Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Irsay cryptic tweet/Bob Lamey (Voice of the Colts) retiring (merge)

Luck 4 president

1 hour ago, Smoke317 said:

As a long time Colts fan I’m disappointed in the team for the slight cover up, Lamey for the messed up joke, and a lot of posters on here trying to rationalize and give him a pass...  Not too shocking coming from the state of Indiana but still...  

But help me understand something here to maybe help clarify things?  The gist or punchline of the joke was that blacks hold back or don’t give their all?  Or is there a different meaning?  If that was the point then how in the hell is it funny and why would he repeat telling that lame joke?  Please help me understand so I can see why a lot of you guys want to give him a pass?  What am I missing from this incident?

The bolded is just an ignorant statement.

As far as the rest, did you even bother to read the article?  He wasn't telling a joke he was retelling a conversation he had with someone else.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Cynjin said:

The bolded is just an ignorant statement.

As far as the rest, did you even bother to read the article?  He wasn't telling a joke he was retelling a conversation he had with someone else.  

Most prolly didnt read it they read "white man" and "n word" and lost their damn minds.

• Like 1

Just now, jvan1973 said:

Bob Lamey has been covering professional sports for 40+ years.   He has known these players,  had interactions with them daily,   for over 40 years.   Not one person has said he was a racist until now.   Odd

Don’t think it was racist it was flat out insensitive 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Fluke_33 said:

On race and language if you have a chance take a look at Lenny bruce’s Stance on it.  He used the word in an attempt to weaken it.  Maybe unrealistic in application but pretty impressive for a white comedian circa 1960.  

There a many examples of greatness like that within several different worlds 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

There a many examples of greatness like that within several different worlds 

True.  His is very relatable and powerful and on point with this discussion.  Worth a google search I think.  A link to it may be against the rules here bc of the nature of his material.  

6 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Bob Lamey has been covering professional sports for 40+ years.   He has known these players,  had interactions with them daily,   for over 40 years.   Not one person has said he was a racist until now.   Odd

Who's saying he's racist?  He said a racist word and he's suffering the consequences.  So be it.  I am glad that lady had the courage to report what she heard because all too often racist, homophobic, and misogynistic remarks got laughed off and go unreported.  

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Fluke_33 said:

True.  His is very relatable and powerful and on point with this discussion.  Worth a google search I think.  A link to it may be against the rules here bc of the nature of his material.  

I also thought of athletes like Jesse Owens and Wilma Rudolph and what they did in the Olympics

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Smoke317 said:

As a long time Colts fan I’m disappointed in the team for the slight cover up, Lamey for the messed up joke, and a lot of posters on here trying to rationalize and give him a pass...  Not too shocking coming from the state of Indiana but still...  

But help me understand something here to maybe help clarify things?  The gist or punchline of the joke was that blacks hold back or don’t give their all?  Or is there a different meaning?  If that was the point then how in the hell is it funny and why would he repeat telling that lame joke?  Please help me understand so I can see why a lot of you guys want to give him a pass?  What am I missing from this incident?

I could take a guess or two, but it doesn't matter.  I couldn't possibly give a reason as to why he retold the joke/story.  Face it, the fact he did retell the joke/story means it's time for retirement.  That said,  I can understand why they tried to let him retire quietly.   At 80, was he all there when he made the decision to say it?  It's hard to understand.

On 8/19/2018 at 1:30 PM, coltsfeva said:

I loved when he would get excited- (I’m not in Indianapolis so I had to listen on the radio).

I did notice he was making mistakes lately but he’s pretty old isn’t he? Time for him to relax and enjoy his family. I wish him well!

Exactly right CFA. Like CC1 said in an earlier post, Bob's vivid descriptions of formations & receptions created the impression that you were literately there in the thick of the action. He was fantastic.

On 8/19/2018 at 1:36 PM, Savage21 said:

Listening to Colts game just won't be the same.

I wasn't born in INDY nor do I reside there, but listening to Mr. Lamey on my XM radio was magic. His voice inflections on Colts touchdowns was a cut above other NFL announcers. Nobody like Bob man. His diction, pacing, & enthusiasm on calls in our favor made the guy second to none.

15 hours ago, NFLfan said:

That's absurd. He did not call anyone the N-word. He was telling a story. That is a big difference. Why is it that folks can't make the distinction. 

Thank you for saying this NFLfan. I never had the pleasure of meeting Bob personally, but I've heard him do a ton of radio interviews & I know the guy loves his family, loves the Colts organization, & he is not a racist person. I just appreciate all his loyal yrs of dedication to INDY & his legacy in my eyes has not been tarnished 1 bit.

13 hours ago, SteelCityColt said:

Because people are having a quite sensible (so far) conversation about a sensitive topic?

Lock this topic, pretend this word doesn’t exist.. sure, that’s how we eradicate the ills of society. I mean prohibition and censorship has such a good track record.

@SteelCityColt: I respect this post so much not only for it's brilliant last line, but because meaningful discussions about sensitive or volatile subject matters never get resolved by closing topics down. Look, consensus or total agreement isn't what matters here. Some can believe a person is racist or a statement had racist overtones without believing that the source they derived from has deep seeded racist beliefs inside of them.

Just keep the lines of communication open meaning don't make people feel foolish for however they chose to interpret this Lamey situation. Don't drive debates underground by locking threads which solves nothing & drives people underground out of frustration.

This is why I really enjoyed your last line regarding Prohibition & censorship. You understood the vast majority of posters were being polite & listening to all perspectives even if they respectfully didn't see eye to eye on what what Bob said or the reason he said what he said. Plus like @NewColtsFan so astutely said, you have to look at Lamey's entire career. Nothing from his past in terms of remarks when he did play by play hockey games, Pacers games, or Colts games would indicate he's been suspended for inappropriate comments of this magnitude. Don't blemish a man's illustrious broadcasting career over an error in judgement. He's already been forced to retire. There's no need to extract any more flesh just to humiliate the man. Enough is enough. He knows he made a mistake & paid a heavy price.

Anyway SCC, thanks for reminding us all that episodes like this need to be talked about. All points of view need to be heard, & not retaliated against even if it contradicts what we personally believe in our hearts & minds. You Rock!

Look people can think whatever they want. If we go after everybody that crossed the line in a moment of weakness, we'd all end up in a morality jail of public opinion eventually. Bob will be forgiven in my eyes because I examine a person's whole entire life's work not just 1 moment in time. There will be no crucifixion of Bob Lamey from where I sit anyway.

37 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

I also thought of athletes like Jesse Owens and Wilma Rudolph and what they did in the Olympics

Oh. I see. Those people were great too but   No , Lenny Bruce did not overcome racism to achieve greatness. He was a white comedian who talked about the n word and other racial slurs to diffuse them.  Very cool and different approach to it all. 

42 minutes ago, deedub75 said:

Who's saying he's racist?  He said a racist word and he's suffering the consequences.  So be it.  I am glad that lady had the courage to report what she heard because all too often racist, homophobic, and misogynistic remarks got laughed off and go unreported.  

Uh, anyone that thinks he should be fired thinks he is a racist

8 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Forget politics for 30 seconds.  Real world discussion:  For 10 different reasons, it was impossible for the Colts to retain him.  He gave them no choice.  Impossible.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Public figures don’t have “private” lifes

That is a very profound statement PT. Like it or not, everything reporters, booth announcers, or favorite son celebrities say or do gets scrutinized. Well said. Darn, I'll really gonna miss Bob. This blows. 

6 hours ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

I don't understand this argument in the defense of older folks...

Every form of discrimination is going to become less socially acceptable as time goes on.  Isn't that the way it's supposed to be?

Should we slow down progress so older folks have more time to adjust to what is right?

That is a fascinating question LCF. I say that because everyone has heard the phrase "respect your elders" for the wisdom & life experience they have, but we seldom flip that coin & ask but what if age is just a shield or crutch some seasoned individuals use to never adapt & evolve? Not referring to Lamey here BTW.

6 hours ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Not just racism but sexism and discrimination based on disability et al

Yes, discrimination comes in more than 1 form indeed. Thank you for saying that PT. Much appreciated.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Smoke317 said:

As a long time Colts fan I’m disappointed in the team for the slight cover up, Lamey for the messed up joke, and a lot of posters on here trying to rationalize and give him a pass... 

2 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I did not hear what the joke was personally, I just heard he used the n-word in a joke. I don't know the context of the joke.

@Jared Cisneros Please inform yourself before sharing your opinion on a matter you aren't fully informed on yet.

I think the context of the joke IS the problem.  The butt of the joke is black people being lazy and only being fast when they need to be.

That's why Lamey shouldn't get a pass.  It doesn't matter if that joke was socially acceptable 30-40 years ago.

It would be different, and in a way less racist (maybe?), if he was reciting a standup routine from Chris Rock or Kevin Hart while using the N-word, but he wasn't.  He made a racist joke where the N-word is the punchline.

3 hours ago, Smoke317 said:

Not too shocking coming from the state of Indiana but still...

I saw something like this in another thread.  While Lameys LAME joke had a distinct Indiana flavor of racism, PLEASE don't think we're all like this.  There is a large albeit quiet demographic of GOOD people in Indiana.  :hat:

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

You are usually a pretty reasonable person on here but that is so untrue. I’m ok with him being fired but that doesn’t mean I think he’s a racist. I simply don’t know and neither do you. For all we know he could have marched with Dr. King; or he very well could have a basement full of confederate flags and swastikas.  None of us know him.  So because been calling games for 40+ years he should get a pass?  If he had only been with the Colts for one year and done this would you feel differently?  If it makes you feel better just say he got fire for being stupid or unprofessional in place of being racist. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

@Jared Cisneros Please inform yourself before sharing your opinion on a matter you aren't fully informed on yet.

I think the context of the joke IS the problem.  The butt of the joke is black people being lazy and only being fast when they need to be.

That's why Lamey shouldn't get a pass.  It doesn't matter if that joke was socially acceptable 30-40 years ago.

It would be different, and in a way less racist (maybe?), if he was reciting a standup routine from Chris Rock or Kevin Hart while using the N-word, but he wasn't.  He made a racist joke where the N-word is the punchline.

I saw something like this in another thread.  While Lameys LAME joke had a distinct Indiana flavor of racism, PLEASE don't think we're all like this.  There is a large albeit quiet demographic of GOOD people in Indiana.  :hat:

It wasn't Lamey's joke, it was someone else that told the joke years ago, he was just repeating what the guy had told him. I wonder how that conversation even came about? Meaning what would make Lamey think of that joke that was told to him by someone else many years ago. I wonder if the reporter asked him something about race? I have no idea. I remember many years ago there was a race car driver by the name of Willy T Ribbs and he was the only African American race car driver trying to qualify for the Indy 500. He never could qualify for years and his car was slow, maybe when the joke was told to Lamey, Ribbs was the brunt of the joke but sadly the person telling the joke used the N-word.

-Add on, Ribbs actually did finally qualify in 1991 after years of failing but didn't do very well in the Indy 500 race.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

That is a fascinating question LCF. I say that because everyone has heard the phrase "respect your elders" for the wisdom & life experience they have, but we seldom flip that coin & ask but what if age is just a shield or crutch some seasoned individuals use to never adapt & evolve? Not referring to Lamey here BTW.

Thank you.

If the elderly can learn to play Candy Crush and text back and forth with their millennial grandchildren, then they can learn to stop saying words that offend an entire race of people.

righton.jpg

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

It wasn't Lamey's joke, it was someone else that told the joke years ago, he was just repeating what the guy had told him.

Does it make a difference whether or not he made up the joke?

You know how many racist jokes I've been told before?

Guess how many I've retold to people because I thought they were "funny"...

4 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

Does it make a difference whether or not he made up the joke?

You know how many racist jokes I've been told before?

Guess how many I've retold to people because I thought they were "funny"...

It really doesn't but for some reason some people think Bob just made the joke up the other day by the way they are Posting. Bob was going to retire anyway IMO, it was time and he isn't in good health. It is what it is, he isn't racist that is for sure.

7 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

It is what it is, he isn't racist that is for sure.

But nobody knows that "for sure".

Look, I LOVE Bob Lamey, and I never would have thought he was racist.  But the fact that he told THAT joke... well... I don't know.

I'm not ready to throw him under the bus for being racist, but I will never look at him the same.

This is why we shouldn't have role models.  We're all human.  Guys like Bob Lamey have a little racism in 'em.  Guys like Peyton Manning have a little "my balls on your face" and "No those are my wife's' steroids" in 'em.  Guys like Marvin Harrison have a little "leave before I shoot" in 'em.  Guys like Dominic Rhodes have a little "I'm Ok to drive" in 'em.

Tony Dungy, Jeff Saturday and Bob Sanders have made it this far without any TMZ material, but how long will that last?

As much as I hate to say this: the days of the pedestal are over.  Our heroes are just as human as the rest of us, and unfortunately, most of them turn out to be unworthy of pedestals...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

But nobody knows that "for sure".

Look, I LOVE Bob Lamey, and I never would have thought he was racist.  But the fact that he told THAT joke... well... I don't know.

I'm not ready to throw him under the bus for being racist, but I will never look at him the same.

This is why we shouldn't have role models.  We're all human.  Guys like Bob Lamey have a little racism in 'em.  Guys like Peyton Manning have a little "my balls on your face" and "No those are my wife's' steroids" in 'em.  Guys like Marvin Harrison have a little "leave before I shoot" in 'em.  Guys like Dominic Rhodes have a little "I'm Ok to drive" in 'em.

Tony Dungy, Jeff Saturday and Bob Sanders have made it this far without any TMZ material, but how long will that last?

As much as I hate to say this: the days of the pedestal are over.  Our heroes are just as human as the rest of us, and unfortunately, most of them turn out to be unworthy of pedestals...

Yep we are all human and make mistakes. Nobody is perfect that is for sure, we all say things we regret at times. I bet the people in here that think Bob is racist have said alot of things in the past they shouldn't of as well. If they say they haven't they are lying. Does that make them a racist too? As a white male when I am at work I have to watch everything I say. I don't joke around with anyone. The N-word has never came out of my mouth and it wouldn't but now days you may something to offend someone and not even know it, then you are in trouble. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, deedub75 said:

You are usually a pretty reasonable person on here but that is so untrue. I’m ok with him being fired but that doesn’t mean I think he’s a racist. I simply don’t know and neither do you. For all we know he could have marched with Dr. King; or he very well could have a basement full of confederate flags and swastikas.  None of us know him.  So because been calling games for 40+ years he should get a pass?  If he had only been with the Colts for one year and done this would you feel differently?  If it makes you feel better just say he got fire for being stupid or unprofessional in place of being racist. 

There is the good old "the Confederate flag is racist" argument lol you guys kill me 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

I'm gonna post this for those that didnt care to read the damn story he wasnt telling a joke it was a story he was telling that someone else said the word was used in a quote so will you stop saying he made a damn racist joke

Dude, just because he didn't come up with the joke himself, doesn't mean he isn't promoting racist comedy...

2f2urc.jpg

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yep we are all human and make mistakes. Nobody is perfect that is for sure, we all say things we regret at times. I bet the people in here that think Bob is racist have said alot of things in the past they shouldn't of as well. If they say they haven't they are lying. Does that make them a racist too? As a white male when I am at work I have to watch everything I say. I don't joke around with anyone. The N-word has never came out of my mouth and it wouldn't but now days you may something to offend someone and not even know it, then you are in trouble. 

I get what you are saying but for me It is common sense

I don’t want to be known based on a label so I will never label someone else

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

There is the good old "the Confederate flag is racist" argument lol you guys kill me 

Obviously what Bob said was wrong. He should've never said the full N-Word, he made a mistake. Yeah none of us REALLY know him but I seriously doubt he is a racist. He has friends that are black and has been around black athletes his whole career. One would think if he was, several people would've came out years ago and said something. Honestly he has interviewed guys like Reggie Wayne, Marvin Harrison, Robert Mathis, Dwight Freeney, Gary Brackett and so on. When you have racial tendencies red flags go up, I have been around a few people in my time that have had those and can spot it pretty well. African American Colts players would've said something a long time ago if they thought he was. No way those guys keep quiet, JMO.

-Earlier someone had Posted that people defending Bob in here doesn't surprise him because that is how Indiana is. That is beyond laughable. Not how I was raised and I have lived here all my life. I will say one last time too, nobody is defending Bob! They are just saying this doesn't make him a bad person or a racist. We all agree he made a mistake.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

Dude, just because he didn't come up with the joke himself, doesn't mean he isn't promoting racist comedy...

2f2urc.jpg

Dude just because he repeated something someone else said doesn't mean he the leader of the KKK you guys need to calm thehell down with the attacks on him over this 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jvan1973 said:

I don’t know bob Lamey at all personally but I’ve seen nothing before this to suggest he is racist.  I think he made an error in judgement and is paying the price for that.  That alone does not make him a racist and those saying it does are being sensational as they probably don’t know the man to say if he is or isn’t just like I don’t.

The problem is he’s the voice of the Colts and it’s at a time that race relations are an all time high between team and players.  The Colts would have feed right into that controversy in a large way had they not done something with Bob.  That doesn’t mean I think he’s a racist.  In fact I think Bob just made a poor error in judgement and sometimes those have consequences.  There is a lot of ground between saying yeah I get why the Colts fired him and they were probably right and saying he has to go because he’s a racist.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Obviously what Bob said was wrong. He should've never said the full N-Word, he made a mistake. Yeah none of us REALLY know him but I seriously doubt he is a racist. He has friends that are black and has been around black athletes his whole career. One would think if he was, several people would've came out years ago and said something. Honestly he has interviewed guys like Reggie Wayne, Marvin Harrison, Robert Mathis, Dwight Freeney, Gary Brackett and so on. When you have racial tendencies red flags go up, I have been around a few people in my time that have had those and can spot it pretty well. African American Colts players would've said something a long time ago if they thought he was. No way those guys keep quiet, JMO.

-Earlier someone had Posted that people defending Bob in here doesn't surprise him because that is how Indiana is. That is beyond laughable. Not how I was raised and I have lived here all my life. I will say one last time too, nobody is defending Bob! They are just saying this doesn't make him a bad person or a racist. We all agree he made a mistake.

Everyone hates the white man it's just how it is they will say all the stupid stuff just because he was a white male. And they wanna talk about racism lol