Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Who is the team to beat in our division?

CR91

It’s the jags no question. They have the worst QB in the division but they only need him to be a game manager. Remember, they were 1 blown call away from going to the super bowl, and I guarantee Foles wouldn’t have picked them apart like the patriots. They’ve got talent across the board. I would say their weakest spots are WR and OL. 

Its going to to be a fun year though. We’ve got 2 new head coaches in the division so really it’s anybodys guess who will come out on top without proven coaches. Mariota was trash last year but maybe a new OC will help him. Deshaun Watson is exciting and hopefully JJ can stay healthy. 

6 hours ago, Matthew Gilbert said:

If I were a Houston fan, I'm more concerned about Watson staying healthy than being figured out. I'm not saying guys don't get figured out but when you watch him play, I have a hard time seeing how you stop him at this juncture. He was just so elusive in the pocket and giving his guys time to get open. As a defensive coordinator how do you stop him? 

same way you attack Vick, you go after him 

4 hours ago, CR91 said:

same way you attack Vick, you go after him 

Offensive coaching is much better now than it was 15 years ago. As dynamic as Vick was back then, with the right coaching staff he'd be a serious problem now. The mush rush, keep him in the pocket and force him to throw plan would get destroyed these days.

Watson still has some work to do as a pocket passer to fulfill his potential, and he needs to be more consistently accurate (same for Mariota, actually), but if they handle him properly he can be a top notch QB. 

28 minutes ago, Matthew Gilbert said:

Bring the house and he'll kill you with quick hitters. Watson is pretty advanced as a passer and I don't think pressure is the answer for him. It's going to take a true chess master to figure him out. 

Hes not at the level where you can call him an advanced passer. Hes far from polished

1 hour ago, Superman said:

Offensive coaching is much better now than it was 15 years ago. As dynamic as Vick was back then, with the right coaching staff he'd be a serious problem now. The mush rush, keep him in the pocket and force him to throw plan would get destroyed these days.

Watson still has some work to do as a pocket passer to fulfill his potential, and he needs to be more consistently accurate (same for Mariota, actually), but if they handle him properly he can be a top notch QB. 

Neither would man to man coverage work especially if theres no spy. He'll just run as to death. Id rather blitz him with a spy following pursuit in case he escapes with zone coverage behind it

20 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Hes not at the level where you can call him an advanced passer. Hes far from polished

Comments like this lead me to believe that you've never seen Deshaun Watson play football. The next time you have 22 minutes to spare, watch the video below and tell me he's not "polished".

21 minutes ago, Matthew Gilbert said:

Comments like this lead me to believe that you've never seen Deshaun Watson play football. The next time you have 22 minutes to spare, watch the video below and tell me he's not "polished".

Trust me I have. Nice highlights, but not the whole story

On 8/15/2018 at 8:17 PM, The Fish said:

If you actually do say that out loud, you'll hear it and think "that can't be right" and change your prediction.

I do love the comic relief responses especially when they are tucked in between serious breakdowns of all the AFC South division rivalries. Thanks for this Fish!

Plus, associating Jacksonville with winning is like trying to convince yourself that brussel sprouts & beats is more appetizing than a juicy steak & pie for dessert. You can do it, but why bother? haha

• Like 1

Honestly, the team in our division that scares me the most is Houston. I still remember Watson vs Seattle before he got hurt & that QB can beat you from the pocket just like when Wilson won his ring vs the Broncos in 2013. JJ Watt needs to change his workout regiment. Less flipping of tractor tires & more running & endurance stuff. Gotta be smart with your back & spine as you age my man.

The Jags don't scare me because I know Tom Coughlin's formula from his NY days. Hit the QB & move him off his spot so that by the 4th QTR he's seeing ghost pass rushers like Brady did in 2007. Jalen Ramsey is just the latest version of Richard Sherman from his heyday in the Pacific NW. He's just trying to build his brand as a trash talker for endorsement deals to set him up financially after football is over. As long as Bortles is there, the Jags win no hardware.

I still can't get a read on Mariotta. He can throw the ball well, but he gets injured a lot. I do respect Malcolm Butler a lot who will be driven to prove he's still an elite secondary assassin.

As far as INDY is concerned, our defense isn't where it needs to be yet. Luck can actually climb the pocket now or should I say the line isn't collapsing in front of him like it used to. HC Reich is getting the offense into a rhythm to instill confidence into his QB gradually & I like that. All I wanna see from Andrew is a quick release, throw the ball out of bounds more to reduce turnovers, & just stay upright. All I want is Luck to believe I can still play ball at full speed & thrive this yr. Just get your mojo back Chewbacca. Playoffs isn't the priority this season to me.

1 hour ago, Matthew Gilbert said:

The next time you have 22 minutes to spare, watch the video below and tell me he's not "polished".

That's a long highlight reel Matthew. I know; I know. You didn't create it. It's impressive no doubt.

I gained so much respect from Watson after that Seattle game when the Legion Of Boom was still the Legion Of Boom! I literally said during that game "holy s**t! That man is legit & the real deal."

If Watson is healthy, he's extremely dangerous & the Texans finally found their missing piece. I like Watson a great deal even as a rival to my Colts.

4 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Texans O line might be a weak link.  Watson's skill set offsets a lot of that.  But...

This division could club each other in the matchups.  What are the chances each team ends up 3 - 3 in the AFC South when it is all done?

That wouldn't surprise me at all.

4 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Texans O line might be a weak link.  Watson's skill set offsets a lot of that.  But...

This division could club each other in the matchups.  What are the chances each team ends up 3 - 3 in the AFC South when it is all done?

Those chances could happen. I have the Colts, Texans, and Titans all at 8.5 wins for my personal Over/Under. I have the Jags at 10.5, that is how even this Division is. Jags should be the favored with their Great Defense+the Run they had last season in the Playoffs. They will probably win 10 games but they are beatable with an inconsistent QB in Bortles. We may not have 1 team with a losing record in the Division. The worst team may be 8-8 and best team may be 10-6?

I obviously think the division is going to be tough.  The Texans have that good defense and Watson back, the Jags got a top 3 defense in the league and the Titans aren't a bad team.  No easy divisional games anymore!  I think I'd lead towards the Texans as long as Watson doesn't get injured or have a sophomore slump.  The Jags D is great but Bortles lost all of his receivers and his line isn't the best so they'll lean on Fornette a lot.  The Titans don't scare me as much, but there still a solid team.  If Andrew Luck can be himself and stay healthy, the Colts have a chance in every game.  The first 5 games are key though, toughest stretch of the season imo.  If they can start 2-3 or better, they'll have a chance.  I like the Colts flying under the radar.  Should be a fun season!