Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Sign WR Matt Hazel, RB Branden Oliver

CR91

I was not impressed with Hazel last year.

Ballard should have signed Devin Lucien, before the Patriots did last week.

Oliver has ties to Reich, and had some success in SD.

Had good college career playing for University at Buffalo SUNY

I see him as a decent acquisition.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/sports/wp/2014/10/22/overlooked-in-nfl-draft-chargers-branden-oliver-rushes-to-top-of-rookie-rb-class/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.2ce56b0501ef

...It’s not as if Buffalo’s pro-day workout for NFL scouts was off the radar, however. All NFL teams were represented with the school’s standout linebacker, Khalil Mack, on his way to being the fifth overall pick in the draft in May. Oliver, who had rushed for 1,535 yards and 15 touchdowns in his final season at Buffalo, ran his 40-yard dash in 4.53 seconds and performed 26 bench-press reps...

These two signings tell me they like who they still have on the depth chart more than anything else.

Hazel won't outplay any of Williams, Brent, Pascal or Fountain....

Oliver, while he has experience in a version of Reich and Sirianni's offense previously, he's not filling the shoes of Turbin as the power back, and nor is he beating out Hines, Wilkins or Mack right now.

These are quite simply, camp bodies...

• Like 2

I'd like to see more of Fountain showcased the next few games with the #1 offense. Oliver can get lost behind the OL at times, from what I have seen in the past, and that has helped him with making a few shoot-the-gap runs. Yes, he is a one cut runner, like others have alluded to.

11 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

These two signings tell me they like who they still have on the depth chart more than anything else.

Hazel won't outplay any of Williams, Brent, Pascal or Fountain....

Oliver, while he has experience in a version of Reich and Sirianni's offense previously, he's not filling the shoes of Turbin as the power back, and nor is he beating out Hines, Wilkins or Mack right now.

These are quite simply, camp bodies...

Yup, and we need them.  Let them take a good number of snaps - especially in pre-season games.  Better them getting injured than the the guys we already have at those positions.