Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Stephen Holder leaving the IndyStar

Steamboat_Shaun

Holder was solid. I know he's taken a stand against the corporation that owns the Star, doesn't surprise me he's leaving. 

I wonder if Mike Wells is affected. I definitely prefer Holder's work, though Wells seems okay on a personal level. If Holder is leaving the Colts beat, it's a major loss for us fans, IMO. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Superman said:

Holder was solid. I know he's taken a stand against the corporation that owns the Star, doesn't surprise me he's leaving. 

I wonder if Mike Wells is affected. I definitely prefer Holder's work, though Wells seems okay on a personal level. If Holder is leaving the Colts beat, it's a major loss for us fans, IMO. 

Totally agree.  I would like to at least hear his takes on the Colts from time to time, if he's off of the beat.  I thought he handled the Dakich attacks very professionally and did not overbearingly counter-punch nor did he succumb to them.  

• Thanks 1

Holder is a very good beat reporter and I also enjoyed the Chopping Wood podcast he did with Zak Keefer.  Often gave more insight than many podcasts and so was always a good listen.

Wish him all the best and, unfortunately, seems to follow the trend of local news staff numbers dwindling.

• Like 1

Holder was one of my favorite reporters on the beat. Too bad we are losing him. I wonder where he goes now. The Athletic has been snatching all the good reporters/writers from around the country and across different sports. I might have to subscribe to them finally if he goes there too...  

18 hours ago, Superman said:

He was doing AMAs on the the Colts subreddit channel for awhile, & I thoroughly enjoyed those, as well as his interviews on JMV. He was always very responsive on Twitter as well, so like you said, fairly sizable loss for Colts fans.

8 hours ago, Myles said:

"Proud of what we accomplished"?    What did he accomplish in 5 years?

He held down a job writing for a newspaper in that span, & considering the sharp decline of newspaper readership, that's no small feat, & it sounds like he'll be continuing to do what he loves in a new opportunity. 

4 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

He held down a job writing for a newspaper in that span, & considering the sharp decline of newspaper readership, that's no small feat, & it sounds like he'll be continuing to do what he loves in a new opportunity. 

The Gannett Company has begun to nationalize their papers 

On 8/14/2018 at 5:38 PM, Superman said:

I was thinking this, then saw your post. I would definitely prefer Holder to cover Indy over Wells.  But yeah, most likely not going to happen.

1 hour ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

He held down a job writing for a newspaper in that span, & considering the sharp decline of newspaper readership, that's no small feat,

That may be true, but I still haven't seen any real accomplishments. 

I don't know who he is, so maybe I should remove myself from this conversation. 

On 8/15/2018 at 4:56 AM, DaveA1102 said:

Holder is a very good beat reporter and I also enjoyed the Chopping Wood podcast he did with Zak Keefer.  Often gave more insight than many podcasts and so was always a good listen.

Wish him all the best and, unfortunately, seems to follow the trend of local news staff numbers dwindling.

I've checked for new episodes of Chopping Wood the past couple of days out of habit, immediately remembering they won't be a thing anymore.

On 8/15/2018 at 11:02 PM, Lawrence Owen said:

I usually enjoyed watching/reading Holder and Bowen's articles and video's. They were never afraid to tell the truth of what they saw even if it was contrary to popular opinions.

I think Kevin Bowen's coverage of the Colts is excellent, I actually think its much better since he left Colts.com media, as he critiques the Colts more strongly. I guess he couldn't be too critical of the Colts while being part of the organisation but his coverage has been very insightful on 1070thefan and one can see he has good knowledge of the game. He did a great podcast with Matt Danely recently.

Yeah it is a significant loss for Indystar but it appears he will still be doing Colts reporting with The Athletic. Don't really care for his political commentary but he did do some good Colts reporting over the years.

On a side note, it looks like The Athletic is garnering a whole crop of sports reporters from different newspaper outlets and the like all over the country. We've already been witnessing the downfall of major newspapers across the country but this appears to mark a significant step in that direction IMO.