Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Upset With Irsay [Merge]

manningstheman

Irsay ALWAYS says "um" and "uh" in his conferences(it actually irritates me). That is absolutely nonsense to think he sounded the way he does(directed at the Chicago guys not you)

Also its not just Mannings cap hit. Its possible Freeney is released, Clark, Addai, Brackett.They all contribute to the salary cap problem too. It was just an unfortunate year where most of our F/A's are leaving and others are not living up to the money they are being paid.

so he didn't see these cap problems coming prior to signing him last JULY???? He obviously doesn't know what he's doing.

• Replies 568
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Irsay ALWAYS says "um" and "uh" in his conferences(it actually irritates me). That is absolutely nonsense to think he sounded the way he does(directed at the Chicago guys not you)

Also its not just Mannings cap hit. Its possible Freeney is released, Clark, Addai, Brackett.They all contribute to the salary cap problem too. It was just an unfortunate year where most of our F/A's are leaving and others are not living up to the money they are being paid.

Add Wayne and Garcon and Gonzo and Saturday to that list.

so he didn't see these cap problems coming prior to signing him last JULY???? He obviously doesn't know what he's doing.

He didn't expect Freeney, Clark, and Addai to have average seasons and Brackett to go on IR. He didn't expect Manning to be injured either. Its not fair to blame Irsay in hindsight.

you have absolutely no proof this is the best, you actually have NOTHING! This is about having an owner who is completely out of touch with 99% of Colts nation. He thinks he is bigger than the horseshoe

In my opinion, it is best. Don't get me wrong, I am a huge Peyton fan and wish him nothing but the best moving forward. However, does it make sense to tie up so much cap space to two players at one position? And is it more respectful to let Peyton go out and win championships with another team or keep him here and force him to play behind a shaky O-line, a poor defense, new coaches with new schemes, new management, and to force him to mentor his replacement? Peyton has plenty of money and isn't a greedy person, so this isn't because of money. This is because he wants to win; if he thought his best chance to win a championship was here in Indy, he would have restructured and stayed. And that's no knock on Peyton. He is a competitor and wants to go the place where he has the best opportunity win a championship, you can't blame a guy for that.

Not really, its separating the fans of the Colts and the fans of Manning. Colts fans will continue to be Colts fans, Manning fans will become Dolphin fans.

Its like some didnt see this coming for the last 6 months or so. Irsay isnt dropping Manning just becuase. He has a multi billion dollar business to run and is thinking about what is best for his business long term.

I agree it SUCKS that Manning will suit up for another team, but it he was not going to be a Colt forever, we are in a position to get another franchise qb. Harbaugh to Manning to Luck There are teams who have had zero descent qbs in 20 years, we have the chance to go from 14 with Peyton to possibly aother 14 with Luck,

Believe it or not we are fortunate to hit the QB lottery twice. True colts fans will accept Luck and do the same thing they have always done. Root for the horseshoe to win on Sunday.

Man I always root for the horseshoe

He didn't expect Freeney, Clark, and Addai to have average seasons and Brackett to go on IR. He didn't expect Manning to be injured either. Its not fair to blame Irsay in hindsight.

oh yes it is, how does them being healthy change our cap problems you suggest? His poor mgmt skills are really showing. He needs to get a basic college degree in business admin or manage a McDonalds prior to getting a NFL team.

Blame him for what. He let Manning go because we are rebuilding and it really wouldn't be fair for Manning to stay on a rebuilding team. Both men left in good terms

Instead of blaming one side we should celebrate Peyton and get ready for Luck. The past is done and we will have great great memories of Manning

Some said Irsay declined to negotiate and restrcture the contract with Manning. He has made up his mind long time ago but never admitted. No respect for him.

"Some say....."

That's the problem right there. Putting to much stock in a rumor.

You think this is the way that it would play out if Manning didn't have a mutual agreement with Irsay? No way.

buck stops with Irsay

The general manager makes the decisions on which players to bring in. Irsay may pay the money but Irsay is not hand picking players like Kerry Collins (cost us 4 million for nothing), Corey Simon, and all the other terrible signings.

Ok an OUTSIDERS perspective here:

1. Irsay did what was best for the Colts, AND Manning. Why do so few realize Manning knows he is older and doesn't want be on a rebuilding team and wants a chance win another Championship elsewhere. The Colts were NO WHERE CLOSE to being a SB winning team.

2. Manning is one bad hit away from the end of his career, and Irsay if he traded the #1 pick and what is considered the best QB in years , then lost Manning the Colts be in rebuild for even longer

But mistly this is best for Manning!! He doesn't want to be on a rebuilding team he wants win now... so Irsay was showing loyalty to his player.

Every football player is one bad hit away from ending his career.

Irsay, you are an.. letting go Manning for a guy who didn't want to come to Indy in the first place? sorry but this is just cr**, with Manning, we had more consecutive playoff years than Luck could ever aspire or even think about... you want to rebuild the team? well, don't expect three or four lousy seasons besides last one in order to start having 8-8 and perhaps 9-7, but dominate afc south like before? with houston playing like they have and titans? forget it! hopefully we will have a more less good team in five years, but you will be dealing again with age problems, salary caps and FAs... and with our club's policy with FAs, well I can't expect nothing else but deception for several years to come... that's the way you pay the guy who in fact, ever did something for Indy, he still had at least 3 more good years c'mon!!... way to go pal!!!

buck stops with Irsay

That cliche. Jim hires GMs for a reason, he was 1 once and was terrible at it. That's why most owners have a GM. If the GM >>>s up, then they are fired and replaced. Jim did his job as a owner, his GMs >>>ed up, so he fired them.

Irsay, you are an.. letting go Manning for a guy who didn't want to come to Indy in the first place? sorry but this is just cr**, with Manning, we had more consecutive playoff years than Luck could ever aspire or even think about... you want to rebuild the team? well, don't expect three or four lousy seasons besides last one in order to start having 8-8 and perhaps 9-7, but dominate afc south like before? with houston playing like they have and titans? forget it! hopefully we will have a more less good team in five years, but you will be dealing again with age problems, salary caps and FAs... and with our club's policy with FAs, well I can't expect nothing else but deception for several years to come... that's the way you pay the guy who in fact, ever did something for Indy, he still had at least 3 more good years c'mon!!... way to go pal!!!

Didn't want to come to indy in the first place? Stopped reading there.

I listened to the press conference on ESPN Chicago. Afterward the unbiased chicago analysts stated that Irsay sounded uprepared, winging it, and lost. Peyton sounded prepared, a professional, and couragious.

I couldn't agree more. Irsay's umm's and uhh's werent emotional related, he was un-prepared and sounded unsure of his choice. This is a great example of how he always is and will be.

My biggest point where I have lost all respect is the fact that he mentioned "salary cap problems" multiple times. Who created those problems? Who wanted to pay Manning all that money? Dont' blame Polian, the buck stops with Irsay! Those problems weren't Mannings fault. Manning is going to play in NFL and teams are licking their chops to play with him. It was about money, it's not about peformance. And in the end it wasn't Manning's choice. He told him in florida it was time to part ways. (another lie)

Irsay is unable to make good choices, and now with Manning not around to cover up what a bad owner he is and how unprepared he is to run this team into the future. Manning is Irsay's success, Irsay is nothing NOTHING without manning.

So break out your Irsay Fatheads and take down your Manning ones. It's awful to have this silver spoon fed man running his team.

thank god we had Manning for 14 years, what a professional he was, is, and always will be.

The Horseshoe is broken, and not even luck can fix that.

If all you did was 'listen' to the press conference, then what you are saying makes sense. Irsay came out, and from my perspective, spoke from the heart. From all reports, and what has been well documented here...the last 22 hours have not been very good for him. Half his 'fanbase' is turning on him, hes getting twitter threats...the guy was emotional, cut him a break. Its not an easy job Irsay has...and if he made business decisions based purely on emotion, youd be surprised how it bad it would turn out. Peyton then stepped up and read off a piece of paper... Maybe thats why he sounded more prepared...because he was reading a speech. I thought both men did a tremendous job, and I felt for both of them. None of the emotion from them was faked, and its clear that neither wanted to part ways but it the situation called for it.

I usually just read but thought this warranted posting. I agree with most of what Zebra is saying. Don't give me the I'm just a Peyton fan garbage cause I've been here since Trudeau and the first Jersey i ever bought was Harbaugh. My only problem with this opinion is it kinda baffles me that anyone thought that Jim Irsay was loyal,respectful,honorable or anything remotely close. The Irsay's have and always will be corporate scum. Look at the track record, wrapped the team up in the middle of the night like a bunch of theives. Then look at the players they've steamrolled, Unitas,Harbaugh,Faulk,James, and the list goes on. However the Harrison argument is dumb, a guy was murdered with his hangun and he's still being investigated to this day. Colts didn't have a choice. I will still continue to watch and even root for them, their just not getting another dime from me for this. If you don't like what has happened, you should do the same. Then Irsay can sit back and think about 28 million bonus compared to the hundreds of millions of dollars that manning made for him.

If all you did was 'listen' to the press conference, then what you are saying makes sense. Irsay came out, and from my perspective, spoke from the heart. From all reports, and what has been well documented here...the last 22 hours have not been very good for him. Half his 'fanbase' is turning on him, hes getting twitter threats...the guy was emotional, cut him a break. Its not an easy job Irsay has...and if he made business decisions based purely on emotion, youd be surprised how it bad it would turn out. Peyton then stepped up and read off a piece of paper... Maybe thats why he sounded more prepared...because he was reading a speech. I thought both men did a tremendous job, and I felt for both of them. None of the emotion from them was faked, and its clear that neither wanted to part ways but it the situation called for it.

He wasn't prepared for the cap in 2012 - it's his fault

His GM wasn't peforming since 2006 in the draft or FA - his fault

He isn't prepared for anything- including his press conference

he's making the call about peyton but hasn't done anything right his entire career except sign checks to peyton

I usually just read but thought this warranted posting. I agree with most of what Zebra is saying. Don't give me the I'm just a Peyton fan garbage cause I've been here since Trudeau and the first Jersey i ever bought was Harbaugh. My only problem with this opinion is it kinda baffles me that anyone thought that Jim Irsay was loyal,respectful,honorable or anything remotely close. The Irsay's have and always will be corporate scum. Look at the track record, wrapped the team up in the middle of the night like a bunch of theives. Then look at the players they've steamrolled, Unitas,Harbaugh,Faulk,James, and the list goes on. However the Harrison argument is dumb, a guy was murdered with his hangun and he's still being investigated to this day. Colts didn't have a choice. I will still continue to watch and even root for them, their just not getting another dime from me for this. If you don't like what has happened, you should do the same. Then Irsay can sit back and think about 28 million bonus compared to the hundreds of millions of dollars that manning made for him.

it's funny how he wanted to pay manning the most in the league, and now he's having "cap problems'

what an dipstick

Come on, now you're making something out of nothing. Irsay said um and uh at his press conference, so he was completely unprepared and has no emotional attachment to this situation and doesn't care at all?

face it, he's not prepared or smart enough to run a NFL team

his inability to see the cap problems, combined with his ego, combined with his inability to connect with fans over this situation is proof of this. He is a failure without peyton, prove that he's not!!

Ah so you've never once told a lie in your entire life whether it's a big lie or a small lie?? That's great to know we have a Buddhist Monk on the forum.

I never said that. Just stated what I don't do. I don't lie and you can call me a monk or whatever I don't care. I'm not going to try to convince you either way. But I do have guidelines as an adult I don't cross. But if you lie I'm fine with that just don't expect me to believe a word you say....

his inability to see the cap problems, combined with his ego, combined with his inability to connect with fans over this situation is proof of this. He is a failure without peyton, prove that he's not!!

Prove that he is not? Well, let's see where the team goes in the next few years. How does he have an inability to connect with fans over this situation? Us fans are speaking out of emotion, and that's not the best thing to do as an owner. The man is clearly very dedicated to winning and he cleaned house and brought in new coaches and management after a long and lengthy search. I don't see any reason why his smartness should be questioned. You, and other fans, may not agree with his decision, but that's doesn't mean he is wrong. In fact, in my opinion, his decision was the best thing for both sides

if Luck doesn't pan out why is it Isay's fault. look at all the QB's that were good in college that failed after being said they were great. you can only go by what you see on tape and hope that it translate to the next level. Luck or whoever we draft is going to be under a lot of pressure to perform due to who they are replacing. it is unfair to judge them on the basis of a future HOFer he is taking over for. I for one hope Luck is all they say he is but if he is not we will have to look for another QB. We all have been spoiled by a great QB and we all didn't want this day to come but it has and most fans ar not dealing with it rationaly. Though i wish the circumstances were different but they are what they are and i knew this day was coming a bit sooner than i would have liked but it has so deal with it

Ok I am man enough to admit when I'm wrong. I spoke alittle to quick.

3) It's PM's decision if he wants to continue playing for the Colts, even though we are in rebuilding mode, and should not expect a SB run anytime soon. Given PM's age, and limited years to play, it is up to him to decide if he wants to stay with a rebuilding team or go elsewhere in search of the ring again.

Well? that's what Irsay said this afternoon. Could it be that Irsay's admiration for PM goes so deep that he told him "I'm not going to retain you. We're rebuilding and your best chance for success will be with a better team?"

Well? that's what Irsay said this afternoon. Could it be that Irsay's admiration for PM goes so deep that he told him "I'm not going to retain you. We're rebuilding and your best chance for success will be with a better team?"

Yes, what I listed were only 3 possibilities. There are many. many more possibilities that I have not listed. The point I was attempting to make was that Irsay was not lying when he said that it was Peyton's decision, because I can think up at least 3 scenarios of what Irsay might be thinking that would show that this statement was not a lie.

Make up your mind.

Either he's incompetent and should have someone else running things, or he's the one who should be making decisions.

Still trying to be rational with some of the posters? You are much more patient than I.

Yes, what I listed were only 3 possibilities. There are many. many more possibilities that I have not listed. The point I was attempting to make was that Irsay was not lying when he said that it was Peyton's decision, because I can think up at least 3 scenarios of what Irsay might be thinking that would show that this statement was not a lie.

Well, I do think Irsay back tracked on the whole "It's Peyton's desision" and decided PM didn't know what was best for PM

But he WASNT running the franchise. As you say, he just signed checks.

Make up your mind, please. Either he's unfit to run a team or he shoved off responsibility for past failures; it can't be both. Irsay was "hands off" until NOW, but aparently he can't run a team so he should remain "hands off". I don't get it. I really don't. Indianapolis, you must have some crazy water to make people think like this.

The 2-14 team was Bill Polians terrible idea to build an entire team around one QB and have him carry the team to the SB. The 2012 team will be much different with a new GM, new coach, new scheme. I see no reason why Peyton wants to come back to this team.

Why, because it was his team. Win or lose. I dont get what peps dont understand. He has never been on opportunist. He is and always be a football player!