Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Any traction for Khalil Mack?

Myles

I just ask because I seen an article

https://sports.yahoo.com/m/df761ef7-c278-3f42-a2bf-42a5bb4b887b/ss_a-trade-for-khalil-mack.html

It likely can go without saying what type of an impact Mack would bring to the Colts defensive line and defensive unit as a whole. The No. 5 overall pick from the 2014 NFL Draft would bring elite production to a unit that has needed it desperately for years.

Since entering the league in 2014, Mack has started every game for the Raiders. In those 64 games, Mack has recorded 40.5 sacks, 11 passes defended and nine forced fumbles.

Mack, 27, would also be a perfect fit for the new defensive scheme the Colts are running under new coordinator Matt Eberflus. A scheme that puts heavy emphasis on the defensive line getting pressure on the quarterback, Mack would fit in perfectly.

While Colts fans could daydream all day about Mack suiting up in Colts blue, the price is what is likely keeping most teams out of the running in a trade for the elite pass rusher.

With Mack still in his prime, the Raiders are likely going to want one or two first-round picks and/or a player they could plug in with upside in exchange for the Buffalo product.

The Colts do have some draft capital they could swing the Raiders way. They also have some young players with some upside to bargain with if they don’t feel comfortable giving away two future first-round picks.

With a first-round pick and a player like Tarell Basham or Quincy Wilson, it might be enough to intrigue the Raiders.

Having Mack in his prime with the upside of the younger players in the pass rush would certainly be exciting.

Ballard has put a lot of emphasis on the draft for the current rebuild, especially when it comes to constructing the defensive line, but the Colts would be getting consistent elite production from Mack.

The other problem teams face with Mack’s situation is the root of his current holdout. He wants more money from the Raiders, and the Colts are one of the few teams that could give him what he desires.

The Colts are among the teams with the most salary cap space entering the regular season so they would easily be able to give Mack the multi-year deal he is seeking in the first place.

All of this is great for discussion, but it is highly unlikely the Colts make a move of this magnitude. Ballard believes in building the roster and the locker room with the majority of players brought in through the draft.

That isn’t to say it is impossible. The league is unpredictable, and if Ballard feels it would work out in the long run, then there is a chance he pulls the trigger.

But the likelihood is that the Colts stand pat, leaving Indy fans only to wonder what Mack would look like coming off the edge at Lucas Oil Stadium.

• Thanks 1

I'd like to have him but my mind questions this. Are we ready as a team to have $$$ in a player like Khalil right now? Maybe would be a great decision after a few more drafts stacked up so our team has a better position to go all the way to the Super Bowl first. I'd be a little excited to have him now if the possibility arose. But I doubt it. We're young and inexperienced with a brand new coaching staff at the moment.

If we could get him, that'd be great. Be glad I'm not the GM, because if it took a first round pick to get him, I'd do it. But the Raiders aren't (shouldn't) going to move him. They'll figure it out. 

Side note, the worst deal in the NFL, hands down is Gruden's contract. That's going to be a hilarious flame out.  Bank on it.

• Like 6

With the cap space we have right now, it’s probably the best time to do something like this. We don’t have a massive amount of big contracts needing to be paid in the next couple of years, outside of maybe Olinemen.

My only issue would be the price tag from Oakland. If I’m them I holdout for a kings ransom. I’m thinking a 1 and a 2. If not more. I’m not sure I’m willing to give that up for a player who is already going to be 28 at the end of the season.

Use the cap muscle we have on FAs and build through the draft. Trust the process.

If Oakland were willing to do Mack for a 1st and either Basham or Wilson I would probably do this now.  I just don't see Oakland settling for that.  Someone will give up the 2 1sts or a 1st and 2nd.

...and, yes, I agree that the Gruden contract is beyond ridiculous.  They'll be wishing he's gone in 3 years, I'm betting.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Myles said:

I just ask because I seen an article

https://sports.yahoo.com/m/df761ef7-c278-3f42-a2bf-42a5bb4b887b/ss_a-trade-for-khalil-mack.html

It likely can go without saying what type of an impact Mack would bring to the Colts defensive line and defensive unit as a whole. The No. 5 overall pick from the 2014 NFL Draft would bring elite production to a unit that has needed it desperately for years.

Since entering the league in 2014, Mack has started every game for the Raiders. In those 64 games, Mack has recorded 40.5 sacks, 11 passes defended and nine forced fumbles.

Mack, 27, would also be a perfect fit for the new defensive scheme the Colts are running under new coordinator Matt Eberflus. A scheme that puts heavy emphasis on the defensive line getting pressure on the quarterback, Mack would fit in perfectly.

While Colts fans could daydream all day about Mack suiting up in Colts blue, the price is what is likely keeping most teams out of the running in a trade for the elite pass rusher.

With Mack still in his prime, the Raiders are likely going to want one or two first-round picks and/or a player they could plug in with upside in exchange for the Buffalo product.

The Colts do have some draft capital they could swing the Raiders way. They also have some young players with some upside to bargain with if they don’t feel comfortable giving away two future first-round picks.

With a first-round pick and a player like Tarell Basham or Quincy Wilson, it might be enough to intrigue the Raiders.

Having Mack in his prime with the upside of the younger players in the pass rush would certainly be exciting.

Ballard has put a lot of emphasis on the draft for the current rebuild, especially when it comes to constructing the defensive line, but the Colts would be getting consistent elite production from Mack.

The other problem teams face with Mack’s situation is the root of his current holdout. He wants more money from the Raiders, and the Colts are one of the few teams that could give him what he desires.

The Colts are among the teams with the most salary cap space entering the regular season so they would easily be able to give Mack the multi-year deal he is seeking in the first place.

All of this is great for discussion, but it is highly unlikely the Colts make a move of this magnitude. Ballard believes in building the roster and the locker room with the majority of players brought in through the draft.

That isn’t to say it is impossible. The league is unpredictable, and if Ballard feels it would work out in the long run, then there is a chance he pulls the trigger.

But the likelihood is that the Colts stand pat, leaving Indy fans only to wonder what Mack would look like coming off the edge at Lucas Oil Stadium.

traction? nope.

There was also a great article written yesterday by Rick Walz of Silver and Black Pride entitled "The long View on the Mack Standoff".  I don't know how to post it but it's a great read from a Raider perspective.   They think the Raiders should trade Mack now.  They are shooting for two 1's and a player but who really knows.  We do have the draft capital and even the possibility of additional capital with a Brissett trade sometime in the future.  What an impact he would be to our defense.  A leader that our young players could really follow.  To me I would find it hard to pass on acquiring such a young premier talent at a huge position of need.  I am starting to believe that they will try to move him.  And I think we are one of the more obvious destinations.  I can't believe Irsay wouldn't love this guy on our team.  He also fits the mold of current Ballard FA additions when it comes to age and experience.   I actually think this has a chance of happening just before the season starts.  I sure hope so. 

• Like 1

This is not the time to "break the bank" on a trade, albeit for an incredible player.  This would cost us draft picks, which we can't afford to trade away during this rebuild process.  If we are truly 2-3 years from being championship contenders, then making a deal like this makes no sense right now.

This is the type of deal you make if you're 1 or 2 elite players away from making that last jump from playoff team to serious championship contender.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Who wouldn't want Khalil Mack? This defense needs all the help they can get and if giving up a first round pick for a Pro Bowl guy is what it takes, count me in!

10 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

I would trade Terrell Basham or Quincy Wilson and a 1st rounder for Khalil Mack in a hot second. 

No one wants them. Lol

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Barry Sears said:

This is not the time to "break the bank" on a trade, albeit for an incredible player.  This would cost us draft picks, which we can't afford to trade away during this rebuild process.  If we are truly 2-3 years from being championship contenders, then making a deal like this makes no sense right now.

This is the type of deal you make if you're 1 or 2 elite players away from making that last jump from playoff team to serious championship contender.

I respectfully disagree - if we're talking one draft pick and another player which we have some depth at.  Mack is a game changer that makes the whole defense better.  He's also aguably better than our next 1st rounder, seeing as we'll probably be picking around the 12-15 range or so.  With him we could be be expediting our "3 year plan".

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I would rather give up 2 second round picks, which is probably not going to be enough

We have no idea, where we are drafting this year

Supposed we tanked this year........ It could happen

Lets say that Lucks shoulder comes back in play mid year ......... It could happen

We would miss on some great talent, when we need it the most

I say pass, if they want our 1st........ if we suck this year, there are some excellent DE/DL choices that can be had in top 5 picks

30 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

I would rather give up 2 second round picks, which is probably not going to be enough

We have no idea, where we are drafting this year

Supposed we tanked this year........ It could happen

Lets say that Lucks shoulder comes back in play mid year ......... It could happen

We would miss on some great talent, when we need it the most

I say pass, if they want our 1st........ if we suck this year, there are some excellent DE/DL choices that can be had in top 5 picks

None of which are guaranteed to be anything close to Mack.  A maybe for a sure thing.   I'll take the sure thing. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Barry Sears said:

Actually this may be the best time for the Colts to "break the bank".   They have cap space and draft picks.   They need help at the position.  

I've seen so many people on here talk about the Colts going 10-6 or better with Luck this season.    No need to wait.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MB-ColtsFan said:

I respectfully disagree - if we're talking one draft pick and another player which we have some depth at.  Mack is a game changer that makes the whole defense better.  He's also aguably better than our next 1st rounder, seeing as we'll probably be picking around the 12-15 range or so.  With him we could be be expediting our "3 year plan".

I see your point and like all things, it would depend on that current player on our roster.  I wonder what current player we have at a position of depth?  Maybe a d-lineman so they could try and replace his spot on their roster?

24 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

None of which are guaranteed to be anything close to Mack.  A maybe for a sure thing.   I'll take the sure thing. 

I would love to have Mack, but......... I have trouble thinking that he wont be a Raider Sept 1

The going sentiment is, that you NEVER get rid of a pass rusher

Some of the dialog is posturing from both sides...... probably 

I just have been a believer that you dont give up a first round pick..........

If the unthinkable happens, and Luck somehow reinjures his shoulder, we might need it

Probably a moot point...

33 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

I would love to have Mack, but......... I have trouble thinking that he wont be a Raider Sept 1

If the unthinkable happens, and Luck somehow reinjures his shoulder, we might need it

Probably a moot point...

All I can say is a lot of teams miss on 1st. rounders.  They are no sure things.  Dorsett, Richardson, Werner come to mind.  And there are many more.   Mack is definitely worth a 1st at a minimum.  Smart GM's know when to take advantage of an opportunity like this.  You don't get a chance at a player like Mack every day or year for that matter. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

Probably a moot point...

I always thought you give up a 1st rounder in a heartbeat if it lands you a proven player.    A 1st round pick gives a team about a 50% chance of getting a good player.   Much less of getting a player of Macks quality.  

• Like 2

I realize Mack is proven, but if Ballard gave up the opportunity to take Chubb for more picks, it's hard to see him turning around and giving up a 1st.  

I think he'll give Turay and Basham a few seasons to develop.

• Like 1

To me, the 1st round pick would probably depend on where we pick next draft. Unless this team just bombs, I think we’ll be picking in the late teens, early 20’s area. If it’s higher than late teens, a 1st round would probably be enough for Oakland. 

This is all just talk though. Highly doubt it would happen. 

1 hour ago, #12. said:

I realize Mack is proven, but if Ballard gave up the opportunity to take Chubb for more picks, it's hard to see him turning around and giving up a 1st.  

He gave up the chance to draft Chubb because he wanted Nelson anyway.  

Giving up a 1st for Mack is an easy choice.   Giving up two 1sts would be the hard choice.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Myles said:

He gave up the chance to draft Chubb because he wanted Nelson anyway.  

Giving up a 1st for Mack is an easy choice.   Giving up two 1sts would be the hard choice.   

No, he gave up the chance to draft Chubb for more picks, and used one on a pass rusher.  There was no guarantee Nelson was going to be there.  Many had him going to Denver.  

Bottom line - it was the additional picks he was after, not Nelson in particular, so, after drafting a pass rusher, I have a hard time seeing him turn around and use high picks and recent draft choices to get right back to where he was initially.

1 hour ago, WoolMagnet said:

I'll bet you are LOADS of fun at a party.

haha

I would say I am. There is a reason why there is a FA board. When its offseason...I get it. But the new season is here and there was a specific reason the mods have a board for players who are not Colts. Unfortunately, you let one poster violate it, then the damn breaks loose and every FA anyone considers a possibility gets it's own thread. 

Mods generally dont move stuff till someone sends them a PM, and that is not my way. I pointed out it was the wrong forum. If nothing happens, nothing happens. Not really concerned. But it was worth mentioning.

Now that one time at a party with the beer bong....

• Like 1

4 hours ago, #12. said:

Nicely put as I think some are sleeping on the current roster. 

4 hours ago, #12. said:

Actually I can see him giving up a 1st.  That would be an easy choice for me.  And they can have Turay or Basham too.  Still a great trade for both teams.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, #12. said:

No, he gave up the chance to draft Chubb for more picks, and used one on a pass rusher.  There was no guarantee Nelson was going to be there.  Many had him going to Denver.  

Bottom line - it was the additional picks he was after, not Nelson in particular, so, after drafting a pass rusher, I have a hard time seeing him turn around and use high picks and recent draft choices to get right back to where he was initially.

Yep...Ballard just played the odds. This was one of the better drafts to trade back IMO. 

Getting Mack would be a game changer for this defense. I would like I keep some of our young guys like Turay, Hooker, and Leonard on the team though and not have them as part of the package to give them. I’d be okay with a 1st and 2nd if we are confident Luck will start the majority of games this year. They’ll end up being mid to late 1st and 2nds anyhow. 

34 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

Most (if not all) GMs should be. 

I agree and I just listened to Chris Ballard talking to Mike Florio tonight on his program and he mentioned that he or Dobbs is on the phone with all of the GM's all the time keeping tabs on every teams situations as the season begins to unfold.  He mentioned the Brisett trade and that when you do a trade you want it to work for both teams.  You don't want to get the reputation that you are trying to put something over on someone.  Both sides have to feel they made a good and fair deal.  And that trust and honesty is important.  So I think it's safe to say he or Dobbs have had some conversations with MacKenzie. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, #12. said:

We are both correct on this.   He made the trade because he knew he was going to get Chubb or Nelson at #6.   He would also pick up additional picks.   It was a very smart move.  

I can't see him giving too many picks, but giving up a probably 1st round pick in the teens and a couple other pieces would be OK for a player of Macks caliber. 

I still don't see it happening, but it is fun to think about.