Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Hassan Ridgeway 4 sacks in first 2 games.

Lawrence Owen

Hassan Ridgeway has 2 sacks in each of his first 2 preseason games.  John Simon has had a sack in each as well.  

Both of these players at the beginning of camp were thought of as not going to be productive for different reasons.  Ridgeway because many didn't think he was 'special' enough to make impact plays regularly.  Simon because his size and speed in his new position.  Both have been proving the majority of people wrong so far this preseason.

Both of these linemen are just effort guys.  They just find a way to get to the QB.  

We have not seen Jabaal Sheard ,whom many thought would 'blow up' in this new style.  Yet we are getting plays from those many had written off.  Like Basham, Who has had a decent preseason also.  Last game he fought a double team to block a punt and then retrieve it.  I  personally believe we have young players who have yet to come into their own. Some of them are just now showing up, and others may be on the team that have yet to blossom due to how young this roster on defense truly is. 

1 hour ago, BProland85 said:

The biggest thing this team needs is great coaching to develop these many young players and putting them in the best situations to succeed. That and good health of course. 

Figure we haven't gotten to see the 2 D-line draft picks yet.  So there is also that.

2 hours ago, Lawrence Owen said:

We have not seen Jabaal Sheard ,whom many thought would 'blow up' in this new style.  Yet we are getting plays from those many had written off.

Apparently you have missed the games so far. Sheard has played pretty well and has got pressure to push the pocket towards others. He causes hurries and did last night as well. He also has great containment for his edge. Not sure if the few snaps he gets in the PRESEASON you think he should already have 5 sacks or something?

10 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

Apparently you have missed the games so far. Sheard has played pretty well and has got pressure to push the pocket towards others. He causes hurries and did last night as well. He also has great containment for his edge. Not sure if the few snaps he gets in the PRESEASON you think he should already have 5 sacks or something?

No , i've watched them, and not seen Sheard at all. No sacks, no tackles this week...and i never saw a hurry from him either. 

23 minutes ago, Lawrence Owen said:

No , i've watched them, and not seen Sheard at all. No sacks, no tackles this week...and i never saw a hurry from him either. 

Not worried about either. He does very well at containment and pushing the play away from him. He has had pressure. In a regular game where he plays a good amount of snaps will be a little different than a few snaps in a preseason game during 1 quarter.

1 hour ago, Lawrence Owen said:

Sheard has been solid. I think his loss would be more felt if he was not there, as he sets a good edge. In terms of pass rushing, he was in for a sack if Hassan Ridgeway didn't beat him in getting to Lamar Jackson first. I think Sheard will finish with roughly 8 sacks this year, +/- 2. 

Anyone remember that one terrible play we had on D where they set the edge HARD on us using their TE and we had no one to persue? Anyone remember which of our guys got swallowed up on that one? I was just curious and I deleted the game.

I know it's a vague question. It was definitely in the first half.

4 hours ago, shastamasta said:

Ridgeway definitely has the talent...would have went higher in the draft if not for concerns about being in shape. Probably the best D pick Grigs made when it's all said and done.

well... since SOMEONE has to be his best D pick, it isn't necessarily saying much.. if they are nearly all F's a D looks great.  So far in the regular season he's been no better than a D in my opinion.  Let's hope he moves up to being a B. 

2 hours ago, JPFolks said:

well... since SOMEONE has to be his best D pick, it isn't necessarily saying much.. if they are nearly all F's a D looks great.  So far in the regular season he's been no better than a D in my opinion.  Let's hope he moves up to being a B. 

LOL that was a heck of a way of turning a person's positive post into a negative.  Pretty sure he was not grading Hassan a 'D',  but calling him 'D'efensive.  But i got ya.  Pretty smooth.

Either way, Being the leader in the NFL preseason after 2 games with 4 sacks is giving himself accolades.  He already in 2 preseason games is only 1 1/2 sacks behind the entire Colts team leader who only had 5 1/2 last year.

I do agree with your 'last year' assessment though.  But then , we were in a 3-4...not the 4-3.   And 3rd year is generally when players 'break-out'. So i'd be happy with a 'B' this year as well.  :thmup: