Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Training Camp 8/16/2018

TKnight24

25 minutes ago, P'Son said:

Simon is the SuperStud.  Better have him on the field 95% of the time.

I didn't understand the pre-season possibility of Simon being benched. He was one of the few bright spots on our defense last season. Was it the new scheme that would have demoted Simon?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Pacergeek said:

I didn't understand the pre-season possibility of Simon being benched. He was one of the few bright spots on our defense last season. Was it the new scheme that would have demoted Simon?

I believe so. Simon is a 3-4 guy, and we are mainly running a 4-3 defense now. We also drafted Turay and Lewis, so it was thought Simon may fade away. With Turay and Lewis being hurt though, Simon has risen up and has proven he can play in a 4-3 defense.

22 minutes ago, MB-ColtsFan said:

Which to me is odd.  Didn't Basham play a 4-3 in college?  Not sure why he's not playing well??  I really thought Simon would be the odd man out here.  Glad Simon's picking it up, though!

Both Simon and Basham played 4-3 in college. Basham had a random rookie year of learning the stand-up side of a 3-4. Now he is back to something he is more familiar with but he still needs to learn and get better. After the year is over I see him being a stronger player.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, IinD said:

Definitely looking like it's gonna be one of those Manning years where we'll have to win 40-37 weekly with how this defense seems to be trending. 

It may start that way, but I think as we get some injured guys back and our starters get more reps together it'll start to shape up.

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, IinD said:

Definitely looking like it's gonna be one of those Manning years where we'll have to win 40-37 weekly with how this defense seems to be trending. 

I agree. We not beating the eagles patriots and texans without scoring 30 plus

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MB-ColtsFan said:

Which to me is odd.  Didn't Basham play a 4-3 in college?  Not sure why he's not playing well??  I really thought Simon would be the odd man out here.  Glad Simon's picking it up, though!

I know this will be unpopular around here, but I will say it, Basham is a bust. Coaches were being extremely optimistic somehow having Basham over Simon 

13 minutes ago, Stephen said:

I agree. We not beating the eagles patriots and texans without scoring 30 plus

Not too many teams not scoring 30+ points are going to win games against the Eagles, Patriots or the Texans.  The rules have evolved to have teams score more. Not too many defensive games played anymore.

2 minutes ago, Pacergeek said:

I know this will be unpopular around here, but I will say it, Basham is a bust. Coaches were being extremely optimistic somehow having Basham over Simon 

nah Basham is going to have a stellar year during the season. He might even get 10+ sacks

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, IndyD4U said:

Lots of conclusion drawn after 1 preseason game. Can we at least get a game or 2 into the regular season?

1 preseason game in, & half of the (presumed) defensive starters haven't even played a snap yet. I don't get it. Sometimes I think we put a little too much stock into what the local media & Rick Venturi say after the offense has a good day against a depleted first unit defense.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DaColts85 said:

Both Simon and Basham played 4-3 in college. Basham had a random rookie year of learning the stand-up side of a 3-4. Now he is back to something he is more familiar with but he still needs to learn and get better. After the year is over I see him being a stronger player.

I went back and watched his snaps in the Seattle game and his burst off the line and his athleticism looked really good. He just does not have much in the arsenal in terms of secondary pass rush moves yet. He needs to get a lot better with his hands. Guys can be really good in college with just a speed rush alone, but to make it in the league you've got to have the "crafty, old man" moves as well. He also stunted inside a lot during the game and just got engulfed by the guards and center. That is definitely not his forte.

7 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

1 preseason game in, & half of the (presumed) defensive starters haven't even played a snap yet. I don't get it. Sometimes I think we put a little too much stock into what the local media & Rick Venturi say after the offense has a good day against a depleted first unit defense.

Not to derail the thread, but it definitely seems like guys get hurt a lot more nowadays.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, IinD said:

Not to derail the thread, but it definitely seems like guys get hurt a lot more nowadays.

Aside from Cain, none of these injuries are serious though, just normal bumps & bruises that you'd expect after 3 weeks of big boy football practice. Most seem to be muscle pulls, hamstrings, etc, & guys are being sidelined more as a precaution than anything.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pacergeek said:

Far too early to say that. He might be, but he was also drafted as a 4-3 DE and then asked to learn a 3-4 OLB position under a coach who frankly had never really developed a single 3-4 OLB in his history with the Colts.  Give it to at least mid season to see how he does. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Far too early to say that. He might be, but he was also drafted as a 4-3 DE and then asked to learn a 3-4 OLB position under a coach who frankly had never really developed a single 3-4 OLB in his history with the Colts.  Give it to at least mid season to see how he does. 

I think Pacergeek's philosophy is to call practically every player a bust and then when one of them is proven to be a bust he can say, "See I told you" and ignore all attempts to discuss the other 90% that he was incorrect about.

Watch, pretty soon he will also mention how it's "taboo to criticize Ballard."

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

I think Pacergeek's philosophy is to call practically every player a bust and then when one of them is proven to be a bust he can say, "See I told you" and ignore all attempts to discuss the other 90% that he was incorrect about.

Watch, pretty soon he will also mention how it's "taboo to criticize Ballard."

I didn't even pay attention to who posted it or id not commented. He's just a troll. EVERY POST is negative

• Like 2