Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Upset With Irsay [Merge]

manningstheman

Sure, point is just dont make those big statements then. If you do, back it up.

I prefer to think he did back it up. They both waited for the deadline to try everything they could to make it work. Narrow glimpses at the goings on, coupled with the usual media spin, gives us a warped view, but we want to assume we know exactly what has transpired. That's not realistic.

• Replies 568
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't blame Irsay. Blame Polian. If he puts better talent on the field, Peyton gets another Super Bowl or 2 and then everyone is okay with Peyton leaving because his legacy is secure. Because he only has 1, Colts fans feel like he left some on the table and Peyton feels that way, too. Polian was ruling the roost and that had a lot to do with Irsay cleaning house.

I prefer to think he did back it up. They both waited for the deadline to try everything they could to make it work. Narrow glimpses at the goings on, coupled with the usual media spin, gives us a warped view, but we want to assume we know exactly what has transpired. That's not realistic.

No he didnt. If money isnt the issue, what is it?. Lets not make it complicated. He just shouldnt have made those statements.

You can prefer to think whatever you want though :-)

Manning preferred to remain with the Colts, one source said, but a source close to Irsay said the owner concluded that the major restructuring of the organization would include a change at quarterback, likely either former Stanford quarterback Andrew Luck or former Baylor quarterback Robert Griffin III.

One source close to Irsay said the decision was not financially driven, evidenced by the fact

the owner chose not to engage in negotiations to restructure Manning's contract.

http://espn.go.com/n...nning-wednesday

Interesting that it's a source close to Irsay saying this. I don't vilify Irsay, but I think he made big statements not expecting Peyton to be healthy and not expecting Peyton to want to choose to come back.

Interesting that it's a source close to Irsay saying this. I don't vilify Irsay, but I think he made big statements not expecting Peyton to be healthy and not expecting Peyton to want to choose to come back.

agreed, last year he errored by thinking Peyton will play, now does the reverse , He never should of tweeted all he did & say its up to peyton

2 huge mistakes by making assumptions

he was hoping peyton would retire,but peyton would not buy into that crap. then irsay had to try to save face.... it's a business but this is a sad time for us hard core Colts' fans

For everything that happened - parting of the ways is a business decision and we will have to live with that. BUT I agree - Irsay was hoping Peyton would retire and when PM didn't...Irsay was oh %*$!

Sure, point is just dont make those big statements then. If you do, back it up.

Jim Irsay did back it up.... unless you choose to forget that he backed up a Brink's truck to Peyton's driveway for 14 years, and Peyton absolutely deserved every penny of it until when?????

Until his health became an issue. Front and center.

No injury.... no 2-14 record, no Andrew Luck arguments, no uncertainty.... just Peyton at the helm covering our weaknesses and our perpetual salary cap tap dance.

Money was and is by FAR a secondary issue... and only ever became an issue at all after Manning's health took an unfortunate jolt.

I ask you..... that if Manning in the next 2 weeks and in the midst of a free agent frenzy for his services puts on a public workout to where he shows 100% recovery... or anything approaching it.... will that in any way make you wonder why he didn't openly display that before this decision was made?

And if he cannot display 100% or close to 100% recovery.... does that mean anything to you regarding the tough decision Irsay had to make?

No he didnt. If money isnt the issue, what is it?. Lets not make it complicated. I just shouldnt have made those statements.

You can prefer to think whatever you want though :-)

You don't want it to be complicated, but it isn't as simple as you wish it was.

If not money, what it is? How about the need to field a team. How about the need to field a decent product to keep fans entertained, not just this next season, but 5 years from now, and 10 years from now, and on into the future. How about fears of being the team that rushed Manning onto the field again, only to see something truly tragic happen to him.

I am a fan of taking people at their word, and despite the vitriol on this site, I haven't seen anything to suggest Irsay hasn't been sincere.

I loved my ex-wife. I promised her I would love and honor her until death do us part, and I sincerely meant it. Only things changed. She changed. I changed. Our circumstances changed. She filed for divorce, and I chose not to fight it. That didn't negate the sincerity of my promise to her. I decided I could best love and honor her by moving on.

agreed, last year he errored by thinking Peyton will play, now does the reverse , He never should of tweeted all he did & say its up to peyton

2 huge mistakes by making assumptions

I agree Irsay would have been better served by not making those public statements. I do think that this is best for both Manning and the Colts. Manning will be able to go to a better team and the Colts can start to rebuild. It would not be good for Manning to stay here a year or two, at most, while Luck develops. Manning would be better off with a team that has better talent. A previous poster said that if you want to blame someone then blame Polian, I have to agree, this team is bereft of talent especially on the O and D lines.

I agree Irsay would have been better served by not making those public statements. I do think that this is best for both Manning and the Colts. Manning will be able to go to a better team and the Colts can start to rebuild. It would not be good for Manning to stay here a year or two, at most, while Luck develops. Manning would be better off with a team that has better talent. A previous poster said that if you want to blame someone then blame Polian, I have to agree, this team is bereft of talent especially on the O and D lines.

If he hadn't made those public statements, fans would bash him for not caring Manning, ignoring him, etc... just remember what was here after that certain Kravitz interview.

Its a hard job to be an NFL owner.

Manning is who i want my boys to be like. Irsay is who I do not want them to be like. One has class and one doesn't. One is built with strong character and one not. For 35 years I've been a Colts fan and today I realize I can no longer be a fan

Edited by Maureen
personal shot, no namecalling please

If he hadn't made those public statements, fans would bash him for not caring Manning, ignoring him, etc... just remember what was here after that certain Kravitz interview.

Its a hard job to be an NFL owner.

It is hard, I just think that he would have been better off if he had not made those particular statements. Manning also should not have said some of the things he did in that interview.

Manning is who i want my boys to be like. Irsay is who I do not want them to be like. One has class and one doesn't. One is built with strong character and one not. For 35 years I've been a Colts fan and today I realize I can no longer be a fan of a team who's leader is a rich scumbag.

Don't let the door hit you on the way out. What did Irsay do that was so bad to Manning, pay him all that money, compliment him in the media all the time, say how much he likes Manning? Sometimes things just don't work out due to circumstances, it does not mean that either is a bad or classless person.

I dont like how Jim handled this to be honest, and well he did say "is not about money" ..to me it looks that this about money and Luck.

i understand the move i just dont like how Jim handled all this.

Well.... under the circumstances there was never gonna be an easy way for Irsay to handle it.... and 5 months of stone cold silence and his release today would have likely been met with equal backlash.

Maybe worse.

Like I said earlier..... without the neck/nerve injury we'd be on a completely different planet today.

Jim Irsay has said over and over again that if Peyton is healthy he will be a Colt. Then he said money was not a factor. Then he says its up to Peyton if he wants to play.

This afternoon, we will see the real Jim Irsay. Letting go of the soon to be HOF QB even though Peyton said he wanted to come back.

Although I can understand why this happened. I can not stand the fact that he stood in front of camera's, talked to media, and even tweeted about how much he wanted Peyton back. But, in the end, it sounds like he knew all along he was getting rid of him. It is reported that Irsay says its not about money, or health, or Peyton wanting to come back. It is that he wants to rebuild the team. So, he should have been a man and said that from the beginning.

I respected Jim, now I think its fair to say we are all just *s in his opinion. He can lie to us, and we will all just accept it. And, us loyal Colts fan will. Its just a sad sad situation.

He is moving on in a rebuilding phase of this franchise. Get over it!

Well.... under the circumstances there was never gonna be an easy way for Irsay to handle it.... and 5 months of stone cold silence and his release today would have likely been met with equal backlash.

Maybe worse.

Like I said earlier..... without the neck/nerve injury we'd be on a completely different planet today.

thats probably true. but i mean the whole PR battle and the whole saying money is nto a problem when i reallity this is all about money and cap space and Luck

why does every colt fan gloss over the fact manning had 4 neck surgeries and health is the reason Irsay is moving on? I feel like people are under the assuption that Manning is 100% healthy and ready to throw 45 TD's this year

EXACTLY my thoughts...Just because of a video shot at Duke or speculations everyone is acting like Peyton is 100%...he is far from 100 and we will not know how he'll play till we see his first game(with a new team it looks like).

No matter how much we all love Peyton, this was the right decision. It isn't worth the risk of paying 28Million to an injured Peyt in hopes he will recover to the old PM we all know him as. Just imagine if we paid 28 million to Peyton and he wasn't able to play at the start of next season? Or if he was mediocre or just doesn't have the Laser Rocket Arm we know him by or maybe get hurt early in the season? We would be a franchise in ^chiz^, at least this way we can start rebuilding completely and have a completely new office/coaches/players/and especially QB. I can't wait for the future of the Colts and see good times coming. I just hope the fans are not too hard on Luck and expect a 10-win season. It will take a couple years to completely rebuild but this is a great beginning with one of the best QB prospects of all time looking to light it up in LOS, I can't wait! Go Colts!

I agree Irsay would have been better served by not making those public statements. Manning will be able to go to a better team and the Colts can start to rebuild. It would not be good for Manning to stay here a year or two, at most, while Luck develops. Manning would be better off with a team that has better talent.

That may be true, but he has to get first acclimated with that teams offense & receivers & may take time

Here if traded ist pick for many draft choices, u never know what holes may have been plugged and by whom if he was allowed to restructure his contract and if he was wiling to

so to many ifs to base how he does in future compared to if stayed under a restructed contract or whatever

That may be true, but he has to get first acclimated with that teams offense & receivers & may take time

Here if traded ist pick for many draft choices, u never know what holes may have been plugged and by whom if he was allowed to restructure his contract and if he was wiling to

so to many ifs to base how he does in future compared to if stayed under a restructed contract or whatever

After watching Manning during his career I do not believe that it will take him too much time to acclimate to his new teammates. As long as the new teammates are willing to put in the extra work, I know Manning will.

A lot of fans are hating Irsay right now, but I doubt he is the maniacal tyrant that some are making him out to be. To be fair, Peyton probably isn't the boyscout or saviour that all seem to making him out to be either. I'm a Colts fan, but I'm also a realist.

It cracks me up that everyone seems to know Jim or Peyton personally, because they have all the details and know exactly what both are thinking. How do I get invited to hang out with either of these guys? (sarcasm.. )

The point is, this is a business decision. It's the most difficult decision Peyton or Jim have ever had to make. But in the end, it was made by both sides. Neither is the bad guy here.

I don't lie... So speak for yourself!!! If luck don't work out and I'm not going to crucify him but I will hate Irsay.

if Luck doesn't pan out why is it Isay's fault. look at all the QB's that were good in college that failed after being said they were great. you can only go by what you see on tape and hope that it translate to the next level. Luck or whoever we draft is going to be under a lot of pressure to perform due to who they are replacing. it is unfair to judge them on the basis of a future HOFer he is taking over for. I for one hope Luck is all they say he is but if he is not we will have to look for another QB. We all have been spoiled by a great QB and we all didn't want this day to come but it has and most fans ar not dealing with it rationaly. Though i wish the circumstances were different but they are what they are and i knew this day was coming a bit sooner than i would have liked but it has so deal with it

A lot of fans are hating Irsay right now, but I doubt he is the maniacal tyrant that some are making him out to be. To be fair, Peyton probably isn't the boyscout or saviour that all seem to making him out to be either. I'm a Colts fan, but I'm also a realist.

It cracks me up that everyone seems to know Jim or Peyton personally, because they have all the details and know exactly what both are thinking. How do I get invited to hang out with either of these guys? (sarcasm.. )

The point is, this is a business decision. It's the most difficult decision Peyton or Jim have ever had to make. But in the end, it was made by both sides. Neither is the bad guy here.

Agree, they did not look like they hated each other on the plane ride this morning. Irsay and Peyton make a joint decision and suddenly, because some fans want Manning to stay no matter what, Irsay is Satan.

I believe you are 100% correct about this. People want to see things as black and white.........good and evil.........liar and saint

But, the world is shades of gray

Reality is difficult sometimes that's just life

What I'm hearing is Peyton wants to leave because he doesn't believe the Colts give him the best chance to win another Super Bowl. If that is the case, and he is certainly entitled to his opinion, then I say good riddance to him or any other player that doesn't believe in his team's ability to win it all because a team with players that don't believe can't. Can't never could.

Jim did say it was totally a health issue and money was not the problem. Now that Manning has shown serious signs of improvement, money has become the issue. Anyone who thinks Jim did not know the spinal fusion was an option from day 1 is fooling themselves. The doctors who operated and worked with Manning and the Colts are the best in the country and I'm sure Jim has been thoroughly informed on Manning's health dating back to his first procedure.

I'm a Colts fan through and through, but Jim has been very shady and worried about his hometown rep too much in this. Fans have a good nose for ^cowpatties^; All the flip-flopping about it being a health issue, then it being a cap issue, the drunken tweets at 2 in the morning, have all led to a diminished respect for Jim from this Colts fan.

thats probably true. but i mean the whole PR battle and the whole saying money is nto a problem when i reallity this is all about money and cap space and Luck

Yes.... the PR battle wasn't fun. I'm just chalking it up to the general uncertainty and uncharted waters Irsay and Manning were in.

I can understand sadness on the part of Colts fans.... I'm not enjoying this. But I can't understand bitterness and attacks on Jim Irsay. Under ideal circumstances this day is still 3-4 years off.... and 12 months ago Jim Irsay happily put another 90M on the line hoping for that, and included a colossal roster bonus which amounted to a no-trade clause.

That tells me that money was never an issue.... but was rather thrust into consideration by Manning's health, which also triggered a lousy season and the inevitable Andrew Luck discussion.

And IMO.... that is why the OP is completely wrong saying that Irsay lied.

Unfortunately, under these crappy circumstances, Jim Irsay has had to conclude that the next 10-12 years are a higher priority than the next 2-3 years.

And I agree with his decision.... with no disrespect to Peyton or Colts fans having a tough time today.

I believe you are 100% correct about this. People want to see things as black and white.........good and evil.........liar and saint

But, the world is shades of gray

Reality is difficult sometimes that's just life

I read a comment earier where someone said they didnt want to know all the details, Im on the opposite end of that thinking I would love to know all the details so that I could place blame where it is due. To be able to see it black and white as you have said, but I concur things are almost always gray. That doesn't make this any less disappointing.

All of you saying dont let the door hit ya.. well, hope you dont drowned while this ship is sinking.

Um okay. It will be okay. I am looking outside and the sun is out with blue skies. The true Colts fans will stand behind the team through thick and thin. I am thankful that I have my health my family. I am thankful I still have an house. Think outside of Manning and the Colts for a second. Think of what down in southern Indiana is dealing with with lives lost and lives turned upside down because of the Tornado's. Your life will be okay, you can follow Manning wherever he may land and be a fan of that team. I am staying put, I am staying true blue to the Colts and will keep tabs on Manning and on his next team.