Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Training Camp 8/18/2018 (The Finale)

TKnight24

I listened to a podcast with Greg Cosell and he said he's heard Luck hasn't looked good in training camp. If it was someone random, I wouldn't bat an eye, but Cosell is not one to throw random stuff like that for attention and he has some good connections in the league. Does anyone know what he might be meaning with that and in what way is Luck not looking good? Is it lack of zip on the ball? is it lack of long passes? Or something else? 

3 minutes ago, stitches said:

I listened to a podcast with Greg Cosell and he said he's heard Luck hasn't looked good in training camp. If it was someone random, I wouldn't bat an eye, but Cosell is not one to throw random stuff like that for attention and he has some good connections in the league. Does anyone know what he might be meaning with that and in what way is Luck not looking good? Is it lack of zip on the ball? is it lack of long passes? Or something else? 

Not sure what Greg is seeing or hearing but I’ve never heard that. The tweets I post here don’t say that either. Maybe he has a better “source” 

5 minutes ago, TKnight24 said:

Not sure what Greg is seeing or hearing but I’ve never heard that. The tweets I post here don’t say that either. Maybe he has a better “source” 

Yeah. The reports I've seen say he's looked great and if it was someone with less gravity and worse reputation, i'd probably just ignore it, but I have a ton of respect for Cosell and he's not known for hot takes. He's extremely measured and thorough with his opinions, so I was surprised and didn't know what to make of it when I heard it because it goes directly against everything we've been hearing from the local media. 

15 minutes ago, stitches said:

6 minutes ago, stitches said:

Yeah. The reports I've seen say he's looked great and if it was someone with less gravity and worse reputation, i'd probably just ignore it, but I have a ton of respect for Cosell and he's not known for hot takes. He's extremely measured and thorough with his opinions, so I was surprised and didn't know what to make of it when I heard it because it goes directly against everything we've been hearing from the local media. 

Yeah video says otherwise. Other reporters say other wise. He probably heard "andrew had a bad series only once during training camp" and missed the only once part. Assuming he heard anything at all

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, stitches said:

When Rick Venturi has been at every practice and is on record saying Andrew looks great and way ahead of where he thought he'd be, I tend to listen. I trust the old coach over Greg Cosell. Every tweet from people covering Colts camp, both National and local have pretty much said the same.

35 minutes ago, stitches said:

I haven't said this because I don't wanna seem too reactionary, and let's face it for fear of backlash, but I kinda do think his passes have lacked a certain zip. And it almost seems like his form is I don't know, going in slow motion.

Small sample size and all, I know. And there have been some passes, mostly in videos from camp, that have some power behind them. But for some reason it just looks to me like he's holding back or something.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, stitches said:

News to me, by looking at video (watch doesn't lie) and everything TKnight has Posted here and watching him at Seattle says otherwise. Sounds like the usual 1 person in the media trying stir something up that isn't true. Everyone else around our Camp and in the Indy media says Andrew looks Great. Rick Venturi says Andrew looks Great and he follows this team 24/7 - I would trust his word over Greg Cosell's.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

I haven't said this because I don't wanna seem too reactionary, and let's face it for fear of backlash, but I kinda do think his passes have lacked a certain zip. And it almost seems like his form is I don't know, going in slow motion.

Small sample size and all, I know. And there have been some passes, mostly in videos from camp, that have some power behind them. But for some reason it just looks to me like he's holding back or something.

If I have to be fair, I have the same worry and I see the same thing. That's why i included it in what he might have meant. Even yesterday, when they released that video of ... a receiver beating Ravens' corner downfield... the pass floated a bit in the air and was kind of short and the receiver had to turn and wait for the ball to arrive. The pass interference vs the Seahawks lacked the required zip on the ball too. A couple of his incompletions to TY lacked zip too... 

1 minute ago, stitches said:

If I have to be fair, I have the same worry and I see the same thing. That's why i included it in what he might have meant. Even yesterday, when they released that video of ... a receiver beating Ravens' corner... the pass was short and the receiver had to turn and wait for the ball to arrive. The pass interference vs the Seahawks lacked the required zip on the ball too. 

It was 1 pass and he is still going to have passes like that, he hasn't played in a Regular Season game since December of 2016. Actually if we put a microscope on every QB in the league, I bet even Aaron Rodgers has had some bad passes in Camp just from being rusty coming off his injury. Andrew looks Great to me, Camp has been going on all month and I haven't heard 1 negative thing about Andrew until now. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

It was 1 pass and he is still going to have passes like that, he hasn't played in a Regular Season game since December of 2016. Actually if we put a microscope on every QB in the league, I bet even Aaron Rodgers has had some bad passes in Camp just from being rusty coming off his injury. Andrew looks Great to me, Camp has been going on all month and I haven't heard 1 negative thing about Andrew until now. 

Agreed! I mean, “hasn’t looked good” is relative to what we are comparing him too. The old Andrew before injury? He’s been back for a VERY short amount of time, and has admitted that he isn’t where he would like to be yet. Monday will be the tell of the tape for everyone to see the truth. Even then we have to remember he hasn’t even played a real game in over a year. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I haven't heard anything negative either, but I do see lack of zip on the ball from most videos that leak and there were instances of lack of zip in the Seahawks game too. 

Yes, everything is positive so far when we realize he's not been throwing for 18 months and the very fact that he hasn't had a setback is very encouraging... but... IMO his arm-strength is nowhere close to where it used to be judging by those videos.... now it's possible that he's taking something off those throws and doesn't want to go all out and it's possible it's all by plan as part of his program, but I do see exactly what @Fisticuffs111 mentioned in his post. I didn't want to be a Debbie Downer so far so I've avoided mentioning anything about the zip on the ball, but when I watch him throw I do see it. 

• Like 1

To be fair to Cosell (if he is talking about a lack of zip), both Kevin Bowen and a writer on SB said earlier on in camp that Luck lacked some zip on the ball. It was the only time I've seen either say it, but it has been mentioned, not just coming out of thin air.

I'm also not trying to be a Debbie Downer, just pointing out what I've read and seen from videos.

2 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

To be fair to Cosell (if he is talking about a lack of zip), both Kevin Bowen and a writer on SB said earlier on in camp that Luck lacked some zip on the ball. It was the only time I've seen either say it, but it has been mentioned.

Hasn’t there been mentions of him slinging it too? Genuinely curious not trying to rock the boat 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

I wondered the same thing watching Luck to Brisset in the preseason game seemed like Brissets passes were coming out with a lot more zip . 

https://www.podcastone.com/episode/2018-Preseason-Podcast-3

Here's the podcast ^ The part about Luck starts at about 59:00. He said specifically this is not his opinion and that this is what he's heard from someone who's at Colts camp.  He did NOT say anything specific(not about the zip or about anything really), just that he hasn't been looking very good. 

The zip thing was me wondering what the person who told him that meant, because this is the thing I've noticed.

1 minute ago, adubb84 said:

Hasn’t there been mentions of him slinging it too? Genuinely curious not trying to rock the boat 

Oh definitely. Not trying to say he hasn't, there's a few videos from camp where he's throwing a dart or two, and he's definitely made long passes.

• Like 1

I wouldn’t expect Luck to have all the zip and power on the ball yet. He’s said as much himself. His arm is getting stronger and stronger every day. With that logic, you can go ahead and assume that he’s not getting his max power behind the ball. We aren’t even to September yet, I think it’ll be okay. Lol

• Like 3

if There was a history of his procedure causing a lack of arm strength permanently, I haven’t heard anyone mention it.  I’ve always assumed he would be ready for camp with no real pain.  I never thought he would be up to par timing wise or zip wise.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CamMo said:

I wouldn’t expect Luck to have all the zip and power on the ball yet. He’s said as much himself. His arm is getting stronger and stronger every day. With that logic, you can go ahead and assume that he’s not getting his max power behind the ball. We aren’t even to September yet, I think it’ll be okay. Lol

Yeah, this is kinda what I meant by holding back. I wouldn't be surprised if he's kind of taking things slow in practice, not totally letting it rip every pass, day in and day out.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, stitches said:

I haven't heard anything negative either, but I do see lack of zip on the ball from most videos that leak and there were instances of lack of zip in the Seahawks game too. 

Yes, everything is positive so far when we realize he's not been throwing for 18 months and the very fact that he hasn't had a setback is very encouraging... but... IMO his arm-strength is nowhere close to where it used to be judging by those videos.... now it's possible that he's taking something off those throws and doesn't want to go all out and it's possible it's all by plan as part of his program, but I do see exactly what @Fisticuffs111 mentioned in his post. I didn't want to be a Debbie Downer so far so I've avoided mentioning anything about the zip on the ball, but when I watch him throw I do see it. 

I really haven't noticed that much of a drop off in his zip, maybe a little but that should be expected. He is still technically working his way back to true game play after not playing since December 2016. 

Ah, the "zip" conversation. It had to happen I suppose. It might be an issue, it might not be. Let's see more.

The word I've seen is "rusty" and every beat reporter in the tweet thread has mentioned it. Is rust wildly different than "not good"?

Just now, The Fish said:

Ah, the "zip" conversation. It had to happen I suppose. It might be an issue, it might not be. Let's see more.

The word I've seen is "rusty" and every beat reporter in the tweet thread has mentioned it. Is rust wildly different than "not good"?

I think it's more of him being rusty and not playing/throwing in such a longtime. His zip isn't there at 100% yet so I guess if someone Posts that, they wouldn't be wrong.  

I’ve been to a few practices and luck has looked better than expected and he does put zip on it when needed. Luck made a pass to Doyle this week during practice that had a lot of zip on it. Ball was placed exactly where it had to be and came out hot. I think it was even in that mic’d Up video of luck. 

Regarding overthrowing or underthrowing, he’s still learning how fast/slow a lot of these receivers are. He hasn’t played in forever and hasn’t a played with some of these guys before. He’ll be fine, if the people in charge of the colts aren’t worried, I’m not worried. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, stitches said:

Ya'll will believe anything smh....please look at the footage

• Like 1

It’s odd that Cossell heard Luck has not looked good. He’s thrown around a 70% completion rate throughout all of the practices and 1 preseason game.

He’s thrown a lot more quicker passes and check downs, and maybe that’s why he hasn’t looked as impressive? He’s not driving the ball down field as much and perhaps not willing to throw deep as often? Couple that with lack of zip and maybe that’s the reason for the comment?

Luck never had a cannon imo anyways. He's not Chad Pennington,but his zip looks pretty good for someone thats been through what he's been through. He still seems to throw a lil too many ints imo. But I've been impressed with the vids I've seen and he seems to get stronger every week. Hopefully he keeps improving

2 minutes ago, GusFring said:

Luck never had a cannon imo anyways. He's not Chad Pennington,but his zip looks pretty good for someone thats been through what he's been through. He still seems to throw a lil too many ints imo. But I've been impressed with the vids I've seen and he seems to get stronger every week. Hopefully he keeps improving

Too many INTs still? 

Luck is fine. He wouldn't have been cleared for NFL action by our dr's.

The zip factor is simple, he's probably thrown 100 or so passes in like 18 months, of course he might not have a rocket laser right now.

Looked more then capable as an NFL QB last week.