Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Training Camp 8/17/2018

TKnight24

2 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Pagano benched Trent Richardson.  Not only benched him, he deactivated him.

He also benched Vontae Davis too.

1 hour ago, jskinnz said:

You are batting the Blutarsky this week - you know 0.00.

RG3 still in the league - it's been in the news.

The Pagano never benching anyone is nonsense.  He deserved to be gone but there is some revisionist history going on to fit people's narrative on the guy.  Trent Richardson got benched and deactivated.  There are other examples as well but TR is just the most well-known.

And how long did that take? 

3 hours ago, Flash7 said:

I think a good defense is top 1/3 in the league, while an average defense would fall between 1/3-2/3.

A bad defense would be in the last third. I think this is where the Colts Defense will rank. 

What constitutes each third? 

Yards allowed? Points allowed? Turnovers forced? 

You can give the most yardage up in the league and statistically be the best defense across the rest of the board... so I am just curious.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

What constitutes each third? 

Yards allowed? Points allowed? Turnovers forced? 

You can give the most yardage up in the league and statistically be the best defense across the rest of the board... so I am just curious.

I understand your point. 

I was basing my comment on yards allowed, however, I don't think the Colts will rank high in any of those categories -- possibly bottom third in all of those.

16 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

And what does that matter at this point?  You said he never benched anyone.

jskinnz was correct in what he said about peoples narrative.

Perhaps. Regardless, I'm actually cautiously excited for this season 

16 minutes ago, Flash7 said:

I understand your point. 

I was basing my comment on yards allowed, however, I don't think the Colts will rank high in any of those categories -- possibly bottom third in all of those.

It is way too early to judge how any team is going to do with only 1 pre-season and a few practices under their belts.

What the coaches are looking at are bubble players and different lineups at this point.

We can all have our different opinions but till the season starts we just never know.

7 minutes ago, Superman said:

I'm pleasantly surprised by some of these reports. I wonder if tomorrow's practice will wind up going in the Colts favor as well. 

Really looking forward to Monday night. 

I'm hoping it's our D being better than we thought and not a cause of jetlag by the ravens

45 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

It is way too early to judge how any team is going to do with only 1 pre-season and a few practices under their belts.

What the coaches are looking at are bubble players and different lineups at this point.

We can all have our different opinions but till the season starts we just never know.

I agree, it’s a bit early.

But we have a good idea of what the defensive roster looks like. 

Imagine that JJ Watt, Aaron Donald, Suh, J. Ramsey, X Rhodes, P.Peterson, L. Collins, Keuchly, Bosa, and Mack somehow joined the Colts today. We can safely say we’d have a good defense, and there would be no problems with that opinion. They’re proven and talented players.

Our defense is full of a bad cast. They will have to beat the odds and play above their talent level to be good. Simply, we lack too much talent for me to think we’d be better than the bottom third — and it’s where we’ll most likely finish. Just my opinion at this point.

5 minutes ago, csmopar said:

I'm hoping it's our D being better than we thought and not a cause of jetlag by the ravens

I don't think much of the Ravens offense anyways, so I'm not getting too excited even if the starters look dominant on Monday. Still, it's better than struggling. Kind of shows the test the defense gets going against Luck every day.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Flash7 said:

Imagine that JJ Watt, Aaron Donald, Suh, J. Ramsey, X Rhodes, P.Peterson, L. Collins, Keuchly, Bosa, and Mack somehow joined the Colts today. We can safely say we’d have a good defense, and there would be no problems with that opinion. They’re proven and talented players.

Our defense is full of a bad cast. They will have to beat the odds and play above their talent level to be good. Simply, we lack too much talent for me to think we’d be better than the bottom third — and it’s where we’ll most likely finish. Just my opinion at this point.

We have yet to see all of out anticipated starters on defense on the field at the same time. We may not see that till we are already in the season.  At this point we have not even seen a game plan.  We are very young so yes I agree there will be some rough spots but IMO they will get better with some game time under their belts. 

3 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Read the entire thread and I'm very impressed with this team right now. Hopefully there's more of this to come as we get closer to the regular season. I'm starting to think we have a lot of good players, we just need to be healthy. 

Yeah health is obviously real important. I think this team with Luck now healthy, TY is healthy as well is miles ahead of last years team at this time.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah health is obviously real important. I think this team with Luck now healthy, TY is healthy as well is miles ahead of last years team at this time.

I'm very curious to see this defense in action once Hooker, Geathers and Lewis come back. That's when we can make an honest assessment if we will be a bottom feeder again, or if maybe we can become a top-half defense. The pieces are there for sure. Leonard gets me all giddy whenever he gets an INT. I see so much potential in him. Also nice to see Nelson holding his own against Brandon Williams. This whole class has the potential to be very good for us. They are all contributing in some way.

• Like 1

Just now, Jared Cisneros said:

I'm very curious to see this defense in action once Hooker, Geathers and Lewis come back. That's when we can make an honest assessment if we will be a bottom feeder again, or if maybe we can become a top-half defense. The pieces are there for sure. Leonard gets me all giddy whenever he gets an INT. I see so much potential in him. Also nice to see Nelson holding his own against Brandon Williams. This whole class has the potential to be very good for us. They are all contributing in some way.

Yeah I think our Defensive Roster is much better than last year. I am not sure where we will rank on Defense? That is a tough call. Even if we are 20th or so that would be a huge improvement over last season. Our Offense with Luck back will be Top 10ish and always give us a good chance to win close games as well. I like Leonard alot, Sheard is a Good player, Big Al is is Good, if Hooker gets healthy look out! TJ Green even had a Great day today, yeah freakin TJ :banana:

• Like 2

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah I think our Defensive Roster is much better than last year. I am not sure where we will rank on Defense? That is a tough call. Even if we are 20th or so that would be a huge improvement over last season. Our Offense with Luck back will be Top 10ish and always give us a good chance to win close games as well. I like Leonard alot, Sheard is a Good player, Big Al is is Good, if Hooker gets healthy look out! TJ Green even had a Great day today, yeah freakin TJ :banana:

The TJ highlights were fun. I hope he learned something during the offseason to improve his game and it wasn't just a lucky coincidence. If he can turn himself into a serviceable player, that will be a big deal for our secondary.

I think we are a top ten offense. I just hope Luck doesn't solely focus on TY again like he used too. The defense I would guess will finish close to 20th in points allowed and maybe 22nd-24th in yards allowed. We need another piece or two (A CB and a pass rusher), but we are definitely getting there. Hooker and Geathers, along with this draft class will be a HUGE boost IMO.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Flash7 said:

I'm not sure I'd call it a bad cast. More like an unproven cast. At one point, every super star draftee and FA has had to prove their worth. Now I'm not saying any of these guys will be super stars, but they don't have to be either. Even Average players will help this team a TON

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, csmopar said:

I'm not sure I'd call it a bad cast. More like an unproven cast. At one point, every super star draftee and FA has had to prove their worth. Now I'm not saying any of these guys will be super stars, but they don't have to be either. Even Average players will help this team a TON

What I see and read about is the vastly improved talent across the whole team.  Young and hungry players turn into good if not great players. I think when they all learn to play as a team the Colts will be in contention. Like you said, there may not be any super stars but those are not need to win. We have so ,any new team members it will take some time and patience.

Looking up as far as I am concerned.

• Like 1

I'd honestly throw Smith in at RT and let him learn. Good seems injury prone this far in his career. 

Hopefully Slauson could help make the rookies job easier.

If he's a trainwreck you go back to Howard or Goode. I think with Luck being able to at least see the rush from that side it could work until he learns the ropes.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Superman said:

I'm pleasantly surprised by some of these reports. I wonder if tomorrow's practice will wind up going in the Colts favor as well. 

Really looking forward to Monday night. 

This team is way better than they are given credit for. I've put a lot of money where my mouth is at almost 5-1 to win the division and around 40 -1 to win it all . Just added to it Luck being MVP at 33-1.  The defense is going to surprise people and Luck will dominate. You will also see how bad the previous coaching staff was. 

• Like 3

I just wonder: is our starting right tackle not yet on the roster? There may be a few interesting cuts from other teams, and perhaps CB has a shot at landing one. Imagine the possibilities! We could cut an under-performing lineman to make room, and have a VERY solid wall in front of AL. 

Ahh, to dream...

1 minute ago, dw49 said:

This team is way better than they are given credit for. I've put a lot of money where my mouth is at almost 5-1 to win the division and around 40 -1 to win it all . Just added to it Luck being MVP at 33-1.  The defense is going to surprise people and Luck will dominate. You will also see how bad the previous coaching staff was. 

Love your optimism. I would put my money where my mouth is and say we have at least a winning season at 9-7. I am optimistic as well. I have seen several 2-14 to 5-11 predictions throughout the media. If those people bet they would be poor.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, dw49 said:

I like the potential of this team too, but you are, IMO, way too optimistic. This is a transitional year, with many young, inexperienced players likely to play and possibly start for the Colts. That means its a growing period; full of optimism, but not necessarily wins. It is going to take at least another year to climb the ladder to contenders. But the trend is positive; the leadership in the front office is finally competent; and Andrew Luck is back. The future is very bright, and this team will be fun to watch. 

27 minutes ago, dw49 said:

Yea already got a got a guy who wants to bet 20 on the bengals because he doent think Luck will be the same

2 minutes ago, Stephen said:

He meant something pagano never did til it was too late

That is not what he said.

Not trying to be argumentative but he is fully capable of expressing himself. Any adage from you is your own speculation as to what he meant.

The benching of a 3rd or 4th string player in a practice is not worth a second thought so it's no big deal in the first place.

55 minutes ago, Hoose said:

I like the potential of this team too, but you are, IMO, way too optimistic. This is a transitional year, with many young, inexperienced players likely to play and possibly start for the Colts. That means its a growing period; full of optimism, but not necessarily wins. It is going to take at least another year to climb the ladder to contenders. But the trend is positive; the leadership in the front office is finally competent; and Andrew Luck is back. The future is very bright, and this team will be fun to watch. 

Odds are 50-1 to win SB , 4.5-1 to win division and 33-1 against Luck being MVP. It's my opinion that I'm getting way the best of it. I'm not saying they are favorites to do any of that stuff. My point is they will be much better than predicted , thus those are IMO good bets.

38 minutes ago, WoolMagnet said:

I seem to remember the word was Grigs told Pagano who to play and bench.  This was part of the problem.

The thing is we will never know exactly what was being done by who without rumors and facts being tossed around. When things go south there is so much speculation and blame that is brought up a lot of the real problems get overlooked.

What you say could be true and that is why Irsay didn't fire Pagano at the same time he did Grigson but he sure didn't do Pagano any favors by putting him in the position he was put in.

10 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

The thing is we will never know exactly what was being done by who without rumors and facts being tossed around. When things go south there is so much speculation and blame that is brought up a lot of the real problems get overlooked.

What you say could be true and that is why Irsay didn't fire Pagano at the same time he did Grigson but he sure didn't do Pagano any favors by putting him in the position he was put in.

Its amazing that a couple years later, and two (primary) changes (grigs and pags), how much different the whole  organization feels.  Now hopefully we will see some of that on the field as we improve this roster over the next couple years.

15 hours ago, Smoke317 said:

How can anyone not love playing with Luck?  Seems like a great teammate and leader.  I could watch tape of Luck mic’d up all the time. 

Agreed.

However, I REALLY liked how EVERYONE, coaches included, were under some pressure (eggshells) from the "Manning factor."

11 minutes ago, WoolMagnet said:

Its amazing that a couple years later, and two (primary) changes (grigs and pags), how much different the whole  organization feels.  Now hopefully we will see some of that on the field as we improve this roster over the next couple years.

Yeah but I am tempering my expectations this early.  I know a lot of members are very excited and are expecting this team to be in contention this season. With that said there are so many things that have to fall together for that to be true.  I can understand why there are those who don't think the Colts will have that many wins.

44 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Yeah but I am tempering my expectations this early.  I know a lot of members are very excited and are expecting this team to be in contention this season. With that said there are so many things that have to fall together for that to be true.  I can understand why there are those who don't think the Colts will have that many wins.

Another couple drafts away realistically. 

Andrew is the wildcard as to whether we have a shot at a wildcard.  We're far away from any run tho, imo.

I am optimistic (very) that we are headed in the right direction.

1 minute ago, WoolMagnet said:

Another couple drafts away realistically. 

Andrew is the wildcard as to whether we have a shot at a wildcard.  We're far away from any run tho, imo.

I am optimistic (very) that we are headed in the right direction.

My main focus is on the two drafts and FA classes that Ballard brought in so far. Those are what will improve this team drastically. Honestly, the two draft classes haven't got a lot of time to show what they can truly do yet as they've been heavily injured so far. With Hooker, Turay, Lewis and Mack coming back at the start of the season, we should be a different team. The only real concern for me at this point is the WR depth and the CBs. Besides that, we should have a chance to field a great team everywhere else. The pass rush may be somewhat weak at the OLB position, but at least we addressed it at the DE position to get more pressure. One more draft that hits on a few key positions (especially with the Jets 2nd rounder), and that could put us over the top.