Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Irsay cryptic tweet/Bob Lamey (Voice of the Colts) retiring (merge)


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

First of all, lets take Lamey's statement at face value and that what he said is true. As a non-american I am having hard time understanding how this is even a story, let alone one that lead to his fi

I don't think that is a good comparison. I had to read that article several times to make sense of it. He did not use the word himself to address someone or to describe someone/group of people. He was

No, in my youth I was. I enlisted at 17, got the freak out of there and never looked back. Used the GI bill and a full time job to get myself through college and earn a masters degree and go on to hav

3 minutes ago, stitches said:

First of all, lets take Lamey's statement at face value and that what he said is true. As a non-american I am having hard time understanding how this is even a story, let alone one that lead to his firing/retirement.

 

To me context is everything, there are no magical words that automatically make you a racist independent of context. How is quoting someone using the n-word held against you, unless you support the message of the person using the n-word and the message itself is meant as a derogatory slur? 

 

Would me quoting Martin Luther King using the N-word be considered racist? 

 

Would me quoting an obvious racist using the N-word be considered racist if I didn't support the message but was quoting simply to relay information? 

I agree. Great Post.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, stitches said:

First of all, lets take Lamey's statement at face value and that what he said is true. As a non-american I am having hard time understanding how this is even a story, let alone one that lead to his firing/retirement.

 

To me context is everything, there are no magical words that automatically make you a racist independent of context. How is quoting someone using the n-word held against you, unless you support the message of the person using the n-word and the message itself is meant as a derogatory slur? 

 

Would me quoting Martin Luther King using the N-word be considered racist? 

 

Would me quoting an obvious racist using the N-word be considered racist if I didn't support the message but was quoting simply to relay information? 

Call it the Pappa John effect

 

 

 

 

 the are certain words or quotes one does not use in public esp. if you are a public figure

 

  I think Lamey made a mistake 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Call it the Pappa John effect

 

 

 

 

 the are certain words or quotes one does not use in public esp. if you are a public figure

 

  I think Lamey made a mistake 

 

I don't think that is a good comparison. I had to read that article several times to make sense of it. He did not use the word himself to address someone or to describe someone/group of people. He was quoting someone else while telling a story. What's so egregious or offensive about that! Okay, the word is offensive but look at the context.

 

I agree with Stitches. This should have been a non-story. There are real stories of racism. This is not one of them. 

  • Like 7
Link to post
Share on other sites

I hope the one thing that we all can agree on is that Bob Lamey is NOT a racist.    There is no part of me that thinks that.

 

That said....    these are politically explosive times.   A person in his position simply can not tell the story and not fear that it could blow up in his face.    Note in the story it states that Lamey asked if all recording devices were turned off.   He knew the danger.

 

At best if you were paraphrasing someone else using that word you’d never ever actually say that word.   At best you’d say...   “the N-word.”  Or say...   “a word I can not say in public.”

 

But I’d prefer that people just not go there.  Don’t tell that story.   Just don’t.

Not enough to be gained and too much to lose.   John Schnatter should’ve known better too.

 

I feel bad for Bob Lamey.   A man’s career shouldn’t end like this.   But, right or wrong,  agree or disagree,  these are the times we live in.

 

 

  • Like 6
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I hope the one thing that we all can agree on is that Bob Lamey is NOT a racist.    There is no part of me that thinks that.

 

That said....    these are politically explosive times.   A person in his position simply can not tell the story and not fear that it could blow up in his face.    Note in the story it states that Lamey asked if all recording devices were turned off.   He knew the danger.

 

At best if you were paraphrasing someone else using that word you’d never ever actually say that word.   At best you’d say...   “the N-word.”  Or say...   “a word I can not say in public.”

 

But I’d prefer that people just not go there.  Don’t tell that story.   Just don’t.

Not enough to be gained and too much to lose.   John Schnatter should’ve known better too.

 

I feel bad for Bob Lamey.   A man’s career shouldn’t end like this.   But, right or wrong,  agree or disagree,  these are the times we live in.

 

 

It wasn't in public though. It was a private conversation off air overheard by another non involve employee who reported it. This is gonna get blown up and out of proportion badly. I feel for Bob. I really do. One slip up during a relaying a story shouldn't define you. But it's gonna be remembered for all time that he used it. A word used by many still today, even by those who claim to oppose it. 

 

Ive worked with at risk youth from the most violent sections of our inner cities for years now. I have to explain to each of them how they shouldn't use that word when referring to their own friends and family when others lose their careers and livelihoods for saying it once. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I do have some sympathy for Bob Lamey in this instance.  As many have said, it is a private conversation he had off the record.

 

However, anybody, let alone a public figure, has to know that you absolutely cannot use that word in any circumstance.  It has such a jarring effect (for good reason) you just have to know that, as a white person, that word cannot come out of your mouth.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, DaveA1102 said:

I do have some sympathy for Bob Lamey in this instance.  As many have said, it is a private conversation he had off the record.

 

However, anybody, let alone a public figure, has to know that you absolutely cannot use that word in any circumstance.  It has such a jarring effect (for good reason) you just have to know that, as a white person, that word cannot come out of your mouth.

I agree with you except for one part. That word should be strictened from EVERYONE's vocabulary. White, Black, green, yellow, pink, orange, brown, purple, red etc. doesn't matter. If the word can cause anger, hate, vile and cause the people used by it as a description as well as  person who used it themselves to suffer, then nobody should be using it. Period.

 

It shouldn't matter if a white person said it or a black person. It still shouldn't be used by anyone. Saying it's ok for one group to use said word but not another is actually a racist notion. Why?

 

Because one group of people is being told what they can or can't say based on the color of their skin, which essentially is controlling a group of people based on skin color, the very definition of racism.

 

:rantoff:

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Ive worked with at risk youth from the most violent sections of our inner cities for years now. I have to explain to each of them how they shouldn't use that word when referring to their own friends and family when others lose their careers and livelihoods for saying it once.

 

While I think this was overblown and someone should not have lost his job over this, I disagree with your comment above. There is a difference between someone calling a member of his/her group a derogatory word and someone from outside the group using the same word. I'm sure you can understand that. Don't you get upset when a non-Americans criticizes your country? I know I do.

 

In addition, you probably are not from that group ("risk youth from the most violent sections of our inner cities").  If you're not, those youth probably will not appreciate what you're telling them, as they can dismiss that as coming from someone who cannot relate to them. On the other hand, if a member of their own group tells them they should not use the word, that will resonate with them more. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

In addition, you probably are not from that group ("risk youth from the most violent sections of our inner cities").  If you're not, those youth probably will not appreciate what you're telling them, as they can dismiss that as coming from someone who cannot relate to them. On the other hand, if a member of their own group tells them they should not use the word, that will resonate with them more. 

I am actually. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, csmopar said:

It shouldn't matter if a white person said it or a black person. It still shouldn't be used by anyone. Saying it's ok for one group to use said word but not another is actually a racist notion. Why?

 

I think a black public figure would get in trouble for using that word. Young people using that word amongst themselves is repugnant but what are you going to do to them? Arrest them? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

 

You're from the inner city and you are "youth"?  I thought you were about my age. :sorry: 

No, in my youth I was. I enlisted at 17, got the freak out of there and never looked back. Used the GI bill and a full time job to get myself through college and earn a masters degree and go on to have a career. I dont and didn't let ancestorial history and actions define me.  

 

The only  way to heal a wound is to let it be and let it heal. Picking at it and constant reminders of those heinous days will only make it continue.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, csmopar said:

I agree with you except for one part. That word should be strictened from EVERYONE's vocabulary. White, Black, green, yellow, pink, orange, brown, purple, red etc. doesn't matter. If the word can cause anger, hate, vile and cause the people used by it as a description as well as  person who used it themselves to suffer, then nobody should be using it. Period.

 

It shouldn't matter if a white person said it or a black person. It still shouldn't be used by anyone. Saying it's ok for one group to use said word but not another is actually a racist notion. Why?

 

Because one group of people is being told what they can or can't say based on the color of their skin, which essentially is controlling a group of people based on skin color, the very definition of racism.

 

:rantoff:

 

I don't disagree that the word should just be removed from all vocabulary, but I think its connotations with being used by white people against black people for centuries mean it is especially jarring when from a white person.

 

Although it is true to say this is a type of racism, as a white male, I understand that I don't really get to complain about racism against me in comparison to literally every other social demographic. 

 

Its like Bruce Wayne moaning about the cost of milk in the poverty stricken Gotham City......come on Bruce, perspective. haha

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I hope the one thing that we all can agree on is that Bob Lamey is NOT a racist.    There is no part of me that thinks that.

 

That said....    these are politically explosive times.   A person in his position simply can not tell the story and not fear that it could blow up in his face.    Note in the story it states that Lamey asked if all recording devices were turned off.   He knew the danger.

 

At best if you were paraphrasing someone else using that word you’d never ever actually say that word.   At best you’d say...   “the N-word.”  Or say...   “a word I can not say in public.”

 

But I’d prefer that people just not go there.  Don’t tell that story.   Just don’t.

Not enough to be gained and too much to lose.   John Schnatter should’ve known better too.

 

I feel bad for Bob Lamey.   A man’s career shouldn’t end like this.   But, right or wrong,  agree or disagree,  these are the times we live in.

 

 

 

This is important IMO. 

 

As you say, he knew what he was about to say was not appropriate.  That should have been enough for him to know he shouldn't say it, whether recording equipment was on or not.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Bob made a mistake by using the N word but he isn't racist and he was telling a story so it doesn't make him a bad person either. He is old, not in good health, and wasn't thinking. The guy is human - we all make mistakes. I don't look at him any less, he is still a radio legend and deserves to be in the Ring of Honor. 

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Pacergeek said:

White people cannot use the "N" word ever. Period. End of story. Does not matter the context at all. Bob Lamey was very foolish for saying this word, and should be ashamed of himself

 

That's absurd. He did not call anyone the N-word. He was telling a story. That is a big difference. Why is it that folks can't make the distinction. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, DaveA1102 said:

 

I don't disagree that the word should just be removed from all vocabulary, but I think its connotations with being used by white people against black people for centuries mean it is especially jarring when from a white person.

 

Although it is true to say this is a type of racism, as a white male, I understand that I don't really get to complain about racism against me in comparison to literally every other social demographic. 

 

Its like Bruce Wayne moaning about the cost of milk in the poverty stricken Gotham City......come on Bruce, perspective. haha

I get it. I'm just saying that if we truly want to end racism, then we have to move on and the use of that word completely deemed unacceptable. But yet it's used everywhere, in songs, movies, books, amongst friends. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, csmopar said:

No, in my youth I was. I enlisted at 17, got the freak out of there and never looked back. Used the GI bill and a full time job to get myself through college and earn a masters degree and go on to have a career. I dont and didn't let ancestorial history and actions define me.  

 

The only  way to heal a wound is to let it be and let it heal. Picking at it and constant reminders of those heinous days will only make it continue.

 

Okay. Thanks for sharing. I don't disagree with most of that. I just think that for some, it may be harder to move on from than others. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, csmopar said:

No, in my youth I was. I enlisted at 17, got the freak out of there and never looked back. Used the GI bill and a full time job to get myself through college and earn a masters degree and go on to have a career. I dont and didn't let ancestorial history and actions define me.  

 

The only  way to heal a wound is to let it be and let it heal. Picking at it and constant reminders of those heinous days will only make it continue.

I call this the Post of the Day!!!!!

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Pacergeek said:

White people cannot use the "N" word ever. Period. End of story. Does not matter the context at all. Bob Lamey was very foolish for saying this word, and should be ashamed of himself

 

i love the high and mighty...

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, DaveA1102 said:

Although it is true to say this is a type of racism, as a white male, I understand that I don't really get to complain about racism against me in comparison to literally every other social demographic. 

 

 

oh godddddd

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/19/2018 at 3:55 PM, Coltsman1788 said:

 

 

Iconic call...

 

Edit..click on  the word "YouTube" to view it if it doesn't play here.

  It never gets old... !!

   This is the first time seeing this that I realized the Pats had 8 seconds and a timeout left. 

   It would have taken a miracle like the Vikings had last year  and I doubt it would have changed the outcome, but it’s a little surprising they didn’t try.

    Nevertheless, probably my favorite Colts game.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Pacergeek said:

White people cannot use the "N" word ever. Period. End of story. Does not matter the context at all. Bob Lamey was very foolish for saying this word, and should be ashamed of himself

As a person of color I strongly disagree with this. No one should use the “N” word. If what is said is true and he was quoting someone then I don’t see the problem.  

 

You have rappers and athletes use the “N” word. Rappers profit off of the excessive use of the “N” word.

 

you can’t be offended by an old white guy saying the “N” word when he is quoting someone and then go listen to you’re favorite rapper and jam that crap. 

 

I hate talking about this in a football forum but it needs to be said. The “N” word is horrible and should not be used by anyone including black people. 

 

All one needs today is to be offended by something and bam career ruined. Rant over I have to get to work. 

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, DaveA1102 said:

 

This is important IMO. 

 

As you say, he knew what he was about to say was not appropriate.  That should have been enough for him to know he shouldn't say it, whether recording equipment was on or not.

Again - it depends on the context. It might be as bad as @NewColtsFan suggests, but it also might be as innocent as a seasoned radio professional regular check that he's off air before he starts talking freely to his coleagues off-topic during an ads block and that he does that every time he starts talking off-air whether he's using controversial language or not. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DaveA1102 said:

I do have some sympathy for Bob Lamey in this instance.  As many have said, it is a private conversation he had off the record.

 

However, anybody, let alone a public figure, has to know that you absolutely cannot use that word in any circumstance.  It has such a jarring effect (for good reason) you just have to know that, as a white person, that word cannot come out of your mouth.

 

Are you in favor of banning books/plays like To Kill A Mockingbird or movies like Blazing Saddles or Django Unchained?

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Cynjin said:

 

Are you in favor of banning books/plays like To Kill A Mockingbird or movies like Blazing Saddles or Django Unchained?

Banning it from books and songs and other things already in existence? No. Banning it from future use for publication or profit, yes.  Why? Because while I believe we have to move on and away from racism, those books are reminder not to allow history to repeat itself, which it can if we allow it.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Banning it from books and songs and other things already in existence? No. Banning it from future use for publication or profit, yes.  Why? Because while I believe we have to move on and away from racism, those books are reminder not to allow history to repeat itself, which it can if we allow it.

 

So no one could ever put on the on the play To Kill A Mocking Bird or show the movies again?

Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Cynjin said:

 

So no one could ever put on the on the play To Kill A Mocking Bird or show the movies again?

no.  I'm saying we still allow those.  I am saying that if we're going to try to hold people accountable for using that word, Papa John, Bob Lamey, that celebrity chef from a few years back, then publishers need to stop allowing that word in NEW songs, NEW books and New movies etc. Existing can be kept as a reminder of where we came from and the painful history involved.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, csmopar said:

no.  I'm saying we still allow those.  I am saying that if we're going to try to hold people accountable for using that word, Papa John, Bob Lamey, that celebrity chef from a few years back, then publishers need to stop allowing that word in NEW songs, NEW books and New movies etc. Existing can be kept as a reminder of where we came from and the painful history involved.

 

Okay, gotcha.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, csmopar said:

no.  I'm saying we still allow those.  I am saying that if we're going to try to hold people accountable for using that word, Papa John, Bob Lamey, that celebrity chef from a few years back, then publishers need to stop allowing that word in NEW songs, NEW books and New movies etc. Existing can be kept as a reminder of where we came from and the painful history involved.

Censorship is a slippery slope. I think that people can and should police their own language and in this case, the language of others. Language evolves and it should.

 

But we cannot sanitize history.  Movies and books that show how people were, what people said are an important part of remembering history correctly.

 

I think also there's a benefit to looking back to see how things really were.  Came across this story on sexist ads this week https://www.buzzfeed.com/briangalindo/17-ridiculously-sexist-vintage-ads?utm_term=.ysp88oqlZr#.aoz55nm3xd

Sent it to my daughters.  You don't see that sort of thing anymore but, it wasn't so long ago

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Cynjin said:

 

Are you in favor of banning books/plays like To Kill A Mockingbird or movies like Blazing Saddles or Django Unchained?

Good movies.  Blazing Saddles ridiculed racism pretty effectively. What a cast!

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


  • Popular Now

  • Thread of the Week

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • Ballards really rolling the dice, LT and a 2nd round pick both coming off Achilles injuries which used to be a career ender no doubt about it, and Wentz who may or may not get back to winning football.   I wouldnt be surprised if we regress slightly this year, these moves could work out long term though if both guys recover from their injuries and Wentz settles in to his new team.
    • I am not in medicine, but the RTP rate on that study is higher than I have seen. which is good. And that's a pretty large sample of players though. Still, 26% not returning is a scary number.   Just an aside...but the Colts now have (3) players returning from Achilles tears this upcoming. At a high level, the odds all three RTP is 44%, right? Somebody that is better with statistics...tell me if I have that wrong.   Even setting aside Mack, who is on a cheap flyer contract, the odds that Dayo and Fisher both RTP is ~53%. That's quite the gamble for a $9.5M and a 2nd round pick.   Of course, that's just odds...and there are medical evaluations that provide a lot more data than a dice roll. But the odds are the still the odds, as both Dayo and Fisher are early in recovery.   Anyways...assuming Fisher is in that 76% RTP...there is also performance to consider. The studies I have read tend to point to a 1.5 year+ recovery time to return to pre-injury performance (assuming they are able to). There won't be enough time to get back to pre-injury performance this season...so he's likely to be 80% of what he was from a performance standpoint last.   Part of me wonders if this is more of a trial run to set up a 2-3 year extension to solidify LT for a few years. They are fine paying $9.5M with the risk...IF they can get a discount on the extension if he gets back.       
    • we just got a younger upgrade over AC who ranks higher in both run and pass and  a better tackle .   He will be ready colts know he will only miss 3 or 4 games in a 17 game season .  we lost AC for many games last year and with bad backups did fine still 2nd least sacks allowed in the nfl . now we have much better backup depth and tevi was a starter and holden played great last year shut down the steelers .  we will be fine and get a elite tackle be happy our oline is better now than last year by far with much more depth and a better elite tackle .   trust in ballard .
    • Is he significantly more reliable than Fisher though?    I guess that depends what we mean by reliable. Leno's health is less of a concern than Fisher's so he's more reliable in that sense. Fisher's level of play should be higher if he is healthy, however, so he's more reliable in that sense.   I definitely understand the concern but I would have been happy enough with either guy. It's not great but it's going to have to suffice.
  • Members

    • C_Lew

      C_Lew 7

      Rookie
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • ColtsLegacy

      ColtsLegacy 591

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Frenchy789

      Frenchy789 2

      Rookie
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • coming on strong

      coming on strong 1,200

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • CoachLite

      CoachLite 425

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • shasta519

      shasta519 3,067

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • neug3246

      neug3246 77

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • DoubleE Colt

      DoubleE Colt 66

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • bertjones7

      bertjones7 137

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • nzh201vs

      nzh201vs 3

      Rookie
      Joined:
      Last active:
×
×
  • Create New...