Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Grading Nelson -- Ravens

Superman

30 minutes ago, #12. said:

In terms of numbers, what would be an A, B, C, D and F in your system?

That's what's difficult. In theory, Player A could play 40 snaps, have 20 dominant wins and 20 dominant losses, and wind up with a 0. Player B could play 40 snaps, have 20 standard wins and 20 standard losses, and still wind up with a 0. But those performances are not equal. 

For me, assigning a letter grade is more subjective than just averaging each play's grade and giving that number value as a grade. Grading is inherently subjective, so it kind of doesn't matter, but I feel the number value is more quantifiable.

That's also why I'm giving some context -- how many dominant plays either way, how many losses, etc. 

There might be a formula that distills the grades a little bit better. I'll kick that around. It would probably be the difference between the wins and loss, averaged over the number of plays, or something like that. Thanks for the question.

1 hour ago, Superman said:

My grade for Nelson against the Seahawks: https://forums.colts.com/topic/58774-schwartz-on-nelson-mostly-real-good/?do=findComment&comment=1744466

Figured I'd do the same for the Ravens game. Much more consistent performance for Nelson in this game, especially pass blocking. I want to see him again against a more penetrating defensive interior, but he was right at home in this one, against a group of bigger, more 2-gapping group of DL.

Nelson played 7 series, 35 plays (too many short drives due to sloppy offense), 22 passes, 13 runs. 

I had him at 0.38 on 13 run plays. He didn't really have any dominant plays like he did last week, when he crushed guys and buried them under the turf. But he was smooth, in control, played with a great pad level, used his hands and feet together, did a good job on combo blocks -- and his trademark is finishing, which he did well on Monday.

He had a couple losses in the run game. The first, he got beat on a club/rip move and let his man get inside of him, winding up on the ground, because he leaned over his feet and lost his leverage. On the second it looked like it was supposed to be a combo block, and he was on the move and didn't get much help before initiating, but he got pushed into the backfield before recovering somewhat; he didn't see his assigned man soon enough. 

I had him at 0.59 on 22 pass plays (up from 0.1 last week). Really good technique throughout, he looked smooth, patient, handled his assignments, gave up some push but used his power to re-anchor, did a good job on combo blocks, stayed aware and picked up stunts, etc. I gave him one dominant win in protection, and it was because he mirrored his initial punch with his feet, stayed low and maintained leverage, and controlled his man on a long developing pass play. Great win there, IMO (first play of Brissett's first drive, if you want to check it out). I almost gave him another dominant win two plays later, because the rusher tried to get him with an inside/out two step, but Nelson used his feet almost like a LT to stay in front of his man (don't get carried away, it was a second team DT, not an elite edge rusher). I only gave him a win on that play because there was no physical domination, but Nelson handled that rep about as well as you could ask for.

I gave him two losses in the pass game. One, he picked up a stunt well, but his head was down and his hands were too low, and he got pushed 4-5 yards into the backfield and affected the passer. The second, his hands again weren't in sync, he got beat again on a club/rip to the inside. It was a quick pass so it didn't affect the QB, but it was still a problematic rep. And those are the kind of losses he took last week. He'll have to keep working on his hand placement and initial punch in pass protection, and I think he'll have trouble with skilled 3 techs.

Total grade, 0.57 on 35 plays (up from 0.3 on 33 plays against Seattle). One dominant win, no dominant losses, much more consistent performance than last week. 

I intend to grade him in the next game also.

To your last sentence.....

How do you plan to view the game?

Inquiring minds and all that....

I was wondering how much of his performance this week is due to the fact that these teams had practiced 2 times before the game and them (Nelson and the DT's) getting familiar with each others nuances?

Reason I ask is because this has implications within our division with us playing them 2 times a year.  And frankly, those 3 teams are the ones who will have the most familiarity with us over time.

1 hour ago, Lawrence Owen said:

I was wondering how much of his performance this week is due to the fact that these teams had practiced 2 times before the game and them (Nelson and the DT's) getting familiar with each others nuances?

Reason I ask is because this has implications within our division with us playing them 2 times a year.  And frankly, those 3 teams are the ones who will have the most familiarity with us over time.

I wondered about that also. It probably played a role, but I think the Ravens being a bigger defensive front, while Seattle is a smaller but faster front, was probably a bigger factor. Think the difference between our defensive front last season vs our defensive front this season. Rasheem Green gave Nelson some trouble, he's pretty good. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Superman said:

My grade for Nelson against the Seahawks: https://forums.colts.com/topic/58774-schwartz-on-nelson-mostly-real-good/?do=findComment&comment=1744466

Figured I'd do the same for the Ravens game. Much more consistent performance for Nelson in this game, especially pass blocking. I want to see him again against a more penetrating defensive interior, but he was right at home in this one, against a group of bigger, more 2-gapping group of DL.

Nelson played 7 series, 35 plays (too many short drives due to sloppy offense), 22 passes, 13 runs. 

I had him at 0.38 on 13 run plays. He didn't really have any dominant plays like he did last week, when he crushed guys and buried them under the turf. But he was smooth, in control, played with a great pad level, used his hands and feet together, did a good job on combo blocks -- and his trademark is finishing, which he did well on Monday.

He had a couple losses in the run game. The first, he got beat on a club/rip move and let his man get inside of him, winding up on the ground, because he leaned over his feet and lost his leverage. On the second it looked like it was supposed to be a combo block, and he was on the move and didn't get much help before initiating, but he got pushed into the backfield before recovering somewhat; he didn't see his assigned man soon enough. 

I had him at 0.59 on 22 pass plays (up from 0.1 last week). Really good technique throughout, he looked smooth, patient, handled his assignments, gave up some push but used his power to re-anchor, did a good job on combo blocks, stayed aware and picked up stunts, etc. I gave him one dominant win in protection, and it was because he mirrored his initial punch with his feet, stayed low and maintained leverage, and controlled his man on a long developing pass play. Great win there, IMO (first play of Brissett's first drive, if you want to check it out). I almost gave him another dominant win two plays later, because the rusher tried to get him with an inside/out two step, but Nelson used his feet almost like a LT to stay in front of his man (don't get carried away, it was a second team DT, not an elite edge rusher). I only gave him a win on that play because there was no physical domination, but Nelson handled that rep about as well as you could ask for.

I gave him two losses in the pass game. One, he picked up a stunt well, but his head was down and his hands were too low, and he got pushed 4-5 yards into the backfield and affected the passer. The second, his hands again weren't in sync, he got beat again on a club/rip to the inside. It was a quick pass so it didn't affect the QB, but it was still a problematic rep. And those are the kind of losses he took last week. He'll have to keep working on his hand placement and initial punch in pass protection, and I think he'll have trouble with skilled 3 techs.

Total grade, 0.57 on 35 plays (up from 0.3 on 33 plays against Seattle). One dominant win, no dominant losses, much more consistent performance than last week. 

In your opinion, is Nelson living up to, below, or above expectations?

8 hours ago, Superman said:

I remember some folks saying DONT TAKE A GUARD AT 6! lol 

4 hours ago, compuls1v3 said:

In your opinion, is Nelson living up to, below, or above expectations?

None of the above. It's preseason, and half his reps are coming against second teamers. He's playing well and I think he'll be fine, but I think he'll have trouble with quicker defender. I'm not making a big deal out of anything at this point, either way.

15 hours ago, Rackeen305 said:

I remember some folks saying DONT TAKE A GUARD AT 6! lol 

I too stand by that assessment but I also forego that Ballard had a much better grasp of the draft meta than I did.  He did his homework and somehow knew there'd be an unimaginable amount of guards taken in the first. Given that I had almost no issue taking Nelson since we wouldn't have had a chance at the top tier guard talent in the second. 

It's not always black and white as people try and make it seem. 

11 minutes ago, Surge89 said:

I too stand by that assessment but I also forego that Ballard had a much better grasp of the draft meta than I did.  He did his homework and somehow knew there'd be an unimaginable amount of guards taken in the first. Given that I had almost no issue taking Nelson since we wouldn't have had a chance at the top tier guard talent in the second. 

It's not always black and white as people try and make it seem. 

Nelson was also far and away the best prospect remaining at #6, and that was pretty much telegraphed once the Broncos signed Keenum.