Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts trade LB Antonio Morrison to Packers for CB Lenzy Pipkins (Merge)

Boiler_Colt

1 hour ago, Lawrence Owen said:

I explained the scheme change thing to them,...and the 'can't knock a pass down if he had a badmitten net' thing also.  But did explain he sure as heck can tackle...inside the tackles he's tough as nails.

You might also want to fill them in on the exorbitant amount of penalties they can expect to get from him for late hits, helmet to helmet contact and similar undisciplined tendencies he has.

Some responses  about Pipkins from Packer Nation when I explained Morrison:

"Lawrence Owen, pipkins is a hitter, I liked the guy and going to miss him."

"Pipkins wouldn't make our team either because of the two good draft picks, King, Williams, and House. I take nothing away from Pipkins though. He's flashed when given opportunities. He has some potential that's "

"Thanks Mr. Owen, sounds like a Jake Ryan replacement.
Agree, Pipkins wasn't cracking the rotation, unless they let one of the vets go"

• Like 2

The way I see it, we have 3 nickel corners (Nate Hairston, Kenny Moore and Chris Milton) and only 2 outside CB's (Wilson & Desir). They tried Hairston and Moore outside in camp, but both grade much higher on the inside.

Funny, I bellowed out that Pipkins would probably be around 6' 195# before I clicked on the player profile, and sure as suspected, he's listed as 6' 196#. Hopefully he's a good fit. I'd say Breeland is still a potential signing given the depth out there.

I like Morrison (more than many) because he is a physical run stopper. Packers liked what they saw too obviously.

Hopefully, Zaire Franklin gets on the field more now, because he can diagnose, move and tackle really well!

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Morrison was definitely going to be cut. This is a good way to try and get something for him. This trade means another Grigson draft pick is gone Of the team. Now only Geathers, Clark, Haeg, Green, and Kelly remain. And only one of those guys has a guaranteed roster spot.

So who's getting cut, Geathers or Kelly?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LucknessMonster12 said:

This comment is highly underrated.

Thank you. CB Obi Melifonwu, waived by the Raiders yesterday, is another name I think would be a nice addition with Lenzy Pipkins and Pierre Desire already in the fold.  

Now friends, there was only one or two things that Obie coulda done at
The police station, and the first was he could have given us a medal for
Being so brave and honest on the telephone, which wasn't very likely, and
We didn't expect it, and the other thing was he could have bawled us out
And told us never to be seen driving garbage around the vicinity again

6 hours ago, Douzer said:

The way I see it, we have 3 nickel corners (Nate Hairston, Kenny Moore and Chris Milton) and only 2 outside CB's (Wilson & Desir). They tried Hairston and Moore outside in camp, but both grade much higher on the inside.

Funny, I bellowed out that Pipkins would probably be around 6' 195# before I clicked on the player profile, and sure as suspected, he's listed as 6' 196#. Hopefully he's a good fit. I'd say Breeland is still a potential signing given the depth out there.

I like Morrison (more than many) because he is a physical run stopper. Packers liked what they saw too obviously.

Hopefully, Zaire Franklin gets on the field more now, because he can diagnose, move and tackle really well!

I'm liking Zaire Franklin the more I watch him play. So far he's been athletic, dianoses well, and has been a pretty solid tackler with a bit of a tough demeanor. I've liked him much better than I've liked Skai Moore. I've also liked Matthew Adams although I think Franklin appears to be a bit more ready. Franklin honestly should be getting Skai Moore's snaps.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, BeanDiasucci said:

Thank you. CB Obi Melifonwu, waived by the Raiders yesterday, is another name I think would be a nice addition with Lenzy Pipkins and Pierre Desire already in the fold.  

Dag I didn't know Melifonwu got cut.

1 hour ago, BeanDiasucci said:

The story I read had him listed as an always injured Safety though. Is he a CB or S?

16 minutes ago, krunk said:

I'm liking Zaire Franklin the more I watch him play. So far he's been athletic, dianoses well, and has been a pretty solid tackler with a bit of a tough demeanor. I've liked him much better than I've liked Skai Moore. I've also liked Matthew Adams.

I like Mathew Adams too. Even in his extremely limited minutes, you can see he's a physical LB'er. The other guy who's been really good at LB'er is Tyrel Adams. He's outplayed Najee Goode and Jeremiah George by a mile. To me, the front row should be Leonard, Franklin and Walker, With T. Adams, M Adams and 2 players to be named later. I could live with S Moore at the number 7, but George and Goode look like the guys that should be moved on to me.

23 minutes ago, Douzer said:

I like Mathew Adams too. Even in his extremely limited minutes, you can see he's a physical LB'er. The other guy who's been really good at LB'er is Tyrel Adams. He's outplayed Najee Goode and Jeremiah George by a mile. To me, the front row should be Leonard, Franklin and Walker, With T. Adams, M Adams and 2 players to be named later. I could live with S Moore at the number 7, but George and Goode look like the guys that should be moved on to me.

I'm with you to s certain degree....Leonard, Walker, Moore, M. Adams, Franklin all make it.....but the room NEEDS one veteran doesn't it?

So one of Goode, T. Adams or George is likely the 6th linebacker. Personally I've liked T. Adams more for his on the field play, but Goode's been in the league on a steady playoff team and probably offers more in the film room...?

2 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

I'm with you to s certain degree....Leonard, Walker, Moore, M. Adams, Franklin all make it.....but the room NEEDS one veteran doesn't it?

So one of Goode, T. Adams or George is likely the 6th linebacker. Personally I've liked T. Adams more for his on the field play, but Goode's been in the league on a steady playoff team and probably offers more in the film room...?

A reasonable consideration for sure. Yet, his own film works against him I'd say. Almost everyone seems to think we need an upgrade at LB'er level, so if we're seeing it correctly, I'd say there's a good chance we'll see a waiver wire acquisition. Also notable is the tendency Ballard demonstrated to select LB'ers that were both team captains and film rats.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, krunk said:

Skai Moore to me just doesn't bring any punch against the run, and is a mediocre tackler.

Well they say he was mainly a coverage LB. Also he does get in the backfield as well had a sack yesterday so he couldn't be all that bad. However if his tackling is as bad as you say then that explains why he wasn't drafted when at the time many on here thought for sure he would have been.

1 hour ago, Douzer said:

I remember the premature excitement on this board when we signed good. People were already penciling him into a starter’s role, ignoring the fact that he was a core special teamer for the Eagles at his best. I never really expected much out of him. I think you roll with Walker, Leonard, Franklin, Adams, and either Williams or George. Develop and bet on the young guys.

11 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

Go with the young talented guys.  Simon played LB and can help guide film room study.

20 hours ago, MightyLucks said:

Only really on!e ILB that I feel confident in on the packers and that’s Blake Martinez. But Ahmad Thomas has been decent  in camp. So I think Morrison is a  lock to make the team. ILB is a big time position of need

Agree, I do like the LB Ryan you have to but I think hes out for the year. Good trade for both teams i think. Gives both guys a shot in positions of need for both teams!

18 hours ago, Douzer said:

Agree I also like Adams a lot too!

11 hours ago, jameszeigler834 said:

Well they say he was mainly a coverage LB. Also he does get in the backfield as well had a sack yesterday so he couldn't be all that bad. However if his tackling is as bad as you say then that explains why he wasn't drafted when at the time many on here thought for sure he would have been.

You don't lead your college team (SC) in tackles in all 4 years if you can't tackle.  And I don't think he was drafted because there was concern over his neck surgery that kept him out in 2016 and his lack of speed at the combine. He only  ran a 4.7  but he  is  football fast. In other words he covers a lot of ground on a football field and is plenty fast enough. I will admit  he has taken some bad angles but I think that is mostly due to him getting used to the speed of the NFL. He will be fine.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, krunk said:

Skai Moore to me just doesn't bring any punch against the run, and is a mediocre tackler.

It might be time for us to think of Skai Moore as a 3rd down coverage LB then, and play someone else for 2 downs if we think someone else is better on that front. With fewer teams playing no huddle, we might get our chances for the substitutions.

22 hours ago, MightyLucks said:

I’ve been a packer fan since birth (born in Milwaukee) so I watch all of the packers games and Lenzy actually played decent towards the end of the season as mentioned in the tweet above. Packers drafted 2 good corners this year so he was getting cut regardless. 

True.

I mean - Tramon Williams is back from injury, Kevin King, Josh Jackson, Jaire Alexander, Davon House, no way Lenzy was making the squad. 

Packers may finally be stacked at CB. Plus, this gives the Packers the opportunity to play more man coverages and maybe Lenzy fits our D better overall. 

1 hour ago, SC-Coltsfan said:

You don't lead your college team (SC) in tackles in all 4 years if you can't tackle.  And I don't think he was drafted because there was concern over his neck surgery that kept him out in 2016 and his lack of speed at the combine. He only  ran a 4.7  but he  is  football fast. In other words he covers a lot of ground on a football field and is plenty fast enough. I will admit  he has taken some bad angles but I think that is mostly due to him getting used to the speed of the NFL. He will be fine.

All good points He needs time to learn and get better which I believe he will as the season goes on.