Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Brissett keeps showing himself as a fringe starting QB in the league, and it seems the more he plays the better he plays. 

From his point of view, he could decide to sit behind Andrew, and learn from this staff and team much like Rogers did behind Favre, and many people think Andrew should have done behind Peyton Manning. Maybe he re-signs? 

To me having a legitimate backup QB is extremely valuable in today’s league. 

Why not (if you’re brissett) learn from a potential dynasty and enjoy the ride and win a few SBs while you’re at it? Haha. Obviously Andrew isn’t going anywhere. But Brisset could become a first round pick to a needy team, later down the road. A high pick is a high pick no matter what draft it is in. Brissett has the potential to be a starting QB in this league. 

• Like 1

Odds are Brissett will want to sign with a team who will give him a legitimate chance to start.

Unfortunately,  unless Luck gets hurt in the next four months,  that won’t be the Colts.

Brissett doesn’t want to spend his prime years standing on the sidelines.  He wants to play,  he wants to start.

• Like 1
55 minutes ago, Nesjan3 said:

if someone offers a first round pick i am sure Brissett is gone, everyone knows he wants to start.

Didn't Irsay himself say they would not trade him even for a 1st?  And wasn't it reported we had turned down a 2nd round offer for him?

• Like 1
2 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Didn't Irsay himself say they would not trade him even for a 1st?  And wasn't it reported we had turned down a 2nd round offer for him?

Irsay says dumb stuff from time to time. Nobody made a trade offer for Brissett. A lot of folks here who think the Colts can trade JB for a 1st or 2nd will be disappointed. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
15 minutes ago, MPStack said:

Irsay says dumb stuff from time to time. Nobody made a trade offer for Brissett. A lot of folks here who think the Colts can trade JB for a 1st or 2nd will be disappointed. 

I think someone would for a 3rd but I said that months ago. A 1st or a 2nd is a stretch I agree.

1 hour ago, LockeDown said:

I don’t quit watching the game when JB is playing.  I have a very low threshold for watching backup QBs as I find them boring. So I think there is more to him.

:agree:with everything you said.    I just like him.  Period.   

• Like 3

I'm not convinced that Brissett will be traded after this year. If the Colts look toward  the 2019 season as serious playoff contenders, they may value an inexpensive good back-up QB for that one season over a draft pick.

I don't think it is Irsay saying "dumb stuff." I think it is Irsay trying to upsell Brissett for an unlikely 1st, a slightly less unlikely 2nd, or a great deal for us 3rd. I actually think it is very smart. And even though I think the Patriots lost this trade big time, if Gucci Garopp goes for a 2nd rounder, anything more than a 3rd is wishful thinking.

Stop with the Brissett is just a good backup he has shown that he can be a starter in this league and I would be comfortable if he was our Qb. Im tired of some people disrespecting him like he is a nobody this man simply came in last year with 1 week to learn the playbook and performed admirably and much better than most thought as well as myself.

Now with Tolzien trash can be labeled but with Brissett im not going for it not to mention NE and Belichek knows how to identify Qbs Ballard didn't trade for Brissett for no reason. Im honestly taking Brissett over a lot of starting and rookie Qbs around the league.

Luck took the same team only to an 8-8 record, Tolzien would have gone 0-16, and this guy comes in with only 1 week to prep and goes 4-12 half of what Luck could do Not to mention a couple plays here or there could have easily swung that to 8-8 or even better Brissett had us in almost in every game.

• Like 2
14 hours ago, MPStack said:

With 15 starts and very pedestrian numbers. I would be!

I know normally numbers don't lie but they do with Brissett. What you call pedestrian numbers do not tell the truth under the circumstances. Being sacked 50 times and hit in the other 50% every time he touched the football kind of explains those pedestrian number you bring up.

• Like 1
20 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Irsay says a lot of things and it was reported Monday the second round pick offer was false.

14 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

I know normally numbers don't lie but they do with Brissett. What you call pedestrian numbers do not tell the truth under the circumstances. Being sacked 50 times and hit in the other 50% every time he touched the football kind of explains those pedestrian number you bring up.

Top10 QBs sacked last season. A lot of top QBs on that list, so I don't by into the sacked 50 times completely.

1Jacoby BrissettIndianapolis ColtsQB52

2Tyrod TaylorBuffalo BillsQB48

3Matthew StaffordDetroit LionsQB47

4Russell WilsonSeattle SeahawksQB43

5Kirk CousinsWashington RedskinsQB41

6Andy DaltonCincinnati BengalsQB39

6Alex SmithKansas City ChiefsQB39

6Tom BradyNew England PatriotsQB39

6Josh McCownNew York JetsQB39

6Cam NewtonCarolina PanthersQB39

30 minutes ago, Grind Hard said:

Stop with the Brissett is just a good backup he has shown that he can be a starter in this league and I would be comfortable if he was our Qb. Im tired of some people disrespecting him like he is a nobody this man simply came in last year with 1 week to learn the playbook and performed admirably and much better than most thought as well as myself.

Now with Tolzien trash can be labeled but with Brissett im not going for it not to mention NE and Belichek knows how to identify Qbs Ballard didn't trade for Brissett for no reason. Im honestly taking Brissett over a lot of starting and rookie Qbs around the league.

Luck took the same team only to an 8-8 record, Tolzien would have gone 0-16, and this guy comes in with only 1 week to prep and goes 4-12 half of what Luck could do Not to mention a couple plays here or there could have easily swung that to 8-8 or even better Brissett had us in almost in every game.

Angry much?

• Haha 1

If Jameis falters this season in Tampa Bay, I can easily see the Bucs giving us at least a 2nd for Brissett. That’s really the perfect destination for him.  Every other team has an established starter or a young guy drafted recently. Maybe the Giants if Eli falls off a cliff. Dark horse teams could be Denver, Miami, or Washington depending on what happens with their veterans.  Hell Patriots could even offer us a 2 to get him back. 

53 minutes ago, MPStack said:

Top10 QBs sacked last season. A lot of top QBs on that list, so I don't by into the sacked 50 times completely.

1Jacoby BrissettIndianapolis ColtsQB52

2Tyrod TaylorBuffalo BillsQB48

3Matthew StaffordDetroit LionsQB47

4Russell WilsonSeattle SeahawksQB43

5Kirk CousinsWashington RedskinsQB41

6Andy DaltonCincinnati BengalsQB39

6Alex SmithKansas City ChiefsQB39

6Tom BradyNew England PatriotsQB39

6Josh McCownNew York JetsQB39

6Cam NewtonCarolina PanthersQB39

6 or 7 of these QBs teams did not make the playoffs last season.

3 of these QBs are not even with the same team as last season.

Brissett had how much practice and camp time with the Colts?

Brissett had how much time to learn the play book?

You are over looking IMO. If you don't think he is good enough to be a starter I can understand that but using his numbers to judge him is not the best example of saying that.

2 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

6 or 7 of these QBs teams did not make the playoffs last season.

3 of these QBs are not even with the same team as last season.

Brissett had how much practice and camp time with the Colts?

Brissett had how much time to learn the play book?

You are over looking IMO. If you don't think he is good enough to be a starter I can understand that but using his numbers to judge him is not the best example of saying that.

You said stats don't necessarily tell the tale, but sacks basically contributed to his pedestrian numbers. However, the majority of those players had better overall stats and QBR. I believe JB was ranked 27th overall. 

Like I said, I think he's a good backup nothing more at the moment. 

12 minutes ago, MPStack said:

You said stats don't necessarily tell the tale, but sacks basically contributed to his pedestrian numbers. However, the majority of those players had better overall stats and QBR. I believe JB was ranked 27th overall. 

I can respect that.

But the fact he had no camp and a playbook he didn't know plus throwing to receivers he didn't even know does play into the factors of his low numbers and QBR rating.

I think giving him to chance to learn to be a QB on a team that can give him a complete training camp where he can be with the players he is going to play with would make a lot of difference.

One thing he has is pure toughness and commands the huddle.

All of those things add up to a starting QB somewhere in this league. I just don't believe his talents are not as good as quite a few starting QBs in the league right now.

Not trying to be argumentative, just explaining my thoughts an him.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, MPStack said:

... Except that your stats are not proving your point.

Just because they are in top 10 in sacks allowed doesn't mean anything. More than half your list is 13 sacks less than Brissett and that is across a 16 game season. That almost a entire sack more a game. Of all the arguments to go against Brissett (and trust me there are arguments) this is the most shallow. He definitely was effected by the worst play calling coach group and inadequate oline by far. 

I do think Jacoby has potential. Is he ever going to be a top 20 QB eh I don't think so. But the position is inflated and rare, so to think there is no team ever that will give a first round or second pick for him is naive and misinformed about the QB market.

If any qb is traded this offseason to a team to try and start it would be Teddy Bridgewater before JB hes already proved he can win all he has to do is show he is healthy and he could easily start somewhere hell hes better than Bortles 

• Haha 1
On 8/24/2018 at 12:33 AM, ztboiler said:

He’s also still under contract for 2019 on a rookie deal.  

the question is do we keep him that long and let him walk for nothing or do we trade him first

if his stock rises high enough it would make sense to trade him, but if we are only getting a third round pick or something it might make sense to hang onto him in case we need a backup for a playoff run 

20 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

I think his biggest value to the Colts is being their backup QB.  I mean unless you like having guys the level of Scott Tolizen being the Colts backup.

Just maybe Brissett is not happy being a back up?  If he is like most QBs that enter the NFL they want the chance to be a starter. With what I seen today it is quite possible he may very well get attention. If the Colts do want to keep him it will take a contract that would change his mind. We all know what that means. Big money for a back up.

I would like to see him stay but I don't think he will. He will be traded IMO.

11 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Just maybe Brissett is not happy being a back up?  If he is like most QBs that enter the NFL they want the chance to be a starter. With what I seen today it is quite possible he may very well get attention. If the Colts do want to keep him it will take a contract that would change his mind. We all know what that means. Big money for a back up.

I would like to see him stay but I don't think he will. He will be traded IMO.

He probably isn’t but that’s not a bridge the Colts have to cross until the end of the 2019 season.  My point is just because you have a good backup QB doesn’t mean you have to trade him just because you might get something in return.

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

He probably isn’t but that’s not a bridge the Colts have to cross until the end of the 2019 season.  My point is just because you have a good backup QB doesn’t mean you have to trade him just because you might get something in return.

That holds true for this year but not next year.  If he is not resigned for a pretty big contract or not traded he will walk to where ever he has a chance to be a starter. I can't hold that against him.

15 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

That holds true for this year but not next year.  If he is not resigned for a pretty big contract or not traded he will walk to where ever he has a chance to be a starter. I can't hold that against him.

Nor can I.  The Colts wouldn’t be the first team to lose their backup QB to free agency.  That doesn’t mean he doesn’t provide the most value to them backing up Luck while they have him.  

52 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Nor can I.  The Colts wouldn’t be the first team to lose their backup QB to free agency.  That doesn’t mean he doesn’t provide the most value to them backing up Luck while they have him.  

Oh, he is earning his money no doubt. It's looking like Ballard fleeced the Patriots giving them Dorsett for him. That alone itself was pretty sly.

If he is end up traded for a good pick or a good player it just sweetens the deal.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Oh, he is earning his money no doubt. It's looking like Ballard fleeced the Patriots giving them Dorsett for him. That alone itself was pretty sly.

If he is end up traded for a good pick or a good player it just sweetens the deal.

Or if he’s just Lucks backup through 2019 that’s fine too.  The Colts need a backup QB and shouldn’t feel like they have to give away a good one just because they will probably lose him in free agency.  Look at the value hasselbeck provided when Luck first got hurt.  A good backup QB can save your season.  The Colts were on their way to the playoffs with him until Hasselbeck got hurt too.  Hopefully the Colts don’t need Jacoby again but if they do they should feel confident knowing he can hold down the fort until Andrew returns.  That’s not a piece of mind I’d be quick to part with unless a team just makes you a crazy offer or you think you have something similar in Walker.

• Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Or if he’s just Lucks backup through 2019 that’s fine too.  The Colts need a backup QB and shouldn’t feel like they have to give away a good one just because they will probably lose him in free agency.  Look at the value hasselbeck provided when Luck first got hurt.  A good backup QB can save your season.  The Colts were on their way to the playoffs with him until Hasselbeck got hurt too.  Hopefully the Colts don’t need Jacoby again but if they do they should feel confident knowing he can hold down the fort until Andrew returns.  That’s not a piece of mind I’d be quick to part with unless a team just makes you a crazy offer or you think you have something similar in Walker.

Wouldn't you think getting a good pick for him would be better than letting him walk?

I know this depends on Luck being healthy but in the middle of a rebuild I would take the pick if he can't be resigned.

1 minute ago, crazycolt1 said:

Wouldn't you think getting a good pick for him would be better than letting him walk?

I know this depends on Luck being healthy but in the middle of a rebuild I would take the pick if he can't be resigned.

Not nessceraly.  Say Luck gets hurt in week 15 next year and is going to miss a game or two and the Colts need those games to make the playoffs.  I’d rather have Brissett back there than a guy the level of Tolizen and a first or second round draft pick the following year.

• Like 1