Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Helmet Rule


jameszeigler834

Recommended Posts

Is there anybody on this forum that is with me in saying this helmet rule is terrible I guess its fair to say we will be seeing a lot of points scored this season cause they are calling those fouls and half the time they are fair hits. I don't see why the NFL thinks this rule is necessary I get they think they are making it safer but this game is violent it will never be safe there is always going to be injuries. Also one rule I forgot to mention in the title of this topic is the revision to the roughing the passer rule how do you tackle and not land on the guy even on accident this and the helmet rule is just where the NFL is getting more and more pathetic to watch. I also think that this rule and the helmet rule will effect really close games this year specifically and will more than likely cost the team that is leading and trying to stop the other team from beating them the game cause it seems like every other play they are calling these nonsense penalties.

Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, jameszeigler834 said:

Is there anybody on this forum that is with me in saying this helmet rule is terrible I guess its fair to say we will be seeing a lot of points scored this season cause they are calling those fouls and half the time they are fair hits. I don't see why the NFL thinks this rule is necessary I get they think they are making it safer but this game is violent it will never be safe there is always going to be injuries. Also one rule I forgot to mention in the title of this topic is the revision to the roughing the passer rule how do you tackle and not land on the guy even on accident this and the helmet rule is just where the NFL is getting more and more pathetic to watch. I also think that this rule and the helmet rule will effect really close games this year specifically and will more than likely cost the team that is leading and trying to stop the other team from beating them the game cause it seems like every other play they are calling these nonsense penalties.

The owners - advised by legal counsel - took this step...not to improve player safety, but to use it as a defense in future litigation.  "We tried, ladies and gentlemen of the jury...we really did."

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Dingus McGirt said:

The owners - advised by legal counsel - took this step...not to improve player safety, but to use it as a defense in future litigation.  "We tried, ladies and gentlemen of the jury...we really did."

Actually these were already being adapted in the NCAA and other places too

Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, JMichael557 said:

one of  the problems is that it is not being called on the offense. If Running back, Receiver does not lower his head then the defender can stay more upright as well. Need to start calling it on the offense. 

I think as long as they are not lowering the crown of their helmets and trying to knock somebody's head off then they need to leave it alone.

Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Dingus McGirt said:

The owners - advised by legal counsel - took this step...not to improve player safety, but to use it as a defense in future litigation.  "We tried, ladies and gentlemen of the jury...we really did."

Yes those evil owners are instigating a conspiracy.  Cloaking player safety will not be tolerated.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Farns01 said:

Like previous rule changes there will be an adjustment period.  Everybody will adapt and in a year or two it will business as usual.

Exactly.  The concept of the rule change is a sound change for the safety of the players. 

My family is directly effected by head trauma caused by playing football. For those who know me I have explained what happened to my Grandson. We live with it every day.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

Exactly.  The concept of the rule change is a sound change for the safety of the players. 

My family is directly effected by head trauma caused by playing football. For those who know me I have explained what happened to my Grandson. We live with it every day.

Sorry to hear about your grandson CC1.  You never know what we all are dealing with on a personal level in our real lives away from this forum.  Wishing the best for him and your family. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Coltsman1788 said:

Sorry to hear about your grandson CC1.  You never know what we all are dealing with on a personal level in our real lives away from this forum.  Wishing the best for him and your family. 

Thanks, it's fair to say I am for any rule made that would help stop brain trauma.

I know it can't be totally stopped but at least it should slow it down.

I think the refs will get adjusted to it right along with the players.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Yes those evil owners are instigating a conspiracy.  Cloaking player safety will not be tolerated.

 

The NFL is in a no-win situation. On one hand, the league is accused of not caring about player safety. On the other hand, any rule change they institute to promote player safety is met with revolt by fans and the media, because "they're ruining the game!"

 

The irony is the fans (as a whole) that accuse the NFL of being hypocritical are guilty of hypocrisy themselves. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the issue has to do with where the defenders eyes are.  If he can see where he's tackling, I don't think they call it.  You know, because its on his shoulders, a player is always going to "lead with his head" as long as he's not the headless horseman carrying it on his hip.

 

But if the players eyes are looking at the ground when he leads, I think that probably should be called even if he isn't specifically targeting. 

 

If that's the distinction, I think its a good rule, requiring more skill than just charging hard with the head.

Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I think the issue has to do with where the defenders eyes are.  If he can see where he's tackling, I don't think they call it.  You know, because its on his shoulders, a player is always going to "lead with his head" as long as he's not the headless horseman carrying it on his hip.

 

But if the players eyes are looking at the ground when he leads, I think that probably should be called even if he isn't specifically targeting. 

 

If that's the distinction, I think its a good rule, requiring more skill than just charging hard with the head.

The problem is that there are too many flag happy refs

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DougDew said:

I think the issue has to do with where the defenders eyes are.  If he can see where he's tackling, I don't think they call it.  You know, because its on his shoulders, a player is always going to "lead with his head" as long as he's not the headless horseman carrying it on his hip.

 

But if the players eyes are looking at the ground when he leads, I think that probably should be called even if he isn't specifically targeting. 

 

If that's the distinction, I think its a good rule, requiring more skill than just charging hard with the head.

 

Rule #1 of tackling: See what you hit.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I was listening to an interview where a comment was made that the refs were told to call anything that was close to a foul. After the Preseason, they will get together and look at them all. 

 

"These were fouls and this is why"

"These were not fouls and this is why"

 

Relax. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't like it.   I don't like how it affects game play and the games outcome.  

I think it will lead to higher yards after catch as players try to stay upright when they try to tackle. 

It won't stop me from watching and I think it will get better, but I don't like it. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Heads up football is (or should be) taught at the ground level now in youth football. It's been a movement for some time. In a few years all players will be entering the league with this basic practice hopefully already mastered. Hopefully...

 

As Princeton has said, the issue this year is going to be how the refs interpret what they are seeing. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Four2itus said:

I was listening to an interview where a comment was made that the refs were told to call anything that was close to a foul. After the Preseason, they will get together and look at them all. 

 

"These were fouls and this is why"

"These were not fouls and this is why"

 

Relax. 

 

Yup. They're calling them more liberally now to get a larger sample. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, RollerColt said:

Heads up football is (or should be) taught at the ground level now in youth football. It's been a movement for some time. In a few years all players will be entering the league with this basic practice hopefully already mastered. Hopefully...

 

As Princeton has said, the issue this year is going to be how the refs interpret what they are seeing. 

Great point

   The NFL should(do) provide teaching for coaches and every  youth, HS and College Level organization should require this for their coaches

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Great point

   The NFL should(do) provide teaching for coaches and every  youth, HS and College Level organization should require this for their coaches

Yeah through time the players will be taught the legal way to tackle. 

At the present it is very hard to reverse what a lot of these players have been doing since they started playing football.

This will also slow down what I call the big hit for the highlights. So many of these players want to make that big hit to make it on Sports Center, ESPN etc..etc..  Hopefully it will improve tackling in the long run. Players will have to learn to wrap up more. (something they should have known all along)

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/27/2018 at 11:50 AM, jameszeigler834 said:

Is there anybody on this forum that is with me in saying this helmet rule is terrible I guess its fair to say we will be seeing a lot of points scored this season cause they are calling those fouls and half the time they are fair hits. I don't see why the NFL thinks this rule is necessary I get they think they are making it safer but this game is violent it will never be safe there is always going to be injuries.

 

They do studies of areas where most serious injuries occur... then make rules to address that.  Helmet and kickoff changes this time.  They'll over flag in preseason, then tweak after season. Just wait, the 3 point stance elimination is looming on the horizon.

 

Quote

Also one rule I forgot to mention in the title of this topic is the revision to the roughing the passer rule how do you tackle and not land on the guy even on accident this and the helmet rule is just where the NFL is getting more and more pathetic to watch. I also think that this rule and the helmet rule will effect really close games this year specifically and will more than likely cost the team that is leading and trying to stop the other team from beating them the game cause it seems like every other play they are calling these nonsense penalties.

 

It's not so much that, it is the defender purposefully leaving his feet on a tackle (especially where the ball is already thrown) to place their full weight on to the QB, maybe even maneuvering their head into the QB's chest/collarbone.  This is how clavicles get broken (and I've seen worse versions than this!)...

 

 

On 8/27/2018 at 5:16 PM, DougDew said:

I think the issue has to do with where the defenders eyes are.  If he can see where he's tackling, I don't think they call it.  You know, because its on his shoulders, a player is always going to "lead with his head" as long as he's not the headless horseman carrying it on his hip.

 

But if the players eyes are looking at the ground when he leads, I think that probably should be called even if he isn't specifically targeting. 

 

If that's the distinction, I think its a good rule, requiring more skill than just charging hard with the head.

 

Yes, and also alignment of the spine.  If the spine is more parallel to the ground, and players eyes down, and crown of the helmet is the first item to contact the opponent, then it will get flagged. Every time.  Head up and contact with facemask and/or eyebrow portion of helmet, no flag.

 

On 8/27/2018 at 6:14 PM, PrincetonTiger said:

The problem is that there are too many flag happy refs

 

Preseason, yes. By design/choice.  To get players and coaches ready.  Then they'll drop off some in the season.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I see the rule as also trying to introduce some skill back into the game, instead of just athleticism and toughness.  In a broader sense, players who only focus on the latter need to be shown the door.  In part, because its really boring to watch a game where players are simply trying to out-physical the other guy.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

 

They do studies of areas where most serious injuries occur... then make rules to address that.  Helmet and kickoff changes this time.  They'll over flag in preseason, then tweak after season. Just wait, the 3 point stance elimination is looming on the horizon.

 

 

It's not so much that, it is the defender purposefully leaving his feet on a tackle (especially where the ball is already thrown) to place their full weight on to the QB, maybe even maneuvering their head into the QB's chest/collarbone.  This is how clavicles get broken (and I've seen worse versions than this!)...

 

 

 

Yes, and also alignment of the spine.  If the spine is more parallel to the ground, and players eyes down, and crown of the helmet is the first item to contact the opponent, then it will get flagged. Every time.  Head up and contact with facemask and/or eyebrow portion of helmet, no flag.

 

 

Preseason, yes. By design/choice.  To get players and coaches ready.  Then they'll drop off some in the season.

That I can see but if the guy doesn't leave his feet and lands on him and they still call it that is bullcrap.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Thread of the Week

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • KG really wasn’t near 100% until the Jax game either. He looks close to 100% now.    Week 1 Vs the Bears the Lions defense lost 3 CB’s. Two of them starters. They were dominating CHI before that and CHI was able to rally back as a result. DET still almost won the game but Swift dropped the game winner in the end zone. The Lions defense was really banged up vs GB, ARZ and NO. They are finally getting healthy. The Lions are still down two CB’s. Trufant and Coleman won’t play this week and haven’t played since week one.    I think the Swift vs Taylor matchup will be a fun one to watch.  I hope they both get the majority of the carries.   
    • I view him as mediocre.  Might not be fair to him but that's my take.  You can win with mediocre if you have a talented roster but there's a cap on your ceiling.   Good chance that Ballard knows this and will make a change if things don't go the way he wants in the playoffs.
    • If you look at how the trend is heading nowadays it seems like GM has become a complementary role to the Head Coach.  Where they basically work hand in hand with the coach or maybe even for them in scouting the class and shaping their board.  But I think the old model, the classic GM at the top ensuring you have that year to year consistency (and maybe even setting the course on what type of team he wants) has its advantages.   Ballard's a good GM.  Having that in place is really important for your long term health of the franchise.  So I think from that perspective the franchise is immediately better off than half to two-thirds of the rest of the league.   I think what he's missing is the right coach.  He needs someone more current, more creative.  Not necessarily the trendy offensive mind but a head coach who is young and gives you a tactical advantage on one side of the ball and has a chance to grow into the total package.  There's some good options out there, lot of young coordinators filtering in to the league now, but Ballard can also look at college.   Bottom line is I think we're in good hands at the top.  The roster is strong.  Lot of positives just find the right guy to tie it all together.
    • Not often but it can happen.  Bears D are the reason they won in 85
    • Rodgers has several years left  Rivers will probably be here 1 more tops
  • Members

    • CheezyColt

      CheezyColt 1,053

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Air2theThrown

      Air2theThrown 1

      Rookie
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • NFLfan

      NFLfan 10,348

      Moderators
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Dogg63

      Dogg63 1,230

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • lincolndefan

      lincolndefan 59

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • TheBlueAndWhite

      TheBlueAndWhite 150

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • NannyMcafee

      NannyMcafee 2,094

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Boondoggle

      Boondoggle 35

      New Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • KB

      KB 515

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • ColtMan

      ColtMan 3

      Rookie
      Joined:
      Last active:
×
×
  • Create New...