I remember picking up Devonta Freeman, Jay Ajayi, David Johnson and Jordan Howard off waivers during their breakout years. Heck last year I picked up Kamara. I really believe that playing the waivers/trades is equally important as the draft.

 

but if everyone benched their solid to good players when they play you so you couldn’t poach anyone worth anything then you’d win almost every game in the regular season. But then you’d have teams who are borderline playoff teams who will risk it and end up losing their stars to you. 

 

Id like to see a league play out, but I’d be willing to bet the vampire teams would win the majority of leagues

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Luck 4 president said:

I don’t think this year is abnormal with good FAs. Every year you can get a top 5 QB off waivers. Last year Wentz & Watson. the year before that MVP Matt Ryan... this year Goff and Trubisky. And there are always breakout RBs. I remember picking up Devonta Freeman, Jay Ajayi, David Johnson and Jordan Howard off waivers during their breakout years. Heck last year I picked up Kamara. I really believe that playing the waivers/trades is equally important as the draft.

 

but if everyone benched their solid to good players when they play you so you couldn’t poach anyone worth anything then you’d win almost every game in the regular season. But then you’d have teams who are borderline playoff teams who will risk it and end up losing their stars to you. 

 

Id like to see a league play out, but I’d be willing to bet the vampire teams would win the majority of leagues

Well after the trade deadline time, or even the end of the season if you want to stretch it, the Vampire wouldn't be able to take players during the playoffs. This is because the Vampire's focus is during the season only and would be wholly unfair. Leaving the possibility of a "gimme" matchup in the playoffs versus a win inflated team.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Popular Now

  • Thread of the Week

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • I strongly disagree. We have plenty of talent on O. Game plan, play calling, and personnel choice in situational downs have been highly questionable. The pass/run mix game 1 was heavy pass, and just didn't make sense vs Jax, and especially in game 1 after no preseason with the RBs we had to start the year. The heavy run in G2 was an overreaction to G1. The heavy run in G3 was just silly given it's the Jet's strength.   Reich has a history of not attacking a teams weakness while going heavy against their strengths (see Miami last year). Play calling in general, has been predictable and conservative. I'll cut him a break there since perhaps he doesn't want to show much this early, but if he doesn't open things up soon, I'll have to scratch my head on that too. Maybe it's partly covid, but other teams look far more dynamic. We had WRs and TEs open all game Sunday, and needed to get some of the young WRs experience. It was a lost opportunity.   And IMO, even JB regressed with Reich from 2017 to 2019. The stats were very similar, but JB in 2019 had a heck of a lot better OL, and was sacked half the amount he was in 2017.    I really like Frank as a person, but it's not like his track record can't be questioned. In his two years in Phily as OC, Pederson called the plays so not much to glean from. In his two years as OC in LA, he had horrible balance both years, and was fired after being last in the league rushing and a 4-12 record. He's not all the much better than Pagano thus far, and has a much better roster.    Not saying at all we need to fire Frank, or anything like that. I am saying though he's not done anything extraordinary thus far though. He's got no excuses this year.   I agree. I can understand him not playing early last year when we had Doyle and Ebron both, but we should absolutely see him get a good snap share this year. Maybe short term a little, but honestly I'm not worried. We did fine when he was out last year. Williams had two 100 games in a row when Mack was out. Taylor will be fine with our OL. Having Taylor and Mack was an embarrassment of riches, but we're just fine with Taylor/Wilkins/Hines.   Again, IMO, goes back to game plan. We didn't run the ball a bunch against a team (Jax) that was 5th worst in the league vs the run last year. Then, we ran the ball a lot vs MN (better than they appear vs the run) and NYJ (who were 2nd best vs the run last year). Sorry, that just doesn't make sense.   Then add in things like using Hines between the tackles in goal line situations. Luck leaving was the only truly big issue. Pagano had to deal with Luck being gone a year too, and gimpy a few other years. Pagano did better (record wise) his first 3 years with a healthy Luck, then Reich did with a healthy Luck in 2018, and had a better roster on both sides, especially OL.  Not really. Rivers did great using a ton of different pass catchers this week, when allowed to throw. And we had guys wide open all game. Mo did fine in Doyle's place. Both Hines and Taylor are catching the ball well and are 22/23 on targets. TY looked better this week. Pascal is still there. Fountain got his feet wet. Taylor's AVG was good running. Our OL has been balling out and Rivers only sacked twice (on track for only 11 total this year).
    • Goodness. This is how the outbreaks start.   The first real test of NFL protocols. Let’s hope they can get a handle on it.
    • But the Vikings also didn't have any trouble moving the ball or scoring on the Packers or those vaunted Titans. So maybe there is something to be said for this defense. Just another way to look at it.
    • Titans vs Steelers Vikings vs Texans   AFCS definitely needs to keep an eye on this. I wonder if they'd plan to keep the game schedule but force the Steelers to work remote until TEN can return, so as not to gain an insurmountable advantage. Same with the Texans if the Vikings ended up getting exposed by TEN as well.   Busy week ahead.
  • Members

×
×
  • Create New...