Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Irsay cryptic tweet/Bob Lamey (Voice of the Colts) retiring (merge)

Luck 4 president

Just now, PrincetonTiger said:

public figures don’t get to play the “age” card

Public figures should be held accountable for their actions just as private citizens no?

4 minutes ago, Horse Shoe Heaven said:

Wow for an old guy telling a story OH MY!!

i hope im wrong but look at Papa John, Paula Dean etc. 

2 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Public figures should be held accountable for their actions just as private citizens no?

I agree and that is why I said what I did

When you work with the public you have a higher standard 

a private citizen can get away with more only because they do not have a platform 

2 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Back then, less people made a big deal of it.

That was part of the problem with the "good ol days"...

2 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I'm just a bit more sympathetic towards him because of his age, I guess, and because of my relationship I have with my grandparents.

Look, I had a grandpa that was a blatant racist.  He used the N-word openly around me and my sister until my mom told him he wouldn't see his grandchildren anymore if he kept it up.

Did I love him until his dying day?  Yes.

Did he get a pass for being a racist because it was more "socially acceptable" in his day?  Heck NO.

• Like 5

Just now, PrincetonTiger said:

I agree and that is why I said what I did

When you work with the public you have a higher standard 

a private citizen can get away with more only because they do not have a platform 

so he was forced to resign/retire just as a private citizen.  Would a private citizen have their name sold to a media station and blasted across the globe in this situation? 

My problem isn't with holding Lamey accountable, he said it, albeit in story form, but he still shouldnt have. The Colts and him agreed to mutually part ways, then the employee who was offended wanted their day in the spotlight. This was an internal matter that should have stayed internal since it was taken care of.

1 hour ago, csmopar said:

if a word is a racial slur, bottom line is this, its a racial slur no matter who is using it.  Period. 

The more I am reading your posts the less I understand your points. If you believe what you wrote here, then why is it that you have yet to repudiate what Lamey said. In fact you defended him, as did I.

What I think I hear you saying is that you have a problem when black people use the word. Or perhaps you mean that if black people use it, then they should not complain about it. The people complaining probably don't use the word. 

1 minute ago, NFLfan said:

The more I am reading your posts the less I understand your points. If you believe what you wrote here, then why is it that you have yet to repudiate what Lamey said. In fact you defended him, as did I.

What I think I hear you saying is that you have a problem when black people use the word. Or perhaps you mean that if black people use it, then they should not complain about it. The people complaining probably don't use the word. 

see my above post. 

1 minute ago, csmopar said:

so he was forced to resign/retire just as a private citizen.  Would a private citizen have their name sold to a media station and blasted across the globe in this situation? 

My problem isn't with holding Lamey accountable, he said it, albeit in story form, but he still shouldnt have. The Colts and him agreed to mutually part ways, then the employee who was offended wanted their day in the spotlight. This was an internal matter that should have stayed internal since it was taken care of.

He had a public job 

4 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

No, I have a problem with EVERYONE who uses that word.  I'm saying that this Lamey thing is getting blown way out of proportion. That said, he said it, obviously felt guilty enough to tender his resignation/retirement and move on.  That should have been the end of it.  But no, now his name and great legacy is being destroyed because of him simply telling a story.  Thats the part I have an issue with the most.  The dude made an error in judgement during a private conversation. 

1 minute ago, PrincetonTiger said:

He had a public job 

He also was having a private conversation.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, csmopar said:

No, I have a problem with EVERYONE who uses that word.  I'm saying that this Lamey thing is getting blown way out of proportion. That said, he said it, obviously felt guilty enough to tender his resignation/retirement and move on.  That should have been the end of it.  But no, now his name and great legacy is being destroyed because of him simply telling a story. 

Doesn’t matter my family and I as teachers/school employees  could have/had face termination based upon conduct unbecoming to the school corporation 

15 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

public figures don’t get to play the “age” card

He hasn't.   Lamey hasn’t said a word in his own defense.   

Others here have in support of him.  People are simply offering context.   And part of that us being 80 years old in a world that moves way too fast and offers no forgiveness.

• Like 2

I just hate the double standards. And honestly I'm sick and tired of hearing how racist white are. Blacks have been some of the most racist people I've ever met. This is why the vicious circle will continue. Lack of history and education. Everyone wants to play the race and victim card. People are just ugly of all colors. Me? I hate everyone lol

• Like 4

Just now, NewColtsFan said:

And part of that us being 80 years old in a world that moves way too fast and offers no forgiveness.

I don't understand this argument in the defense of older folks...

Every form of discrimination is going to become less socially acceptable as time goes on.  Isn't that the way it's supposed to be?

Should we slow down progress so older folks have more time to adjust to what is right?

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Doesn’t matter my family and I as teachers/school employees  could have/had face termination based upon conduct unbecoming to the school corporation 

but would your names been made publicly available to a news outlet?

1 hour ago, Nadine said:

It has a completely different meaning among black people.  

It's demeaning and intended as demeaning from white people

How can anyone state that they know the above bolded? It might be true most of the time, but to state that emphatically? I am of white descent I use the term "white trash" when referring to some of my own relation. So me...being white..and saying this automatically infers I mean it as something other than demeaning? For the record, I was demeaning. So it is not possible for a black person to use the N word as demeaning?

I don't agree with CSMopar very much, but I agree that if the N word is demeaning, it is demeaning for all who speak it in OUR culture. I can't speak for other cultures. 

• Like 1

Just now, Four2itus said:

How can anyone state that they know the above bolded? It might be true most of the time, but to state that emphatically? I am of white decent I use the term "white trash" when referring to some of my own relation. So me...being white..and saying this automatically infers I mean it as something other than demeaning? For the record, I was demeaning. So it is not possible for a black person to use the N word as demeaning?

I don't agree with CSMopar very much, but I agree that if the N word is demeaning, it is demeaning for all who speak it in OUR culture. I can't speak for other cultures. 

Working with them

4 hours ago, Cynjin said:

I disagree the Colts are trying to let a long standing employee, with no other issues that I know of, a graceful way out.  That shows loyalty in my book, he made a mistake, one that in todays world is somehow unforgivable, the organization looks to me like they are not trying to kick a man when he is down.

Bad thing to say but people on tv are doing this crap all the time and allowed to apologize and its over this all about hypersensitivity when a white man says it. Wrong ofcourse but I hate the hypocrisy and thanks WTHR for stirring the pot, Shame on you 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

What pass did Lamey get?    None.

He lost the job he loved.   He’s humiliated in the city he lives in and now the story has gone national.

All people are asking for is a little compassion and understanding.   That’s what being 80 years old and having a spotless record up to now should get you....

Where did I say that he got a pass? Jared was saying that him being 80 meant that he should be allowed to behave that way and I strongly disagreed.

The implications for Bob are obvious and I do have sympathy for that, but he  should have known better. 

19 minutes ago, csmopar said:

No, I have a problem with EVERYONE who uses that word.  I'm saying that this Lamey thing is getting blown way out of proportion. That said, he said it, obviously felt guilty enough to tender his resignation/retirement and move on.  That should have been the end of it.  But no, now his name and great legacy is being destroyed because of him simply telling a story.  Thats the part I have an issue with the most.  The dude made an error in judgement during a private conversation. 

Thank you.

• Like 1

I would be willing to bet money If you was to talk to some older people of color that have lived in that era about some stories they would do just as BOB did and say the word also during a QUOTE. It was a quote of a story. 

I can go to just about any grocery store and find a product that is printed with a racial slur.  The think is nobody complains about that. 

Nobody should use the word really. If somebody complains about hearing the word from ANY PERSON face to face  and then goes home and listens to music with that word being said or hangs out with people of a different race then what said it and allows them to say it, that is a hypocrite. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I just hate the double standards. And honestly I'm sick and tired of hearing how racist white are. Blacks have been some of the most racist people I've ever met. This is why the vicious circle will continue. Lack of history and education. Everyone wants to play the race and victim card. People are just ugly of all colors. Me? I hate everyone lol

Just watch kat williams. I used to find him funny. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, csmopar said:

if a word is a racial slur, bottom line is this, its a racial slur no matter who is using it.  Period. Being accepting of people using it is contributing to the inequality so many are trying to end... It's hypocritical on every level. Period. 

Everyone is equal, and as such, the rules/laws/political correctness needs to be colorblind. Holding one person accountable for saying a word but not holding others of a different skin tone to that same standard is just as unfair, unequal and truly, racist in another fashion. 

Well said. I have tried and succeeded throughout my life to change the racist examples I was raised with. Yet, I have faced what I call reverse racism throughout my life. In the end, I try to engage all who I cross paths with, start conversations genuinely, and foster community. To share the truth, would reveal that the reciprocation to my efforts is unfortunately racially and culturally aligned. However, I will still do what I can in all places in life. 

We need more love in this world. 

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, DaveA1102 said:

The implications for Bob are obvious and I do have sympathy for that, but he  should have known better. 

But he was Quoting somebody. If he changed what was said then its not a quote. 

I know a lot of people who take more offense being called (female dog) then the n-word. 

I was picking up some stuff from menards the other day and the guy checking me and and out of the lumber yard had a really bad stutter.  He made a joke about it.

I thought to myself, there's something that I've never had to deal with.  Walk a mile in another persons shoes is what we would all benefit from.  

Just now, NewEra said:

Being racist against whites is still racism....

it is

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jvan1973 said:

It's a terrible word that brings up a lot of emotions,  as it should.   But I hear white people singing a long to rap songs and they don't censor themselves.   I think this is a similar circumstance.   

People do that with all kind of songs without knowing the story behind them

2 minutes ago, Nadine said:

I was picking up some stuff from menards the other day and the guy checking me and and out of the lumber yard had a really bad stutter.  He made a joke about it.

I thought to myself, there's something that I've never had to deal with.  Walk a mile in another persons shoes is what we would all benefit from.  

it is

I do it everyday I get up

This aligns with a concept and discussion I have had many times in my life about more than a few different platforms. 

What this boils down to...is intent. What are we truly offended by? Intent. Unfortunately, it is impossible to declare beyond a shadow of a doubt, the validity of intent. 

We are completely over the top today with labels. I try to understand intent. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Nadine said:

it is

Amen, as a white male who was adopted by Mexican/whites I never knew that. Till all the hate and racist crap was coming at me just cause I was white. Plain and simple. The world is ugly and all sides need to change. I just hate the damn Patriots 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

This aligns with a concept and discussion I have had many times in my life about more than a few different platforms. 

What this boils down to...is intent. What are we truly offended by? Intent. Unfortunately, it is impossible to declare beyond a shadow of a doubt, the validity of intent. 

We are completely over the top today with labels. I try to understand intent. 

Labels have been reduced a loti but are still a problem

1 minute ago, jvan1973 said:

Do you really need to know the story behind a song? If you like the song,  a lot of people song along

Yes especially if it is offensive 

5 minutes ago, Nadine said:

it is

We are ALL the subject of racism but the media brings one type up and ignores the other

• Like 2