Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Recommended Posts

Brissett keeps showing himself as a fringe starting QB in the league, and it seems the more he plays the better he plays. 

 

From his point of view, he could decide to sit behind Andrew, and learn from this staff and team much like Rogers did behind Favre, and many people think Andrew should have done behind Peyton Manning. Maybe he re-signs? 

 

To me having a legitimate backup QB is extremely valuable in today’s league. 

 

Why not (if you’re brissett) learn from a potential dynasty and enjoy the ride and win a few SBs while you’re at it? Haha. Obviously Andrew isn’t going anywhere. But Brisset could become a first round pick to a needy team, later down the road. A high pick is a high pick no matter what draft it is in. Brissett has the potential to be a starting QB in this league. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Odds are Brissett will want to sign with a team who will give him a legitimate chance to start.

 

Unfortunately,  unless Luck gets hurt in the next four months,  that won’t be the Colts.

 

Brissett doesn’t want to spend his prime years standing on the sidelines.  He wants to play,  he wants to start.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Nesjan3 said:

if someone offers a first round pick i am sure Brissett is gone, everyone knows he wants to start.

 

Didn't Irsay himself say they would not trade him even for a 1st?  And wasn't it reported we had turned down a 2nd round offer for him?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

 

Didn't Irsay himself say they would not trade him even for a 1st?  And wasn't it reported we had turned down a 2nd round offer for him?

Irsay says dumb stuff from time to time. Nobody made a trade offer for Brissett. A lot of folks here who think the Colts can trade JB for a 1st or 2nd will be disappointed. 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, MPStack said:

Irsay says dumb stuff from time to time. Nobody made a trade offer for Brissett. A lot of folks here who think the Colts can trade JB for a 1st or 2nd will be disappointed. 

I think someone would for a 3rd but I said that months ago. A 1st or a 2nd is a stretch I agree.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LockeDown said:

I don’t quit watching the game when JB is playing.  I have a very low threshold for watching backup QBs as I find them boring. So I think there is more to him.

 :agree:with everything you said.    I just like him.  Period.   

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not convinced that Brissett will be traded after this year. If the Colts look toward  the 2019 season as serious playoff contenders, they may value an inexpensive good back-up QB for that one season over a draft pick.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think it is Irsay saying "dumb stuff." I think it is Irsay trying to upsell Brissett for an unlikely 1st, a slightly less unlikely 2nd, or a great deal for us 3rd. I actually think it is very smart. And even though I think the Patriots lost this trade big time, if Gucci Garopp goes for a 2nd rounder, anything more than a 3rd is wishful thinking.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Stop with the Brissett is just a good backup he has shown that he can be a starter in this league and I would be comfortable if he was our Qb. Im tired of some people disrespecting him like he is a nobody this man simply came in last year with 1 week to learn the playbook and performed admirably and much better than most thought as well as myself.

 

Now with Tolzien trash can be labeled but with Brissett im not going for it not to mention NE and Belichek knows how to identify Qbs Ballard didn't trade for Brissett for no reason. Im honestly taking Brissett over a lot of starting and rookie Qbs around the league.

 

Luck took the same team only to an 8-8 record, Tolzien would have gone 0-16, and this guy comes in with only 1 week to prep and goes 4-12 half of what Luck could do Not to mention a couple plays here or there could have easily swung that to 8-8 or even better Brissett had us in almost in every game.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, MPStack said:

With 15 starts and very pedestrian numbers. I would be!

I know normally numbers don't lie but they do with Brissett. What you call pedestrian numbers do not tell the truth under the circumstances. Being sacked 50 times and hit in the other 50% every time he touched the football kind of explains those pedestrian number you bring up.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

 

Didn't Irsay himself say they would not trade him even for a 1st?  And wasn't it reported we had turned down a 2nd round offer for him?

Irsay says a lot of things and it was reported Monday the second round pick offer was false.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

I know normally numbers don't lie but they do with Brissett. What you call pedestrian numbers do not tell the truth under the circumstances. Being sacked 50 times and hit in the other 50% every time he touched the football kind of explains those pedestrian number you bring up.

Top10 QBs sacked last season. A lot of top QBs on that list, so I don't by into the sacked 50 times completely.

 

1Jacoby BrissettIndianapolis ColtsQB52

2Tyrod TaylorBuffalo BillsQB48

3Matthew StaffordDetroit LionsQB47

4Russell WilsonSeattle SeahawksQB43

5Kirk CousinsWashington RedskinsQB41

6Andy DaltonCincinnati BengalsQB39

6Alex SmithKansas City ChiefsQB39

6Tom BradyNew England PatriotsQB39

6Josh McCownNew York JetsQB39

6Cam NewtonCarolina PanthersQB39

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Grind Hard said:

Stop with the Brissett is just a good backup he has shown that he can be a starter in this league and I would be comfortable if he was our Qb. Im tired of some people disrespecting him like he is a nobody this man simply came in last year with 1 week to learn the playbook and performed admirably and much better than most thought as well as myself.

 

Now with Tolzien trash can be labeled but with Brissett im not going for it not to mention NE and Belichek knows how to identify Qbs Ballard didn't trade for Brissett for no reason. Im honestly taking Brissett over a lot of starting and rookie Qbs around the league.

 

Luck took the same team only to an 8-8 record, Tolzien would have gone 0-16, and this guy comes in with only 1 week to prep and goes 4-12 half of what Luck could do Not to mention a couple plays here or there could have easily swung that to 8-8 or even better Brissett had us in almost in every game.

Angry much?

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

If Jameis falters this season in Tampa Bay, I can easily see the Bucs giving us at least a 2nd for Brissett. That’s really the perfect destination for him.  Every other team has an established starter or a young guy drafted recently. Maybe the Giants if Eli falls off a cliff. Dark horse teams could be Denver, Miami, or Washington depending on what happens with their veterans.  Hell Patriots could even offer us a 2 to get him back. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, MPStack said:

Top10 QBs sacked last season. A lot of top QBs on that list, so I don't by into the sacked 50 times completely.

 

1Jacoby BrissettIndianapolis ColtsQB52

2Tyrod TaylorBuffalo BillsQB48

3Matthew StaffordDetroit LionsQB47

4Russell WilsonSeattle SeahawksQB43

5Kirk CousinsWashington RedskinsQB41

6Andy DaltonCincinnati BengalsQB39

6Alex SmithKansas City ChiefsQB39

6Tom BradyNew England PatriotsQB39

6Josh McCownNew York JetsQB39

6Cam NewtonCarolina PanthersQB39

 

 

6 or 7 of these QBs teams did not make the playoffs last season.

3 of these QBs are not even with the same team as last season.

Brissett had how much practice and camp time with the Colts?

Brissett had how much time to learn the play book?

You are over looking IMO. If you don't think he is good enough to be a starter I can understand that but using his numbers to judge him is not the best example of saying that.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

6 or 7 of these QBs teams did not make the playoffs last season.

3 of these QBs are not even with the same team as last season.

Brissett had how much practice and camp time with the Colts?

Brissett had how much time to learn the play book?

You are over looking IMO. If you don't think he is good enough to be a starter I can understand that but using his numbers to judge him is not the best example of saying that.

 

You said stats don't necessarily tell the tale, but sacks basically contributed to his pedestrian numbers. However, the majority of those players had better overall stats and QBR. I believe JB was ranked 27th overall. 

 

Like I said, I think he's a good backup nothing more at the moment. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, MPStack said:

You said stats don't necessarily tell the tale, but sacks basically contributed to his pedestrian numbers. However, the majority of those players had better overall stats and QBR. I believe JB was ranked 27th overall. 

 

Like I said, I think he's a good backup nothing more at the moment. 

I can respect that.

But the fact he had no camp and a playbook he didn't know plus throwing to receivers he didn't even know does play into the factors of his low numbers and QBR rating.

I think giving him to chance to learn to be a QB on a team that can give him a complete training camp where he can be with the players he is going to play with would make a lot of difference.

One thing he has is pure toughness and commands the huddle.

All of those things add up to a starting QB somewhere in this league. I just don't believe his talents are not as good as quite a few starting QBs in the league right now.

Not trying to be argumentative, just explaining my thoughts an him.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MPStack said:

You said stats don't necessarily tell the tale, but sacks basically contributed to his pedestrian numbers. However, the majority of those players had better overall stats and QBR. I believe JB was ranked 27th overall. 

 

Like I said, I think he's a good backup nothing more at the moment. 

 

... Except that your stats are not proving your point.

 

Just because they are in top 10 in sacks allowed doesn't mean anything. More than half your list is 13 sacks less than Brissett and that is across a 16 game season. That almost a entire sack more a game. Of all the arguments to go against Brissett (and trust me there are arguments) this is the most shallow. He definitely was effected by the worst play calling coach group and inadequate oline by far. 

 

I do think Jacoby has potential. Is he ever going to be a top 20 QB eh I don't think so. But the position is inflated and rare, so to think there is no team ever that will give a first round or second pick for him is naive and misinformed about the QB market.

Link to post
Share on other sites

If any qb is traded this offseason to a team to try and start it would be Teddy Bridgewater before JB hes already proved he can win all he has to do is show he is healthy and he could easily start somewhere hell hes better than Bortles 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/24/2018 at 12:33 AM, ztboiler said:

He’s also still under contract for 2019 on a rookie deal.  

the question is do we keep him that long and let him walk for nothing or do we trade him first

 

if his stock rises high enough it would make sense to trade him, but if we are only getting a third round pick or something it might make sense to hang onto him in case we need a backup for a playoff run 

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

I think his biggest value to the Colts is being their backup QB.  I mean unless you like having guys the level of Scott Tolizen being the Colts backup.

Just maybe Brissett is not happy being a back up?  If he is like most QBs that enter the NFL they want the chance to be a starter. With what I seen today it is quite possible he may very well get attention. If the Colts do want to keep him it will take a contract that would change his mind. We all know what that means. Big money for a back up.

I would like to see him stay but I don't think he will. He will be traded IMO.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Just maybe Brissett is not happy being a back up?  If he is like most QBs that enter the NFL they want the chance to be a starter. With what I seen today it is quite possible he may very well get attention. If the Colts do want to keep him it will take a contract that would change his mind. We all know what that means. Big money for a back up.

I would like to see him stay but I don't think he will. He will be traded IMO.

He probably isn’t but that’s not a bridge the Colts have to cross until the end of the 2019 season.  My point is just because you have a good backup QB doesn’t mean you have to trade him just because you might get something in return.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

He probably isn’t but that’s not a bridge the Colts have to cross until the end of the 2019 season.  My point is just because you have a good backup QB doesn’t mean you have to trade him just because you might get something in return.

That holds true for this year but not next year.  If he is not resigned for a pretty big contract or not traded he will walk to where ever he has a chance to be a starter. I can't hold that against him.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

That holds true for this year but not next year.  If he is not resigned for a pretty big contract or not traded he will walk to where ever he has a chance to be a starter. I can't hold that against him.

Nor can I.  The Colts wouldn’t be the first team to lose their backup QB to free agency.  That doesn’t mean he doesn’t provide the most value to them backing up Luck while they have him.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Nor can I.  The Colts wouldn’t be the first team to lose their backup QB to free agency.  That doesn’t mean he doesn’t provide the most value to them backing up Luck while they have him.  

Oh, he is earning his money no doubt. It's looking like Ballard fleeced the Patriots giving them Dorsett for him. That alone itself was pretty sly.

If he is end up traded for a good pick or a good player it just sweetens the deal.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Oh, he is earning his money no doubt. It's looking like Ballard fleeced the Patriots giving them Dorsett for him. That alone itself was pretty sly.

If he is end up traded for a good pick or a good player it just sweetens the deal.

Or if he’s just Lucks backup through 2019 that’s fine too.  The Colts need a backup QB and shouldn’t feel like they have to give away a good one just because they will probably lose him in free agency.  Look at the value hasselbeck provided when Luck first got hurt.  A good backup QB can save your season.  The Colts were on their way to the playoffs with him until Hasselbeck got hurt too.  Hopefully the Colts don’t need Jacoby again but if they do they should feel confident knowing he can hold down the fort until Andrew returns.  That’s not a piece of mind I’d be quick to part with unless a team just makes you a crazy offer or you think you have something similar in Walker.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Or if he’s just Lucks backup through 2019 that’s fine too.  The Colts need a backup QB and shouldn’t feel like they have to give away a good one just because they will probably lose him in free agency.  Look at the value hasselbeck provided when Luck first got hurt.  A good backup QB can save your season.  The Colts were on their way to the playoffs with him until Hasselbeck got hurt too.  Hopefully the Colts don’t need Jacoby again but if they do they should feel confident knowing he can hold down the fort until Andrew returns.  That’s not a piece of mind I’d be quick to part with unless a team just makes you a crazy offer or you think you have something similar in Walker.

Wouldn't you think getting a good pick for him would be better than letting him walk?

I know this depends on Luck being healthy but in the middle of a rebuild I would take the pick if he can't be resigned.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, crazycolt1 said:

Wouldn't you think getting a good pick for him would be better than letting him walk?

I know this depends on Luck being healthy but in the middle of a rebuild I would take the pick if he can't be resigned.

Not nessceraly.  Say Luck gets hurt in week 15 next year and is going to miss a game or two and the Colts need those games to make the playoffs.  I’d rather have Brissett back there than a guy the level of Tolizen and a first or second round draft pick the following year.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Thread of the Week

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • Personnel.  They’ve spent quite a bit of draft capital on secondary and Dends.  Thus far the results of that outlay of capital is mediocre at best.  With our weakness in coverage including our all pro Will, I think blitzing would be disastrous in the current scheme.      
    • If he’s good enough I think it’s insane not to.  
    • I doubt we grab Ertz if he is even cut (not looking likely). Plus why so many think Doyle gets cut for this move makes little sense. The coaches and Ballard love him. He gets the first down catches when we need him but more importantly he blocks better than majority of TE’s in the game. We are run heavy team so his value comes a lot more than just catches and yards. If for some reason they grab Ertz if cut then you pair him with Doyle to create a strong group not cut one and create a weakness.    I will say I doubt we grab a TE that will want 8mil per year. Even a 1 year deal doesn’t make sense for us here. After signing Fisher we have roughly 13 mil for the season. Ballard doesn’t like being strapped during the season. 
    • I think it could still happen   Doyle would be the casualty though    
    • Man I really like this signing!  If he can come back 80% as good as he has played I would say we def upgraded our offensive line and that’s no knock on AC I just think this guy can be much better (if healthy). I would put our offensive line up against anyone else’s.  With that said Murphy’s law keeps coming into my mind because we have soo many ifs and question marks for this team that we can literally be 6-10 bad or super bowl bound. I can’t think of any colts team with this many “if” question marks.   If wentZ can prove last year was a fluke and go back to being one of the best up and coming qb in the game than we are sitting pretty. If he plays like he did last year things will be very very ugly.    Then you got this guy. If fisher can come back healthy we can have one of the best lines in football. If he doesn’t play or is diminished we have a huge hole at one of the most important positions.      I don’t know why but I just have this feeling with so many question marks on this team, that the season could go either way. I do fear that  some of These question marks  aren’t going to go our way and we will be hurting. Btw  Some of these other question marks Include , Will Mack be back to his old self?   Was last year a fluke for our new stud RB? Will ty  hilton plAy any better, or will he continue to decline? Was last year a fluke for Xavier Rhodes? Will Paris cambell stay healthy and actually contribute?  How will our rookie DEs play?  Then you have  the question mark that every team has  which is who will stay healthy?  
  • Members

    • coltsfan1965

      coltsfan1965 15

      New Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • SOMDColtsfan

      SOMDColtsfan 121

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • White shoes

      White shoes 0

      Rookie
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • csmopar

      csmopar 7,715

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • cdgacoltsfan

      cdgacoltsfan 699

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Rally5

      Rally5 517

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • dew5150

      dew5150 112

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Nickster

      Nickster 930

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • lincolndefan

      lincolndefan 67

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • TheBlueAndWhite

      TheBlueAndWhite 75

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
×
×
  • Create New...