Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Upset With Irsay [Merge]

manningstheman

You think it's that big of a deal? All it takes is Jim Irsay or someone else getting all the variables in order in their mind and they resign him. It's not that difficult...

I think I will just let you sweat it out for the weekend then. Um..........

• Replies 568
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Get over it at times people. It's a sport and he runs a business in the end.

He is the owner and in the end can do what he freaking wants.

It's just the truth.

Goodness, I think it's a little more than that.

pretty historic relationship that's ending. And as seen in the PC, it's personal as well as business

Anyway, give us some time to get to where you are.

You think it's that big of a deal? All it takes is Jim Irsay or someone else getting all the variables in order in their mind and they resign him. It's not that difficult...

Did you watch the * press conference? It wasn't just a show, he's not coming back. You need to realize this and accept it.

Goodness, I think it's a little more than that.

pretty historic relationship that's ending. And as seen in the PC, it's personal as well as business

Anyway, give us some time to get to where you are.

Thats not the point. The point to me is that Irsay being the owner can't IMO please EVERY single fan.

My family has run a business my whole life. You often have to make grueling decisions you do not like for the future too.

I understand why some are upset, I shed a tear earlier too.

I am not sure though I get why so many fans here have to act like Irsay is the devil though.

The circumstances usually aren't right for it to happen but a few come to mind...

Montana to Young

Favre to Rodgers

Manning to Luck ;)

I really hate to see this happen and I too thought Manning would finish out his career as a Colt, but it wasn't meant to be so we have to pick up the pieces and look to the future. We can't change the past and dwelling on it won't make us feel any better about it... As fans lets just hope it turns out the best for all involved - including us. :)

Right...but that was 1-for-1, and the rebuilding process took a long time, with success marginally equivalent to the predecessor. This is a whole out-shoveling of players and coaches, and then dumping the one guy that could have kept your team winning for a few more years while the rebuild took place.

Completely different.

Jim Irsay has said over and over again that if Peyton is healthy he will be a Colt. Then he said money was not a factor. Then he says its up to Peyton if he wants to play.

This afternoon, we will see the real Jim Irsay. Letting go of the soon to be HOF QB even though Peyton said he wanted to come back.

Although I can understand why this happened. I can not stand the fact that he stood in front of camera's, talked to media, and even tweeted about how much he wanted Peyton back. But, in the end, it sounds like he knew all along he was getting rid of him. It is reported that Irsay says its not about money, or health, or Peyton wanting to come back. It is that he wants to rebuild the team. So, he should have been a man and said that from the beginning.

I respected Jim, now I think its fair to say we are all just *s in his opinion. He can lie to us, and we will all just accept it. And, us loyal Colts fan will. Its just a sad sad situation.

I think when he said it he was thinking like most of us,a fan,and we really don't fans running the business. I think as time has gone by he realized the situation the team was in(needing more than just PM)and has done the hard thing. Jim did'nt have the look of a liar on his face today,he had the look of a hurt man who just made a very tough decision. I would be willing to bet that Jim Irsay is more hurt and having a harder time with this, than any of us on this board.

I do.

Manning might have wanted to retire a Colt, but I'm betting he wants to win another Superbowl more and I don't blame him for that. I think Irsay wanted Manning to retire a Colts, but I'm betting he understood that the teams needs to rebuile more and I don't blame him for that.

I don't think that Irsay truly believes deep down this team is destined for 3 wins per season for the next few years.

He has to say this though.

You are a cold cold man. I don't see how anyone can say there was deception or ineptitude here. I think Irsay held the same blind hope I did..........so I relate

Right up until he said it was over......in spite of myself.......I believe there was still a chance.

that's just human imo

I don't see how it's cold at all. I just don't see how it could be both. If he was fully informed, then there was some deception. If he wasn't fully informed then was offering blind hope.

Based on that, I still see people saying he can be resigned... He can.. but it's not going to happen.

I just don't see it being cold at all. I think the more he thought about change i.e. Polian/Caldwell being shipped out, that he became more informed. Just my opinion. He became less transparent, took on a larger role and had better grasp of the situation.

The original poster is expressing frustration, sadness, grief, etc. It's not up to us to flame said person just because it isn't a part of the "accept it" or "goodbye and thank you" attitude. While I realize that the majority of the most frequent posters on these boards are a part of the group that registered when it became apparent we would be in the Luck-stakes, that doesn't mean they are the only voice permitted.

I think when he said it he was thinking like most of us,a fan,and we really don't fans running the business. I think as time has gone by he realized the situation the team was in(needing more than just PM)and has done the hard thing. Jim did'nt have the look of a liar on his face today,he had the look of a hurt man who just made a very tough decision. I would be willing to bet that Jim Irsay is more hurt and having a harder time with this than any of us on this board.

Yep.

I'm not angry because it was clear that this was coming

Very sad is what I am

Well I choose to listen to someone directly involved in Irsay instead of a bunch of media types who have mysterious sources. Then he turned on everything he said by not even renegotiating with Manning, even though he really wanted to comeback here. So why not see what's the lowest offer and the shortest contract he would sign?

Why the sudden change of heart, rightnow I feel like someone who was told what I wanted to hear and now at that last second he takes it back.

Its not the decision but rather the bullpatties that's got me peeved off.

I do.

Manning might have wanted to retire a Colt, but I'm betting he wants to win another Superbowl more and I don't blame him for that. I think Irsay wanted Manning to retire a Colts, but I'm betting he understood that the teams needs to rebuile more and I don't blame him for that.

I will give you that this team will not win a SB again for a while, if they ever do. Their best chance was with Peyton and resigning the core players again. I have a feeling this team isnt going to look anything like it has in the past. But, that was Irsay freaking out because we didnt win without Peyton, but thats another story. Let me add I hope they do win.

Peyton wanted to retire a Colt. He doesnt have anything to prove to himself. I dont think its about going after another SB. He wanted to win another in Indy. This is now him just playing because he still feels he can, and most people around him are saying he is looking real good. I hope him the best.

The original poster is expressing frustration, sadness, grief, etc. It's not up to us to flame said person just because it isn't a part of the "accept it" or "goodbye and thank you" attitude. While I realize that the majority of the most frequent posters on these boards are a part of the group that registered when it became apparent we would be in the Luck-stakes, that doesn't mean they are the only voice permitted.

Well thats luckily not the case for me.

Thats not the point. The point to me is that Irsay being the owner can't IMO please EVERY single fan.

My family has run a business my whole life. You often have to make grueling decisions you do not like for the future too.

I am not sure though I get why so many fans here have to act like Irsay is the devil though.

Irsay is the Devil or at the very least a Succubus. :devil:

Wow, you my friend are the embodiment of the denial stage of grief.

Are you grieving? I may be a little, but I'm more on the side of logic. If Peyton does leave the colts, I hope he goes to the Texan's! That would be great! Not as great as him winning with the colts though...

Gotcha

I essentially feel the same way. In fact my husbands entire business is ending right now......so, this stuff doesn't seem so serious to me

I don't feel Irsay is being treated fairly at all.

My heart broke for both of them today. They both got to be part of something special.

And it really is surreal that it's over

But I have to say i feel pride that they are both so emotionally attached to this team.......same as the fans are.

I will give you that this team will not win a SB again for a while, if they ever do. Their best chance was with Peyton and resigning the core players again. I have a feeling this team isnt going to look anything like it has in the past. But, that was Irsay freaking out because we didnt win without Peyton, but thats another story. Let me add I hope they do win.

Peyton wanted to retire a Colt. He doesnt have anything to prove to himself. I dont think its about going after another SB. He wanted to win another in Indy. This is now him just playing because he still feels he can, and most people around him are saying he is looking real good. I hope him the best.

You might be right. So many are obsessed with THE SUPER BOWL. Well only 1 team can win it and odds never favor you.

I believe Peyton when he said he has nothing to prove. He does want to play though if he can.

Gotcha

I essentially feel the same way. In fact my husbands entire business is ending right now......so, this stuff doesn't seem so serious to me

I don't feel Irsay is being treated fairly at all.

My heart broke for both of them today. They both got to be part of something special.

And it really is surreal that it's over

But I have to say i feel pride that they are both so emotionally attached to this team.......same as the fans are.

Agree with this post.

And no I won't bash Irsay either. I think this was heart wrenching for him too.

Well I choose to listen to someone directly involved in Irsay instead of a bunch of media types who have mysterious sources. Then he turned on everything he said by not even renegotiating with Manning, even though he really wanted to comeback here. So why not see what's the lowest offer and the shortest contract he would sign?

Why the sudden change of heart, rightnow I feel like someone who was told what I wanted to hear and now at that last second he takes it back.

In my mind........and this may or may not be how it actually went down

I think that Irsay is clearly going to draft a QB and that new guy will need reps in practice. Peyton has never shared reps and I doubt he ever will.

I bet it came down to that. I don't think it was about the money for Peyton. he said it wasn't and I believe him

So it had to be about something else

Ok, so do you still think it was really a mutual decision. Jim had his head down the whole time Peyton was talking. He knows he disrespected the man. He knows what he said in the past and what he was doing now was not the same.

Yeah actually I do after seeing the press conference. I believe that Peyton would have played here forever if possible but that he understood as he put it, "times and circumstances change". Both men realized that and were able to put themselves in the other's shoes. If possible I believe that both would have preferred for Peyton to finish his career here, but given current circumstances it was in the best interest for both men to part ways for now. I do believe that Peyton will be back in some capacity in the future. He still has his home in Indy and plans to remain connected with the city. It's a sad day today and both men struggled to keep from breaking down at the podium. Irsay looking down was probably his way of doing so. Peyton's voice cracked several times and that got to me. But both men did what they had to do. I respect both for that.

Are you grieving? I may be a little, but I'm more on the side of logic. If Peyton does leave the colts, I hope he goes to the Texan's! That would be great! Not as great as him winning with the colts though...

When did the "side of logic" become so darn illogical? Ramblinwreck, that's a fitting name.

In my mind........and this may or may not be how it actually went down

I think that Irsay is clearly going to draft a QB and that new guy will need reps in practice. Peyton has never shared reps and I doubt he ever will.

I bet it came down to that. I don't think it was about the money for Peyton. he said it wasn't and I believe him

So it had to be about something else

I too hope Irsay is just taking the fall for a situation he and Peyton couldn't work out. If it was announced at the presser that they are parting ways because they couldn't agree on a contract, the backlash could be even worse.

If this is what really happened then Irsay let Manning walk away without blame, which would be commendable. But I don't know what the truth is.

But if its true Irsay just wants to start over with a new QB, he should of said that from the beginning. Its hard to believe Irsay changed his mind on this at the last second.

I hope Irsay is just being the fall guy.

Yeah actually I do after seeing the press conference. I believe that Peyton would have played here forever if possible but that he understood as he put it, "times and circumstances change". Both men realized that and were able to put themselves in the other's shoes. If possible I believe that both would have preferred for Peyton to finish his career here, but given current circumstances it was in the best interest for both men to part ways for now. I do believe that Peyton will be back in some capacity in the future. He still has his home in Indy and plans to remain connected with the city. It's a sad day today and both men struggled to keep from breaking down at the podium. Irsay looking down was probably his way of doing so. Peyton's voice cracked several times and that got to me. But both men did what they had to do. I respect both for that.

I understand they are friends and it hurt. Then I guess that Jim just should came out and said that along time ago. There was no reason to drag everyone along for the ride. It sounds to me he knew for a while the real out come.

Peyton can and will still retire as a Colt. This isnt the parting of Favre, who stumbled on the way out the door with scandles and ill-begotten retirements. 2-4 years from now Peyton will sign a 1 day contract, put on the #18 jersey one last time, and go out as a Colt.

I made peace with Peyton leaving the Colts a long time ago, anyone who didnt see that as a real possibility only hurt themselves. So, until Peyton officially retires my three Manning Jerseys will go into a drawer where they wont be worn. Gonna miss him a LOT, but Im still going to go to the games, Im still going to bleed blue

When did the "side of logic" become so darn illogical? Ramblinwreck, that's a fitting name.

You seem to be in a bad mood or something. Logic says to keep Peyton Manning and trade the #1 draft pick. I don't see how it's so hard for some people, especially a guy like Jim Irsay, to see that. It's not over yet though.

I'm sorry you feel that way.

While I'm sad, I see the wisdom and necessity of parting ways.

Sad but, it is what it is.

Disagree completely. This was not necessary. It was absolutely not necessary. PM could easily have stayed a Colt and played a vital role in maintaining fan lyalty during a period of rebuilding and handover to a new generation of QB. But that is not to be. As for wisdom, I do not see the wisdom of throwing the baby out with the bathwater, which is in effect what I fell has been done with the Colts and Peyton Manning.

Part of me thinks that this was a decision driven by the vanity of an organizational leader who wanted to stamp his authority over everything. Part of me thinks this was a decision driven by a decision maker caught up in a tidal wave of change. All of me thinks that the decision was wrong, blinkered and handled in the most appalling way possible.

This may seem like a bit of a cliche, but try being in his shoes. He's doing what's best for the club and I trust him. If we played this game, you can say that about any owner.

as tough of a decision as it was, i think he was going to get flack for it regardless of whatever way Irsay went. Just a tough day in general, but whats done is done Manning is a legend regardless

At the same time that it's hard, the OP is acting a bit spoiled.

You're getting Andrew Luck to come in here. If it just today became about "just business" any more than when Harrison left or when Saturday or Reggie Wayne will leave, then you should go pull for peyton's new team when he signs elsewhere.

It had to happen at some point. There will be no Andrew Luck in 2, 3 years or 4 and so on.... you have to realize that it took unforseen and freak circumstances for this to happen.

I respect how you feel and am empathetic as a fellow fan. I believe that this was a hard decision for Irsay and that he wrestled with it going back and forth. You can't put too much stock into the quotes made in the papers. As shown they can be misleading. People often change their minds through the course of conversation, deliberation, evolving circumstances, and when actually staring a $28 million deadline in the face. To the bolded comment I would say that this would have just delayed the inevitable seperation another year or two. Eventually the transition from Manning to Luck or whoever was going to happen and the rebuilding progression of the franchise would have been compromised if Peyton remained here. Even with Manning, we were probably not going to win another Super Bowl in the near future as this team just has too many holes for him to try and cover at this stage.

You seem to be in a bad mood or something. Logic says to keep Peyton Manning and trade the #1 draft pick. I don't see how it's so hard for some people, especially a guy like Jim Irsay, to see that. It's not over yet though.

No, because the Colts don't truly know if the Peyton Manning you're going through a war of words for here will ever truly be back. As much as you want it and everyone wants it he hasn't played in a long time and has been through major surgeries and there are too many uncertainties.