Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Frank Reich Conference Call

TKnight24

Tough news. Chester time now. I have never figured out why a well conditioned athlete can just tear an ACL running down the field. They do it all the time. We are talking best athlete's in the world. I used to run 5-7 miles a day for almost 20 years and even ran in the Mini-Marathon and never tore anything. I am not even close to a Pro athlete. Chester and Grant have their chance to step up and have Good seasons. 

• Like 4

That's a hard one to take on Cain but let's put it in perspective.

Was he in line for a decent role in the offense this year? Yes.

Would he make the top 15 of players we wouldn't want to be injured? I don't think so.

Injuries are, and will always be, a part of the sport. It could be a lot worse for us (we could be the Chargers or even the 2017 Colts) so let's not overreact to what is disappointing news.

Next man up.

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Tough news. Chester time now. I have never figured out why a well conditioned athlete can just tear an ACL running down the field. They do it all the time. We are talking best athlete's in the world. I used to run 5-7 miles a day for almost 20 years and even ran in the Mini-Marathon and never tore anything. I am not even close to a Pro athlete. Chester and Grant have their chance to step up and have Good seasons. 

I do question the role of artificial turf on this one. 

Although I would also say the extreme cuts and jukes these guys do will be a significant strain on the knee joints.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Just now, DaveA1102 said:

I do question the role of artificial turf on this one. 

Although I would also say the extreme cuts and jukes these guys do will be a significant strain on the knee joints.

Yeah it could be alot of the cause. I watched the game and I honestly didn't see him get injured. I missed a little bit of the game here and there. Was it just a fall or did he get hit? 

23 minutes ago, TKnight24 said:

Ouch

16 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I was extremely conditioned in 2008, ran twice a day, 4-5 miles each time, plus other calisthenics and aerobics, had a 6 minute mile average pace.  I tore my ACL PCL and Patella Tendon running a straight line on a track damp with dew in Indy. No prior history of Knee injuries. Or any injuries for that matter. 

It happens. All it takes is the right slip at the wrong time.

• Like 2

This really sucks. Sure, the whole "maybe some other young guy can step up" sort of-silver lining is there, but yeah, still doesn't make it sting any less. Especially since Chester hasn't really proven to stay healthy for a year and we just lack guys there overall.

Maybe KJ Brent, Kasen, or Pascal can earn a spot.

1 minute ago, csmopar said:

Ouch

I was extremely conditioned in 2008, ran twice a day, 4-5 miles each time, plus other calisthenics and aerobics, had a 6 minute mile average pace.  I tore my ACL PCL and Patella Tendon running a straight line on a track damp with dew in Indy. No prior history of Knee injuries. Or any injuries for that matter. 

It happens. All it takes is the right slip at the wrong time.

Wow I guess I was lucky. I know it can happen but I think of Pro athlete's as being top notch. I had soreness and now even have foot problems and aches but never tore anything. I had basically around an 8 minute mile if I Jogged/ran 7 miles or so. A 6 minute mile is great if you run 5-7 miles.

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Wow I guess I was lucky. I know it can happen but I think of Pro athlete's as being top notch. I had soreness and now even have foot problems and aches but never tore anything. I had basically around an 8 minute mile if I Jogged/ran 7 miles or so. A 6 minute mile is great if you run 5-7 miles.

I'll be honest. I was a varsity wrestler, letterman, I joined the Army, where the culture was if you were hurt, you were thought of as a coward and weak. I admit I thought that of injured people myself. Until I got hurt, kind of karma paying me back.

it ended my career path. I've not been the same physically or mentally since. The mental thing is not to be understated. Every time I run now, there's a little voice praying with every step that I can take another without eating pavement. I admire the athletes that can come back from injuries with out that voice. I've not been able to fully put that out of my head since.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah it could be alot of the cause. I watched the game and I honestly didn't see him get injured. I missed a little bit of the game here and there. Was it just a fall or did he get hit? 

I watched the game but don't remember seeing him get injured so assume it was non contact and he was OK enough at the time to get to sideline, unless I missed it.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Boiler_Colt said:

Hate to see this for Cain. Also worried about the long term sustainability of Mack. I feel a veteran RB move coming soon. Perhaps Alfred Morris?

They already worked out Orleans Darkwa. He's at the top of my list, if they think Mack will be out more than 3 weeks. If not, they should be fine with the guys they have.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HtownColt said:

I thought he suffered a serious injury with the Patriots

Nope. Hamstring injury, and his injury settlement with the Patriots suggests it's not too serious. Speculation says he might be ready at the start of the season. I think just having someone in the stable for midseason would be nice, assuming Rogers (who struggles to stay healthy himself) and other young guys don't step up. I think Matthews would be an ideal slot, and he knows Reich's offense.

Side note: They probably won't move Cain to IR until the end of the preseason, otherwise they have to expose him to waivers. 

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Superman said:

Nope. Hamstring injury, and his injury settlement with the Patriots suggests it's not too serious. Speculation says he might be ready at the start of the season. I think just having someone in the stable for midseason would be nice, assuming Rogers (who struggles to stay healthy himself) and other young guys don't step up. I think Matthews would be an ideal slot, and he knows Reich's offense.

Side note: They probably won't move Cain to IR until the end of the preseason, otherwise they have to expose him to waivers. 

Was wondering about the waiver thing.

5 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Neither.   Cain didn’t fall or get hit.

Cain planted and cut on what may have been a “dig” rout.   He’s running fast in one direction, then is planting as fast as he can to change direction practically 180 degrees.  And he did it on artificial turf which has a tendency to grab the cleats on a shoe.

That’s a recipe for a ligament blowing up even not hit.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Athletes at that size with that type of fast twitch can put so much torque on a knee. Julio Jones is a great example of this. It’s not normal to be that big and that athletic...and his legs act up quite a lot.

• Like 2