Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Is Ridgeway legit? BR thinks so.

Lawrence Owen

Most of us don't put a lot of faith in anything BR says, (Of course BR rarely has anything nice to say about the Colts).  But they put Ridgeway in a list of people who have stood out in this preseason, and list them as 'fool's gold', or Legit.  Here is what they said about Hassan Ridgeway:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2792428-whats-the-verdict-on-2018-nfl-preseasons-top-breakout-performers#slide5

Hassan Ridgeway hasn't established himself as a consistent difference-maker in his two seasons as an Indianapolis Colts defensive tackle. He's made just six starts since the team took him in 2016's fourth round, and he has 35 tackles in that span.

However, the Colts did discover last season that Ridgeway has value in more of a rotational pass-rushing role—he had 3.0 sacks and a safety—and this is the role in which new defensive coordinator Matt Eberflus has placed Ridgeway.

As more of a pass-rusher than a traditional defensive tackle, Ridgeway racked up 2.0 sacks in each of the first two preseason games. His 4.0 sacks were the most in the NFL.

Now, preseason sacks aren't the same as regular-season takedowns because they often come against lesser competition. However, Ridgeway showed last year that he can get to the quarterback, and if the preseason is any indication, he's in the right role to do so with more frequency in 2018.

2018 Projection: 38 Tackles, 7.5 Sacks

• Like 1

I’m not asking for the Eagles, Jags, or Vikings pass rush. Just give me something that may not produce sacks all the time but at least make the QB move or feel uncomfortable when he drops back

Couple plays last night Jimmy G could’ve made a sandwich on those 7 step drops 

I kept on eye on Ridgeway with the ones yesterday. I thought he was ok. Infairness to the man, he had to take on alot of double teams, particularly on passing downs. I think he needs to be more disciplined in the run game however. At times, he goes penetrating into the backfield, and he opened up some running lane room between Sheard and Woods. But overall, I think he is set to break out this year!

2 hours ago, Colt Overseas said:

At times, he goes penetrating into the backfield, and he opened up some running lane room

That is exactly the design of his role in this defense.  If he opens up a lane it is the linebackers job to fill it. 

We know now from past experience that run fits between the dline and LBs do take some fine tuning in this type of 4-3 and we aren’t very close yet.

5 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Ridgeway might be one of the few holdovers from the previous regime who didn’t have a great first couple years but could have an expanded role with the new staff.

His draft profile said ideal fit was a 3 technique in a 4-3 (the interior pass rusher). We may have a gem for our new system.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ColtJ82 said:

His draft profile said ideal fit was a 3 technique in a 4-3 (the interior pass rusher). We may have a gem for our new system.

Yeah he was playing out of position in a 3-4. I know people say scheme doesn’t matter but it does. Mathis had his best season in a 3-4.